lupis is.... a party killer

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

I know all you leet players are gonna tell me I just need a better group, or to learn how to play better, but what ever… I play this game for fun, not as an obsession.

All I am asking for is a waypoint closer to lupis… is that really so much to ask? Then I can spend more time learning how to kill the dang thing, instead of aggravating myself with a pointless, unproductive run across a zone I have already mostly completed.

TWO hours or more to get to lupis, most people are ready to take a break or call it a night. Then first wipe at lupis, you have to waypoint almost back to the start and run back to the fight, hoping one straggler doesn’t die on the way, which takes time to rez. and is annoying.
I have yet to get into a arah group that has not decided to call it a night after failing lupis three or four tries. I think the biggest reason people call it quits is they are tired of waypointing and running everytime they wipe.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I guess you mean P1? Yea, there should be a closer WP, idk why there isn’t.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

Because Anet programmers. Isn’t it something like the waypoint that should be in P1 is actually in P2 or P3?

Retired. Too many casuals.

Reanne.5462

ya I have failed in path 1 because of this, and also I think Path 4.
Maybe its psychological, but running is exhausting.

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

This is actually a pretty reasonable request. There should be more WPs in some dungeons, I feel. Some have them way too far back and it just gets tedious running again, should you fail.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

I joined an arah run part way thru once… i was so confused…

Posted by: Delay.6908

Delay.6908

This is actually a pretty reasonable request. There should be more WPs in some dungeons, I feel. Some have them way too far back and it just gets tedious running again, should you fail.

didnt they already add some waypoints to some dungeons like TA? I seem to recall having less waypoints there then we have now.. but that might just be my bad memory acting up :s

Dr Winston | [DnT]

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

didnt they already add some waypoints to some dungeons like TA? I seem to recall having less waypoints there then we have now.. but that might just be my bad memory acting up :s

They did indeed. TA is actually a nice example of them adding enough.

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

Because Anet programmers. Isn’t it something like the waypoint that should be in P1 is actually in P2 or P3?

yup, that is why you get an extra completely irrelevant WP in P3, and I think there is a path where you get 2 wp’s with the exact same name like 1 metre from one another.

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

I expected this to be a crummy L2P thread but… this is a pretty reasonable request.

Posted by: Dub.1273

Dub.1273

The “missing” waypoint in p1 actually isn’t missing. In p3 and p4 it appears when you complete the orb way. In p1 it appears after you killed the jotun stargazer (endboss).
Doesn’t make too much sense to add a waypoint onelce the dungeon is completed, but hey, it is not missing!

PS: The p2 waypoint is ~90 units next to the p1 waypoint, it’s not the same one, even though it has the same name.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

lupi is the usual gimmick boss.
Watch a youtube video (not a speedrun) and its easy :/

It kills people because…

No LOGIC or visual clue to the grub mechanic…..(how people is supposed to understand its avoidable?)

AoE red circles totally non coeherent: they are horizxontal projectiles…aoe are just useless because you get hit in the trajectory between lupicus and the circle.

random focusing making hard sometimes to do something against “bubble” for a pug party.

As usual totally frustrating first time boring from 2nd forever…..

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

While they’re at it, they should also fix the bug in p3 where the chicken script doesn’t continue because the party reached Lupicus too fast. Because that just forces players to have to waypoint back to Lupi. It’s annoying having to waypoint back and run through corridors you’ve already been through.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Wukunlin.8461

most of the time that is caused by npc dying, stupid risen malrona

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Most WPs are still placed with the zerg rushing in mind (that makes you think about when was last serious update do DGs).

They should do a re-run across all paths and give them new locations, with some thought in it.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Wukunlin.8461

well we saw how much thought they put into the last dungeon change

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think this is a very reasonable request.

Arah Path 1 has some of the more interesting fights in the game right now, but the scarcity of waypoints in this dungeon makes it more frustrating than fun.

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

No LOGIC or visual clue to the grub mechanic…..(how people is supposed to understand its avoidable?)

The attack itself has a visual cue and when you have been tagged with it there is another obvious visual cue. It also says summons insects right under his name.

AoE red circles totally non coeherent: they are horizxontal projectiles…aoe are just useless because you get hit in the trajectory between lupicus and the circle.

So put the circle between you and lupi if you can’t pop a defensive skill.

random focusing making hard sometimes to do something against “bubble” for a pug party.

Basically everything in this game random focuses, there’s no class with a taunt skill. Bubble in a pug party? Use stability and walk out of it.

As usual totally frustrating first time boring from 2nd forever…..

Only in the way that everything else takes forever and is boring with a slow pug party. If it’s soloable in under 10 minutes then why does it take a party of 5 15?

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Yes, very painful to wipe at lupi in path 1.

But as long as we don’t have a convenient wp… if the fight’s going south, best to have the remaining member(s) flee the room to reset lupi. You may need to run some distance into the previous room if he’s chasing you. As long as one player survives, once he resets they can safely go back in and res the rest of your team, then try again.

Reanne.5462

Yes, very painful to wipe at lupi in path 1.

But as long as we don’t have a convenient wp… if the fight’s going south, best to have the remaining member(s) flee the room to reset lupi. You may need to run some distance into the previous room if he’s chasing you. As long as one player survives, once he resets they can safely go back in and res the rest of your team, then try again.

This is what I mean by annoying, Laying dead with 3 members of your party while the one member who has been playing more cautious than the others, runs out of the room, hopefully not aggroing other mobs, breaking agro with lupis, hopefully not dying, standing around doing nothing while foes reset, so he can safely come back and 1 by 1, rez everyone. And if your lucky there won’t be 3 sets of locusts sitting by Lupi waiting for you to come back, like there was for me last night.
This makes the run take too long, most normal people will have dinner to make, kids to put to bed, dishes to wash, homework to do. People lose interest in the dungeon and feel their time is better spent elsewhere in the game, There is a lot of stuff to do.

The point of this thread is the necessity of a waypoint.

We don’t need people like Lord Byron explaining the gimmick on how to kill the boss, like that is the solution. There are plenty of threads in this forum about how it can be done. Some of us need more practice than others to get these ‘gimmick’ bosses to die, but if the group falls apart after 2 tries, the run is over. 3 hours wasted and the desire to play gw for the rest of the night is diminished.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

There probably isn’t a Waypoint near Lupicus because one opens after he is killed, I guess.

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Considering P1 is otherwise the easiest dungeon in the game and the shortest Arah path, but is still worth 3g, a bit of an extra walk back to Lupi in the event you wipe seems like a fair tradeoff.

Dub.1273

I still don’t get that “easiest path in the game and fastest arah path” thing.You can do 7-8 minute p3 runs without exploiting, i doubt that’s as easy for path 1. Not even to mention how fast p2 can actually be.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

He couldn’t be wrong because he has his spreadsheet as a proof.
Assume his group is as elite as it could be, on Path 1, the Ooze boss took around 2m, the Crystal gangs took around 1m, the Oily guy took around 2:30m from start to finish and the last boss 30s. Total time of bosses are 6m.
Path 3, the 1st mob 30s, the Crusher 1m, the mage 1m and the last boss 2m from start to finish. Total time of boss & mobs are 4:30m.
Path1 run lengths are longer than path 3.
Lupi temple’s fight doesn’t count because it’s a common factor for the same group.
Add spreadsheet fudge factor to subtract 30s from path 1 and add 30s to Path 3, Path 3 fights are still 30s faster than Path 1.
The only thing that could throw his group off to make path 3 is very much longer than path 1 is if his group doesn’t know how to throw the orbs.

People are too serious of their knowledge.

(edited by SkyChef.5432)

Dub.1273

No, in his spreadsheet an elite group dies twice at hunter/crusher because of the poison field.

Dub | [rT]

Broadicea.8294

he’s got to come up with something now that people have accepted his ranger claims

Dub.1273

I don’t accept his ranger claims. Ranger is still a trash profession to take into many dungeons. Even though i enjoy playing ranger from time to time, bringing an other profession is almost always a better choice.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

You take 2 bears on your ranger, that’s not an accurate test of ranger ability

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

Lacking Pure of Voice, the bear comes with a help.

Broadicea.8294

I don’t accept his ranger claims. Ranger is still a trash profession to take into many dungeons. Even though i enjoy playing ranger from time to time, bringing an other profession is almost always a better choice.

Ranger can bring just above HALF the DPS of any individual party member and Frost Spirit + Spotter end up being a party DPS boost over taking a different class.

Dub.1273

I wish i would go with double-bear but sadly i didn’t meet one i could charm

@Broadicea: I know. Thats actually the only reason why taking rangers into dungeons isn’t like “the worst” choice. Still, in AC you’re better adding an ele or a warrior (or a guardian for path 2), for arah you’re better adding a warrior (p1, 2, 4) and for TA, you probably want a thief, guardian or mesmer. Ranger sounds good in theory, practically you better first get perma 25 vuln and might without too much effort before thinking about a ranger buffs. Not to mention utility and overall effectivity.

Dub | [rT]

(edited by Dub.1273)

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

I wish i would go with double-bear but sadly i didn’t meet one i could charm

@Broadicea: I know. Thats actually the only reason why taking rangers into dungeons isn’t like “the worst” choice. Still, in AC you’re better adding an ele or a warrior (or a guardian for path 2), for arah you’re better adding a warrior (p1, 2, 4) and for TA, you probably want a thief, guardian or mesmer. Ranger sounds good in theory, practically you better first get perma 25 vuln and might without too much effort before thinking about a ranger buffs. Not to mention utility and overall effectivity.

FINALLY I can post this screen
BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments:

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Bear sandwich!

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Eugene doesn’t like all of this bear hate. Leave them alone.

But I mean I do path 1s with Guang and his gang from time to time to sell spots at the end and they go pretty fast. It takes the 4 of us like 15 – 20 minutes tops with no voice communication. It’s pretty nice, especially considering you can sell the spots at the end for 10g.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Dub.1273

That still doesn’t make path 1 the fastest or easiest arah path.

Dub | [rT]

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

That still doesn’t make path 1 the fastest or easiest arah path.

I don’t think that it is, but it’s not as hard as most people seem to think.

Brazil

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

But I mean I do path 1s with Guang and his gang from time to time to sell spots at the end and they go pretty fast. It takes the 4 of us like 15 – 20 minutes tops with no voice communication. It’s pretty nice, especially considering you can sell the spots at the end for 10g.

15-20 minutes to do the path then an hour of waiting for people to buy the slots.

I still don’t understand why pugs think Shoggroth is hard.

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

15-20 minutes to do the path then an hour of waiting for people to buy the slots.

I still don’t understand why pugs think Shoggroth is hard.

I’ve seen people I consider good players wipe on him over and over and it blew my mind. It’s a very easy boss.

Brazil

Dub.1273

Pugs think Legendary Shoggroth is hard?
I always thought pugs don’t do this path because they can’t do the skips.
Still waiting on any arguments why path 1 is easiest and fastest path, btw.

Dub | [rT]

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

And I’ve seen people wiping on Brie. Doesn’t particularly mean anything.

Posted by: Nikaido.3457

Nikaido.3457

The lack of waypoint is why pugs don’t do this path more than anything else.

I pug path 2 almost every day again since the patch just like I used to, and it has the very convenience of letting you get waypoints in very convenient spots for the rest of the group when they don’t know/can’t skip or whatever. Usually in pugs there’s often that one guy who absolutely can’t get to the abomination.. well no big deal you three/fourman it or whatever and get the wp.

In path 1 you can’t really carry someone through almost everything the way you do in path 2.

- “No tears, please. It’s a waste of good suffering.”

Dub.1273

You obviously can with portals.

Dub | [rT]

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

The lack of waypoint is why pugs don’t do this path more than anything else.

I pug path 2 almost every day again since the patch just like I used to, and it has the very convenience of letting you get waypoints in very convenient spots for the rest of the group when they don’t know/can’t skip or whatever. Usually in pugs there’s often that one guy who absolutely can’t get to the abomination.. well no big deal you three/fourman it or whatever and get the wp.

In path 1 you can’t really carry someone through almost everything the way you do in path 2.

You can solo every boss except for Shoggroth legit. They’re all easy. Then if absolutely necessary you switch to mesmer and portal the pugs through. I usually end up doing that for the pugs if I ever run P1 with them.

Nikaido.3457

You obviously can with portals.

I hadn’t even thought of using portals.. but that’s because I hate playing mesmer with great passion.

Dub.1273

For path 2 and 3 you can solo every boss legit and don’t need to carry via portals. Also the skips are “easier”.

Dub | [rT]

Nikaido.3457

For path 2 and 3 you can solo every boss legit and don’t need to carry via portals. Also the skips are “easier”.

Well, that’s the point I made. Path 2 doesn’t require much, or a particular class, or the new portal device (no I’m not going to use charged lodestone on that crap) to get pretty much any group going through. And usually most pugs make it to most boss fights. Just the one or two people to carry rather than a whole group.

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

P3 has the hardest skips IMO. P2 is mostly just Deadeyes and P1 is just Oozes. I’d much rather deal with those than Risen Illusionists.

Abom is also kind of a pain in the kitten to solo legit. Alphard too if you’re not a mesmer.

Nikaido.3457

I don’t think you can see how skips are from the eyes of the usual pugs. If p3 had the “hardest skip” then why is p3 pretty much the only path they run ? p1 boss fights are a lot less tedious in low dps groups than the Crusher+Hunter combination. You can’t really trust the pug to cycle enough reflection to prevent the immobilize from Hunter, and in a low dps group you don’t really want to stand in melee inside the poison field either. And sometimes you’ll get a really, really bad pug that will pull them and make the crusher revive the fabulous group of mob at the gate, because that’s exactly what all pug groups need. This fight is a lot harsher in pugs than any of the Path 1 boss.

Posted by: Chryzo.8906

Chryzo.8906

I prefer Illu than ooze I find path 3 skipping way easier than path 1. But then again, depends on what prof you take. I especially hate doing P1 on mesmer

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I don’t think you can see how skips are from the eyes of the usual pugs. If p3 had the “hardest skip” then why is p3 pretty much the only path they run ? p1 boss fights are a lot less tedious in low dps groups than the Crusher+Hunter combination. You can’t really trust the pug to cycle enough reflection to prevent the immobilize from Hunter, and in a low dps group you don’t really want to stand in melee inside the poison field either. And sometimes you’ll get a really, really bad pug that will pull them and make the crusher revive the fabulous group of mob at the gate, because that’s exactly what all pug groups need. This fight is a lot harsher in pugs than any of the Path 1 boss.

You can always pull first group far enough and then separate Crusher and Hunter (pull them back, range Hunter and he resets when Crusher revives him).

P3 has the hardest skips IMO. P2 is mostly just Deadeyes and P1 is just Oozes. I’d much rather deal with those than Risen Illusionists.

Abom is also kind of a pain in the kitten to solo legit. Alphard too if you’re not a mesmer.

When was the last time you ran P1? It has Risen, Oozes, Drakes and Spiders, even some Gorillas.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)