1000 Gold Giveaway: need advice

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Black Dragon.3784

Black Dragon.3784

Currently I am making 1000G purely to give away. I need ideas as to how this money can be distributed. I am currently thinking of splitting it up to 100g so there are 10 winners, not just 1 and I was thinking of listing 10 different themes each week or so on the forums and from there, with 3 judges choose the winners. For example, fire theme: players will post pictures of their character and the person that looks the most fiery wins. Has anyone got any better way or suggestions as to how I should distribute the1000G? Maybe giving the 1000g all at once is the best option?

(edited by Black Dragon.3784)

Posted by: smilango.5960

smilango.5960

Give 1000g to the first person to respond to this thread?

Seriously though, why not have a screenshot competition for one prize? I’d suggest breaking it up rather than giving it all away together – spread the wealth

(edited by smilango.5960)

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

Or the second! /15char :-D

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Zoidberg.8094

Zoidberg.8094

Or, you know. You could give it to the third person….

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

I’d have a screenshot competition and personally, not split it up at all. Or if you really want to, split it into 4×250g chunks

Posted by: Enaretos.8079

Enaretos.8079

I personally never giveaway pure gold as I find it to be very bad.

I giveaway 50-100g every week on my twitch, but I d it in the form of nmed exotics with cool skins, useful runs/sigils, some armour or weapons with specifid stats, variou minis, etc…

Maybe you could take a look at what this 1000g could get you then do a giveaway stream or contest to distribute it

Snow Crows member since January 2014
My Twitch

Black Dragon.3784

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming, I better get on and continue making the cash

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

There’s tons of suggestions:

1. Fashion Contest with ranks. Have a grand prize of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Each stage gets a small prize of 5g if they make it to the next stage. Also honorary mentions, and alternate prizes (most funny, most beautiful, etc)

2. Have people write a short paragraph of why someone else deserves the gold

3. King of the Hill PvP tournament.

4. Art contest, have people draw their favorite NPC

5. Hide and Seek with announcing weekly games and taxi in people who are interested in joining.

(If you do the fashion contest, I’ll volunteer as a judge. )

Black Dragon.3784

There’s tons of suggestions:

1. Fashion Contest with ranks. Have a grand prize of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. Each stage gets a small prize of 5g if they make it to the next stage. Also honorary mentions, and alternate prizes (most funny, most beautiful, etc)

3. King of the Hill PvP tournament.

4. Art contest, have people draw their favorite NPC

5. Hide and Seek with announcing weekly games and taxi in people who are interested in joining.

(If you do the fashion contest, I’ll volunteer as a judge. )

Thanks for the ideas and yea sure you can be a judge, I was thinking of giving 50g to the judges for not participating.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

Thanks for the ideas and yea sure you can be a judge, I was thinking of giving 50g to the judges for not participating.

o.o I’ll gladly be a judge either way. ^^

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

GL with your plans, hope you don’t get a mailbox overflowing with gimmie requests.

Black Dragon.3784

GL with your plans, hope you don’t get a mailbox overflowing with gimmie requests.

I was actually thinking of 1000g giveaway part 2 after this (2000g) but depends how well this goes and how fast I make it

Posted by: smilango.5960

smilango.5960

Arikyali.5804

Really like the sound of this. You could do racial prizes and then an overall as well?

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Make 4 competitions instead of 10, but with 3 winners each time.
1st place – 125g
2nd place – 75g
3rd place – 50g

Or something similar.
This way we have 4 events that matter with 3 winners each.
Prizes are still pretty high and the whole thing will be more enjoyable in general.

I don’t have too many ideas about the contest itself. Maybe something like “the most eerie screenshot”?

Posted by: Esmenth.9413

Esmenth.9413

Ooooh this sounds fun I will be a judge also! Unless you already have enough :P But I don’t care either way I also like competitions heh..

Posted by: Exo.2965

Exo.2965

I was actually thinking of 1000g giveaway part 2 after this (2000g) but depends how well this goes and how fast I make it

1000 gold … would be just enough to complete my Bolt craft heh …

Black Dragon.3784

Ooooh this sounds fun I will be a judge also! Unless you already have enough :P But I don’t care either way I also like competitions heh..

Hehe okay I’ll have another 2 judges (friends) so looks like I have 4 now, I will keep you updated with when I have completed making my 1000g (no more judges needed)

Posted by: yorick.1305

yorick.1305

Give it to new players, who have just started.

Posted by: Lyrianne.9503

Lyrianne.9503

Dividing would be a better idea I think, you would make more people happy =)
Screenshot contests are always a good option as everyone can participate. Art contests are also really cool – you could even ask people to draw one of your characters.
Either way, if you do make a contest, where will you announce it? I would really like to participate hehe, never had more than 15 gold x)

Posted by: Cyrgo.3721

Cyrgo.3721

Here are my screenshot competition suggestions:

• Take a screenshot somewhere in Tyria, post it (minimap erased from pic), and the first three persons to find the place and post a similar screencap get a prize.
  • Selfies with a guild bounty target that is not in combat. The first users to post get a prize.
  • Selfies in an original location or a hard to reach place. This one needs judges to vote for best screencaps.
  • Name a monster (Veteran risen turtle) every day/week and the first screencaps get a prize.

Regards

Black Dragon.3784

Dividing would be a better idea I think, you would make more people happy =)
Screenshot contests are always a good option as everyone can participate. Art contests are also really cool – you could even ask people to draw one of your characters.
Either way, if you do make a contest, where will you announce it? I would really like to participate hehe, never had more than 15 gold x)

I will be posting my progress on the 1000g, so I do not know when I will reach it. However if you keep reading the forums, you should know as I will probably make another post but the official one, I’ll name it something like "1000g Give Away contest
All about how fast I make the 1000g ^^

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

This was going to be my suggestion. It’s great when rewards go to people who aren’t seeking them, but do good just for the sake of it.

Have people advocate for someone else in-game that makes the game (or the real world) a better place for others.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

Here are my screenshot competition suggestions:

• Take a screenshot somewhere in Tyria, post it (minimap erased from pic), and the first three persons to find the place and post a similar screencap get a prize.
  • Selfies with a guild bounty target that is not in combat. The first users to post get a prize.
  • Selfies in an original location or a hard to reach place. This one needs judges to vote for best screencaps.
  • Name a monster (Veteran risen turtle) every day/week and the first screencaps get a prize.

Regards

While some of these I think have a good idea in them…I personally hate “First three to post x” wins. Some people have slow connections and with that the sheer amount of loading screens disqualifies some people. I’d rather a contest be based on merit or creativity rather than “I have the fastest connection and can type the fastest.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I think the best way how the OP should give out Money is to let People write their personal Top 3 wishes, what they would do with the money, if they would get money in the range of say 50-100 G.

Then those people should describe how the money would help them out and why they think of themself, that they deserve the money, so that the OP gets also a little insight of the persons personality to see, if someone is just plain begging, or if someone could need serious help and can advertise his/herself good enough for why he/she could need the help.

The OP then should have op with the decision, if he wants to help rather 10 people in a more major way or 20 People in a more minor way in regard of distributign out 50 or 100 G per Person to ensure, that the Give Away also doesn’t take way too long, because it would be stressy simply if the money gets split up way too much into small sums because of wanting to help too many people at the same time like playing Santa Clause.

and most important thign about the giveaway I think is, once the Op has made up his decision of whom he wants to help and how much he wants to give away per person, the give away shouldn’t be made so public.
Its just better to just whisper the lucky people of your choice and send them then a mail with your give away.
Could become just only otherwise a big backlash of beggings and whispers from people, if things like this get too public and that even a long time after the give away may be already over because of alot of people might seeign this thread perhaps first weeks to months later and still think, theres something to get …

Just a simple advise for the OP If you want to thank me for that advise that could save you alot of stress, Id naturally appreciate also a little goodie very much as it could in return save me some time for my collection achievement hunting for those exotic weapons lol ^^

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Currently I am making 1000G purely to give away. I need ideas as to how this money can be distributed. I am currently thinking of splitting it up to 100g so there are 10 winners, not just 1 and I was thinking of listing 10 different themes each week or so on the forums and from there, with 3 judges choose the winners. For example, fire theme: players will post pictures of their character and the person that looks the most fiery wins. Has anyone got any better way or suggestions as to how I should distribute the1000G? Maybe giving the 1000g all at once is the best option?

To get the largest audience I would suggest teaming up with Matt Visual, Wooden Potatoes, Auroa Peachy, and Richie Procopio for some kind of contest.

Maybe do it from now Halloween to Wintersday. Maybe a Halloween costume contest for 5 winners and something else for Wintersday.

Matt Visual: https://www.youtube.com/user/MattVisual
Wooden Potatoes: https://www.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes
Aurora Peachy: https://www.youtube.com/user/AuroraPeachy
Richie Procopio (Bog Otter): https://www.youtube.com/user/bogotter

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

You know. I recieved a PM in game a couple of days ago, this person was trying to get a group together for some sort of compitition. I believe it invloved jumping puzzles and events in the area. The prize was 10g. I declined, but why not something like that? Maybe tie it in with a guild puzzle, the fastest time wins or something…

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Have to ask yourself how much time you want to spend planning and having fun with this giveaway. If you give 1000g in one shot you’re going to make one person very happy and probably fund their legendary. If you give away 100g to 10 people, you just made 10 people happy. Do you want to run one event or maybe four or ten?

As for the contest, if this is just for the forums then photo contests are the only way to go. As others mentioned, selfies with npcs, scenery, most unique/interesting locations, weather/sky shots can get interesting in the game, photobomb, interesting poses/fights etc.

Good luck and have fun with this.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: Lady Elvea.2847

Lady Elvea.2847

Or, you know. You could give it to the third person….

Or split it evenly across the people who post in this thread… >.>

In all seriousness though, maybe a community giveaway event? Be like the Mad King: stand in LA, crack bad jokes, and send out gifts.

Assuming you won’t get blocked for spamming of course. -.-*

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Do an art, design, or concept contest.

Posted by: Jaggedrain.6923

Jaggedrain.6923

Thanks for the ideas and yea sure you can be a judge

Can I be a judge too? I am AWESOME at judging people!

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

If you do a fashion segment, I would be happy to be a judge, assuming I’m available at the time.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

A guildie of mine would be tricky and get somewhere hard to get to in LA (often requiring a leap or teleport gun), then announce in map chat that he is above such-and-such poi; first person to stand next to him gets 50g. places like on top of the bank, or on the cliffs east of canal ward wp.
He would usually make new friends doing this, as people would try to get to him, but couldn’t, then he’d help them out.

Posted by: Rikimaru.7890

Rikimaru.7890

My advice is do what I did – stop playing this game.
You are clearly bored if you are creating for yourself such goals.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

I would give all 1,000 gold to one person, lol. It’s such an absurdly huge amount that it would be almost mind-boggling to the receiver, and that makes it that much more fun. :P

Posted by: flyinpiranha.2580

flyinpiranha.2580

Tough question. I know I’m always partial to the “what I’d do with the gold” type contests.

Maybe do a “Screenshot vs Real Life” type contest. You take a screenshot in the game and then take a picture of something that resembles it. See how close people could get. Obviously some disqualifications like if they just took a picture of a flower up close and found one similar … would need some rules laid out.

I would definitely do 100g to 10 people though, spread the wealth!

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Random draw using the same programming Anet uses for RNG. Which means no one will get it and you keep it, or the newest person to join will get all 10 awards.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Random draw using the same programming Anet uses for RNG. Which means no one will get it and you keep it, or the newest person to join will get all 10 awards.

Haha, most people won’t realize how true that statement is.

A few ideas I’ve had in the past for things, would involve getting players to sign up for events, and potentially pay for their spot. (maybe 5g per person). This money can then be used at the end of the event to hold a lotto for all participants. That way, you have an event winner and a lotto winner for each event Anyway:

-Tonic Race: Players use a tonic and run from point A to point B. You would need referees following/ along the route. Quaggans are the most fun
-Costume Brawl Tournament: A number of players sign up and compete 2 at a time.
-Hide and Seek
-Musical Chairs – Obviously we don’t have chairs, but get a friend to play an instrument. When the music stops, participants must /sit
-Various fashion contests
-Jumping puzzle race
-Screenshot contest – select a theme and allow forum-goers to vote on the shot that best portrays it