How clever are dynamic events

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: razieljones.1408

razieljones.1408

Do dynamic events know how many players are in an area?

I seem to be on a server that is sparsely populated but find myself constantly running into event that are geared towards groups when there is no one in the area to jump in with me.

Don’t get me wrong this is not a complaint more of a curiosity.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: pupgo.2016

pupgo.2016

it would be nice if they added enough mobs for 50+ zergs

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Dynamic events scale based on how many people are within a certain distance of the event, up to a maximum limit depending on if it’s a normal, group of meta event. Only players that are killing mobs or participating in the event are counted. Events labelled as group events scale a little differently and start at around 3 to 5 players minimum.

Events don’t spawn based on how many people their are. For example, if you’re alone in a zone, group events will still appear.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: razieljones.1408

razieljones.1408

Ah thats cool, thanks for the info

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

I’m unsure about how much harder or the number of NPCs spawned as more people are around, but events that have a progression bar do take longer with more players participating. An example would be in Queensdale where you have to gather grapes. With one player, it takes 10 to finish and with 2 players it’s 20.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

Ideally scaling shouldn’t be terribly impactful; it’s designed to keep the difficultly feeling just right. Events can indeed scale up and down in response to player count. They scale in a number of ways, including:

• enemy stats can be increased
  • enemies can gain new abilities
  • new enemy types may appear, including veterans or even champion versions
  • enemy count can be increased
  • objective requirements may increase

Some of these methods have a latent effect on difficulty as an event scales down. For example, you don’t really notice stat changes since an enemy’s health bar is a percentage. But if we increased the enemy count, we don’t really have a good way (in a lot of cases) to make them simply vanish if the event is abandoned or otherwise reduced in scale. They won’t respawn unless the event gets scaled up again, however, so it should just be a matter of clearing them out of the event. You just might have to do it gradually.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Some of these methods have a latent effect on difficulty as an event scales down. For example, you don’t really notice stat changes since an enemy’s health bar is a percentage. But if we increased the enemy count, we don’t really have a good way (in a lot of cases) to make them simply vanish if the event is abandoned or otherwise reduced in scale. They won’t respawn unless the event gets scaled up again, however, so it should just be a matter of clearing them out of the event. You just might have to do it gradually.

How about combining spawn waves and stat-scaling with regard to a large downgrade in event participation?

In other words, if the event had 20 players and suddenly lost 10 in the middle of a large wave, the monsters wouldn’t have to disappear but instead would have their stats cut down greater than normal to make up for their over-generated numbers.

I’m assuming, of course, that you don’t already do this and/or it is completely feasible with your current systems

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I haven’t noticed that a lot, it’s more like: the champion stands around and hits nearest players while most ranged professions stand there and spam skill 1. Example: Wayfarer Foothills – the Icebrood-champion in the north. He isn’t challenging for any ranged player at all.

Now that I think of it I can’t remember when I had a challenging open world boss-fight. Example Tequatl: I just stand in front of him, spam my IBerserker (people wonder why my phantasms float next to Tequatls head) and have no problems at all. (lv.80 Mesmer). The poison on me does little to no damage and the fears on me are nothing worth noting.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Ideally scaling shouldn’t be terribly impactful; it’s designed to keep the difficultly feeling just right. Events can indeed scale up and down in response to player count. They scale in a number of ways, including:

Some official response once stated that events currently don’t scale beyond ten players, has this changed? With the way it currently works, some classes that lack AoE are having a hard time “tagging” event mobs so they qualify for loot. For most events, mobs die instantly, which is neither fun nor challenging but just stress. When I go back to low level areas, I can actually kill mobs so quickly that I’m ruining the fun for other players (as a mesmer, and we’re not even good at that). Their number increases, their health doesn’t seem to do so. I don’t think that’s working as intended.
Other events seem to scale too well – the Jormag fight for example. I’ve never seen that the champion giant was killed during phase two of the fight (and you don’t really have to because it’s no danger at all), it actually seems to have more health than the Claw itself. Even the wolf has insane amounts of health (and also is not a threat). Also people usually don’t get that they are supposed to destroy the crystals blocking the golems, even if you tell them to do so.
At the Shatterer on the other hand, the veterans attacking the artillery can be easily killed by a single player. Not that it really matters, the dragon can also be easily killed without the weapons… but the scaling seems to be off in a lot of places.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

(edited by Iruwen.3164)

in Dynamic Events

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I wonder: do the big Metaevents have failing-conditions, do any other follow-up-events spawn it those events fail. Currently I’ve won each of the big Dragon-Battles I participated… is this 100% win-ratio working as intended?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

I run a lot of event solo, why no else go with me?

- Small AoE warning for the player, some times show only in ~1/8 of the map.

The solution for me is increase the event announcement AoE according the number of players.

-More players → decrease the size.
-Less players → increase the size.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Rewards will be the same.

Epic events for 1 blue shield and a gray sword.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I’m getting yellows for ectos from the dragons regularly, an exotic a few days ago. RNG likes me.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Aspeon.3520

Aspeon.3520

The dragons are easy because they’re heavily zerged, and they’re heavily zerged because they’re easy. Temple of Grenth is the boss people talk about when they talk about hard bosses; I routinely see it failed, even though it’s popular. There are some other ones that are tough without a zerg- I recommend trying the Golem Mark II in Mount Maelstrom with two or three people, which is all you’ll ever get for it because nobody knows about that boss. It’s got a similar give-and-take to the elemental fight in the ice fractal in that the boss keeps you moving, but moving will aggro more adds.

I wonder: do the big Metaevents have failing-conditions, do any other follow-up-events spawn it those events fail. Currently I’ve won each of the big Dragon-Battles I participated… is this 100% win-ratio working as intended?

There is no fail condition for the dragons, or many of the other open-world bosses. Even if everyone wipes, the boss will sit around waiting for somebody to kill it- worst case is it resets.

There are some bosses that close the door behind you, so getting back after a wipe requires redoing everything that you did to get to the boss in the first place (Misplaced steam ogre, Rhendak). There are some bosses with conditions that will fail the event, mostly timers (Modniir High Sage, Megadestroyer, Balthazar) occasionally something else (Grenth).

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I found a bunch of Ice Elementals when lots of people where doing the Flame and Frost Prelude… I couldn’t help but try attacking – oops… there were a lot and they were all veterans ><

I still dream of what that loot might have been….

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in Dynamic Events

Marcus Greythorne.6843

The dragons are easy because they’re heavily zerged, and they’re heavily zerged because they’re easy.

I think they are heavily zerged because there is the dragon-timer. I’m not sure if this is a good thing (too much people = no more scaling = too easy), but on the otherhand… I probably would have never seen a dragon.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

They should remove the safe zones completely.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Aspeon.3520

Aspeon.3520

The dragons are easy because they’re heavily zerged, and they’re heavily zerged because they’re easy.

I think they are heavily zerged because there is the dragon-timer. I’m not sure if this is a good thing (too much people = no more scaling = too easy), but on the otherhand… I probably would have never seen a dragon.

The timer’s definitely a factor. What’s interesting is that the timer is only reliable when the event’s heavily zerged. Without a zerg, the pre-events can get abandoned (Megadestroyer and Lyssa) or nobody updates the timer when it’s done. The timer strengthens the feedback loop, but yeah, it does make it a lot easier to find those bosses up.

And of course, for events with short cooldowns (Maw, Penitent/Shelter) nobody needs the timer, since if they’re farming it they just stick around in the area. But for those it’s less about difficulty and more that more people = more adds = more loot.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I do love the scaling, but it can be frustrating sometimes. For example, one time I was destroying drake eggs in Malchor’s Leap. Each egg I killed completed 10% of the event, until someone walked through without helping, and each egg I killed only gave me 8%. Also, the other day 1 other person and I did the Vollym’s Battle Pit events with 3 people standing around afk, making it significantly harder than usual.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Kamahl.3621

Kamahl.3621

Unless you mean in the context of more veterans spawning, this is not true. Or, if it is, I haven’t in any of my numerous adventures of levelling to 80 and time spent on my engineer in many, many, maaaany dynamic events (about 3500 / 5000 for the achievement, and I’ve farmed orr only a fraction compared to my compatriots). Unless you mean more mobs being upgraded to veteran status, in which case it’s true – but mobs haven’t ever gained more abilities in my experience when they’re the same “tier”. It’s one thing to note the difference between veteran and regular mobs, as they always gain one or two new abilities (Some are more noticeable than others – veteran risen acting more like their dungeon / elite versions).