10/1 patch?

10/1 patch?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Roven Leafsong.8917

Roven Leafsong.8917

Hey all,

I’ve noticed that there have been a couple of dev posts on the forums noting that there was a patch planned for “10/1”, and I assumed this meant 1 October rather than 10 January.

I believe the issue, which is fixed in the 10/1 build, is that the NPCs are set to follow Trahearne. If he’s out of range or dead when they receive the follow order, this can cause them to ignore it and do nothing. In the 10/1 update I set them to follow the primary player, so this shouldn’t be an issue.

Has this been pushed back to a later date?

I am really looking forward to seeing what the update contains, most particularly whether there are any substantial changes to mechanics. Big changes are probably unlikely, I know, but I’m still insanely curious!

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

It does mean 1 October… or as I like to call it: October 1.

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

10/1 patch?

Roven Leafsong.8917

Yeah, I thought that was how you crazy Americans liked to mix up your dates. :P

And I can completely understand if the patch needed to be delayed to ensure it all works correctly, I’m just curious.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Masher.8051

Masher.8051

Yeah got to remember the Americans like to put the month before the day with their dates.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Dibrom.6408

Dibrom.6408

Pfft, makes sense. 1 October is one of the many Octobers out there.
October 1 is the first October of many.

My point is: The update will happen 1 minute (minute 1?) before midnight (my midnight).

October 2!

Arenanet: The paragon of truth.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Licht.5168

Licht.5168

The patch will be up tonight around midnight PDT, assuming nothing is there to delay it.

Xarinn – Warrior L80 – 400AS/400WS
Sanctum of Rall
“Quaggan’s a piwate! Yarr!” – “Pirate”

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

ArenaNet apparently does not know that midnight is the beginning of a new day, so they say patches are a day earlier than they really are.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Yeah, I thought that was how you crazy Americans liked to mix up your dates. :P

And I can completely understand if the patch needed to be delayed to ensure it all works correctly, I’m just curious.

Just want to chime in on this.
We would say: October 1st, 2012. (10/01/2012)
The other way would be saying it: The 1st of October, 2012. (01/10/2012)

It’s not that Americans changed the numerical positioning just to be different, it’s just how we say the full date compared to other countries/languages.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

“ArenaNet apparently does not know that midnight is the beginning of a new day, so they say patches are a day earlier than they really are.”

Yes, Americans do things bass-ackwards. Patching usually happens around 3 am my time, midnight server time. Even though AM is technically the morning, we still call it “the middle of the night.” And even though it occurs as Oct 1 is shifting into Oct 2 mostly unnoticed because two thirds of the country is asleep, we still consider it happening on the night of Oct 1.

You have a few hours to wait.

10/1 patch?

Roven Leafsong.8917

I think I know why I was a tad early – I didn’t realise that the forum time was different to the part of the US where ArenaNet must be located.

The forum timestamps must be in GMT, whereas PDT is later. Or maybe it just shows that way to me – maybe the forum timestamps default to GMT if it works out from your IP that you are not from the US?

Oh well, that’s a good thing either way – I can continue to look forward to the patch this afternoon with anticipation!

(edited by Roven Leafsong.8917)

10/1 patch?

Roven Leafsong.8917

Excellent, thanks ArenaNet!

Looks like a lot of work behind the improvements – not quite what I was hoping for perhaps, but nonetheless there seem to be a few solid fixes in there.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

Just checked the patch notes – some good stuff there!

10/1 patch?

Posted by: DJPenguin.6945

DJPenguin.6945

they forgot to post the warrior changes

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Azaziel.3608

Azaziel.3608

The kittenin frog SP in the asuran starter zone just got bugged again in my server….great fix guys…

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Dark Saviour.9410

Dark Saviour.9410

Just found out about the nude thing and that seemed amusing, but it was apparently quashed here? So, bleh.

Beyond that though, nothing particularly noteworthy for me.
Claw of Jormag fix is good though I suppose. I don’t bother with the dragons as much as I previously did, but whenever I did go there with the intention of fighting him just to see the Pact firing at an empty hill, it was a bit annoying.

Gone for good after Halloween 2Ø12.
A shame fun things could not simply be fun.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: juiceman.2870

juiceman.2870

I like how they made the bridge centaur event harder. Only thing is though there are a lot more events needing changes like this to make them harder not just this one.

10/1 patch?

Posted by: Master Fuhon.1068

Master Fuhon.1068

The modern world revolves around technology and industry, along with products and process that vastly outnumber the [self-centered] people on any one continent. Whatever is more efficient for our machines to work with; that is the language we will all come to speak in the public marketplace.

It is more logically correct to refer to dates in MM-DD form. This is how we deal with things in international standard science (SI units), mentioning the larger incremented scale before we mention the smaller ones (hh:mm:ss). Denominations that change less, like the year, are often truncated. If you were to use those as file names, they could be sorted chronologically by anything that reads the first character it sees.

The name of the weekday is typically mentioned before providing Month/Day because most of the world operates on a repeating 7 day workweek; not because it is correct to start with smaller denominations first. A large part of the world has a regular schedule where the same days are on and off every week for much of the year, and the number of the month is less relevant. This is likely why people started to put the number before the month (i.e. Today is Monday the first). People are not good when it comes to merging previously-learned contradictory systems.

If we operated more efficiently, we would likely say something like October – Monday – 1st. The calendar is a form of data table; when describing a data table we refer to page (header), column (letter), and then row (number). However, people have been dealing with irregular calendar dates for so long, that a more efficient way of doing it would sound wrong to them (October M1, T2, W3, R4, F5, S6, N7). I’m sure if someone tried, they can come up with a fast system that relays all necessary business-world information about a date (like end of month crunch).

When you are referring to a date in a different month, you would make note of the month change first so the person you were conversing with could process it better. This comes from how scheduling is done; while physically using a calendar, you must flip the page to the next month before you begin looking for the date number. There is no reason to state the day followed by the name of the month, unless you realized after the fact that the month needed to be mentioned. If you were referring to the current month, you often assume the person knows it (i.e. Patch day is the 1st).

Dibrom is also correct to point out how our counting system puts the number before the object it describes (5 apples, 1 october). This makes putting the number first an even worse idea; someone starts to process that you are counting objects instead of refering to time.