118 migration videos submitted.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Anet was willing to give away 5000 free accounts just for submitting a video of yourself taking the GW2 oath.
Why didn’t you people submit a video to get a free account for a friend, family member or even for yourself as a storage?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Because taking the time to make a video of myself taking some dorky video game oath isn’t worth $50.00.

The Burninator

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

It may be they just uploaded 118 videos to the playlist since it now says there are 5,000 winners.

Along with the 5,000 contest winners who received free copies of the Guild Wars 2 Heroic Edition, new citizens are flocking to Tyria from all over! Join the movement!

http://migration.guildwars2.com/en/

Posted by: Xcom.1926

Xcom.1926

Anet was willing to give away 5000 free accounts just for submitting a video of yourself taking the GW2 oath.
Why didn’t you people submit a video to get a free account for a friend, family member or even for yourself as a storage?

Did people expect them to get 5,000? I don’t think anyone did. They are lucky to get as much as 118. ANet probably over estimated the interest in this campaign. It was basically asking people to embarrass themselves publicly. Kudos to the people that did it though.

Karizee.8076

There were 5,000 winners so there must have been at least that many entries.

Xcom.1926

Huh? That was just the default message because they probably expected 5,000. You can do a quick Youtube search to see how many videos there are. This isn’t a private competition per the rules it is public.

By submitting a Video, participant hereby grants permission for the Video to be posted on Sponsors’ YouTube Channel, website and social media pages and to otherwise be used as set forth below.

(edited by Xcom.1926)

Karizee.8076

Huh? That was just the default message because they probably expected 5,000. You can do a quick Youtube search to see how many videos there are. This isn’t a private competition per the rules it is public.

By submitting a Video, participant hereby grants permission for the Video to be posted on Sponsors’ YouTube Channel, website and social media pages and to otherwise be used as set forth below.

100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. How would you find them if they didn’t title them GW2?

Fernling.1729

I tried searching youtube for several variations of GW2 oath(migration/oath/etc) and didn’t see anything other than the 118 videos and a sims guy.
I think they already had the page written and decided to just go with it.
What’s the chances of 97%+ of the uploaded videos not to have anything about gw2 migration or oath in it?

Xcom.1926

100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. How would you find them if they didn’t title them GW2?

lol

Every single video on the playlist has “GW2” “Guild Wars 2” “Oath” or a combination of those words. So you are saying the rest of the 4,800 videos didn’t have those words. And since they didn’t Arenanet didn’t upload them on their webpage? Is that you argument?

Xcom.1926

I tried searching youtube for several variations of GW2 oath(migration/oath/etc) and didn’t see anything other than the 118 videos and a sims guy.
I think they already had the page written and decided to just go with it.
What’s the chances of 97%+ of the uploaded videos not to have anything about gw2 migration or oath in it?

The way the contest works is that you have to submit a link of your video to Arenanet, and as long as it is within the rules (30 secs and in a public place) they put you on the playlist.

From the playlist they will pick the winners from panel of judges. But since there was less videos than expected, I am guessing all 118 will win. I am sure a few more videos will trickle in.

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Because I’ve already paid for family accounts (beta), already have a 2nd account and have stopped recommending this game to friends.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Because for many people, it’s not worth publicly embarrassing yourself for the equivalent of $30 (the current sale price).

Xcom.1926

Because for many people, it’s not worth publicly embarrassing yourself for the equivalent of $30 (the current sale price).

Exactly, which is why it was bad marketing.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

All my gamer friends tried GW2, and left it months ago. The last holdout was in July, I think. I don’t know anyone else who might want a copy, and if I did, I wouldn’t be able to recommend the game in good conscience, even for free.

Also, given how frequently and overwhelmingly critical I’ve been of their current production strategy, I really doubt I’d win, even if there weren’t enough entries to use all 5,000 prizes (which I am certain was actually the case, regardless of what their marketing people say).

And finally, if I put up a video of myself pledging allegiance to Tyria or whatever, I’d probably wind up getting added to an NSA watchlist and having my phone tapped.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Why would they add 5000 videos to a playlist, when 99% of them wont be watched? Making a playlist of 118 videos is 117 more then I was expecting.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

118 seems like a perfectly normal number to upload out of 5000+ video’s right? I mean lets not go 50 or 100, we need a nice normal number like 118 when there’s over 5000 entries….

/sarcasm

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Not seeing my submission.

Fernling.1729

Not seeing my submission.

Haha, that’s because you didn’t read the rules! :P

This is yours, right?
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rIFen1IyTg8

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

I didn’t enter because:
a) It was silly
b) What would I do with a second acc?

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

My friends play WoW, they only like the exploration from GW2, but they will never enter on this for a free account.

Posted by: Lord of Rings.5371

Lord of Rings.5371

People are not posting videos because the promotion gives the impression that Guild Wars 2 will be a free to play game soon. And people don’t want be dishonest for $40. Not everyone thinks like Guild Wars 2 developers.

Fire Water Air
FA

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

What is the point of this? They seem to be marketing to people who already have the game…to make a stupid video…to get a second copy of the game? I’m not sure how these “migration” videos will reach or convince anyone who does not already own Gw2. If the contest rewarded gems, rather than a second account, they may have seen more participation.

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I made a really really stupid video and they won’t even consider it.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Just for the record. Is the contest already over then?

Anyway, they where warned about it in this topic: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Great-MMO-Migration/page/5#post3292096

At least this may show them that it might be wise to listen more often to the feedback in stead of closing the topic.

Posted by: XantyLeonhart.1328

XantyLeonhart.1328

My friend participated in the contest and he haven’t yet receibed anything at all. I can guarantee that the 118 videos are the whole number of participants, taking on account my friend uploaded his video on December 2nd at late night (pacific time) and yet the video was added to the playlist some hours later. My friend followed the rules exactly as they said(he didn’t use copyrighted music, not even from gw2, didn’t swear at all, didn’t mention other games explicitely and recorded on a public place with people passing by) yet he didn’t receive any confirmation that he received the prize or anything from arenanet. His video is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dp-OFaPXk&index=68&list=PLDCvogxNKN3lJwvEM41S9nifT0fCtH2U4

*Yes, he’s spanish.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Because a copy of GW2 isn’t worth the amount of time to make the video in all honesty. It has nothing to do with anything other than time invested vs reward. Now if they gave exclusive skins in game or something, sure. But a copy of a game I already have is worth nothing.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

What is the point of this? They seem to be marketing to people who already have the game…to make a stupid video…to get a second copy of the game? I’m not sure how these “migration” videos will reach or convince anyone who does not already own Gw2. If the contest rewarded gems, rather than a second account, they may have seen more participation.

If you give a free copy to a friend before Christmas, he might buy tons of gems.

Posted by: Guarzog Zogger.5763

Guarzog Zogger.5763

Does anyone know if the accounts have already been awarded? I got my girlfriend and 2 other friends to enter, but they received no email with an account. (They are on the youtube playlist).
The accounts were going to be given to 5000 people so if they made a decent vídeo and only 118 vídeos were uploaded they would probably win an account? I say this because they were going to tell the winners on december 10 and I think that they might have not won.

XantyLeonhart.1328

Does anyone know if the accounts have already been awarded? I got my girlfriend and 2 other friends to enter, but they received no email with an account. (They are on the youtube playlist).
The accounts were going to be given to 5000 people so if they made a decent vídeo and only 118 vídeos were uploaded they would probably win an account? I say this because they were going to tell the winners on december 10 and I think that they might have not won.

The same has happened to my friend. Read my last reply. I think they’re having trouble with the new accounts.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Because I’m not getting paid for advertising their product.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

The people who want the game will just buy it, it’s really not that expensive, making a video where you embarrass yourself really isn’t worth it.

Posted by: Guarzog Zogger.5763

Guarzog Zogger.5763

The same has happened to my friend. Read my last reply. I think they’re having trouble with the new accounts.

I’m spanish aswell, so is my girlfriend! My two other friends aren’t but yes, they havent received anyting and I hope ArenaNet havent forgotten and its just that thay are taking longer than the 10th of December.

Posted by: MrDmajor.7084

MrDmajor.7084

Guild Wars 2 is like the hot chick with the smoking body, who is sort of an idiot and maybe crazy… but she wants you to propose and to meet your parents.

The answer is NO! Booty calls only.

ArenaNet does NOT play Guild Wars 2. This can’t be.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

“The Migration Campaign Playlist is a selection of entries from the video contest”

A selection, not all of them. ;x

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

XantyLeonhart.1328

“The Migration Campaign Playlist is a selection of entries from the video contest”

A selection, not all of them. ;x

I can guarantee you it IS all of them. Just take a look at it…
A lot of the entries just directly break the rules, making fun of games like WoW and mentioning them explicitely (which was against the rules), recording in the backyard or in an empty place (the rules said it had to be a concurrent public place). Yet they are all in the list. My firend’s video was uploaded and submitted on Dec 2nd at night and yet still, it was added to the list a few hours later.

The only videos that weren’t added, were the submisions that ABSURDLY broke the rules: (recording yourself on your bed inside your room, posting a random picture and having a synthetic voice say the oath e.t.c)

P.S:
THIS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Tdc0sIUcM&list=PLDCvogxNKN3lJwvEM41S9nifT0fCtH2U4

Is one of the videos that were added to that so-called “selection” lol

EDIT: LOL!!! Some of the videos are duplicated! Did they do it to make a filler?? XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MSKaRscy2g&list=PLDCvogxNKN3lJwvEM41S9nifT0fCtH2U4&index=1

(edited by XantyLeonhart.1328)

Posted by: BatsLoveCaves.5768

BatsLoveCaves.5768

Because I refuse to be a puppet of marketing.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

Because it wasn’t available in my country…

XantyLeonhart.1328

I’m spanish aswell, so is my girlfriend! My two other friends aren’t but yes, they havent received anyting and I hope ArenaNet havent forgotten and its just that thay are taking longer than the 10th of December.

I opened a post in the spanish general forum, and they answered today, me and my friend havejust received the mails. You should check your mail again to see if you have received it as well. If not, I would suggest you to open a thread for everyone and posting the mail accounts they used for the contest there, explaining their case.(that’s what worked for me at least)

EDIT: I’ve already told them about your case though

Karizee.8076

ArenaNet’s compilation video of their favorites:

Want to see more vids from the Battery Chicken!

Posted by: Nabuko Darayon.9645

Nabuko Darayon.9645

People post every day embarrassing videos of themselves so I don’t see why this would be a problem, or even a discussion. Gratz to all the people.
You can spend those 30-50$ get wasted and someone else record that video for you :P it happens on a daily basis anyway

~ King Arian and Isabella of [EG] ~

Posted by: Chaotic Storm.2815

Chaotic Storm.2815

oh that’s easy. I have NO intention of pleading an oath to this game. ArenaNet is not worthy of my loyality

#ELEtism

Posted by: Voodoo.2107

Voodoo.2107

oh that’s easy. I have NO intention of pleading an oath to this game. ArenaNet is not worthy of my loyality

And why can’t you do that? Sure I’m singing sweet tunes of joy cause I got a free account, but even with that what’s wrong in submitting a video of Oath? They aren’t asking for a signed copy sent to their mail or something.

AernaNet isn’t, okay. Which Game hosting company is? Besides, it only got 200+ submissions cause of it’s lack of advertisement. I came to know about this event cause I regularly visit these forums, was planning to buy it sooner or later at this year’s end. Instead just invested all my monicoinz in LoL skins cause of the mixed reviews I read everywhere on the net.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

People post every day embarrassing videos of themselves so I don’t see why this would be a problem, or even a discussion. Gratz to all the people.
You can spend those 30-50$ get wasted and someone else record that video for you :P it happens on a daily basis anyway

“People” and “those who are interested in GW2” are a vast population difference. There are tons of “people” so of course you see tons of videos where people embarrass themselves.

In any case… even defenders of this video are taking the view that making such a video is embarrassing — that’s not a good thing.

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

Because the whole thing was silly. Not like “ha ha” silly. Like the kind of silly where you’re in chess club because you like to play chess, but slink really low in your chair at graduation because the chess president/valedictorian names you all as “loyal followers” and “pledges allegiance to chess 4-EVAR!!!”

You know that feel?

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Also, because it wasn’t very well advertised.

I barely heard of it at all.

And what I heard… well… I wish I hadn’t.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: masterJP.5048

masterJP.5048

Because it wasn’t available in my country…

same reason

Lordy Green , THE Elementalist
Angela Sky , THE Guardian
Orochimarei , THE Necromancer

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

ArenaNet’s compilation video of their favorites:

Want to see more vids from the Battery Chicken!

Is this one of the lost episodes from “The Office”?

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

I convinced a bunch of my friends to buy GW2 based on my good experience I made with GW1 being 100% sure GW2 will be a true successor.

Well, all of my friends left GW2 (including those who joined me from GW1) and I wouldn’t dare to get anyone into GW2…even if its a free account.

Now, when I am asked by collegues or friends if they should get GW2 I simply disagree, based on my disappointment.

So far Anet hasn’t done anything to change that and giving out free accounts probably speaks for itself….

Apart from the fact that I find that oath-thingy pretty ridicolous but it seems to blend in GW2’s theme perfectly.

This won’t end well…

(edited by Dafomen.7892)

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

I thought this whole thing was funny (if not close to a disaster, and not for those uploading embarrassing videos). I just wonder how many will actually stick with the game. Kudos for them for being able to find out the easy way without having to pay.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

tell me now: did anyone make their video using Machinima?
(an example of Machinima is the ‘Make Love, not Warcraft’ episode of Southpark – every time they are in-game)
it would be royally awesome to have your previous character in another game make the oath