100% Representation and HoT.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Hello, I have a problem with some details of how Guilds work today, and would be very thankful if you can help me.

The setup:

I’m on a Guild that I like very much. We do Guild Missions every week, the leaders are very welcoming and explain most aspects of the game to newbies with patience and care, people is close and fun, there is a very active PvP group that encourages people to participate and learn, and all the normal teasing and rivalry between members is mostly mild and good natured. We also do Quaggan races, guess the song, find the Quaggan, and other silly social activities that are refreshing and hilarious. There is a TS working all day long with people doing diverse types of organized PvE stuff (Not Wurm, but almost everything else). The guild is somewhat large and active (400 ish people, 30-50 connected at a time), and we all speak the same language. In short, it is a really good guild I enjoy to be in.

I have also created a mini-Guild that I share with 6 close friends. This Guild is really familiar, we all know and see each other in RL frequently, and the name and titles on the guild are stupid private jokes. When started, it was mostly for banking purposes, and a bit to know better the guild systems, but it quickly became a exclusive space for our closed group, were we can play and talk without worrying about the rest of the game. I, of course, also deeply love to be there.

Finally, during my solo explorations through Tyria, simply walking around an searching for beautiful spots, I’ve found a couple of really interesting and dedicated RP Guilds. I’ve stood there, at the edge of their rping just reading their dialogues and stories, and found it to be truly entertaining, some times even deeply moving. Of course, every time I’m thinking on joining them.

The problem:

My bigger guild demand 100% representation. They don’t have hard to follow rules nor ask for gold, they only ask you to greet the rest when you enter and leave, and 100% rep.

That means they notice whenever I switch to my smaller guild, and accuse me of not following the one rule. That also means I can’t join any other guild to RP.

4 of my friends in the small guild refuse to join the bigger guild were the rest of us are, so making a smaller team inside the major group is not an option. They are not interested in Guild Missions or the continuous talking in TS, and they are always pressing me to leave the big guild and dedicate my time to the familiar one. RP people are much more common in the language my bigger guild don’t speak, so creating RP inside my main guild isn’t realistic either.

The questions:

1- What is exactly representation? What is the reason to need 100%?
2- If the game allows you to join 5 guilds, why it seems to encourage you to stay in only one?
3- Will this change with Guild Halls and the new HoT Guild mechanics?
4- How would you deal with a situation like this?

Thank you for reading this long post. Please discuss, I’m really interested in knowing your opinion.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

1. It mean you represent (show) in guild when you play. Some guild want every single point of influence can get by have every player represent all time they play. This change to I think call favor and different system when HoT release. Plus some guild like see guild name every where.

2. Arena net allow to play in 5 guild. It is guild you in make rule to represent not arena net. So it is you guild not the game encourage to stay in one.

3. This is up to you guild.

4. I would leave guild and say sorry for luck. Many good guild in game that do not make such a demand. I do not play in 100% represent guild because I have personal guild a guild I like for PvE and a guild I like for PvP and WvW.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

Posted by: Tapioca.9062

Tapioca.9062

1) Representation is the mechanic that determines which of the guilds you’re in that you currently display to the outside world. Representing allows you to do various things like claim areas in WvW if you have those rank privileges set, lets you join your guild during Guild Missions and it generates a guild resource, influence, when you complete activities in the game.

The reason to 100% rep a guild is so they receive all of your generated influence, but beyond that, is to develop and maintain a consistent, active community. If 75% of your guild isn’t repping it can become difficult to keep your community alive. People tend to like to be where other people are so 100% rep rules help keep the community centred.

2) It doesn’t. From your perspective I can understand why it would seem that way, but many players enjoy an environment of being in multiple guilds. If you’ve willingly chosen to join a 100% rep guild then you’ve essentially agreed to only have one guild available to you.

3) I doubt 100% repping will disappear in HoT. However, HoT is slated to bring in multiple guild chats so you should be able to maintain a 100% rep rate in one guild but still talk to your friends in you social guild at the same time.

4) I would handle this situation by leaving the 100% rep guild and finding a guild more to my tastes. I do not like 100% rep guild so I do not join 100% rep guilds. As an Oceanic player I tend to have periods of the day where one of my guilds is dead. At that point, I switch to another guild that actually has people online. In a 100% rep guild or even a “rep us 80% of the time” guild, I would run into trouble if it were discovered I were doing that, even if the rest of the guild was offline.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Since Influence will no longer be a Guild feature in HoT, your large guild may, or may not, relax that requirement. Depending on how Favor is accumulated, they may institute some other requirement.

I would, perhaps, stay until HoT is released and find out how Guilds will operate, at that time, and then make a decision.

Good luck.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The “issue” of 100% representation comes up frequently. The debate is always the same:

• Most people don’t really have an opinion.
  • Some people think it shouldn’t be allowed, as a matter of principle.
  • Some think that those who dislike the concept should just join guilds that don’t require it.

There’s some debate over whether guilds should or should not require it and my advice is always the same: don’t ask for 100% rep unless you have a very specific reason for doing so. Reasons include:

• Large guilds of 400+ members, as a way to manage overpopulation. That is, remove low-rep players in favor of those willing to rep more often.
  • Theme-specific guilds, usually only limiting to relevant circumstances. For example, WvW guilds with formal raid times can reasonably ask for rep during those times.
  • Low-pop guilds trying to create a specific culture, mood, etc. It’s hard to do that if people are coming and going all the time.

In contrast, most guilds (again in my opinion) should do things that encourage participation rather than require it. Give people a reason to always rep, such as a safe chat/VoIP environment and frequent formal and informal activities. There’s no bigger turn off to a member than to force them to rep a guild, without providing anything in return for that level of commitment.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

1) Representation means that’s the guild you’re actively part of at that time. There are a number of reasons a guild might want 100% representation. For some it’s about earning influence, for others it’s having their name out there in the world for other people to see and for others it’s simply about having an active community. If you’re not representing the guild then you can’t see or participate in guild chat and are therefore unlikely to join in with other activities – if someone invites people to do a dungeon for example you’re not going to know and can’t join in.

My first guild was declared inactive a few months back. Very few people actually left, but no one represents it any more so even though we’re often online at the same time (there can be more people online in that guild than in my others) we can’t talk to each other, can’t easily do things as a group and the guild may as well not exist. It’s also a vicious circle – if someone logs in and sees no one representing the guild they’re unlikely to bother representing either, which means no one else has an incentive to represent….

2) The game doesn’t encourage you to stay in just one. It’s guilds and guild leaders who do that. But it depends on the guild. Many guilds exist for a specific purpose, like tournament PvP teams, and their members will usually have at least 1 other guild they play with when they’re not doing that specific activity.

3) Apparently HoT is going to allow you to see guild chat for all your guilds at once, so for some it might change. But as people have said it’s the individual guilds, not the game, which set this rule so it really depends on the guild. Some will drop it, others probably won’t.

4) If it was me I’d speak to the leader of the big guild privately at a convenient time (maybe via some system which means they/you don’t have to reply right away, like in-game mail, email or a PM on a forum), ask why they have a 100% representation rule, why I’d like to be able to represent another guild sometime and see if we can reach a compromise.

For example if the big guild is primarily a social one and therefore they mainly want people to represent so they can participate in conversations and things, but they also use TS maybe you could agree that even if you’re representing the other one you’ll still be on TS.

Or maybe you can agree certain times when you’ll represent each guild, so you’re still there when they need you for activities but can also play with your friends.

If you can’t come to an agreement it might be necessary to ask yourself if this is really the guild for you, or if you could get the same benefits elsewhere without the conflict.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I would never join a guild that requires 100% rep any more than I would join a club that didn’t let me join any other clubs.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I would never join a guild that requires 100% rep any more than I would join a club that didn’t let me join any other clubs.

I’m the complete opposite. I’m much more interested in a 100% rep Guild to find solid players who I know will be around when I need to ask a question, or want to start a party for something.

Not hop scotch around my Friends List and other Guilds. 100% rep is basically every other Guild system in existence in other games; joining one opens up a community of players that are united under one banner so-to-speak.

Moving away from Alliances that GW1 had is just another mistake ArenaNet made when trying to “innovate” in GW2.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ultimately this boils down to not joining a group whose membership requirements you are not willing to abide by.

No offense to anyone in this sort of situation but desiring the benefits of membership in a given group without being willing to follow the rules of the group is a problem. Really you just have to decide whether or not being in the group, guild, is worth the trade-off to you.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Guild Upgrades cost influence. Influence is only earned by members that represent the guild 100%. Everyone who doesn’t represent 100% is just abusing the work of others and has to be kicked. Sadly anet does support such toxic behavior with their 5 guild system.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: DaikonSamurai.6714

DaikonSamurai.6714

Any group of people who will exclude you over a handful of digital currency were never your friends in the first place.

The guild system is changing drastically with Guild Halls so if possible wait to see if that changes the situation, but if you are forced to choose I would stick with my IRL friends if I were in your shoes.

DaikonSamurai.6714

Guild Upgrades cost influence. Influence is only earned by members that represent the guild 100%. Everyone who doesn’t represent 100% is just abusing the work of others and has to be kicked. Sadly anet does support such toxic behavior with their 5 guild system.

You don’t have to rep 100% to earn influence, you just earn the guild you rep influence. You could 50% rep your own guild and %50 rep another and both would earn influence based on what you did during the time you represented each.

The guilds I join usually request you only represent while playing with them which seems plenty fair imo.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m the complete opposite. I’m much more interested in a 100% rep Guild to find solid players who I know will be around when I need to ask a question, or want to start a party for something.

Thank Kormir the game accommodates both styles. You can be in a guild that doesn’t require 100% rep or be in one that does.

I’m not sure why it matters to anyone else which you prefer (not that Vayne or Copestetic or suggesting that it does — it’s more other people commenting on such threads that do so).

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Thank Kormir the game accommodates both styles. You can be in a guild that doesn’t require 100% rep or be in one that does.

I’m not sure why it matters to anyone else which you prefer (not that Vayne or Copestetic or suggesting that it does — it’s more other people commenting on such threads that do so).

Just a joke by when I see you name I wonder if you now Illconceived EU.

;)

Vayne.8563

Not hop scotch around my Friends List and other Guilds. 100% rep is basically every other Guild system in existence in other games; joining one opens up a community of players that are united under one banner so-to-speak.

Moving away from Alliances that GW1 had is just another mistake ArenaNet made when trying to “innovate” in GW2.

Nothing stops guys from joining and leaving guilds. The way to make a guild good is to set it up so people want to be there. If you force them to be there, and they don’t want to, your guild sucks.

If you have to make it a rule, then it’s probably not good enough to hold people there organically.

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Any group of people who will exclude you over a handful of digital currency were never your friends in the first place. Edit: under me, I would have put up an sarcasm sign if I would have found one…

The guild system is changing drastically with Guild Halls so if possible wait to see if that changes the situation, but if you are forced to choose I would stick with my IRL friends if I were in your shoes.

Guilds are not for friends. For friends you have the friendlist. Guilds are for people to get together for a common goal.

But yes, I hope for the guild change with HoT too. Alot if what has been anounced is effectively to remove the current system problems. If we really can represent 5 guilds at the same time, and guild currencie is only ganied with guildmissions and raids and that the overall guildschat works, well then the guild system is pretty close to be perfect.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

(edited by Bomber.3872)

Vayne.8563

Any group of people who will exclude you over a handful of digital currency were never your friends in the first place.

Guilds are not for friends. For friends you have the friendlist. Guilds are for people to get together for a common goal.

But yes, I hope for the guild change with HoT too. Alot if what has been anounced is effectively to remove the current system problems. If we really can represent 5 guilds at the same time, and guild currencie is only ganied with guildmissions and raids and that the overall guildschat works, well then the guild system is pretty close to be perfect.

Guilds are not for friends? lol

Okay so supposed 12 friends all want to chat at one time. How do they do that with the friends list? Suppose friends are doing different things in game, but they still want to keep in touch with each other.

Guilds aren’t just for what you say. They’re for a range of things, because social guilds are a thing.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

In my guild we had 100% representation but I have scrapped that rule now as I beleave that the representation mechanic will be gone with HoT.

Why did I have it? Well becouse I noticed alot of players started looking for other guilds as soon as they joined and never gave our guild a chance to prove that we where the guild for them. It also looks realy bad when/if you have like 30 people online but only a handfull represents and does not answer on whispers when we want to do some guild activities, they could rather be kicked from my guild.

On the other hand when we had 100% rep I always was kind enough to let them stay in guild as allies(Allied status) if they told me reasons to why they rather be in another guild but still want to have a spot in our guild and also as we are a cross server guild it is hard to get a good WvW team so I let those who like to play WvW if they want they are free to join a WvW guild when they are doing WvW stuff.

As I said, now I don’t care about representing. It is hard to find new members at the moment as we have pretty tough restrictions so whatever member who is allowed to join is welcome to stay even if they do not represent as I beleave that when HoT hits they will be able to se our chat as well as other guilds chat.

My cup of tea.

Most of my friends are in my Guild, I should say that guilds are not only for friends. But I actually have another Guild where only all my friends are, I have that guild forr those of my friends who are more casual players and doesn’t want to join bigger guilds.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

DaikonSamurai.6714

I’m much more interested in a 100% rep Guild to find solid players who I know will be around when I need to ask a question, or want to start a party for something.

And that’s perfectly fine if you’ve found one guild that likes to do everything you’re interested in and has all your friends in it. But what if you have one group for RP, or one for Guild Missions, or one for PvP, or WvW, dungeons, GvG, PvE trains, etc.etc.etc… It’s a lot tougher for a multi-game-mode player to find a guild who enjoy the exact combination of those things. And for those kind of people, it’s rather selfish of one of those guilds to demand all the influence you are earning while playing with the other guilds don’t you think?

Though as said before in this thread, it does simply come down to “don’t join a guild if you are unwilling to meet their requirements”.

DaikonSamurai.6714

Any group of people who will exclude you over a handful of digital currency were never your friends in the first place. Edit: under me, I would have put up an sarcasm sign if I would have found one…

No sarcasm emote required. In your opinion and for your playstyle guilds are not for friends, and that’s cool if that suits you. But many people enjoy building up a guild and it’s bonuses as a group of friends/family as well. It’s not exclusively for one or the other it’s whatever you make of it.

Either way that’s not the point. The point is many guilds enjoy doing different combinations of things, and many players enjoy doing different things. Finding a pair of guild and player that match exactly in those combinations and at whatever tolerable skill level they each have is very unlikely to happen, so many players are in multiple guilds to best suit their playstyle. When one guild demands %100 of that players influence, they are demanding that influence be taken away from the player’s other guilds which in my opinion is very selfish.

The OP is in this very situation where they may have to choose between their friend guild or a 100% rep guild and I simply meant I would choose IRL friends guild if I were in their shoes as the 100% rep guild would drop them over not paying a digital currency.

(edited by DaikonSamurai.6714)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Simple answer: just leave the guild. There are plenty of guilds to go around. Sticking to your friends will be more fun in the long run. Personally I prefer guilds that run with the core/allied concept.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

a lot of ppl are saying guilds are enforcing full rep rule because of influence

honestly speaking, new guilds or even small/medium size guilds that enforce full rep rules for influence are sub-standard guilds because they have to resort to such things to get influence to build their guilds. also, because of them, ppl led to thinking that even the old large guilds enforce these rules for influence

large guilds enforce full rep rule because of space. theres only 500 space and 500 space isn’t a lot if the guild is a 24hour guild. imagine having tons of ppl joining ur guild with very little intention of repping and end up hogging ur guild space while not contributing anything to your guild. your 24hr guild will fall apart within a month.

also, most large full rep guild allow you to rep personal bank and world boss guild like tts. some nicer one will also let you rep other kind of farming guild like for dry top and silverwaste as long you not un-rep for too long.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

The questions:

2- If the game allows you to join 5 guilds, why it seems to encourage you to stay in only one?

Thank you for reading this long post. Please discuss, I’m really interested in knowing your opinion.

1) Representation has a few advantages for a guild:
-Influence. This is pretty unnecessary for most guilds, considering they earn far more than they need to spend. It’s more useful for smaller and starting-out guilds.
-Subliminal advertisement/being an ambassador of your guild. If there are players looking for a guild, the more often they see your guild tag and name, the more drawn they will be into choosing your guild in the future.
-Communication. If people are representing, it’s easy to organise parties and other guild activities.
-Community.Jumping into the guild panel and seeing all of those names with a little green “online” box next to them. It’s like walking into a room, and seeing a load of friendly faces. It is pretty disappointing going into the guild panel and seeing a very small percentage actually representing.

My main problem with representation is that it doesn’t consider how much time you spend online, or your activity within the guild. For example, a person could be 100% rep, but only spend 1 hour a day online and never do any activities within the guild/speak in guild chat. A guild orientated person who spends 8 hours in-game a day, who only represents for 6 of them would be punished, even though they are doing more for the guild.

2) A-net want people to have the option of joining 5 guilds. In GW2 (compared to GW1) there are more game-modes and a larger variety of content, meaning that if you wanted to be in a “speciality guild” you’d be cutting yourself off from the rest of the game, in some respects. A-net want players to have their fingers in many pies, so to speak. 100% rep is not A-net’s doing, it’s the choice of guilds and their leaders.

3)Influence is disappearing and it will be possible to see guild chat without being represented. I think many guilds will drop the 100% rep rule, aside for the ones that want people to be “advertising” their guild.

4) I understand the benefits of 100% rep guilds, but don’t agree that a guild should use the rule unless they can absolutely offer every aspect of the game. I’ll happily stick with a single guild if they’re a great community and somewhat busy- I don’t need a rule to make me stay. I would hope that many guilds will reconsider this rule with HoT.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I’m on a Guild that I like very much. We do Guild Missions every week, the leaders are very welcoming and explain most aspects of the game to newbies with patience and care, people is close and fun, there is a very active PvP group that encourages people to participate and learn, and all the normal teasing and rivalry between members is mostly mild and good natured. We also do Quaggan races, guess the song, find the Quaggan, and other silly social activities that are refreshing and hilarious. There is a TS working all day long with people doing diverse types of organized PvE stuff (Not Wurm, but almost everything else). The guild is somewhat large and active (400 ish people, 30-50 connected at a time), and we all speak the same language. In short, it is a really good guild I enjoy to be in.

Now imagine the guild above is a no rep guild. There may be 30-50 people online at a time but there maybe 15-20 people reping at a time.

You’ll have less people to pvp with in the guild. You’ll have less people to talk on TS or guild chat. You probably wont’ even have enough people to do quaggan race or other social activities.

Also there are active guild which only require you to rep “most of the time”. You can try joining one of those too. While still able to play with your small group of 5 friend when they are online.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

DaikonSamurai.6714

honestly speaking, new guilds or even small/medium size guilds that enforce full rep rules for influence are sub-standard guilds because they have to resort to such things to get influence to build their guilds. also, because of them, ppl led to thinking that even the old large guilds enforce these rules for influence

large guilds enforce full rep rule because of space. theres only 500 space and 500 space isn’t a lot if the guild is a 24hour guild. imagine having tons of ppl joining ur guild with very little intention of repping and end up hogging ur guild space while not contributing anything to your guild. your 24hr guild will fall apart within a month.

also, most large full rep guild allow you to rep personal bank and world boss guild like tts. some nicer one will also let you rep other kind of farming guild like for dry top and silverwaste as long you not un-rep for too long.

If said people only rep while they play with said large guild they are contributing to the guild. And any perceived social contributions they make will only be when they play with/for the guild anyway so there’s even less reason to enforce 100% rep imo since any massive activity they do together will have them overflowing with influence anyway.

And if they allow you to rep for other activities then they aren’t 100% rep now are they.

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

I agree with the suggestion of talking to your guild leader and seeing why they have that rule. I would also explain the situation with your friends (that they don’t want to join a bigger guild but you still want to play with them), they should listen to you. And if they don’t then I would leave. You can’t promise their 100% rule and that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m in a guild where the rule is “Majority rep” not 100%. Cause we know people might want a WvW guild and a PvP guild.

SkyShroud.2865

If said people only rep while they play with said large guild they are contributing to the guild. And any perceived social contributions they make will only be when they play with/for the guild anyway so there’s even less reason to enforce 100% rep imo since any massive activity they do together will have them overflowing with influence anyway.

And if they allow you to rep for other activities then they aren’t 100% rep now are they.

i dont think you run a large guild before.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: WabbaJaga.3861

WabbaJaga.3861

Difficult. Regarding RP you could talk to the leader of your big guild and explain to him/her that you’re not really gaining influence while typing in chat. I had that problem in another game and decided to give up my (still very new) PvX guild because of that. Not because they required me to spend a lot of time with them but because I felt bad for not participating enough.

RP, on the other hand, cannot be organized without guilds because of the Megaserver. It would be too difficult for new RPers to find others and get into the right version of the map or find somebody for a taxi. Maybe your guild leader will understand.

Best of luck.

(edited by WabbaJaga.3861)

Posted by: aquathanos.9714

aquathanos.9714

The reason to 100% rep a guild is so they receive all of your generated influence, but beyond that, is to develop and maintain a consistent, active community.

pretty much this is the most important reason. 100% represent has so many benefits as stated before, being and staying social in one big community is the most important, people that dont want to fully represent or just like to jump from one guild to another tend to be loners, anti-social, they don’t care for other people hard work, they dont bother to know them, to speak with them, they only care for themselves. In my opinion 100% rep is a must, history has shown that only guilds that requires it are still alive, especially after so many months with 0 content, ppl are losing interest of the game, these large guilds with 100% rep even if they are more “casual” or not, keeps people in game. With HoT we will have access on different guild chat tabs, so 100% rep on 1 guild won’t be a problem (for example main guild 100% rep and 4 others non representing: 1 focused on fractals, 1 for wvw, 1 for pvp, 1 for TT, with chat tabs activated, problem solved partially, guild banks probably will be deleted slowly since all guild progress done till now will be deleted, at least that’s my guess. And since i touched guild banks, that main guild that asks for 100% rep, will have the power to help re create each individual guild bank).
Still having the possibility to belong in 5 guilds, was a huge mistake from Anet, created so many problems : personal guild banks, so much hate between full and non req reputation guilds, toxicity among players, impossibility to take part in every single guild event at the same time. Also the limit of 500 members/guild, the lack of alliances and alliance chat …. All the guild missions that will be introduced, the acquisition of a guild hall, all guild activities with HoT, will require active people, an active guild, that means that 100% rep will become even more important.

Returning to the first post, as you mentioned this is your friends problem for not wanting to become a part of a bigger community (this is an mmo after all). If i were in your position i would stick in the main guild, after all you can never know when your friends will become bored of RPing, or playing the game. I would try to convince them to join in this big guild, or join in a private ts/mumble channel with your friends and play together, you don’t need a small guild for that.

sorry for any errors, english is not my primary language

Vayne.8563

The reason to 100% rep a guild is so they receive all of your generated influence, but beyond that, is to develop and maintain a consistent, active community.

pretty much this is the most important reason. 100% represent has so many benefits as stated before, being and staying social in one big community is the most important, people that dont want to fully represent or just like to jump from one guild to another tend to be loners, anti-social, they don’t care for other people hard work, they dont bother to know them, to speak with them, they only care for themselves. In my opinion 100% rep is a must, history has shown that only guilds that requires it are still alive, especially after so many months with 0 content, ppl are losing interest of the game, these large guilds with 100% rep even if they are more “casual” or not, keeps people in game. With HoT we will have access on different guild chat tabs, so 100% rep on 1 guild won’t be a problem (for example main guild 100% rep and 4 others non representing: 1 focused on fractals, 1 for wvw, 1 for pvp, 1 for TT, with chat tabs activated, problem solved partially, guild banks probably will be deleted slowly since all guild progress done till now will be deleted, at least that’s my guess. And since i touched guild banks, that main guild that asks for 100% rep, will have the power to help re create each individual guild bank).
Still having the possibility to belong in 5 guilds, was a huge mistake from Anet, created so many problems : personal guild banks, so much hate between full and non req reputation guilds, toxicity among players, impossibility to take part in every single guild event at the same time. Also the limit of 500 members/guild, the lack of alliances and alliance chat …. All the guild missions that will be introduced, the acquisition of a guild hall, all guild activities with HoT, will require active people, an active guild, that means that 100% rep will become even more important.

Returning to the first post, as you mentioned this is your friends problem for not wanting to become a part of a bigger community (this is an mmo after all). If i were in your position i would stick in the main guild, after all you can never know when your friends will become bored of RPing, or playing the game. I would try to convince them to join in this big guild, or join in a private ts/mumble channel with your friends and play together, you don’t need a small guild for that.

sorry for any errors, english is not my primary language

This is the same reason I only have one set of friends, and never go to another set of friends. I might somehow dilute my first friends. Sorry but this doesn’t work for me. I’ll explain why.

I have an open door policy with people in my guild. I have a rank for the regular guild members, who mostly rep, but now, with influence going away, many are working feverishly on personal guild banks. To work on them, they have to rep their own private guilds.

But, I have other people from other guilds who come into my mumble. They’ve become an extended family of sorts. You can have closer relationships and distant relations. We’re not so limited as a species that having an extended family negates our family.

I have a lot of people I know from the forums who message me in game. A year or so ago, I met one of them while killing ambients with a speargun in Wayfarer foothill. I was tired and watching something so I thought I’d work on speargun mastery. She recognized me from the forums.

She’s not in my guild. But we stayed in touch and one day they were doing a fractal, almost done and someone left. I happened to be on her friends list. So I got invited to that party. I met other people in her guild.

A couple of times now, those people have contacted me to do fractals and they’ve had room for other people in my guild. So where as I originally only had one lot of people, now I have multiple lots of people to do things with.

You don’t get a stronger group by isolating yourself. You get a stronger group by being exposed to the community.

And what if someone from my guild decided they like that guild better and left? Well that’s fine because ideally I want my friends to be happy.

My guild has consistently since launch had a decent amount of people repping to keep the game fun and fresh for most of us. That’s over 3 years (we ran Guild Wars 1 as a Guild Wars 2 guild before launch). 3 years and we’re far far bigger than we were at launch.

You don’t need to make people rep you to have a strong guild. It’s a sign of weakness if you feel you need to.

DaikonSamurai.6714

No, but I am a member of a 300-400 member guild with nearly no rep required even when playing together and we all get on ts and coordinate just fine. Plenty rep and donate to keep things running including myself. So I know it can work. Apparently 100% rep works for your guild and whatever you enjoy doing is cool. It just wouldn’t work for me.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

The irony of GW2 guild system, is that in a attempt to promote guilds through rep and multi-guilds, they pretty much made guilds mega and useless.

laokoko.7403

No, but I am a member of a 300-400 member guild with nearly no rep required even when playing together and we all get on ts and coordinate just fine. Plenty rep and donate to keep things running including myself. So I know it can work. Apparently 100% rep works for your guild and whatever you enjoy doing is cool. It just wouldn’t work for me.

That is totally false. It worked “for you”. You like the way how it is “for you”.

Some people dont’ think it work “for them”. Not everyone likes the same thing.

Your guild may have like 20-30 people you can play with. And maybe 10 people online at off time.

I like to be in a guild with 50 people online at all time. Even 3am eastern time. Your guild won’t “work for me”. If a guild is a no rep guild. It is almost impossible for them to have 50 people online 24/7. Unless they are a mega multiguild.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

DaikonSamurai.6714

That is totally false. It worked “for you”. You like the way how it is “for you”.

Some people dont’ think it work “for them”. Not everyone likes the same thing.

Your guild may have like 20-30 people you can play with. And maybe 10 people online at off time.

I like to be in a guild with 50 people online at all time. Even 3am eastern time. Your guild won’t “work for me”. If a guild is a no rep guild. It is almost impossible for them to have 50 people online 24/7. Unless they are a mega multiguild.

Um… that’s what I said… 100% rep is not what works for me but works for the other guy. Also yes there are multiple guilds that work within that one guild I mentioned. It’s still a guild and we all interact/work together. No I don’t think it would be for you either.

SkyShroud.2865

it is a matter of linear thinking vs non-linear thinking

im not saying non-rep is not possible, my guild was never a full rep from the get go. we only implement it later. so, again, im not saying that it is impossible to build guild with little rep enforcement, again, i even mentioned that any small/medium sized guild that enforce rep rule are sub-standard guilds. this also include small/medium sized guilds that tried to make rep rule like evil cult rules, those are sub-standard guilds as well.

however, the point is many people are very focused in linear thinking and not considering any other perspectives. then, i noticed quite a number of people trying to make rep rule as some kind of evil existence. yes, there are a lot of bad full rep guilds here and there but it isnt fair to group all those successful large guilds together with them.

now, the question is, what is a large guild? it is not just mere total numbers of people you have in your roster but rather your overall activeness of the guild that spread across multiple timezone, not just one single timezone. it is easy to create a single timezone guild, i’ve been through that but to sustain a multiple timezones guild is where things start to get complicated.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

(edited by SkyShroud.2865)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

1) I’ll answer as a guild leader myself. The appeal of larger guild is to have people online. Enough people that you will find people to do stuff with you. When someone is not representing, they don’t see the guild chat, so they can’t participate in the activities. Like you said yourself, you have around 400 people but only 30-40 people are online at the same time. That is true from most guild. My guild is around 460-480 and the vast majority were online in the last 2 weeks. Even there, we usually have between 40-60 people online. Since we are not 100% Rep, we always have between 5 and 5 people not representing. So even tho I’m working hard everyday to keep people active, recruting, etc We still end up with a pool of 35-45 people online at the same time that can participate in activities together. 35-45 people seem like a lot, but with people that already did their dungeon, fractal, etc, other people already doing stuff, some people afk, other not reading their guild chat, you have rarely enough people to fill out all your parties. That’s the main goal of a 100% Rep for bigger guild. They want active people that will be present in the guild chat when they are online. I personnally, I don’t want to impose that in my guild, but I understand why some people want to impose it.

2) The game don’t encourage you to stay in one guild. They gave us tools and different players create different guild with different goal in mind.

3) There is nothing in the game that will change. What will your guild do with these new tools is totally up to them. One thing they could add is more stats on player in the guild. It can be hard to see the difference between someone that never represent the guild and someone that only switch from time to time. Some guild just want to weed out people that joined and never participated, and one of their only option is to 100% Rep. Additional information on that could help guild to kick people that never represent the guild and allow them to remove their 100% Rep policy.

4) It seem that 4 of your friends are stubborn. I’ll tell you what I did in the early months of the game. I had a small friends guild, but after a couple of months, a lot of them stopped playing. A couple were still there and were playing on a regular basis, but there was always a couple of hours per week where I was playing alone. I joined another guild and represented them instead. That didn’t stop me from playing with my friends the second they were online. They kept representing their guild, but when they were online I was on their communication program, in party with them, playing with them, just not in the same guild. In the end of the day, it doesn’t make any difference.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Not hop scotch around my Friends List and other Guilds.

And also no personal bank guild. I once asked a player who had added that 100% rep to his guild spam about that and never received an answer….

I usually rep my main guild, except when I’m cleaning storage…

Posted by: StrangerDanger.3496

StrangerDanger.3496

Have your buddies join the bigger guild with you. Ask the leadership for a private TS channel to be made so you can hang out with them without being weird in common channels.

Problem solved.

I don’t see a point to mini guilds frankly.

The only thing I would question is how you are suppose to WvW with this this big guild. That might be your only out. I know I have a really small guild that I never rep in case I want to wvw.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Hello, I have a problem with some details of how Guilds work today, and would be very thankful if you can help me.

The setup:

I have also created a mini-Guild that I share with 6 close friends. This Guild is really familiar, we all know and see each other in RL frequently, and the name and titles on the guild are stupid private jokes. When started, it was mostly for banking purposes, and a bit to know better the guild systems, but it quickly became a exclusive space for our closed group, were we can play and talk without worrying about the rest of the game. I, of course, also deeply love to be there.

Finally, during my solo explorations through Tyria, simply walking around an searching for beautiful spots, I’ve found a couple of really interesting and dedicated RP Guilds. I’ve stood there, at the edge of their rping just reading their dialogues and stories, and found it to be truly entertaining, some times even deeply moving. Of course, every time I’m thinking on joining them.

The problem:

My bigger guild demand 100% representation. They don’t have hard to follow rules nor ask for gold, they only ask you to greet the rest when you enter and leave, and 100% rep.

That means they notice whenever I switch to my smaller guild, and accuse me of not following the one rule. That also means I can’t join any other guild to RP.

4 of my friends in the small guild refuse to join the bigger guild were the rest of us are, so making a smaller team inside the major group is not an option. They are not interested in Guild Missions or the continuous talking in TS, and they are always pressing me to leave the big guild and dedicate my time to the familiar one. RP people are much more common in the language my bigger guild don’t speak, so creating RP inside my main guild isn’t realistic either.

The questions:

If you’ve joined a guild you should abide by their rules or leave the guild. I personally do not agree with 100% representation requirements, and I would never join a guild that had such a rule, but the fact is that is their rule and you should either adhere to it or leave the guild.

Since in HoT you can see more than one guild’s chat guilds may decide to ease up on their requirements. Or they might not. Either way if you’re going to be in the guild you need to be willing to follow the guidelines. It’s only fair.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Ok, guys.
First I want to thank you all for sharing your opinions and going deep on this topic. I’ve learned a lot just by reading these few posts.

Second I want to make clear why I stated I felt the game encourages people to stay in one guild:

I felt this because rep transform into relevant currency (Influence). This means having someone rep has a concrete, cold numeric value for guilds, and so guilds would naturally compete for that. 100% rep requirement is a logical result of this system.

Now I see there are also other aspects behind rep: advertising, ease to make activities on the fly, control the space available in the guild, number of faces on chat, etc. I can understand much better now why our guild leader consider this so important, and that is not only about influence.

Sadly, understanding it doesn’t make the system any better, because there is a huge inconsistency in its core.

The system reward guilds for having people to passively rep, allow guilds to arbitrarilly put 100% rep rules, and allow people to have multiple guilds. Problems are inevitable. One of these 3 should go.

I know the 100% rule “is up to each guild to decide”, but I see it like commercial monopoly: law watch over and discourages it, because it is nocive for the economy. If Anet were to actively combat the practice I probably would support them.

Other possibility is to completely remove the option of multiple guilds. This would be difficult because the extremely diverse playstyles the game offers. I think no guild can offer all of them, even a really big and organized one.

The last option is to stop rewarding currency for passive representation. This, I think, is the best option, because then guilds would try to get players to actually DO specific, concrete and time-limited things, instead of trying to rule over the whole time the players are connected.

Third I must mention the 100% rep is problematic not only for players, but for guilds too:
There are a lot of people that doesn’t understand what rep is. Agreeing to a 100% rep rule doesn’t make sure people actually observe it, less when they don’t know what they are doing. While I choose to investigate thoroughly before making any choice, most players I know would simply break the rule whenever they want and eat the warnings later. This means the leaders have to be constantly confronting people.

Also there is the recruiting issue: of the last 5 guys that ask me to enter the guild, only one choose to stay. The other 4 don’t like the 100& rep rule, so they left asap. While it could be true that the ones who left were “not fit” for the guild, I think the guy that stayed do so only because he doesn’t really care about rules. So which is worst?

What Im trying to say is rules too strict tend to not be respected, and that is worse in the end.

Personally, I feel my problem is bigger. I was almost prepared to judge my guild leaders as the baddies on the movie and left for good, but now I see their standing (if “monopolizing”) is totally legit.

My ideal solution was to convince the leaders to soften the rule to a 90% rep, but they stayed square in their “rules don’t change” policy (Wich they have the right to do).

So, for now, I will wait. if the incoming changes make the currency less associated with dumb time and more with specific activities, maybe they relax the rule. If they don’t, I think I will have to say goodbye.

Thank you again for your opinions, and please, keep the words rolling.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

laokoko.7403

For multi guild to work. I believe Anet should give people the ability to see guild chat in every guild they are in. Not only the one they are representing. That could fix a lot of the issue.

I was in an active guild. Maybe 50 people online at the same time. When officer stop enforcing the representing rule, the amount of activity in the guild decrease. The main problem is people not representing can’t even see the guild chat. So they can’t interact with guilds they are not representing.

If Anet gives people the ability to talk and see guild chat for every guild they are in. I believe more guild leader will open up and stop enforcing the 100% rep rule so rigidly.

DaikonSamurai.6714

im not saying non-rep is not possible, my guild was never a full rep from the get go. we only implement it later. so, again, im not saying that it is impossible to build guild with little rep enforcement, again, i even mentioned that any small/medium sized guild that enforce rep rule are sub-standard guilds. this also include small/medium sized guilds that tried to make rep rule like evil cult rules, those are sub-standard guilds as well.

however, the point is many people are very focused in linear thinking and not considering any other perspectives. then, i noticed quite a number of people trying to make rep rule as some kind of evil existence. yes, there are a lot of bad full rep guilds here and there but it isnt fair to group all those successful large guilds together with them.

now, the question is, what is a large guild? it is not just mere total numbers of people you have in your roster but rather your overall activeness of the guild that spread across multiple timezone, not just one single timezone. it is easy to create a single timezone guild, i’ve been through that but to sustain a multiple timezones guild is where things start to get complicated.

Well, about non-linear thinking why not just join multiple lax rep guilds who are active in different time zones then? You get active population throughout the day and still have the freedom to rep whoever you want. Not saying it’s better or worse than your way but assuming a single 100% rep massive guild is the only way to play with people at all hours seems like linear thinking to me.

Different strokes for different folks in this case clearly. Either way for the OP I still say if (and only if) the large guild is a fully 100% rep guild that will not tolerate helping friends build their own guilds or whatever you plan to do with your RL friends and you can’t wait to see how HoT changes things, I would leave the large guild and look for other options. Obviously if they are mostly rep and tolerate you repping your friends occasionally then there’s no problem.

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

For multi guild to work. I believe Anet should give people the ability to see guild chat in every guild they are in. Not only the one they are representing. That could fix a lot of the issue.

I was in an active guild. Maybe 50 people online at the same time. When officer stop enforcing the representing rule, the amount of activity in the guild decrease. The main problem is people not representing can’t even see the guild chat. So they can’t interact with guilds they are not representing.

If Anet gives people the ability to talk and see guild chat for every guild they are in. I believe more guild leader will open up and stop enforcing the 100% rep rule so rigidly.

This is how it will be in HoT.

This paired with the removal of influence should change many guilds 100% rule.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/rethinking-guilds/

At the bottom of the blog post:

“*In the current guild system, there’s tension between being expected to represent a guild 100% of the time so that it can gain the benefits of your representation and having the freedom to use all five of your available guild memberships to socialize with different groups of friends.* When we looked for overall improvements we could make to guilds, resolving this conflict stood out as having the greatest potentially positive impact on the social experience for guild members.

As of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, this will no longer be a problem; we’ll be introducing cross-guild chat. From your main guild panel, you’ll be able to assign which guilds you can chat to with new channels, /g1 through /g5. You can then decide which channels will be visible in your chat tabs. The existing guild chat channel, /g, will continue to chat to your currently represented guild."

A-net are actively trying to stop the 100% rule.

SkyShroud.2865

Ok, guys.
First I want to thank you all for sharing your opinions and going deep on this topic. I’ve learned a lot just by reading these few posts.

Second I want to make clear why I stated I felt the game encourages people to stay in one guild:

I felt this because rep transform into relevant currency (Influence). This means having someone rep has a concrete, cold numeric value for guilds, and so guilds would naturally compete for that. 100% rep requirement is a logical result of this system.

Now I see there are also other aspects behind rep: advertising, ease to make activities on the fly, control the space available in the guild, number of faces on chat, etc. I can understand much better now why our guild leader consider this so important, and that is not only about influence.

Sadly, understanding it doesn’t make the system any better, because there is a huge inconsistency in its core.

The system reward guilds for having people to passively rep, allow guilds to arbitrarilly put 100% rep rules, and allow people to have multiple guilds. Problems are inevitable. One of these 3 should go.

I know the 100% rule “is up to each guild to decide”, but I see it like commercial monopoly: law watch over and discourages it, because it is nocive for the economy. If Anet were to actively combat the practice I probably would support them.

Other possibility is to completely remove the option of multiple guilds. This would be difficult because the extremely diverse playstyles the game offers. I think no guild can offer all of them, even a really big and organized one.

The last option is to stop rewarding currency for passive representation. This, I think, is the best option, because then guilds would try to get players to actually DO specific, concrete and time-limited things, instead of trying to rule over the whole time the players are connected.

Third I must mention the 100% rep is problematic not only for players, but for guilds too:
There are a lot of people that doesn’t understand what rep is. Agreeing to a 100% rep rule doesn’t make sure people actually observe it, less when they don’t know what they are doing. While I choose to investigate thoroughly before making any choice, most players I know would simply break the rule whenever they want and eat the warnings later. This means the leaders have to be constantly confronting people.

Also there is the recruiting issue: of the last 5 guys that ask me to enter the guild, only one choose to stay. The other 4 don’t like the 100& rep rule, so they left asap. While it could be true that the ones who left were “not fit” for the guild, I think the guy that stayed do so only because he doesn’t really care about rules. So which is worst?

What Im trying to say is rules too strict tend to not be respected, and that is worse in the end.

Personally, I feel my problem is bigger. I was almost prepared to judge my guild leaders as the baddies on the movie and left for good, but now I see their standing (if “monopolizing”) is totally legit.

My ideal solution was to convince the leaders to soften the rule to a 90% rep, but they stayed square in their “rules don’t change” policy (Wich they have the right to do).

So, for now, I will wait. if the incoming changes make the currency less associated with dumb time and more with specific activities, maybe they relax the rule. If they don’t, I think I will have to say goodbye.

Thank you again for your opinions, and please, keep the words rolling.

technically, most large 24hr guilds i have seen are 90% rep but often call themselves 100% rep because it is troublesome to educate the gw2 newbies about things that they don’t really care about. however, the 10% rep are only for very specific type of guilds because 10% is actually quite a small amount of rep time.

i doubt you are in one of the 24hr guilds but rather those typical 500 roster guilds that use 100% rep because it is easier to manage their roster.

gw2 isnt a hc game so much people dont care about the rules as much as breaking it has zero consequence, creating drama also has near zero consequence.

in hot, anet is planning to give cross chat to guilds and ideally, this cross chat theoretically should work great if the users use them genuinely and sincerely but in reality, all the guilds must be prepared to have one annoying type of people joining their guilds which are people who join to use the guilds as form of LFG.

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Ok you have some misunderstanding.

1) Influence is a useless currency for big guild (which is usually the type of guild that ask for 100% Rep). My guild for exemple have everything unlocked for a long time and we can’t spend our influence as fast as we get it even if we don’t have a 100% Rep. Influence is a non issue in that situation.

2) Passively representing give you some influence, but only a small amount compare to influence you gain from playing together. The first 50 players to connect will give 350 influence to the guild just by connecting that day. To gain another 350 influence from connection, you will need 350 additional players to connect. Same with activities. If everybody is doing stuff on their own in the guild, you receive just a small amount. If people join up? You receive 10 times more infuence. So a guild of 50 ppl that play together but don’t alway rep will get more influence than a guild of 500 people all playing alone with 100% Repping.

I think you overthink it. It’s like the LFG. There is different guild, made by different people for different players.

There is people that don’t see the reason why to rep other guild and want to play with one big guild. But there is plenty of guild that reach the 500 limit. If they want a more active guild after that, they need to kick player that are not as active as they would like to. Don’t worry about those guild man. Those kind of guild are alway near the 500 limit. For each person that quit because of the 100% policy they will receive 1 or 2 demand to join. That’s their goal. Getting people that want the same thing together.

If you don’t want 100% rep there is PLENTY of guild that don’t have that, full of people that don’t like it either.

But why try to change the system to eliminate all form of 100% Rep? There is people that like that system and there is plenty of place for all those different type of guild.

Live and let live.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

SkyShroud.2865

Well, about non-linear thinking why not just join multiple lax rep guilds who are active in different time zones then? You get active population throughout the day and still have the freedom to rep whoever you want. Not saying it’s better or worse than your way but assuming a single 100% rep massive guild is the only way to play with people at all hours seems like linear thinking to me.

obviously, your thinking is linear as it is. yes, i agree, logically you can join 5 guilds which then combine up to 2.5k people. logically, that is one way anyone can do it. but let me ask you this, are you going to personally know all 2.5k people? is it even possible to make friends with 2.5k and sustain those relationships?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Illconceived Was Na.9781

With all the long walls of text, I have to reiterate my question:
Why does anyone care if guilds other than their own ask for (or require) 100% rep?

I don’t join such guilds, because of how I approach the game and I think some guilds cripple their own vibrancy by forcing it upon people (instead of giving people strong reasons to rep). At the same time, I have no problem seeing that it could be an important component of success for certain guilds.

DaikonSamurai.6714

obviously, your thinking is linear as it is. yes, i agree, logically you can join 5 guilds which then combine up to 2.5k people. logically, that is one way anyone can do it. but let me ask you this, are you going to personally know all 2.5k people? is it even possible to make friends with 2.5k and sustain those relationships?

I don’t see why one would have to do so with over 2k people in the first place. I never said you had to join multiple massive guilds. Just join small-med guilds. Again there’s that non-linear thinking, providing options. But if you want to interact with 2.5k people, that’s yet another reason to go with multiple guilds over one massive 500 guild. Lol

Sorry, it is a good thing that you enjoy your 100% rep guild. Clearly you have a strong bond with them, and it’s great that you’ve maintained a solid community with them. While I don’t agree about 100% rep I can at least respect that your guild is fun for the people who do agree with you.

SkyShroud.2865

u know…..

that is still linear thinking……logical….step by step….
thus i made a logical reply to u
i also already expected you replying me small-medium size guild while ignoring the word relationship.

by joining that many guilds, it get really hard to maintain that level of relationship since relationship need to have consistent interaction. i wonder how is it like to join 5 different timezone guilds. do you know? u wanna test it out?

Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

As a guild leader, I ask for a majority representation (say 85%). I know people have bank guilds and use them frequently.

I run a smaller guild of about 60 people. My goal is to form a community, a team, and everyone to become friends instead of everyone in 5 different guilds and not talking.

This will not change come HoT.