wonder what anet will do about this

in Fractals, Dungeons & Raids

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

The easy and obvious fix that would “fix” this and perhaps to a lesser degree FGS would be to make it so he doesn’t get stuck in the wall. No need for negating reflect on another boss. That would be a reasonable fix and would make him slightly harder.

But doing this is so much fun!

I don’t think FGS should be fix, Lupi just shouldn’t be able to kill himself by reflecting his own damage back at him. The Jungle Wurm was like that and ArenaNet fixed it 2 weeks later.

So FGS is ok, but reflects aren’t, care to elaborate as to why?

Posted by: deSade.9437

deSade.9437

but mostly i just want to know if anet will bother altering this to see if i should learn to solo lupi on a diff classs

I’m preeeettttyyyy sure Abe can legitimately solo Lupi any number of ways. This video is just him screwing around and doing something funny because he’s just as bored as the rest of us. Don’t over-analyse this. And it definitely should not be the determining factor to if/how you go about learning to solo lupi.

no one is questioning abes ability to solo

i just want to know if anet is ok with lupi getting blown up like that , because if they are great ill stick with guard when i try n solo arah because i dont see how anyone could blow him up faster solo so i might as well just stick with guard

however they have changed other bosses to not get blown up/trivialized by reflects so mostly i just want anet to look at the vid and respond

And what are you going to do about this? feeling good because anet gave you the permission? Why do you care?

Posted by: Lindbur.2537

Lindbur.2537

but mostly i just want to know if anet will bother altering this to see if i should learn to solo lupi on a diff classs

I’m preeeettttyyyy sure Abe can legitimately solo Lupi any number of ways. This video is just him screwing around and doing something funny because he’s just as bored as the rest of us. Don’t over-analyse this. And it definitely should not be the determining factor to if/how you go about learning to solo lupi.

i just want to know if anet is ok with lupi getting blown up like that , because if they are great ill stick with guard when i try n solo arah because i dont see how anyone could blow him up faster solo so i might as well just stick with guard

however they have changed other bosses to not get blown up/trivialized by reflects so mostly i just want anet to look at the vid and respond

And what are you going to do about this? feeling good because anet gave you the permission? Why do you care?

He won’t have any plausible reason. He’ll vanish eventually just like the rest of them. :3

A remnant of times past.
“Memories are nice, but that’s all they are.”

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

The easy and obvious fix that would “fix” this and perhaps to a lesser degree FGS would be to make it so he doesn’t get stuck in the wall. No need for negating reflect on another boss. That would be a reasonable fix and would make him slightly harder.

I don’t think FGS should be fix, Lupi just shouldn’t be able to kill himself by reflecting his own damage back at him. The Jungle Wurm was like that and ArenaNet fixed it 2 weeks later.

I never said reflects weren’t ok. I said Lupi should not be able to reflect himsself to death (as withing 10 seconds). Look at the great jungle wurm, mesmers use to kill it within 3 seconds with one feedback, now they can’t. But feedback works just fine.

Posted by: stachekiller.2591

stachekiller.2591

This is going to spread like wildfire…. Just pugged p3 so I could try it myself. Two other guardians in party and without a word upfront all three of us dropped the wall on the wall for a super fast kill. Me thinks this was not coincidence…..

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Super. I have to admit I’ll be really amazed (disappointed?) if they let this one slide. And we all know what the “fix” will be…

I want to be able to transfer bag slots off my guard for free when they kill reflects.

deSade.9437

But if they’re going to slowly make every boss with projectiles unreflectable, what’s the purpose of reflects in the first place, since trash mobs die in two slaps?

Posted by: Dalanor.5387

Dalanor.5387

But if they’re going to slowly make every boss with projectiles unreflectable, what’s the purpose of reflects in the first place, since trash mobs die in two slaps?

To please the casual crowd. As always.

Posted by: Dagraan.2854

Dagraan.2854

because the jungle wurm is a world boss thats mobbed by hundreds of players gives a guaranteed rare or exotic with a chest that has a higher chance of giving you something really expensive.

if lupi had more than 5 people attacking him and you only had to destroy 2 objects with low hp and 4 champs to get to him then he probably would have been fixed by now.

dlonie.6547

because the jungle wurm is a world boss thats mobbed by hundreds of players gives a guaranteed rare or exotic with a chest that has a higher chance of giving you something really expensive.

And reflects shouldn’t trivialize open world encounters. That’s what the zerg is for.

Seriously, has anyone ever seen an open world boss actually fail? I haven’t :-/ All the reflects did was make the guaranteed reward drop a little bit faster.

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

People who are complaining about x are usually the people incapable of doing x.

Posted by: NovaanVerdiano.6174

NovaanVerdiano.6174

And reflects shouldn’t trivialize open world encounters. That’s what the zerg is for.

Seriously, has anyone ever seen an open world boss actually fail? I haven’t :-/ All the reflects did was make the guaranteed reward drop a little bit faster.

It actually took the reward from a lot of players because he died too fast. Teq and Three Headed obviously fail, sometimes Jormag does too. But other than that…

Jerus.4350

I never said reflects weren’t ok. I said Lupi should not be able to reflect himsself to death (as withing 10 seconds). Look at the great jungle wurm, mesmers use to kill it within 3 seconds with one feedback, now they can’t. But feedback works just fine.

I don’t really see how there is anything wrong when we have FGS solos that are only seconds longer than this reflect solo.

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Colesy incapable of FGSing confirmed.

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

I had this exact thought

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Posted by: IvanTheGrey.2941

IvanTheGrey.2941

Truth.

Posted by: Jiyn.3158

Jiyn.3158

I had this exact thought

So did I :/

Never trust a Stormcrow.

Posted by: Bogy.2953

Bogy.2953

do you not know how to read?

deSade.9437

I believe I’m not the one that has trouble grasping engrish.

Posted by: Bogy.2953

Bogy.2953

you ask why i care and quote a msg that explains why

so again do you know how to read or are you just mashing buttons while foaming at the mouth

deSade.9437

you ask why i care and quote a msg that explains why

so again do you know how to read or are you just mashing buttons while foaming at the mouth

And I’m the one foaming.
/facepalm

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

ANet in all of their subtlety are going to nerf lupicus with a sledgehammer, some people will cry that you can’t solo anymore (in good time) with reflect classes and I’m just going to roll my eyes thinking “I told you so” all because fools thought it would be a clever idea to post videos of obliterating a boss in that way. I mean, our only precedent of anet reacting to extreme reflect damage is their response to the ranger one shot of Malrona by making the projectiles unblockable.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

deSade.9437

Can’t they just normalise the damage of reflects or put a softcap if it’s really that important to them…/sigh
Owell. I agree that posting the vid was incredibly smart but eh. We got used to their extreme reactions, right? At least I did.

dlonie.6547

I don’t think it is that important to them

Fixing it right == redesigning a core mechanic, writing code, balancing, testing changes, rebalancing (the last three are probably skipped. See: kittenshow that was Alphard for several months). Lots of effort == lots of people’s time == lots of money.

Breaking the reflect mechanics == changing a property in an XML file somewhere. Maybe 5 minutes of one developer’s time? No need to rebalance, since they have stats that 74.8% of Lupi fights are done without reflects, anyway.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

If it ends up like Malrona, it would also be unblockable, right? Now that would be messed up.

spoj.9672

They could just leave it. Most players cant even survive phase 1 melee without being carried.

dlonie.6547

They could just leave it. Most players cant even survive phase 1 melee without being carried.

You don’t need to. The guard in the video kited with a scepter during phase 1, and Lupi was dead before the locusts caught up with him by the wall. All anyone would need to do is know how to push and dodge grubs and they can solo Lupi in half the time of the previous records

spoj.9672

Most people cant even dodge grubs. They probably wouldnt have dps gear either.

It would be really stupid for anet to change a boss which has been considered challenging and well designed for the last 2 years.

deSade.9437

Sounds juuuust about right.
Well, gud naite.

Posted by: Tom Yzf.5872

Tom Yzf.5872

It would be really stupid for anet to change a boss which has been considered challenging and well designed for the last 2 years.

Same type of argument could be made about Malrona. She was in no way a pug killer, but every time I pug (and I do mean every time) none of the pugs bother paying attention to the poison mechanic. I would almost get cleansed as soon as it was applied. By no means do pugs bring meta setup to TA all the time, so the boss is generally never 1shot.

Yet, we get a nerf to projectiles out of thin air after the ranger vid. I wouldn’t bet on anet not making another knee-jerk decision on altering lupi bc of this.

ed:grammer

(edited by Tom Yzf.5872)

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

Same type of argument could be made about Malrona. She was in no way a pug killer, but every time I pug (and I do mean every time) none of the pugs bother paying attention to the poison mechanic. I would almost get cleansed as soon as it was applied. By no means do pugs bring meta setup to TA all the time, so the boss is generally never 1shot.

Yet, we get a nerf to projectiles out of thin air after the ranger vid. I wouldn’t bet on anet not making another knee-jerk decision on altering lupi bc of this.

I dont think Malrona’s projectiles got changed because of that ranger video, i think the change was because of that wurm boss where mesmers were one shotting it with feedback. ANet changed its projectiles and somehow it affected all the spider bosses that use projectiles (there are a few of then in Arah and so on).

Posted by: Jiyn.3158

Jiyn.3158

I dont think Malrona’s projectiles got changed because of that ranger video, i think the change was because of that wurm boss where mesmers were one shotting it with feedback. ANet changed its projectiles and somehow it affected all the spider bosses that use projectiles (there are a few of then in Arah and so on).

Malrona was changed before that wurm was changed though I believe.

Never trust a Stormcrow.

Tom Yzf.5872

Wurm change was done before the spider change in separate patches. The malrona/spider change was also done when anet decided to make changes to a lot of other dungeon encounters, so I’m pretty sure that change was very intentional.

(edited by Tom Yzf.5872)

spoj.9672

Spider changed happened in the same patch as when they tweaked wurm again. So it could of been related. We dont know for sure.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I honestly wouldn’t call Lupicus well designed, perhaps just designed. Plenty of bugs, inconsistencies and trivial attacks.

For example

- Prevent instant reset at doors and Lupicus walking out of arena
- Prevent players getting out of combat inside the arena

Phase 1:
- Should attack more frequently (kick and infection) to increase pressure
- Infection should be an area attack with poison gas effect
- Locusts shouldn’t spawn behind wall
- Locust spawns should be normalized
- Roar should cause frontal infection cone
- Double effect of Empowered
- Remove or rework phase grub

Phase 2:
- Add missing circles to frenzied blasts
- Fix bug with dash making Lupicus disappear
- Make sweep more faster and frequent to increase pressure
- Stop using bolt on close targets
- Remove safe zone (no melee hits or bolts)
- Remove reflect instagib: Damage cap/reduction or make projectiles appear higher

Phase 3:
- Remove walling

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

spoj.9672

In comparison to the majority of bosses then.

Tom Yzf.5872

spoj.9672

Spider changed happened in the same patch as when they tweaked wurm again. So it could of been related. We dont know for sure.

Fairly certain they stealth changed something on wurm in that patch. There were no patch notes.

Posted by: Vinceman.4572

Vinceman.4572

I honestly wouldn’t call Lupicus well designed, perhaps just designed. Plenty of bugs, inconsistencies and trivial attacks.

For example

- Prevent instant reset at doors and Lupicus walking out of arena
- Prevent players getting out of combat inside the arena

Phase 1:
- Should attack more frequently (kick and infection) to increase pressure
- Infection should be an area attack with poison gas effect
- Locusts shouldn’t spawn behind wall
- Locust spawns should be normalized
- Roar should cause frontal infection cone
- Double effect of Empowered
- Remove or rework phase grub

Phase 2:
- Add missing circles to frenzied blasts
- Fix bug with dash making Lupicus disappear
- Make sweep more faster and frequent to increase pressure
- Remove safe zone (no melee hits or bolts)
- Remove reflect instagib: Damage cap/reduction or make projectiles appear higher

Phase 3:
- Remove walling

You can’t do that, your majesty. That would be….challenging too hard for PUGs…

Took me 3 runs of the dungeon to get the bug.

Jerus.4350

You don’t need to. The guard in the video kited with a scepter during phase 1, and Lupi was dead before the locusts caught up with him by the wall. All anyone would need to do is know how to push and dodge grubs and they can solo Lupi in half the time of the previous records

This makes me sad because just for fun I was trying this the other day… it didn’t work out too well. So IMO there’s a bit more than “all anyone would need to do…”

I got further along trying to do it legit.

Wethospu.6437

And those changes would only make it “normal”. I got more wild ideas to make it actually hard.

If it was up to me I would normalize base stats, remove passive crap, make AI more punishing, make boons and combos more important, improve condition damage and expand skill sets for enemies.

Posted by: Arenzo.3298

Arenzo.3298

And those changes would only make it “normal”. I got more wild ideas to make it actually hard.

If it was up to me I would normalize base stats, remove passive crap, make AI more punishing, make boons and combos more important, improve condition damage and expand skill sets for enemies.

so you would make the game the hardest mmo in existence?

Posted by: Laar.5476

Laar.5476

so you would make the game the hardest mmo in existence?

There are a number of other MMOs which have bosses with more numerous as well as harder mechanics so those changes would hardly make it the hardest MMO ever. GW2 bosses, for the most part, are incredibly tame; it’s the player base that seems to have very low expectations and skill.

Arenzo.3298

was mainly reffering to the part that started, If it were up to me

Wethospu.6437

I was still thinking more about “normal” difficulty.

If everyone had same base stats as elementalist then passive defense would become a lot more valuable with pugs (something lots of people have been asking).

Removing stuff like signets would make gameplay more active and make people stop whining about Healing Signet.

AI is bit tricky because I don’t know how it’s coded but I would attempt to make a master AI which would keep track of defensive skills, endurance, etc on players and make enemies prioritize certain skills. For example enemies would use control skills on players without stun breaks.

For boons I would most important make Fury stack up to 25 times each giving 1% critical chance. Might should also be bit harder to stack (would prefer up to 50 stacks but probably technical limitations).

For combos I would try to rework them like each field can be triggered by same finisher up to 3 times and each finisher can trigger up to 3 different fields at same time. Stacking fields would require bit more effort but also give greater effects.

Condition damage could be easily improved by making structures extra vulnerable to it and removing some immunities.

For skill sets I would add 1-2 new skills for every enemy and 3-4 new skills for every boss. They don’t have to be anything fancy, just something people have to watch out for.

Arenzo.3298

Js if you had the ability to make that kind of Ai you could make the best action/ actio rpgs in existence

Wethospu.6437

I don’t think it would be too hard. Each skill would need have to flags like “big damage”, “active defense”, “stun break”, etc so game could keep track of your skills. Enemy attacks would also have to be flagged like “control skill”, “defense”.

Then during skill selection, AI would check target/targets for flags and increase priority of certain skills. Then during it’s random selection it would more likely choose more appropriate skills.

Only problem is I have no idea how much processing time AI can use so this could already be too much. Also people don’t generally like too good AI.

Also enemies need actually decent skills to make use of any AI.

(edited by Wethospu.6437)

NovaanVerdiano.6174

I don’t think it would be too hard. Each skill would need have to flags like “big damage”, “active defense”, “stun break”, etc so game could keep track of your skills. Enemy attacks would also have to be flagged like “control skill”, “defense”.

Then during skill selection, AI would check target/targets for flags and increase priority of certain skills. Then during it’s random selection it would more likely choose more appropriate skills.

Only problem is I have no idea how much processing time AI can use so this could already be too much. Also people don’t generally like too good AI.

Also enemies need actually decent skills to make use of any AI.

The combination of an extended array of skills + checking 10-15 skills of each player + the skills of the mobs sounds like it is too long probably.

In all honesty, if we had a decent AI for the enemies so that they would actually react we’d already make a huge step into the right direction. Giving them the ability to dodge (well, maybe exceptions like Lupicus shouldn’t exactly dodge but use something else… A dodging Lupicus would look weird I guess lol), let them run out of AoE, give them skills that synergize and let them put those skills to good use… (gw1 had that with War in Kryta and Winds of Change) etc.

dlonie.6547

I’d be happy with mobs that don’t run into meat grinders, but eh.

Edit: No I wouldn’t. But it’d be nice.

NovaanVerdiano.6174

Oh btw, in case anyone wonders… We tried out how the Lupi-Reflect looks with 25 stacks empowered on him. Kinda funny that you can still burst him through phase 2. I guess most people here saw that video anyway, but w/e.