1000 gems per cape

1000 gems per cape

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

How much do you want capes in the game?
Will you spend 1000 gems for a Cape skin (backpiece)?

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

They dont want to deal with the multitude of cliping issues that cape would have mate so dont expect to see it at all

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Speaking only for myself, I always hid my cape in GW, and resented that I had to display it in PvP. Omm (obviously) v.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I really never displayed my cape in all those years in Guild Wars, either.

So, no, I would not pay 1000 Gems. Not even 10 Gems.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

I’m afraid I was never big on capes in GW1. I much prefer my wings.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I’m yet to meet a player in-game that wants capes, yet weirdly it’s a regular topic on these forums!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I always hid my cape in Guild Wars and never liked that I couldn’t hide them in PVP.
I’ll pay 0 gems for capes, to me they are a waste of resources to make.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Capes don’t look good in games. Do not want.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

You’d have to pay me to wear a cape.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I rarely wore my cape in Guild Wars 1 and I doubt that I would put aside the backpiece I’ve chosen for my chars to wear an advertisement on my back. So, zero gems.

Edit: the guild tag your char shows is a better advertisement for your guild. It shows up at range and makes wearing capes redundant.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Worr.2186

Worr.2186

I’ve always hid the back piece since day one. So, no I wouldn’t pay for one.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

No. I don’t like capes.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Li Xiaolu.4823

Li Xiaolu.4823

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

1000 gems to hide all capes? deal!

im bad at sarcasm

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’d pay money to let us pick old single piece outfit items they retired from the game and mix-n-match to have it stamped as an outfit?

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I, too, kept my cape hidden in Guild Wars 1, and since I never PvP, it was hidden 100% of the time.

I really don’t understand this cape fettish people have. ~shrug~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

No interest in having a cape

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t mind capes but I don’t get the obsession with them on this forum and some for other games.

Depending on what they look like I might use them on one character, but I wouldn’t want to give up all the other cool back items completely and I wouldn’t pay more than we do for normal back items.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Aguna.3497

Aguna.3497

Yes idm paying 1000 gems for it. Would really love to see cloaks in this game. Why? Its a fantasy game.. look at some fantasy movies/games, LOTR characters wear cloaks while traveling and for me it will look bad kitten while fighting and see my character spinning with it.

For the clippings, well there’s already a lot of clippings in this game so idm getting a few more.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

would pay 700 gems for a cape/glider pack. Think of the supercharr! Though first I’d want to be able to dye it as a backpack skin.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I can see a cape working as a glider, fluttering in the wind. Dyeable too, that way.

As a backpack-like thing? No way.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: EremiteAngel.9765

EremiteAngel.9765

I can see a cape working as a glider, fluttering in the wind. Dyeable too, that way.

you mean like superman’s cape?

Scourge Demo Weekend Roaming Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsby6rYkxS8

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

I really can’t understand the want for capes, considering most of that desire comes from gw1. Those capes were awful (I disabled in every mode I could).

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

you mean like superman’s cape?

More like Batmans…. Superman flies.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I also think it may be an animation issue if everyone is wearing capes while zerging or boss fights. The engine has enough issues in crowds already.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: lokh.2695

lokh.2695

I would never wear a cape, why replace 4 visible skins with some piece of cloth…also, capes are dangerous…

At least it’s not a mount thread.

Attachments:

+ : Keyrings, Underwater-Combat, Build Templates
- : Mounts, ViP-Player systems, HoT-like Xpacs
Have a nice day.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Kovyn Alander.2138

Kovyn Alander.2138

We already have a serious problem with ANET not being able to stray away from buttcapes and trenchcoats, not to mention being mostly stuck in the renaissance era of “creative” armors for most cloth and leather wearers, and you suggest something that would only ADD to the problem!?

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

While I would like to see capes also but I’d suggest giving up on it because there are too many cape haters. They’d rather wear those wings that block everyone’s visibility plus clip everything and everyone around them because it makes them look like a peakitten strutting around in mating season. I dislike that they pair back pack wing skins with glider skins. I refuse to buy any that are paired like that.

To me any wings that aren’t in use gliding should be tucked back cape style. Expanded wings should come with a negative cost on movement while running because of increased wind resistance.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

1000 gems to hide all capes? deal!

1000 gems to hade a cape. Meaning you have to pay it to hide each individual’s cape

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

I want gold trim cape from GW1

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

While I would like to see capes also but I’d suggest giving up on it because there are too many cape haters. They’d rather wear those wings that block everyone’s visibility plus clip everything and everyone around them because it makes them look like a peakitten strutting around in mating season. I dislike that they pair back pack wing skins with glider skins. I refuse to buy any that are paired like that.

To me any wings that aren’t in use gliding should be tucked back cape style. Expanded wings should come with a negative cost on movement while running because of increased wind resistance.

Wings and feathers are specifically built to be aerodynamic so I doubt there’s much wind resistance, either running or flying.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Aerodynamic going which way? He’s right they shouldn’t be open when walking and running logically, but it’s what looks the best. I still think it would be nice for a toggle to disable backpacks and make weapons look default, but what I do on my computer seems to be a big problem to other people whenever it’s brought up.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Wings and feathers are specifically built to be aerodynamic so I doubt there’s much wind resistance, either running or flying.

Wrong. Running with wings open inhibits aerodynamics. There’s a reason birds close their wings during flight when they are not gliding or flapping ; they’re open to create resistance. The only wings we have that flap are Crystalline and do not contain feathers.

A bird’s wingtip feathers must twist in one direction during the upstroke of the wings and in the other direction during the down stroke to keep the local wind striking the wing at an appropriate angle to generate lift and thrust. The aerodynamics are improved and material saved if the local flow forces twist the feather by just the right amount. We do not flap our wings.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

Wrong. Running with wings open inhibits aerodynamics. There’s a reason birds close their wings during flight when they are not gliding or flapping ; they’re open to create resistance. The only wings we have that flap are Crystalline and do not contain feathers.

A bird’s wingtip feathers must twist in one direction during the upstroke of the wings and in the other direction during the down stroke to keep the local wind striking the wing at an appropriate angle to generate lift and thrust. The aerodynamics are improved and material saved if the local flow forces twist the feather by just the right amount. We do not flap our wings.

Or they might close them when running because if they don’t they keep lifting into the air. That’s one theory of how birds evolved flight, by running with wings out they ran faster because lift made them lighter and if they flapped also they lifted more.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/origin-of-bird-flight-exp/

So in that case it’s not drag that stops birds now from holding wings out when running but increased difficulty in staying on the ground if they do so because modern bird wings are so aerodynamic.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Chuck.8196

Or they might close them when running because if they don’t they keep lifting into the air.

That’s right. Because they create resistance. You say they don’t inhibit movement but go to argue why birds tuck them in becuase of just that reason. Ooooh-kaaay.

let’s not forget your arguing a time when birds weighed hundreds of kilo’s thousands of years ago before hollow bones supported by internal struts,before a bony beak rather than a jaw and teeth; before tail feathers instead of a tail.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

(edited by Chuck.8196)

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or they might close them when running because if they don’t they keep lifting into the air.

That’s right. Because they create resistance. You say they don’t inhibit movement but go to argue why birds tuck them in becuase of just that reason. Ooooh-kaaay.

No, resistance and lift are not the same.

You do realize don’t you that the larger flighted birds run with their wings open in order to generate enough lift to fly? Small birds running with their wings open would keep on leaving the ground with each breeze, so they close their wings to run.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Tekoneiric.6817

Wings server a double function. Yes they can be aerodynamic when air is flowing over the leading edge but they can also serve as a aero brake when air is hitting the underside flat on. They act more like a parachute then because of the increased drag. All the wings I see people wear in the game while on the ground are opened up with the underside facing forward which would slow them down.

1000 gems per cape

Chuck.8196

You do realize don’t you that the larger flighted birds run with their wings open in order to generate enough lift to fly? Small birds running with their wings open would keep on leaving the ground with each breeze, so they close their wings to run.

The two most common factors that have a direct effect upon the amount of air resistance are the speed of the object and the cross-sectional area of the object. Ergo, both increased speeds and cross-sectional areas will result in an increased amount of air resistance.

Weight is the force of gravity. It acts in a downward direction—toward the center of the Earth.
Lift is the force that acts at a right angle to the direction of motion through the air. Lift is created by differences in air pressure.
Thrust is the force that propels a flying machine in the direction of motion. Engines produce thrust.
Drag is the force that acts opposite to the direction of motion. Drag is caused by friction and differences in air pressure.

Thus forth, the more resistance created through thrust and gravity the more resistance is applied.

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

The two most common factors that have a direct effect upon the amount of air resistance are the speed of the object and the cross-sectional area of the object. Ergo, both increased speeds and cross-sectional areas will result in an increased amount of air resistance.

Weight is the force of gravity. It acts in a downward direction—toward the center of the Earth.
Lift is the force that acts at a right angle to the direction of motion through the air. Lift is created by differences in air pressure.
Thrust is the force that propels a flying machine in the direction of motion. Engines produce thrust.
Drag is the force that acts opposite to the direction of motion. Drag is caused by friction and differences in air pressure.

Thus forth, the more resistance created through thrust and gravity the more resistance is applied.

You do also realize that wings are almost completely feathers, (notoriously light) plus they have light hollow bones. Wings simply don’t weigh much. Gravity isn’t going to be a major consideration of a thin, flat, extremely light, aerodynamically shaped item with how it responds to airflow across its surface.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Tekoneiric.6817

Birds control the angle of attack of the wing against the wind by twisting the wing. By putting the leading edge towards the wind and allowing it most of the air to flow over the edge and under the wing they get lift. Changing it to have most of the air flow over the edge and over the wing the wind holds them to the ground. When they open the bottom side of the wing to the wind it slows them down.

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

Birds control the angle of attack of the wing against the wind by twisting the wing. By putting the leading edge towards the wind and allowing it most of the air to flow over the edge and under the wing they get lift. Changing it to have most of the air flow over the edge and over the wing the wind holds them to the ground. When they open the bottom side of the wing to the wind it slows them down.

Yes, true. But the argument is not how birds fine tune airflow but whether or not having wings out will generate lift if you run forward or if they will slow you down more than having them closed. Since wings are extremely light, thin and aerodynamicaly shaped then running with wings out will generate lift, not resistance.

Just think of someone running with a hang glider. he runs, and he lifts off the ground. If there is a breeze then he will fly.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Chuck.8196

You do also realize that wings are almost completely feathers, (notoriously light) plus they have light hollow bones. Wings simply don’t weigh much. Gravity isn’t going to be a major consideration of a thin, flat, extremely light, aerodynamically shaped item with how it responds to airflow across its surface.

You do realize that WINGS control feathers not the other way around. Wings don’t weigh much; that’s right. It’s the large surface area that allows them to maintain enough pressure and resistance too keep aloft. Gravity is a major consideration in everything. If it not for gravity wings wouldn’t be “thin, flat, extremely light, aerodynamically shaped item”.

Just think of someone running with a hang glider. he runs, and he lifts off the ground. If there is a breeze then he will fly.

Is that person able to run at full speed or does the glider slow them down? Also, wings in GW2 are vertical when on the ground not horizontal as a glider is.

(edited by Chuck.8196)

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

You do realize that WINGS control feathers not the other way around. Wings don’t weigh much; that’s right. It’s the large surface area that allows them to maintain enough pressure and resistance too keep aloft. Gravity is a major consideration in everything. If it not for gravity wings wouldn’t be “thin, flat, extremely light, aerodynamically shaped item”.

Try running with a thin, light, aerodynamic structure such as a hang glider. You’ll lift off the ground even though you yourself are heavy and not built for flight.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Chuck.8196

Try running with a thin, light, aerodynamic structure such as a hang glider. You’ll lift off the ground even though you yourself are heavy and not built for flight.

Now try running with that same glider VERTICAL on your back, such as the wings in GW2. What happens?!?! You’re gonna take off straight up? No. You’re going to go much slower as you run forward and nothing will happen.

1000 gems per cape

Just a flesh wound.3589

Now try running with that same glider VERTICAL on your back, such as the wings in GW2. What happens?!?! You’re gonna take off straight up? No. You’re going to go much slower as you run forward and nothing will happen.

Ok. Lol. I’ll give you that.

ANet may give it to you.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Alga.6498

Alga.6498

I was barely using capes in GW aswell. I wasn’t a fan of it..
I dont think Anet will bring back capes, afterall the game is 5 years old already.

|GW1 2008~|GW2 BETA player|Separatist|Nightmare Court|Ebonhawke|Ascalon|White Mantle|71 characters|

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I liked my guild cape in GW1 but primarily wore it during guild events (and PvP of course). Can’t honestly say how much I would pay for a cape here, but certainly more than I would pay for wings, back pieces, and/or gliders.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

All the scientists have come out to play I see. The Crystalline Dragon Wings are more tucked when they’re on the back, I appreciate the amount of attention went into the animation for those (especially when shifting from backpack to glider).

1000 gems per cape

Tekoneiric.6817

Yes, true. But the argument is not how birds fine tune airflow but whether or not having wings out will generate lift if you run forward or if they will slow you down more than having them closed. Since wings are extremely light, thin and aerodynamicaly shaped then running with wings out will generate lift, not resistance.

Again that’s angle of attack. A hang glider wing is edge onto the wind with the wing curved down just a bit in the back to get lift. A wing flat onto the wind generates no lift, just drag. All the backpack wings I see are flat side facing forward which generates no lift, just drag.

1000 gems per cape

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Aerodynamic when gliding.
The flight has two steps.
Use the flat of the wing to push air away.
Use the sharp of the wing to glide through the air.

The wings as worn mostly press flat against the wind. As a result experiencing wind resistance is to be expected, unless we bend over so the wings move with the sharp line forward