What happened to Spontaneous Dynamic Content?

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Guild Wars 2 was going to be all about innovation and a living world. A world where dynamic events happened that changed everything. Now we are deluged with boring mini games, 5 man pug dungeons, and the mind numbing reality of farming for junk to fill our bank with stuff we don’t need.

As an example look at Direct support and Advanced support. A instance dungeon where a few players can do King of the hill fighting until they die and get a score and has four levels of difficulty. Wouldn’t it have been nice it was a place that 50 to 100 or so players could go at one time and fight in dynamic events that would on a revolving basis culminate in 4 levels of boss fight. Maybe you have 3 bosses to fight for each level then to finish you have to fight the mega boss with a big group to get the achievement.

Maybe more achievements could be added so if you don’t want to do instance dungeons or PvP or mini games you could still finish. There is just never enough world content to do anything any more. I love going to an area and finding 100 players all doing the same thing and working on the same achievements. If you got to stick us in an instance that’s fine as long as the overflows are full and not just holding patterns.

Is there anything more boring than southern survival? All I have to do to finish is either do Southern Survival or the Direct Support both about as fun as root canal. Both so mind numbing I took the time to come here and complain because it’s actually more fun.

At least in this release we were not forced to redo jumping puzzles again.

These mini games and instance dungeons are fine fluff but should not become the be all and end all of GW2. And should stay in the optional category of play.

And the new Queen Jenna segment looks to be more of the same!

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

We have plenty of events that are regularly trivialized by too many players coming in. I feel these new player-limited thingamajicks are a breath of fresh air compared to zergint the world bosses.

One – Piken Square

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

Guild Wars 2 was going to be all about innovation and a living world. A world where dynamic events happened that changed everything. Now we are deluged with boring mini games, 5 man pug dungeons, and the mind numbing reality of farming for junk to fill our bank with stuff we don’t need.

Yeah I have issues with the current state of dynamic events-a good start for bringing the concept, but it is faaaaaaar from living up to its name. I had given what I thought I would be in for with dynamic events in gw2-using Queensdale’s troll event as a template. Bandits raid farm, players fight back bandits and save farm→players continue to push bandits back into their caves→bandits forced to retreat deeper into cave and awake cave troll→cave troll gets mad, kills bandits and rampages the countryside→troll destroys farm and nearby towns until player intervention→troll dies, but it’s slaughter of bandits leave cave open for harpies→harpies ambush supply dolyaks→use supplies to lvl up etc etc…instead we got was ‘wait 10mins, troll stone popped→kill troll….wait 10mins again’.

When I realized what the dynamic-I mean rotating static events were I had hoped they’d build on the system in the coming months…but no….instead it’s jumping puzzles, minigames and collect-a-thons as you mentioned. I haven’t checked the thread but I’m just about sure a lot of fanboys reacted violently (maybe even saying it was impossible) to me saying the dynamic events are not dynamic and are underdeveloped….however recently at a certain conference for a certain Japanese company that made the first hugely popular mmorpg a certain game was announced…and that game had pretty much everything I just said I thought dynamic events would be like added with the spontaneous nature you apparently are seeking, so I’d say look there for spontaneous dynamic content.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: mcarlosc.3425

mcarlosc.3425

When I first played the game(Beta Weekend Events) I feel that the world map was so big that the events had to be spread thin. Its just painful see the amount of effort the devs put on making hundreds of events and huge maps go to waste. Now they just rely on the Living World concept to keep the game alive since nobody does events anymore.

It’s not enough that I should win; others should fail.

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: loquacious.2915

loquacious.2915

When I first played the game(Beta Weekend Events) I feel that the world map was so big that the events had to be spread thin. Its just painful see the amount of effort the devs put on making hundreds of events and huge maps go to waste. Now they just rely on the Living World concept to keep the game alive since nobody does events anymore.

A lot of that is their own fault. They keep making things that require extremely rare drops. Drops which come from certain types of mobs. So of course no one wants to do the other events. One example is to look at Straights of Devastation. How many of those WPs will be forever contested?

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

A lot of that is their own fault. They keep making things that require extremely rare drops. Drops which come from certain types of mobs. So of course no one wants to do the other events. One example is to look at Straights of Devastation. How many of those WPs will be forever contested?

Underwater events seem to be ignored altogether these days. It’s pretty annoying, since I don’t care about heading to the most ‘efficient’ area to farm content. I prefer gradually weaving my way around the game world and tackling events as they appear.

I just wish the problematic areas/events were identified more often and made more appealing…

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

If loot drops in areas scaled to our level (and we were downscaled better so we weren’t completely overpowered) then people would have more incentive to stay in areas that they liked the aesthetic of. For example, Timberline Falls, Sparkfly Fen and Caledon Forest are nice areas, but because of the low level loot, people will only go to them if there’s some boss there rather than to just play the events and other content in those areas.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Illveran.3514

Illveran.3514

At first when i saw dynamic events in gw2’s commercials just before betas i was sure i will be soon playing at last a great open world sandbox game. I was so wrong. Im not saying that the game is bad the way it is now but i had some imaginations what the game could have been.

Imagine all those cities in open world areas that could be taken by some guilds. Those places could have some unique crafting materials that could be gathered only there. Holding such places should be interesting also: other guilds could have the possibility to buy or assault such place not mentioning events that appear around that city.

There should be more events that u need to click to start that are more that just 1 event but few ones that actually tells some story. Wouldnt be bad idea that some of them would be instanced disallowing to zerg them. Or I would also like to be able to join an instance of a map not filled with zergs of people just to do some quests from start to end with friends not being frustrated by people just porting from waypoint to waypoint for events..

Concerning waypoints. Most of them should dissapear.. only 1 – 3 per map or maybe some other ways of transport: disable passive 25% move speed on characters, add mounts so people could actually see some places.

Just some thoughts, cheers.

(edited by Illveran.3514)

in Dynamic Events

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

^regarding guilds taking over cities. That would be a really bad idea as it would put smaller, less powerful guilds at a huge disadvantage in that bit of content.