newbies; when you join a dungeon team..

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Linguistically Inept.6583

Linguistically Inept.6583

please please please mention if its your first time in the dungeon/specified path; i (and no doubt numerous others) are absolutely fine with taking the time to explain bits to you, but will assume you know what to do if you dont mention that its your first time (and thus will get annoyed when you fail at stuff)

if anyone kicks you for saying you’re new in a dungeon then they arent worth playing with.

… sigh… i feel like all my forum threads are minor moans

Desolation: 80 ranger [Nightwither], 80 necro [Dusk Grimsoul]
80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]
80 guard [Dusk Grimlight], 80 engi [Flintgear]

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

unfortunately very few beginners read these forums

kill all ze thingz

Posted by: bartem.2731

bartem.2731

Agree with Saulius. In fact, they rarely read the chat. It’s always a good idea to ask whether anyone is new to the dungeon and tell them to pay attention to chat and targetting if there’s any. You may be more forgiving than the next PUG guy, and maybe he will quit cause someone else is new. You probably want that as well.

Posted by: Callixylon.6570

Callixylon.6570

I always mention that I haven’t done it before if I do a new dungeon path, but if I put in a post on gw2lfg stating that I’m new to a dungeon, I rarely get an invite or people who want to join my group. I also had people leave me when I said I only did a path once.

I rather not join a group myself because I don’t know if they are ok with newbies. Most people on gw2lfg are looking for experienced players only btw, so I can understand why newbies sometimes don’t say they are new. Harder to find a group and afraid to get kicked.

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

I always mention that I haven’t done it before if I do a new dungeon path, but if I put in a post on gw2lfg stating that I’m new to a dungeon, I rarely get an invite or people who want to join my group. I also had people leave me when I said I only did a path once.

I rather not join a group myself because I don’t know if they are ok with newbies. Most people on gw2lfg are looking for experienced players only btw, so I can understand why newbies sometimes don’t say they are new. Harder to find a group and afraid to get kicked.

Are you in a guild, that is really the best way to learn the dungeons in a friendly environment.

Posted by: Ellda.1930

Ellda.1930

That’s a reasonable request. I always mention if I had not done a path before, or if I have only done it once or twice (takes my slow brain repetition to figure things out).

But the experienced people need to read chat as well. Yesterday for instance, I ran fotm-dredge for the first time. I had run the other fractals at least a couple times each, but never this one.

As soon as the instance loaded I typed, ‘never done this fractal before’. When we got to part with the control panel, I was supposed to activate that. But I didn’t, because I had no idea that I was supposed to.

That’s when I got treated to some classic all caps cyber-yelling like DUDE!!1!! and other panicked displays. By the way, I did activate the control panel and we all lived.

What bothers me in pug dungeon runs, as a newbie, is the incivility that I see from a certain segment of players. There is a kind of rage that some people have in-game that I don’t get. Maybe they have run the same content over and over again so many times it’s not fun anymore; or maybe I’m just getting old.

Some of the names I have been called so far in dungeon runs:
-moron
-troll
-idiot
kitten /p>

and probably others I’m forgetting.

If my newness to a dungeon or the game in general is going to kitten someone off that much, I would rather be booted at the beginning of a run than deal with this crap.

Posted by: mosspit.8936

mosspit.8936

Agree with Saulius. In fact, they rarely read the chat. It’s always a good idea to ask whether anyone is new to the dungeon and tell them to pay attention to chat and targetting if there’s any. You may be more forgiving than the next PUG guy, and maybe he will quit cause someone else is new. You probably want that as well.

Newcomers should voice out if they are new to a path even if they are not asked. I mean a newcomer only needs to voice out once (or a few times) that one is new as opposed to questioning the party every run.

Btw I have raised the newcomer question before and no one responded…. until they hit a wall later in the run and promptly said they are in fact new.

(edited by mosspit.8936)

bartem.2731

Newcomers should voice out if they are new to a path even if they are not asked. I mean a newcomer only needs to voice out once (or a few times) that one is new as opposed to questioning the party every run.

Btw I have raised the newcomer question before and no one responded…. until they hit a wall later in the run and promptly said they are in fact new.

I 100% agree that they should, but they won’t. I think asking while indicating they wont be kicked out would encourage them to come out. If they don’t read the chat, which is common, all is lost.

mosspit.8936

I 100% agree that they should, but they won’t. I think asking while indicating they wont be kicked out would encourage them to come out. If they don’t read the chat, which is common, all is lost.

Yeah dungeon newcomers will probably not visit these forums. But for the slim chance that they do, maybe they can start voicing out.

Question: Do you run dungeons often and for how long since? Do you in fact ask your party for newcomers every run assuming PUGs?

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I agree it’s very much appreciated when people mention it is their first time because I don’t mind explaining the mechanics at all – I’m not in a major rush most of the time, and it saves everyone (especially the new player) a lot of frustration.

bartem.2731

Yeah dungeon newcomers will probably not visit these forums. But for the slim chance that they do, maybe they can start voicing out.

Question: Do you run dungeons often and for how long since? Do you in fact ask your party for newcomers every run assuming PUGs?

I don’t have the DM title, as I ran all but 2 Arah paths (due to time needed on a first proper run) multiple times including fotm. I don’t ask as I don’t mind if I lose some time and few silvers because someone didn’t mention their experience level. I do ask if I notice oddities. I only kicked one person out as he was outright damaging the group by doing opposite of what we were telling him to do, very seemingly on purpose. That’s me, but if you are particular about newbies coming out at the beginning, you might as well ask yourself. By definition newbies wont be reading forums as much or is accustomed to dungeon etiquette.

Posted by: Danireathorn.2814

Danireathorn.2814

I’ll throw out an idea.

I agree with Saulius; Not everyone reads the forums. What I found useful is to take the initiative and ask my party, “Is this anyone’s first time?” Many beginners have had bad experiences and may be a little gun shy to say it is their first time.

If you take the initiative instead, I’ve found that the newbies are quicker to reply that it indeed is their first time.

[LFG]

mosspit.8936

I don’t have the DM title, as I ran all but 2 Arah paths (due to time needed on a first proper run) multiple times including fotm. I don’t ask as I don’t mind if I lose some time and few silvers because someone didn’t mention their experience level. I do ask if I notice oddities. I only kicked one person out as he was outright damaging the group by doing opposite of what we were telling him to do, very seemingly on purpose. That’s me, but if you are particular about newbies coming out at the beginning, you might as well ask yourself. By definition newbies wont be reading forums as much or is accustomed to dungeon etiquette.

Right. You ask when you witness oddities and not every runs. Like someone viewing custscene things like that. I know cause I also use those indicators to make educated guesses (not foolproof). Btw if newcomers screw up, it will not be my silvers that are wasted. It will be his/her repair costs.

But for asking the newcomer question every run… If anyone is willing to do that, good for him/her. I will and have helped newcomers along the way but for taking some time and effort helping newcomers, I would like to get some proactiveness on the newcomers to voice out.

(edited by mosspit.8936)

unfortunately very few beginners read these forums

indeed "/ well; i hope atleast one does

that sucks "/ im of the opinion that if anyone is going to kick someone else for being new to a certain dungeon then they need to have advertised as ‘experienced only’, anyone else is just being a kitten

but them quitting/kicking you at the start of a run is better than them kicking you/rage quitting in the middle of a run (i had a CoE run with two newbies and three experienced players; one of the newbies rage quit because the necro was making fun of them… which was kind of hard to defend because they were using scepter for everything and refusing to melee alpha – a guard refusing to melee is very… odd -, they either rage quit at being mocked or the necro initiated a vote kick, i only noticed theyd gone after we finished the second alpha fight, got to bjorn, not a great kill (the mesmer -the other newbie) wasnt noticing scales of jormag quickly and wasnt shattering when he retreated to the pylons, we wiped on the final alpha fight -somehow; im not even sure how; its ridiculously easy- necro rage quit after thanking us for ‘a waste of time’, mesmer dissappeared as well so it was left with me (ele) and guard (experienced) against alpha… i wouldve tried duoing it if i had any recording software on my computer… was just a pain, atleast three people got easy tokens -we got three more in a minute or two off of gw2lfg… i forgot why i was typing this… i think it was something to do with the difference between ‘newbies’ and bad players (the -first- guard was both; he was repeatedly told what to do and blatantly ignored us, the mesmer was a newbie; he listened to us and -after a short time- understood the mechanics… the necro… they werent a bad player -although i have no idea why a necro wouldnt go on console; no cleave and shoddy unspammable aoe/cleave- but… they werent nice; and im sure if the team hadnt been fully formed when they joined they wouldve left when they saw two newbies)

What I found useful is to take the initiative and ask my party, “Is this anyone’s first time?” Many beginners have had bad experiences and may be a little gun shy to say it is their first time.

If you take the initiative instead, I’ve found that the newbies are quicker to reply that it indeed is their first time.

i do that occassionally; but it gets tedious typing it out in every party (im extremely lazy xD)

I agree it’s very much appreciated when people mention it is their first time because I don’t mind explaining the mechanics at all – I’m not in a major rush most of the time, and it saves everyone (especially the new player) a lot of frustration.

appreciated; that was the word i was looking for, very apt

What bothers me in pug dungeon runs, as a newbie, is the incivility that I see from a certain segment of players. There is a kind of rage that some people have in-game that I don’t get. Maybe they have run the same content over and over again so many times it’s not fun anymore; or maybe I’m just getting old.

i think its called the ‘online disinhibition effect’
normally my ‘inhibitions’ prevent me from talking to people (im autistic… i loathe talking to people or having people talk to me) yet im fine talking… (typing) online, but it turns a lot of people into jerks =[

-though i always (well; since my first dungeon run – CM exp – where once the experienced ‘dungeon master’ of the group found out me and another player were newbies explained everything and the run went off without a hitch) notify my team if im new to a dungeon path, havent done it in a long time (so could be rusty) or havent done it since it was reformed, and havent been kicked out of a group for it yet (still havent done any of arah, acp2-reformed- or acp3 -reformed- though; so i suppose it could change)

edit kitten thats a big WoT, TL;DR; ramblerambleramble

80 warr [Blaze Steelsoul], 80 ele [Blaze Nightstrike], 80 mesmer [Grim Shatterwhirl]

(edited by Linguistically Inept.6583)

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

I always mention when I am new to a dungeon and I always get kicked- so I usually form a party myself.
Ive rarely very rarely found someone who would take the time to explain things to me in a dungeon.

Posted by: BartBacardi.5371

BartBacardi.5371

I’m sorry to hear that SnowHawk. But believe me there are people that are willing to learn to others like me. Unfortunatly I also have a feeling it’s a minority in the community. If your on EU servers I’m happy to run dungeons with you even if you never done the path or even the dungeon before. And yes also Arah.

I got to be honest. Of course I also “kick” people from time to time. But that’s only cause they did 1 of the following two things:
1: Lying.
If I ask at start if there are people new to the path and I get no response, I assume people have ran it before. If we then hit a wall and people are telling me they are new and need explanation I kick them without a second of thinking. Not cause they don’t know what to do but cause they lyed at start. And from my experience when I didn’t kick them instantly: Those people often have no intention at all to learn the dungeon. They are just there to get carried through for the tokens.
2: Bad attitude.
Mostly elitists that start whining cause someone made a mistake. Mistakes and wipes happens. But instead of whining they should try to help the people that failed to improve. Insta kick if he keeps whining after I told him to stop.

That way I keep my groups fun to play with and motivated. And that’s the most important thing for me. It’s a game so I want to have fun. Games are made to be fun. However lately some people are tending to see games as “work”. Something they HAVE to do.

(edited by BartBacardi.5371)

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

I always mention when I am new to a dungeon and I always get kicked- so I usually form a party myself.
Ive rarely very rarely found someone who would take the time to explain things to me in a dungeon.

You’re welcome in my parties. Any dungeon I don’t mind explaining to people.

Extra couple mins to explain never hurt anyone, some pugs are just impatient or lack the ability to communicate.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

meanwhile in the real virtual world of GW2:

1: “hey”
2: “hi”
3: “hi”
4: “hi”
5: “hi”

1: “i never did this dungeon
2: “cya”
3: “will fail…”
4: “im out”
5: “…”

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

I very rarely specify “be experienced” in the lfg, only if I’m in a time crunch. About the only time I make any specifications is for CoF zerk runs. So if it’s not CoF 1 or 2 I usually ask if anyone is new at the beginning. Recently on Arah p3 I had a guy say “I’m new” then quickly say he will listen to direction and ping his gear if needed, as if we were going to kick him. I just like to know if anyone is new to know if I should explain as we go. I’ve also had another vet leave an instance when we found out we had 3 newbies and I wasn’t going to second a kick.

It sucks that a portion of the community are such jerks that some people are afraid to try new dungeons with pugs because of verbal abuse or being kicked.

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

I really don’t mind if people aren’t experienced but can listen to directions and read chat. I’m more than willing to type some stuff out and give direction and advice (did this many times at Lupi in Arah)

However, if you die over and over again, make dumb mistakes, and fail to read/address chat, I will votekick you.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Kozai.8269

Kozai.8269

I always mention that I’m new or have only run it a few times, and have not been kicked yet (10-15 total dungeon runs?). I do add in the same sentence that I’ll listen to direction, and if someone is willing to kick me even so, I’d rather it happen at the very start so I’ve only wasted a couple minutes than half an hour in.

That said, the quality of instruction I have gotten has varied widely, from a sentence or two before each fight at most, to nothing unless I did something wrong.

I’m much more hesitant to start a group and announce that I don’t know the dungeon, I feel that unless I post in the announcement that I’m not experienced with it, which I would consider to the the case for any dungeon right now, I am misleading people. I expect the person organizing the group to either know the dungeon reasonably well, or mention in the announcement something to indicate that they don’t know it. I may well still join such a group, as it is much easier to learn things in a slow moving group, but need to know to block out a bigger chunk of time for it in case it is all newbies like me.

Posted by: Lucas Ashrock.8675

Lucas Ashrock.8675

That’s a reasonable request. I always mention if I had not done a path before, or if I have only done it once or twice (takes my slow brain repetition to figure things out).

But the experienced people need to read chat as well. Yesterday for instance, I ran fotm-dredge for the first time. I had run the other fractals at least a couple times each, but never this one.

As soon as the instance loaded I typed, ‘never done this fractal before’. When we got to part with the control panel, I was supposed to activate that. But I didn’t, because I had no idea that I was supposed to.

That’s when I got treated to some classic all caps cyber-yelling like DUDE!!1!! and other panicked displays. By the way, I did activate the control panel and we all lived.

Some of the names I have been called so far in dungeon runs:
-moron
-troll
-idiot
kitten

and probably others I’m forgetting.

If my newness to a dungeon or the game in general is going to kitten someone off that much, I would rather be booted at the beginning of a run than deal with this crap.

If you think even old experienced players like me, even with my armor and my title, sometimes still meet this kind of junk joining a pug attempting to use those words talking about me, try to imagine what kind of players are around you.
Also, great/good players left the game yet (me included, and i was a famous pugger, patient and helpful. My armor and title are completely pugged ) . Don’t expect anything based on the word “for the sake of the fun” “i’m new, willing to learn” etc. Grind as fast as possible , turboruns, or kick this guy. This is the pug, with those players left. Good luck, hehe.
If you investigate a bit, you will discover soon the age of the moron of the day.
Usually under 18 years and with the typical “behind the screen” internet attitude.
Yep, we are old , to deal with those unrespectful children, we don’t expect it.
Luckly, a 18+ mmo is incoming.. yay Hopefully, a more adult respectful behaviour..
I truly pity newbies on this game dealing with this kind of community logging, seriously.

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

(edited by Lucas Ashrock.8675)

Posted by: Flea Exercise.5098

Flea Exercise.5098

For the great justice I should notice that community in Guild Wars 2 is way less toxic than that in games like LoL or DotA which are famous for bad manners spread.
After playing forementioned games I found myself being completely okay with bad manners in GW2 because they can’t pass my “insult level”.

More on the topic. When I first time trying a dungeon I go and see some run records on youtube. Then I’ll try to gather my guildies, both experienced players who are willing to explain everything and newbies for whom this may be a great chance to run a dungeon in a friendly environment.
When I’m gathering a group for a familiar dungeon, I will either ask for experienced players to join or ask if there are first-timers.

Communication is everything, majority of players should understand it. People tend to remember better a few bad/infuriating runs than a plenty of smooth ones. From which comes that dual “hate”: experienced players remember “many” newbies, who are not willing to learn an encounter they’re facing (yes, there are such a people, sometimes I think they must be either suffering some serious mental disability or hopelessly drunk) and not so experienced players will think that dungeon players consist of bad mannered elitists, who are not willing to explain instead insulting newcomers.

So my advice would be for everyone try to be a bit more forgiving to each other and to not rage when misunderstandings happen.

So, there are teachers who are willing to explain everything and there’re grateful students, remember it, community:)

[ZDs]

mosspit.8936

Viewing thing from other side of the fence with regards to my previous post, I attempted Arah path 2 and 4 as a newbie.

Posted a lfg whilst stating I’m new but with some experience with lupi, I got invited. Once the party is complete, I again state that I was new to the path via party chat. If someone were to have issues with having a newbie on board, at least we can get things sorted before we start the dungeon.

1st path 4 run, party had poor dps and after many iterations of Dwayna steath cycles, dungeon owner gave up and kicked us out. 2nd run was also a PUG and I did the same introductions. This time round there was a vet who was knowledgeable and the run was successful. The group didnt mind having me as a newbie and we started with the correct expectations.

After path 4, I did path 2 as a newbie again. Same introductions that lead to the same alignment of expectations. And a few bumps here and there, the run was completed.

I just wanna share my experience. Stating that one is new at the start can help. I am not saying that all newcomers must do so but if you think about it – if a party does not want a newcomer and actually kicks him/her at the start, imagine what they will do if they found out that him/her was new midway through the dungeon. I rather be kicked before the dungeon even starts.

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Seems curious but it’s true. I met plently newbies on my billion pugs who seriously wasn’t reading at all the chat. Or telling me “k explain, we read” and after a detailed explanation, they just play like if noone told them “if you run there, we will be pwned in a sec surrounded of enemies and the run will fail”. Like freesexalice said: mental disability or drunk? I could add: sometimes some player don’t give a kitten of this guy explaining stuff, much less if the explanation is more long than 2 lines. Attitude.
Luckly i can confirm this is a minority. Majority when willing to learn, truly read every line, and when you type “K here is when we stop and wait, go to lure that enemy” they do it. Talented players, this is how i call them. Their future was usually the greatest getting the highest and better reward ingame. Clearly, all of them added on friendlist. Sadly, noone of them is online anymore

Dungeon Master http://i.imgur.com/Hoqw3.jpg ME http://i.imgur.com/R41MGzB.jpg Fractal Guild Promoter

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Someone did say it was their first time doing a dungeon in my party yesterday, yet no one said a thing to him and quietly skipped all the mobs.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Lucas Ashrock.8675

Ye, they was a group of players not even barely interested on the 5th player’s skills or if he would not understand or behave as expected, just because newbie. “Let him die, lolz” or “Let’s run as usual, he will figure out how to do a boost run looking us, rezzing on waypoint. HE will find a guide or a youtube video sooner or later doing this run, he will learn” attitude.
Usually is the first : " for the lulz"

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I haven’t done a lot of dungeons, but recently did HotW for the first time. First I tried an LFG post on gw2lfg, stating that I was new to the dungeon. No invites. So later I just joined an already existing group and immediately mentioned I was new to the dungeon and asked if that was okay. The group leader said it was fine, and proceeded to give me instructions for each fight. It was a very smooth run, and as it turned out I was needed because I was the only one with explorable unlocked.

In the future I will definitely mention that I am new at the beginning. If they kick me, then it probably wouldn’t have been a good experience anyway.

To all the experienced dungeon runners, your patience with newbies is greatly appreciated. I think there are many of us who are happy to listen and follow instructions so that we can be beneficial to our group and learn the dungeon.

Posted by: Rafiee.2935

Rafiee.2935

I haven’t done all of the dungeons yet, but when I do a new one I always read the wiki on it first so I know what to do. That should be common practice unless you like letting your party down when you don’t know what to do

http://feverclan.com/forums/forum.html
LvL 80 Ranger on Sea of Sorrow’s
Fever Clan[FC] Guild Leader

Posted by: Nodo.6907

Nodo.6907

I bought this game when it first came out and did not take to it at first. I got a Necro to lvl 50 and did not enjoy it as much as the game I was playing at the time and could not hold my interest here.

In the past month I have come back to give this game another chance and am really glad that I did. Having said all of that, I just wanted to let it be known that newbies DO read some of the forums. At least the newbies, like myself, that really take to a game. Maybe it’s the fact that I enjoy discussing the games I am playing with others but I do check forums when I am learning a game. BTW, this is my first post…

I have yet to do a dungeon and I’ll be honest, I am semi-put off by trying to after reading various things online and some other threads but I know it is only a matter of time before I have to just dive into them. I am a completionist at heart and feel that in order to get the most out of a game, one should try to experience it all and decide whether or not he/she likes the activities provided.

I think I will take well to dungeons but at this point in time I am completely new to them. I’ve hit 80 on my mesmer this month and am now working on world completion and understanding different acronyms and playstyles of this one particular class. Once I have a better knowledge base of what I can do and what people will expect of me in a dungeon, I will attempt one. I have raided in other games in the past and enjoy it but there are also many experiences that I can refer to when my experience was not so pleasant. Right now, I am just hesitant to try any dungeon.

I know joining a guild is the way to go about it but I don’t find comfort in guilds that recruit so heavily that you are just another body in their Influence grind. While I do understand why this is the way it goes, I have a hard time signing up for these types of guilds. Hopefully I will find some other players on my server that are just like me and are willing to learn together or don’t care to show people what’s what in this game. I came back to this game with a friend who also wanted to try it but he doesn’t over think the guild thing like I do and he just joined some 500+ guild. He has gone on a few dungeon runs himself and loves it, he is also a newbie I know I could partake in that as well but for now I am trying to learn about my class and how to best perform first so that I am more comfortable and confident when it comes to being on other people’s time. Again, I’ve raided in the past and know how it can be with some folks so I really don’t want to be the guy that is holding others back or wasting their time…

Anyways, I just wanted to post from a newbies PoV and wanted to say “thanks” to all of you in this thread that have shared your experiences and knowledge. I find these forums MUCH better than the other game I currently/casually play nowadays.

Cheers!

Name- Nodo
Server – Yak’s Bend

(edited by Nodo.6907)

Posted by: Myriad.7643

Myriad.7643

Another dungeon newbie here!

I’ve been playing GW2 for about 5 months now and haven’t gone into any of the end game content, mostly because of the same reasons as Nodo. I used to be very active in another MMO – was a leader of a guild even, helped many people through the game, I raided and did instances with little problems. However, after some unpleasant stuff went on, that goes beyond just your average name-calling, I wrote off most of the social aspect as a tiresome gamble.

As a result I have a general picture of what runs are and what they include (and how much fun they can be!), but also of how people can get, and that makes me nervous and very hesitant to sign up for anything.

I read the forums and the wiki a lot, hunting for information about dungeons and how to do them, but I know from experience that reading about it can only get you so far. I’d like to get into it all one day, learn and have fun on the way… On the other hand, I don’t want to slow down people’s runs and/or be negatively targeted by those who forget that everyone is new at some point.

Just my two cents

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I will self-advertise my text-guides (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?244-Guild-Wars-2-PvE).
Most importantly, I have listed abilities of bosses and some enemies (accuracy varies on different paths, but I’m working on it!).

Posted by: Nodo.6907

Nodo.6907

I will self-advertise my text-guides (http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?244-Guild-Wars-2-PvE).
Most importantly, I have listed abilities of bosses and some enemies (accuracy varies on different paths, but I’m working on it!).

Thanks for taking the time out to post this. I will look at them when it comes time for me to start trying out the dungeons!

Name- Nodo
Server – Yak’s Bend

Posted by: crunkfresh.9025

crunkfresh.9025

well, as a new player, i can say i probably will never divulge that information beforehand. just like every other online game, i know nobody wants to play with noobs. i come from a top 50 wow guild and an 1800 lol elo so i know what happens if you admit to being new. usually i just have the wiki open on my other screen and get along just fine.

Posted by: Yukitsu.3798

Yukitsu.3798

When I go to a new dungeon path, I always ask the person I am looking to join if it’s okey that I’m new, even before I join the group. “I want to join, but is it okey if I haven’t done this path before? I take instruction pretty well.” And then sometimes I offer alternatives to my toons, if they prefer thief or ele. This method has really saved me from a lot of annoying groups that are unfriendly to new people in dungeons, although there will always be groups where I get in before most of them, and the ones that come in after me are unfriendly after all.

Posted by: Bunmaster.9734

Bunmaster.9734

When i started dungeons, i also admitted to being new to them. I don’t really see a problem to that, players should be more honest about it. Instead some stay quiet and hope it’s not noticeable.
But it is very noticeable, by informing your group, you make sure they take it into consideration. Either you get kicked or you get the chance to learn the path. Otherwise, you will be spending 90% of the time being useless to the group and still learn nothing.

well, as a new player, i can say i probably will never divulge that information beforehand. just like every other online game, i know nobody wants to play with noobs. i come from a top 50 wow guild and an 1800 lol elo so i know what happens if you admit to being new. usually i just have the wiki open on my other screen and get along just fine.

theres a difference between noobs and newbs
im absolutely fine running dungeons with newbies; as long as they make it clear that they havent done the path before so i can explain the tricky bits, if someone tries to hide it (even when i specifically ask); then ill get annoyed.
and the gw2 community isnt quite as toxic as wow

edit
just found this
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20060823-d025d.jpg

(edited by Linguistically Inept.6583)

Posted by: DancingPenguins.9875

DancingPenguins.9875

That’s a communications issue. If people can’t communicate properly, that is not a good person to have on ANY group activity.