100 gold to craft light armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Nocturnal Lunacy.8563

Yeah anet this is just ridiculous. You keep saying over and over that you are taking the grind out of mmo’s but yet everything you do involves grinding esp if you need to craft some gear. and 100 gold is just the lower end depending on what traits you want.
When are you going to actually fix the game instead of continuously killing it?

Forever Against Stacked Servers
Virual [VRUS] Alien Lunatics [StFu] Nocturnal Sxaddx [Nuts] Ft. Aspenwood
That which is dead may eternally lie, but with great aeons even death may die.

Posted by: Feanor.2358

Feanor.2358

100g you earn in a few days of casual play. Are you saying they’re killing the game because they don’t hand you over immediately everything in the game, requiring zero effort from you?

Posted by: Deihnyx.6318

Deihnyx.6318

I’ve been criticizing and asking stuff from Anet in the past. It’s perfectly doable to agree on some stuff they’re doing and not on some others. Doesn’t make you a white knight. Please don’t throw the white knight argument without knowing people because it’s a really cheap argument.

100G is indeed a few days of playing the game. If you don’t play the game enough to make that gold, you absolutely don’t need ascended. Simple as that. Ascended is absolutely not hard to get these days.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

When will ppl grow out of their dreamworld? There will NEVER be an mmo with no grind. If there was one then that mmo would need immense amounts of new content comming rapidly in the game. A thing that neither anet or any other mmo company out there can do. Thefor there needs to be bariers to monitor the progress of players.

(edited by zealex.9410)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

A set of trailblazers is what, 400g lol? So yeah, lower end.

Cost on sets in general is out of control only due to leather costs (70% of the cost or something) and Anets complete refusal to fix it. No, a new “farm” doesnt help. Up droprates or lower the amount needed. Simple as that.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

“100g you earn in a few days of casual play.”
That is utter kitten.

“100G is indeed a few days of playing the game.”
Perhaps, but not with casual play.

zealex.9410

Idk about that fractals or dungeons or doing the dailies or doing the dailies on the lw3 maps doesnt really take more than 2 hours per day, even less maybe.

zealex.9410

If you actually struggle making anything other than asc i dont think this forum can help you.

Posted by: ArcanistSeven.8720

ArcanistSeven.8720

As a veteran player who has been around for 4 years I have quite few make gold fast schemes. 100g is nothing but i would never spend that much on a gear set i would rather get armor from reward tracks, HoT maps, dungeons, WvW and raids. For that price you can make yourself an Ascended weapon, save money then get ascended accessories from fractals, then do raids (or get lucky in fractals) and get the ascended versions of what you want. Living world season 3 maps can also get you HoT accessory stats.

(edited by ArcanistSeven.8720)

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

That is utter kitten.

I second that.
If it were a few days of casual play, I’d be a GW2 millionaire instead of being short of my first 1k.
Apart from that, the price for hardened leather IS outright ridiculous when at the same time, you can buy a heap of Ori or a whole metric tonne of gossamer, for the same price (exaggeration for the sake of picturesque-ness). But that’s another discussion led elsewhere and between the rich lords of GW2 sitting on their hoards of hardened leather and the casual players that finally want to gear out one of their chars.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

zealex.9410

dont bring the leather into discussion… we face dark times…

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you don’t have exotic armor and it will take you a while to get 100 gold to craft what you want, check out temple armor as something to use during the time you’re getting the gold. Or dungeon armor, you can buy immediately if you have the tokens. Or buy cheap level 78 exotics.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Plautze.6290

What have I done…?!

Just a flesh wound shows us some good ways to get geared without beggaring ourselves. Tried that on my last 80, playing in lvl76-lvl78 exotics, didn’t notice any difference, YMMV.

(edited by Plautze.6290)

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

To be honest,
100g is a ridiculus price for an exotic.
Unless you mean Ascended, then it’s about right.

…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

Full World vs World armor is dirt cheap if you have Badges of Honor (950) from doing WvW. A bit over 5 Golds without runes.

Feanor.2358

That is utter kitten.

Is it? Doing dailies gives you 2g for 10-15 mins, if that much.
Doing a Silverwastes meta or one of the HoT map metas can take 1-2h and give you 30-50 champ bags. Take a conservative estimation of 15s per bag, that’s 4.5-7.5g.

Not to mention you could ride the champ trains in CS and FGS. Last night I went to FGS and spent ~1 hr there. I assure you, it doesn’t get any more casual than that. I ended up with 60+ chests and there’s also the map rewards (t6 mats, charged lodestones and giant eyes).

Not to mention you can go in Bitterfrost to harvest ~50 winterberries in ~20 mins. Every winterberry can be consumed for ~20 unbound magic, which can be converted to (conservative estimation) ~25c, meaning around ~5s per berry, ~2.5g in total.

I fully understand it is easier to complain, but it doesn’t make said complaints valid.

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

Doing a Silverwastes meta or one of the HoT map metas can take 1-2h and give you 30-50 champ bags. Take a conservative estimation of 15s per bag, that’s 4.5-7.5g.

Not to mention you could ride the champ trains in CS and FGS. Last night I went to FGS and spent ~1 hr there. I assure you, it doesn’t get any more casual than that. I ended up with 60+ chests and there’s also the map rewards (t6 mats, charged lodestones and giant eyes).

Not to mention you can go in Bitterfrost to harvest ~50 winterberries in ~20 mins. Every winterberry can be consumed for ~20 unbound magic, which can be converted to (conservative estimation) ~25c, meaning around ~5s per berry, ~2.5g in total.

I fully understand it is easier to complain, but it doesn’t make said complaints valid.

I would not call doing all that casual play, you must actually make an effort to do everything you said. And you must have at least one character who visited Bitterfrost.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

According to this current thread, it means you get a piece of armor every 2.5 or 3 days.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Best-farms-for-gold/first#post6573446

Doesn’t sound ridiculous to me.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Plautze.6290

Doing the same over and over again doesn’t exactly sound like casual play to me, more like a grind. But then again, “casual” seems to mean different things to different people. To me, it means having 1 to 1.5 hours time each day, in which I want to do what I want instead of working on a checklist to grind out my gold. When a game (which is supposed to be fun) becomes a chore, something is utterly wrong.

So, all your math aside, you seem to have another idea of “casual” as others have. Let’s leave it at that.

Just a flesh wound.3589

What have I done…?!

Just a flesh wound shows us some good ways to get geared without beggaring ourselves. Tried that on my last 80, playing in lvl76-lvl78 exotics, didn’t notice any difference, YMMV.

Someone in a previous thread about the price of exotics suggested ‘not-quite-level-80’ gear as a cheap alternative for a new char. (Was that you?). I recently leveled a new guardian to 80 and tried 78 level gear. I use nourishments to add a few points and for general PvE I don’t notice a difference and it was very cheap, less than a gold apiece.

ANet may give it to you.

Feanor.2358

I would not call doing all that casual play, you must actually make an effort to do everything you said. And you must have at least one character who visited Bitterfrost.

You don’t need all of that. Doing 2-3 of these per day I’d call casual and it can fit in less than 2 hr. And it would get you 100g in ~10 days.

Having Bitterfrost accessible is as simple as having played the story in Ep3. Not exactly hardcore either.

Plautze.6290

What have I done…?!

Someone in a previous thread about the price of exotics suggested ‘not-quite-level-80’ gear as a cheap alternative for a new char. (Was that you?). I recently leveled a new guardian to 80 and tried 78 level gear. I use nourishments to add a few points and for general PvE I don’t notice a difference and it was very cheap, less than a gold apiece.

Nope, wasn’t me tried it the first time myself on my mesmer.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

That is utter kitten.

Yes, when people say that I know what they mean. Doing things like berry runs in 5 minutes without pausing to help people with the mobs. Then cycling through a dozen characters in rapid succession and saying it only took an hour to get about 1000 berries. Not my idea of ‘casual’ playing at all, that is pretty much min/maxing.

I have not priced it recently but have you looked for armor on the trading post. Another way, assuming you are level 70+ and have karma you have no other use for, is to buy it with karma in orr.

Posted by: Vyrulisse.1246

Vyrulisse.1246

To be honest,
100g is a ridiculus price for an exotic.
Unless you mean Ascended, then it’s about right.

More than that if you want a stat that’s actually used in current builds for the most part.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Message customer support,
I’m sure they can send you some free gear. Be sure to ask for a legendary or two while you are at it.

Posted by: Hevoskuuri.3891

Hevoskuuri.3891

I’ve been criticizing and asking stuff from Anet in the past. It’s perfectly doable to agree on some stuff they’re doing and not on some others. Doesn’t make you a white knight. Please don’t throw the white knight argument without knowing people because it’s a really cheap argument.

100G is indeed a few days of playing the game. If you don’t play the game enough to make that gold, you absolutely don’t need ascended. Simple as that. Ascended is absolutely not hard to get these days.

“Ascended is absolutely not hard to get these days.”

It’s not insanely hard, but definitely not easy either.

The only ways to actually get a full asc set are;

-Play a ton of gamemode X (Raids, Fractals, PvP)
-Level a crafting profession to 500 and craft it (it’s either expensive or very slow, depending on if you buy or craft the materials)
-Be lucky and get drops (my average droprate so far is one ascended armorpiece/weapon per ~200 hours of playtime).

If you exclusively do WvW or open world PvE, your chances of getting an ascended set are based solely on RNG and luck, so it’s not easy for everyone. And before anyone says you don’t need Ascended in those game modes, you don’t really need it in any gamemode at all. That’s a poor argument, since everything is, after all, doable in exotics.

Faaris.8013

And before anyone says you don’t need Ascended in those game modes, you don’t really need it in any gamemode at all. That’s a poor argument, since everything is, after all, doable in exotics.

Well, you definitely need it in higher Tier Fractals for the Agony Resistance slots, other than that, exotic is fine.

Levelling a craft is fairly cheap and fast, can be done within the 2h duration of a crafting booster and maybe 25 to 30 gold, if you are low on iron and hard wood. Then comes the expensive and tiring part: crafting the ascended item. With the restriction that some materials can only be crafted once per day and the huge amount of raw materials you need, that’s something that requires either patience or gold. If you have some materials and 100 gold, you can go from zero to ascended weapon within 3 days (6 days for 2h weapons). The bottle neck are the time gated items, otherwise you would be done within 2h 30m. If you have some more gold, you can simply buy the time gated items from the trading post and be done with it that quickly. Then spend another 10 gold for good signets, and maybe another 18 if you need Agony Resistance.

I really don’t think that’s too hard. I played my character almost 500 hours and crafted two ascended weapons, and have ascended trinkets. Remember people, this is a long term game…

I find it actually too easy to max crafting.

I’m not talking about ascended armor, haven’t done that yet

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Doing the same over and over again doesn’t exactly sound like casual play to me, more like a grind. But then again, “casual” seems to mean different things to different people. To me, it means having 1 to 1.5 hours time each day, in which I want to do what I want instead of working on a checklist to grind out my gold. When a game (which is supposed to be fun) becomes a chore, something is utterly wrong.

So, all your math aside, you seem to have another idea of “casual” as others have. Let’s leave it at that.

The good news is that casual players don’t need 100g worth of light armor, so the cost to make it doesn’t really matter.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Feanor.2358

“Ascended is absolutely not hard to get these days.”

It’s not insanely hard, but definitely not easy either.

Let me say it this way – it’s not easy to get it fast. Or rather, it’s not cheap, since you can power-level your crafting profession and craft the items.

But if you’re not in a hurry – and after all, why would you be? – it’s fairly easy. You can start of with trinkets, which are trivial to get from the new maps. Again, if you’re in a hurry it would feel like a lot of grind and quite a chore, but if you take it easy you don’t need to do anything more than dailies on your maps of choice. Not even that on Bitterfrost, though I can’t imagine a reason not to jump some trees for the unbound magic and tag an event for the daily torch in the ice.

Once you get the trinkets you can proceed with fractals, and while they certainly have much lower drop rate now, they still do drop ascended. Plus, you can buy ascended from vendor at a somewhat lower price. Or, if you don’t like fractals, there are other means across all game modes. Once again, as long as you’re not rushing it, it doesn’t feel hard or expensive.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

That is utter kitten.

So, your idea of casual play is to go from 1 farm to another, to another, to another?

That’s not what casual players do.

Faaris.8013

So, your idea of casual play is to go from 1 farm to another, to another, to another?

I think the idea is that farming can be done like watering your flowers or taking your dog for a walk. You love your flowers and your dog, but there are chores connected with it. In a game, when I have a goal, I accept the chores. You must make sure they are not burning you out though, and that depends on the individual level of acceptance. For me, spending 5 to 10 minutes on the daily achievement (and it really takes not longer than that to check a vista, take a few swings with your sickle and use a portal in a jumping puzzle) is something I can easily do as a chore daily without burning out. My level of burn out resistance is even higher, I can collect berries and the other things as long as it takes to get all my trinkets. Now, since I got them, I stopped farming those things completely. The fun came with reaching my goal, not with running from bush to bush.

Deihnyx.6318

That is utter kitten.

But Ascended is not for a casual player, therefore I do not take casual players into account.
Because if the top tiers armors and weapons could be made by players playing 30 minutes a day, it’d be seriously disappointing.

For casual there are exotics, and it fits all casual player needs. You can do story and dungeons with it. You can also do low tier fractals. Anything that requires ascended (high tier fractal or raids) are not for casuals anyway, so what’s the big deal?

Just a flesh wound.3589

That is utter kitten.

Depends on the casual player, or the definition of casual.

If someone wants to craft 100 gold worth of armor, he’s probably not a casual player anyway and for his non casual playing he can do the necessary farming to get 100 gold.

ANet may give it to you.

OriOri.8724

I agree with you, sort of. 100g for an armor set really isn’t that much considering the high price of leather right now. I mean hell that’s not even enough to craft 2 sets of exotic armor. Yes, I know that there are better ways of acquiring exotics, but this is mainly meant to show that 100g worth of crafting armor doesn’t get you far anymore in GW2. Wanting 2 sets of exotic armor doesn’t exactly make you a non-casual player. Yet that would require more than 100g to craft right now.

And I also disagree that casual players can’t want ascended, or that wanting ascended makes them not a casual player. This is a very fashion oriented game, if you want ascended skins then you want them, and the only way to acquire them is to pay to craft them.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I agree with you, sort of. 100g for an armor set really isn’t that much considering the high price of leather right now. I mean hell that’s not even enough to craft 2 sets of exotic armor. Yes, I know that there are better ways of acquiring exotics, but this is mainly meant to show that 100g worth of crafting armor doesn’t get you far anymore in GW2. Wanting 2 sets of exotic armor doesn’t exactly make you a non-casual player. Yet that would require more than 100g to craft right now.

And I also disagree that casual players can’t want ascended, or that wanting ascended makes them not a casual player. This is a very fashion oriented game, if you want ascended skins then you want them, and the only way to acquire them is to pay to craft them.

If someone wants ascended, the highest tier armor in the game, then it’s going to cost. It doesn’t matter if he is casual or only wants it for the skin. He’s going to have to do what is necessary, no matter how “uncasual” the necessary tasks are. I don’t think it’s reasonable for a casual player to ask for the highest tier to be easily obtained without farming or playing the needed content. The game needs both short and long term goals and ascended falls long term category. Even 100 gold exotic armor falls into long, or at least not very short, term goals. There’s cheap exotics for short term goal of gearing up.

So if someone wants 100 gold armor then they can do what is necessary to get the gold, even uncasual farming. If not, temple, dungeon and level 78 armor is cheap and easy to get.

ANet may give it to you.

Deihnyx.6318

Well, I hope they never want the legendary skin then.
If a casual wants ascended that’s fine, but they must put the amount of time for it. Just like any game really. In solo games you can use cheats/trainers if you want everything immediately, but for any multiplayer game a high tier skin will take some dedication. Guild Wars 2 is not even the worst. Just check Counter Strike / Team Fortress and the ridiculous amount of MONEY required to buy some skins.

Just a flesh wound.3589

As a further comment on but this is mainly meant to show that 100g worth of crafting armor doesn’t get you far anymore in GW2.

It was shortly after launch and I had my first level 80 that I wanted a set of exotic armor for. I checked the prices and it was 30 gold!! If you think back in time this was before the 2 gold dailies or the farms that give you gold or fractals with their easy gold. This was gold you had to get by farming or doing events for a couple silver each or running dungeons, or similar stuff. 30 gold back then was a lot of gold that took time and effort to get.

So, maybe 100 gold doesn’t get you very far right now but the gearing up with crafted exotics, and later ascended, has never been cheap. If you think different maybe you have nostalgia goggles on because I remember farming diligently back then to get enough gold to gear up each of my chars with level 80 gear.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

The OP never states what kind of armor, but Ascended is NOT casual armor and is ‘earned’ by playing the game and working toward it. Casual players may not have learned the most efficient way to get there so it might take a lot longer.

OriOri.8724

At this point I think we do need a clarification on what OP means, since 100g is more than a single exotic set, and yet only a portion of an ascended set. So what on earth is he crafting to require 100g for a single set?

@Just a flesh wound – Sure, exotic armor was more expensive in terms of time to acquire the gold back then. I have to believe you because I didn’t play then. But back then it was also supposed to be the endgame gear, there was no ascended to go for. So perhaps if we are comparing now to launch, it would be better to compare exotics now to rare gear back at launch? I don’t know if they are comparable or not, but to me it seems that might be the way to go.

Either way, my initial comment in this thread was to reply to someone who clearly doesn’t understand what casual play is, I’d rather not get too caught up in discussions about what is and isn’t too expensive for an armor set.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Well since T6 insignia for a set is around 70 gold, 30 gold for 6 pieces might be a thing, certainly for medium.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Well since T6 insignia for a set is around 70 gold, 30 gold for 6 pieces might be a thing, certainly for medium.

With rough numbers, berserkers cloth is 60g for insignia leather, 10g for ectos, another 13g for blood and finally around 6g more for the gear pieces (ignoring some of the cheaper stuff).

So of course it’s a thing. I really dont get why people get hung up on the number. It’s almost 100g to craft the simplest of exotic armor, yes. If people just want the TL;DR version of gear math, berserkers insignia cost 17g on the TP. That’s 102 gold. Crafting or bidding is that little 10g difference.

(edited by Dawdler.8521)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

With rough numbers, berserkers cloth is 60g for insignia leather, 10g for ectos, another 13g for blood and finally around 6g more for the gear pieces (ignoring some of the cheaper stuff).

So of course it’s a thing. I really dont get why people get hung up on the number. It’s almost 100g to craft the simplest of exotic armor, yes.

Wasn’t going to bother researching hard numbers, just back of the envelop ballpark sanity check which seemed possible. Wasn’t doubting it like some.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

For those not paying attention, the new trend is to set up a turret engineer at the base of the leather farm and go AFK.
As a result, the cost of hardened leather squares has dropped over 27silver in the past week, and is still going down

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

What have I done…?!

That would be me.

This was back when I didn’t even have access to guild missions because I was never on at the right times so I used exotic earrings and rare rings because I thought exotic rings were terrible value. (they still are).

That was for like, my first 3 characters. The ones after that and before easy tomes simply salvaged linen/wool/cotton as it was the thing at that point and gearing was never an issue ever since so I either bought exotic named armor or badge gear.

There was a lot of karma armor too at the time, but I think it’s gotten a bit dated, so I think they may want to consider the new HoT for karma exotics.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Deihnyx.6318

100g you earn in a few days of casual play. Are you saying they’re killing the game because they don’t hand you over immediately everything in the game, requiring zero effort from you?

That is absolute unfiltered bullcrap, you have as accurate a definition of “casual play” as the Trump administration has of “middle class”. And you’re far from the only one, I’ve seen people on these forums make the same claim, only to find out they either play the trading post, exclusively spend their playtime farming, or play as much as or exceeding eight hours a day.

For your reference and others:

1. Casual does not mean playing the game like a full time job, heck not even like a part time job, 45 minutes to an hour and a half is reasonable amount of time for the average person to have to spend on a single game every day.

2. Casual does not mean crunching numbers and doing research on what is the most profitable content, and it especially doesn’t mean endlessly repeating that content, or any content for that matter. Casual players play a variety of content and rarely even know what is most profitable to play.

3. Casual does not mean playing the game economy as if you’re a freaking day-trader, in fact primarily playing the economy barely qualifies you as a player at all. You’re more akin to a gold seller.

One extreme to another…
You do need only a few days to get 100G. That is if you play content that actually justifies getting a top tier armor. As a fractal player (the only content that actually requires ascended) you do make 100G pretty quickly.
If you don’t do fractal, if you don’t do farming, and basically if you refuse to learn the game mechanics to make money, yes it’s going to take you longer…. as it should. It’s a top tier armor, there’s no reason to hand it over to you if you’re not going to dedicate some time into it.

Casual should not be used as a wildcard for everything. Casual players totally have their place in this game, more than many mmos. But that’s it, they can do story, they can explore, they can do dungeons, they can do fractals. That’s most of the content. Please let more dedicated players have their own stuff as well.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Certainly … if someone thinks 100G is some unsurmountable amount to earn, they should just find a different game. Don’t worry though … when they realize that GW2 is actually pretty reasonable for earning stuff, their tune will change. If not, they made the right decision. These people should not be attacked for thinking 100G is too much; they should be encouraged to go out and gain some broader experience with other games to have a good base for what real grind is.

Posted by: Kalocin.5982

Kalocin.5982

I think there’s a bit of a disconnect between veterans and newcomers. One thing that people forget is that ANet originally intended for max level gear to be incredibly easy to get since it wasn’t supposed to be the focus. As a casual player myself, I don’t mind ascended gear being stupidly easy to get, I do think it’s kind of silly to put exotics behind a massive cost.

Another thing people here forget is that at a certain point it’s actually more profitable to just make ascended gear and swap the stats to something better (Ie Viper stats).

Most people just want to be able to play their class, but for most people who play condition, they’ll want that viper gear which kind of screws them over.

For those talking about grinds in other games, you generally do not need to grind to switch builds, you grind for more power to your gear, but you’re usually not too disabled from standard lower level gear.

While 100g isn’t necessarily hard for people to get, the big thing is that it ‘feels’ daunting to newer players. People tend to forget they also need to get their bags, runes, sigils etc on top of these things on top of raising crafting levels up. Simply put, it’s not a tall mountain to climb, but if you have another mountain beside it that’s easier people will do that instead (other games).

When I think of something like FFXIV, I can get a decent set of gear in a day or two without too much of a grind. If I’m geared decently, I can max out to what could be considered exotic quality in a couple of days. It’s recyclable sure, but the content and means to do so is still interesting.

My question is: So what if gear (exotics) is easy to get? That’s not content. That’s getting the right tools so you can play the content. This is especially important if you sell your game on the idea you don’t have to grind for gear.

Plautze.6290

On the one hand, it is actually nice to have a long-term goal. For me, that’s ascended armor for my main. Atm I have all the deldrimor I need but lack (ofc) damast and elonian leather, a lot of those. But that’s perfectly fine as I understand that Asc is top tier gear and should not be handed over to me. I don’t even expect to have it before next year taking my casual play into account. But that is totally okay, as it is top tier gear.

Exotics, on the other hand… you see where this is going, right? Maybe back in those days, exotic was the top tier gear and therefore hard to get, but nowadays, lets be frank, it is the absolute base requirement. Sure, lvl80 rare is nice as well. But in the back of my mind, there is always that exotics-ghost telling me that there is better gear. And this gear, in the case of an engi for example, needs a certain amount of leather which will cost me that much that I refuse to spend that amount of gold on a single character when I still have 6 more to level up and gear out.

Sure, for all those vets who have spent thousands of hours into the game and have thousands of gold, that’s not much. But if you are like me, a casual player, who after around 18 months of casual play managed to get his hands on ~500g and also has other things in mind than spending one fifth of that slowly-earned money on one set of armor… that amount just stings, especially when you can buy lvl78 exotics for around 6g/set.

But I understand both sides. If I would literally bath in gold, 100g wouldn’t be a matter for me. But sadly, I don’t and thus feel like “certain” materials are overpriced. But happily, the lvl78 exotics is a good workaround to start with.

Edit: Writing too much and not checking it.

(edited by Plautze.6290)

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

That is utter kitten.

So for 3 1/2 hours over 3 days (which is what a few usually means) you would make approx 63 gold (I applied your math for the champ bags to the champ bags from frostgorge sound) and some t6 mats (which vary depending on week the powerful blood, charged lodestone, and giant eyes week is unusually high in profit and only once every eight weeks which is why ppl save their pact supply map rewards for 8 weeks for it) which is a far cry from 100g. So yeah I guess it’s easier to complain than be real when you yourself say a few days of casual play doesn’t even net 100g.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

The point that I’m missing in this whole discussion: what 100g armour does a new, casual player need that can’t be replaced by equally viable armour that is available much cheaper?

If it’s berserker exotics or any of the other core craftable stats, you can buy named dropped armour of those stats from the trading post for much less, get them with karma from the Orr temples, from dungeon runs via tokens, through badges of honour and a comparatively small amount of gold from wvw vendors, through a variety of pvp and wvw reward tracks, and probably from other sources I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Sure, there are craftable stats that are harder to get, namely the HoT stat sets, but they are meant to be for the min-maxers among the players that need a goal to work towards, and not something that is critical to have access to right away as a new, casual player. The difference between these sets and those available easily really doesn’t make or break your gameplay.

I’m as casual as they come, to the point where I refuse to farm. I have goals in this game, actually quite a lot of them, but if I find I don’t enjoy what it takes to reach those goals, then I’ll gladly put those goals aside for the time being and do something else. Still I find that resources, no matter if currency or materials, comes plenty in all parts of the game and piles up without the need to farm any of it.