Getting CC-chained by Orr mobs

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

I know this is a fairly minor issue but I want to mention it anyway as it causes me to shout obscenities at my monitor.

There are a number of Events especially in Orr that like to spawn a large wave of mobs in a single spot.

Unfortunately these mobs tend to spawn out of nowhere and attack the closest proximity target. What this means is that if you happen to be this target you can be hit by half a dozen “EVERYBODY COME” pull within 2 seconds, effectively chain stunning you to death while you get pulled from one mob to another.

It’s rare I know but it’s this kind of thing that I find really infuriating as it need not be.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Opsfor.2814

Opsfor.2814

ya. lol. i myself got chained, slow, poison, etc non-stop by mobs in orr. Orr is a place certainly not meant for solo, especially for fresh newly 80s and not so geared players.

Huge aggro range by some risen, insane movement speed, lots of CC and DoT. I hated most is there is a Champion guarding Skill point challenge! Champion can engage with, but not with mobs keep respawning !

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

The sad truth is that you need to have stability at all times, which severely limits flexibility in play style.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Aldred.9345

Aldred.9345

Yeah it’s kinda garbage. As many people have pointed out before me, they made getting around Orr really annoying rather than making it challenging.

Everyone wants to run through the mobs because they drop next to no loot when you’re solo, and will often respawn before you’ve finished killing them all anyway. But when you do that they spam all their cc’s on you and you need breaks/stability/shouts/etc just to survive all the time spent immobilised, before running off again.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Torvarren.6295

Torvarren.6295

Like guild wars 1 you have to adjust your skills for where you go, you should be expected to switch out utility skills for the current area.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

Morgoth Bauglyr.9726

point is, in GW most condition removal had a MUCH shorter cooldown. Here most profs get a remove every minute or so which is pretty laughable when you get spammed with them on almost every attack. Or a 5s stability doent help when there’s a horde going chain knockdown on you after its gone and on a min cooldown. Fighting against CC im bulk isnt fun, its just frustrating. Or take ettins e.g., when you have 3 on you and get unlucky. they just keep you on the floor for half a minute. Every KD even when on the ground just resets the 5s timer

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Hologramx.6402

Hologramx.6402

The game mechanics is just unfair in so many aspects.
Mob can knock you back and make you fall to death, but you can’t knock them down to fall.
Mob can go evaded and return their health to max even if they might only had 1% left (happens frequently underwater) but you are left in combat permanently and your health stay low forever.
Other than the chained cc from mobs, there are also environmental CC in Orr that you can not kill or destroy, which also leave you in combat even no mobs are around.
Many hostile turrets can hurt or knock you down regardless of LoS.
Many waypoints in Orr are constantly contested. They are like buses that charge you $10 per ride but always late for hours.

in Dynamic Events

Kerithlan.1659

I don’t think that it’s unfair. I think that it’s annoying and off-putting. These are all skills that player characters have access to, and it’s not really a mix between professions. There’s very few overlap, with most Risen mobs reflecting more or less only one profession’s gimmicks.

The problem is that they’re used too commonly, which limits your play options and shoehorns you into a single style of play. It’s one that can be fun, but for most players it gets really old and stale rapidly. Playing a stability turtle isn’t exactly engaging or thrilling.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Yes, the CC can be annoying and it has happend to me on occasions. IMO, the ammount of time spent being “stuck” after being CC should be less.

IF, however, you get yourself CC and there are several mobs attacking you, you need to go defensive ASAP.

As an elementalist I go Earth shield the moment I get CC.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

It does seem like you should get a short CC immunity in PVE every time you get CCed. 2-3 seconds would be plenty. There is nothing interesting or challenging about getting chain CCed from 100% to 0% by a few mobs because their attacks happened to line up that way.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Speak for yourself i love how tough it is in orr.

It trains you for pvp and makes you better in dungeons.

Learn to use your skills and its a non-issue.

I especially love how my mes (which only recently got its first exotic) is in combat for 20-30 continuous minutes at a time with at least 3 mobs.

They could do something about the continuous burning near the temple of balthazar though.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Zen.2450

Zen.2450

It does seem like you should get a short CC immunity in PVE every time you get CCed. 2-3 seconds would be plenty. There is nothing interesting or challenging about getting chain CCed from 100% to 0% by a few mobs because their attacks happened to line up that way.

Yeah, if champions can get CC immunity, then why can’t we, after all we’re “better” than champion mobs.

in Dynamic Events

Kerithlan.1659

I especially love how my mes (which only recently got its first exotic) is in combat for 20-30 continuous minutes at a time with at least 3 mobs.

They could do something about the continuous burning near the temple of balthazar though.

I’m all for interesting and engaging mechanics that make you a better player. If you think that the Risen fit into that category then you are sadly mistaken.

The majority of players don’t want to fight for 20 minutes against 3 monsters, only to find 1-5 vendor trophies worth 16c each. Even if you do find some T6 dust or a Large Bone, you’re still not in a position where the loot you’ve gathered during those 20 minutes is worth the risk of your repair bill or the value of your time.

You can make more money by jumping into World vs World and killing Rams and Skales. This is a major issue with the design of both Orr and of World vs World. It isn’t healthy, no matter how much you like it.

The problems then, to recap:
- Players are shoehorned into a single form of gameplay, which prevents the enjoyment of approximately a third of all playing styles
- The amount of loot that the player receives is not proportionate to the amount of time spent in combat, partially because build shoehorning tends to remove offensive options in this case
- Chain-control isn’t a challenging or skill-based obstacle to overcome; your profession does all of the work for you by flipping a switch (or not); players want skill challenges, not gimmicks

in Dynamic Events

Dee Jay.2460

Please don’t blow this thread out of proportions.

It was about one very specific issue. Don’t make it about Orr in general.

It was about when a large group of Orrians spawn and multiple of them pull the nearest target to them at the same time. This creates a CC chain that lasts 5-8 seconds and can easily get you killed.

This isn’t a L2P issue or even a problem with Orr or Orrians themselves. It’s just one of those random flukes that happen and that I don’t think were intended.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

There are so many annoying things in PvE.

Like you mentioned, the chain cc is ridiculous.

Also the poison ivy / vines that grow out of the ground and kill you – don’t know who at A-Net thought that would be fun.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: SkeeLd.2164

SkeeLd.2164

I’ve gotten chain-CC’d but nowhere near as long as OP described. Maybe 3-4s of pulls along with some chills/cripples/immobilizes (stupid Tar Elementals) but that’s nowhere near enough to kill my ele. Then I can proceed to AoE the crap out of them. All I have is AC armor and random jewels+daggers obtained from drops.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Zherran.4269

Zherran.4269

This happens all the time at Penitent, The groups that spawn have 10 to 12 mobs with maybe 5 to 6 Purifiers and they can do 20K damage in about 4 seconds of chain pulling. My charcter was actually launched 30 feet into the air one time and I had to laugh – it was rediculous.
The Spiders at Shelter are just as deadly, they just pull you in and immobilize/poison and you can die before you get the chance to press one button.
I’m ok with one or two mobs in a group having CC, but not every single mob, with multiple capabilties to stun, immobilze, knockdown, or pull in additon to their regular attacks that have other damaging conditions like poison etc..

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mindgame.7852

Mindgame.7852

Malchor’s Leap was/is so frustrating to me. I get chained, and mobbed by 6 to 1 and once 12 to one at a skill point. I have about completed the map by running for my life, and ninja the skill points. Basic method of play has been run as fast as you can to a waypoint or poi, die and respawn, repeat and rinse until bored. I play charr engineer and got thru the first 70 levels are so on a rifle build. But it wasnt until I switch to a prybar tank build that I was able to half way remain alive long enough to do anything. I am frustrated and those players that have helped me along the way are frustrated. Basically I just want to complete the world so I can go back to someplace less miserable.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: rinzler.4908

rinzler.4908

Please do NOT nerf ORR mobs. They are already easy enough.

Getting a full set of exotics is pretty easy in this game. Once you have full exotics the mobs are easy.

In the future, I would like to see trash mobs larger in size however, and more varied in type.

ORR is end game. It is supposed to be difficult, and In fact, I don’t think it’s difficult enough.

in Dynamic Events

Dee Jay.2460

Difficulty and tedium are two very different things.

Learn to tell the difference.

Take the Harpies in the Asura Fractal for example. They are not a difficult hurdle to overcome, but they are tedious.

A difficult challenge requires a lot of skill and commitment to overcome, a tedious challenge just requires a lot of time.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

If the mob respawn rate, conjestion and aggro distance was decreased it would solve the problems with Orr.

Few days ago I was taking on 3-5 mobs at once, which is what I can handle normaly, but after killing them they all instantly respawned AT THE SAME TIME! Not only this, but I was moving in a direction that had another 4 mobs. Add to this a miss-fired shot and aggroed more. I ended up taking on 8 or so mobs at once. It was hard but I was managing…UNTIL THEY CCed me for 4 seconds and decided to play ‘stacks-on’.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Yukishiro.8792

Yukishiro.8792

The problem with chain CC in ORR is that it isn’t difficult, it’s just randomly cheap. 95 times out of 100 they won’t line up their chain CC and bring you from 100% to 0%. But 5 times they will. It’s just totally random. There’s no intelligence or strategy involved. It’s just that sometimes their random attack sequence will combo in just the right way and there’s not much you can really do.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: edjahman.9104

edjahman.9104

Like guild wars 1 you have to adjust your skills for where you go, you should be expected to switch out utility skills for the current area.

So Orr is meant to be solo’ed….I think not.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: BulletNG.7069

BulletNG.7069

I have the same issue. Everytime I just try to get a simple Point of Interest in Orr I end up being CC-chained (I like how you termed it) by every enemy in my vicinity. Really bothers me that that’s all they seem to be able to do is CC you! Some of these points are hard enough just to GET TO, but having to deal with 10 mobs of risen (two of them are veterans) just to commune with a statue? Really come on Anet why would you think this was acceptable when you stated that you could practically solo everything?

Dawn of Dementia [DUI] – Yak’s Bend
Formerly: Phoenix Ascendant [ASH] – Gate of Madness

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

The only way to get CC chained in Orr is by not paying attention and overpulling. Risen gank squads almost never have more than 1 putrifier and their pull is telegraphed from a mile away. To everyone saying Orr is a solo free zone: I have never not solo completed all 3 Orr maps.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: FurryPaw.4852

FurryPaw.4852

Pulls help me farm a bit even when I don’t want to~
Each pull makes me scream and mash keyboard till this **** is dead, as well as all his risen family xD
I go another 10 meters~ Another pull… And here I go again! Faceplanting the keyboard in a mad rage untill they all are dead

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: ClaraFee.2579

ClaraFee.2579

I tried to swim across a section of the channel in the SW corner of Cursed Shore and got obliterated by continuous sink, pull, and distant siege. Factor in the Risen Thralls that are too fast to kite from, and it’s just a generally un-fun experience all around.

[MGW] [DHA] [VII]
Join Darkhaven at http://www.darkhaven.us

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I know this is a fairly minor issue but I want to mention it anyway as it causes me to shout obscenities at my monitor.

There are a number of Events especially in Orr that like to spawn a large wave of mobs in a single spot.

Unfortunately these mobs tend to spawn out of nowhere and attack the closest proximity target. What this means is that if you happen to be this target you can be hit by half a dozen “EVERYBODY COME” pull within 2 seconds, effectively chain stunning you to death while you get pulled from one mob to another.

It’s rare I know but it’s this kind of thing that I find really infuriating as it need not be.

Its not as rare as you might think, it happens a lot.

Too much CC and too many mobs, do not make a game fun, for me.

Must be nice to have three clone saving you over and over, not all classes have three clones to save them you realize..

now try doing it without using a single clone and say learn to use your skills and you’ll be on everyone else’s level.

(edited by Dante.1508)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Coldtart.4785

Coldtart.4785

If you want an example of everyone else’s level I have solo completed all 3 Orr maps on ele, mesmer, necro, warr, guard and thief so far and it really hasnt been that hard. If you pay attention and learn what all the mobs can do, you should have no difficulty. Every risen type in Orr has glaring drawbacks to their most dangerous moves that can easily be exploited.

I didn’t want to have to be the one to say l2p but really, this is world pve, the easiest part of the game. Stop whining when you die and try to figure out what you could have done to not die.