14 Queen Jennahs - really ANET?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Plains of Ashes.5941

Plains of Ashes.5941

So i went out and got some extra characters early on, and now the birthdays will be coming up soon.

and what do my characters get? 1 Queen Jennah mini, and 13 deleted redundant minis.

wheres the uniqueness, wheres the awesomeness of getting lucky that a toon got something special for their birthday, such as my main in GW1 who still carries that awesome mini he got for his 3rd birthday to this very day. wow you really sucked the fun out of this one ANET.

Since they are all equally worthless (being that none can be traded), why not let players for their birthday pick any mini that exists in the game. or give them random chance at any mini at least. (and yes i mean any)

And if you are paranoid about people who bought extra toon slots getting more gifts than those who never bought a slot, than only give them one choice per account. Sure that would be unfun as skritt, but it is no different than what you got now. right now its even worse because as soon as I get one I have to purposefully delete it.

Birthdays in GW used to be fun. Now i dont even want to open my other bday mails and spend time deleting them. If you guys dont like my idea above, how about adding a “Auto-delete redundant birthday mail” in the options panel?

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

The entire gift was pointless and lame IMO.

Yeah yeah, be grateful, was still a dissapointment, but TBH this game is so full of so many little dissapointments that I’m used to it by now, so w/e.

Signed, a jaded and now apathetic GW2 player.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Be grateful……….Its like receiving a piece of poo for your birthday.Whaddaya do with it?You throw it down da toilet or the bin or use it as fertilizers.

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

Or you could get nothing.

Just be grateful for what you did get. Most MMORPGs don’t do anything special, if at all, for the anniversaries.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

I prefer getting nothing……..as the gift was nothing in the first place or just to infuriate players…………

Knote.2904

Just be grateful for what you did get. Most MMORPGs don’t do anything special, if at all, for the anniversaries.

I would rather get nothing.

Being teased with…. OOOH YOU GET A PRESENT! Just to be let down compared to not even getting the idea of a getting a present is awful.

Hype followed by a huge dissapointment is something this game is absolutely great at doing.

The only thing this present gave was a double booster who’s only good use is to be consumed while doing more boring zerg/grind content.

Posted by: The Eternal Grace.3157

The Eternal Grace.3157

I made a similar post here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/It-s-My-Party-and-I-ll-Cry-if-I-Want-To/first#post2744761

As for those of you who say “be grateful”, you probably didn’t play GW1. It isn’t the fact that their birthday gifts suck and we’re complaining they gave us something. It’s a fact that they used to provide fun birthday presents to show they appreciated you as a customer and a thank you for being loyal to them each year. They took a large step backwards and it’s a major slap in the face to dedicated Guild Wars fans, such as myself or the OP.

Whether you like it or not, nothing in this game is free…I paid for the game, and everything they provide me is included in that cost. Even this birthday gift is something I paid for, so if I’m disappointed in it I have the right as a consumer to tell ANet they’ve (yet again) disappointed a loyal fan (and customer) in GW2.

(edited by The Eternal Grace.3157)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Just one of the ways Guild Wars has stopped being Guild Wars.

Changing such a long-running custom so drastically…

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

The Eternal Grace.3157

OMG… 14 Queen Jennahs – really OP? REALLY? i think maybe someone just make a post about you and how you have 14 different characters and is complaining about the free 1 year gifts. ::golf clap::

And he paid for each of those 14 characters. If ANet appreciated his business like they did in gw1, the presents would have been a lot less disappointing and a step forward instead of backwards.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I yet to get any thing meh. All in time i guess is it a bad thing to get more free loot?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Knote.2904

its very bad to get free stuff, people complain when it doesn’t meet their standards, then QQ and talk about GW2 being dead to them and moving on to another game. lulz.

In that case, give me your address and I’ll go find a dead rat and mail it to you, as a gift.

It’s free.

Jski.6180

its very bad to get free stuff, people complain when it doesn’t meet their standards, then QQ and talk about GW2 being dead to them and moving on to another game. lulz.

In that case, give me your address and I’ll go find a dead rat and mail it to you, as a gift.

It’s free.

So are you saying that Anet giving you free things will kill you? Because if the dead rat did not have any problems with it then yes it would be ok.

Posted by: Coldin.2840

Coldin.2840

So I guess the Birthday Booster which gives you a 100% boost to everything for 24 hours wasn’t exciting?

Instead of all those Queen Jennas, you’d rather have a random selection of the current minis? Did you really only play those 14 characters with the hopes of getting 14 different minis? Did all the content over the last year become invalid because the birthday gift was not good enough?

I’m willing to bet part of the reason they gave players just 1 kind of mini is because people coming from GW1 anticipated getting birthday gifts. In GW1 it was a surprise, so players really couldn’t take advantage of it. That wouldn’t be true in GW2, so everyone gets the same gift. Maybe they could have done more, but I think what they gave out was still pretty nice.

Coldin – Thief – Sanctum of Rall

The Eternal Grace.3157

OMG… 14 Queen Jennahs – really OP? REALLY? i think maybe someone just make a post about you and how you have 14 different characters and is complaining about the free 1 year gifts. ::golf clap::

And he paid for each of those 14 characters. If ANet appreciated his business like they did in gw1, the presents would have been a lot less disappointing and a step forward instead of backwards.

lol thats stupid, actually anet does appreciate business, thats why every so often they send out gifts to player who spend $$ at the gem shop. kitten s. his fault he needed alllll those slots for whatever reason. he decided to purchase it, deal with it, anet isnt going to think you are special and reward you for such purchase.

You obviously weren’t a GW1 player. The point is, in GW1, they did. Every character got it’s own birthday present with a random mini. They’re step backwards shows their lack of appreciation now compared to before.

Knote.2904

It’s ironic really, people argue against anything that improves the game, which just makes it worse than it could be.

I remember the same people fighting me on making Champ Loot better on release, makes my head hurt.

lol thats stupid, actually anet does appreciate business, thats why every so often they send out gifts to player who spend $$ at the gem shop. kitten s. his fault he needed alllll those slots for whatever reason. he decided to purchase it, deal with it, anet isnt going to think you are special and reward you for such purchase.

You obviously weren’t a GW1 player. The point is, in GW1, they did. Every character got it’s own birthday present with a random mini. They’re step backwards shows their lack of appreciation now compared to before.

That’s because Anet doesn’t have the same passion for their game anymore, and most of the passionate people that used to be there aren’t there anymore, it’s really sad.

Instead of :

“Oh what would be a really fun and nice gift our players would really enjoy for the anniversary?!?!?!”

It’s :

“Ugh, anniversary is coming up, players will probably expect something. You there, think of something to give them as a gift and ship it out”

Thus we get the half- kittened stuff they put out.

(edited by Moderator)

Jski.6180

That fact that this game has so many players that just bend over and take it is why things improve at a snails pace… =/

More like because so many ppl get bent out of shape because of small things like this is what keeping things at a snails pace and why they will never tell use any thing of real worth because they do not want ppl to rages.
“I got a free thing i did not like it so i will say why give me a free thing at all” way of thinking is the WORST thing for having improvements in a game.
Should they be spending there time making sure every person is happy with a once a year small side gift from them? Should they maybe spending time to make sure things work well before that? You chose time is finite.

The Eternal Grace.3157

It’s not free since we all had to pay for the game…

Doggie.3184

The dead and moving thing is a bit drastic, but it’s hard to imagine anyone who was/is a GW1 fan not being horribly disappointed by them ruining a very long-running tradition. They kept other ‘holiday’ things like Wintersday, Halloween, Dragon “Festival,” April Fools, and so on~ why throw this one out? A lot of people were expecting them to keep this trend, so why shouldn’t they be disappointed?

Knote.2904

That fact that this game has so many players that just bend over and take it is why things improve at a snails pace… =/

More like because so many ppl get bent out of shape because of small things like this is what keeping things at a snails pace and why they will never tell use any thing of real worth because they do not want ppl to rages.
“I got a free thing i did not like it so i will say why give me a free thing at all” way of thinking is the WORST thing for having improvements in a game.
Should they be spending there time making sure every person is happy with a once a year small side gift from them? Should they maybe spending time to make sure things work well before that? You chose time is finite.

You know Anet has this complex that nearly everything they do is pristine right? You can see it anytime they talk about anything in game.

Players like you just fuel the fire.

And ALL the good feedback is just ignored as “noise” haters are making.

Lol and not telling people what’s coming and hyping it up just to let everyone down AGAIN is what will make people rage, moreso than warning them ahead of time…. But like I said, Anet is good at that.

Jski.6180

Wait wait now that is just some of the most backwards thinking i seen to date. You PAY for the game that is the box game just the first bit with out any updates or add ons that it. Every thing else to date all the update live events items they send out IS free.

You know Anet has this complex that nearly everything they do is pristine right? You can see it anytime they talk about anything in game.

Players like you just fuel the fire.

And ALL the good feedback is just ignored as “noise” haters are making.

This is not feedback this is the Discussion you should be posting this in the suggestion. “A better reward for bday.”
The fuel as you put it IS the players who make baseless argument with out trying to back it up. I have given a set of reason why its ok to get a gift from some one what you may not comply like and the cost of saying its a bad gift.

(edited by Jski.6180)

Knote.2904

Wait wait now that is just some of the most backwards thinking i seen to date. You PAY for the game that is the box game just the first bit with out any updates or add ons that it. Every thing else to date all the update live events items they send out IS free.

Which is payed for by players paying more after they bought the game, and people farming gold.

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

You guys need to kill your displeasure topics with fire, because I think there has been more than enough complaints about this. I’m sure anet got the message, and quite frankly I feel the same amount of frustration on receiving the birthday gift and reading the complaints to be on par with each other.

Jski.6180

Which is payed for by players paying more after they bought the game, and people farming gold.

NOP ppl pay to get exclusive items in the game it helps the game out but your money is being used for the exclusive items not the game it self.

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

GW1 players will understand, non-GW1 players wont. Simple as that. Being GW1 player myself I’m also dissapointed in this change.

Knote.2904

You guys need to kill your displeasure topics with fire, because I think there has been more than enough complaints about this. I’m sure anet got the message, and quite frankly I feel the same amount of frustration on receiving the birthday gift and reading the complaints to be on par with each other.

Anet will never get the message.

They’ll get feedback and misread it as something else and instead of fixing it will just run away from the problem and make things worse.

NOP ppl pay to get exclusive items in the game it helps the game out but your money is being used for the exclusive items not the game it self.

That’s not how it works.

So you’re saying that the “Free” things like this gift are done by employees that are off the clock and not being payed to make it?

That’s like saying those PBS specials that ask for $400 for a book, is using that $400 to make said books.

There are people that will dump money into the game because they love it and want to support Anet even if they don’t care that much about the stuff their buying.

(edited by Knote.2904)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I won’t really complain because it’s better than getting nothing but.. I must say I’m completely baffled.

They had such a good system in gw1 and replace it with giving every character the same mini.. I just.. wow..

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Jski.6180

They’ll get feedback and misread it as something else and instead of fixing it will just run away from the problem and make things worse.

The only thing most ppl will get from threads like this is how some ppl think “GW1 is soo much better then GW2” over all painfully backwards thinking. You cant get over the fact of the old idea “you can never go back.”

Knote.2904

The only thing most ppl will get from threads like this is how some ppl think “GW1 is soo much better then GW2” over all painfully backwards thinking. You cant get over the fact of the old idea “you can never go back.”

Um…. it’s not about turning GW2 into GW1, it’s about taking a small THING from GW1 that was far superior to the relative THING in GW2.

In this case the anniversary gifts.

The Eternal Grace.3157

Um…. it’s not about turning GW2 into GW1, it’s about taking a small THING from GW1 that was far superior to the relative THING in GW2.

Ever seen the movie Christmas Vacation? The family is upset because the dad’s company cut his Christmas bonus even though they have done it for him every year he worked for them. This is how I feel with the birthday gift. They had a much better and fun system in GW1, and it made me feel important every year as a loyal customer. Now, they took a step backwards and it makes me feel like they cut it short. Disappointing.

Coldin.2840

You did get an Anniversary gift. It just wasn’t the anniversary gift you wanted. Don’t look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Why do you deserve more for having more characters?

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

The Eternal Grace.3157

This isn’t the point. The point is everyone gets the same mini and it’s boring and very untraditional of ANet.

That point aside, if I put in more time and money making more characters, leveling and gearing them, I think each one deserves something.

Your point is like asking why a doctor makes more money than a fast food bathroom cleaner…they both work 40hrs/week, so why does the doctor make more?

ArchonWing.9480

This isn’t the point. The point is everyone gets the same mini and it’s boring and very untraditional of ANet.

That point aside, if I put in more time and money making more characters, leveling and gearing them, I think each one deserves something.

Your point is like asking why a doctor makes more money than a fast food bathroom cleaner…they both work 40hrs/week, so why does the doctor make more?

So if I just decided to make 5 level 1 characters and then buy a bunch of slots for more level 1 characters, I should be more valuable?

It’s a gift. Not a salary. Which is why your analogy is nonsensical. What you are doing is no different then than if a friend gave all their friends the same present, and you are like “Hey, I did more for you…. why aren’t you giving me a bigger one?” You would be called out for the entitled kitten that you are.

Or even better. The gift is for every child you have. And then the person with more children complains because they don’t get different gifts even though each child receives one.

Sorry dude. I’d love for you to enter a big company with a coupon and demand more out of the coupon because you’ve been a bigger customer. If you don’t get laughed out, you can get 1 free copper ore from me.

Edit: Also, it can be argued that multiple of the minis can be useful because you don’t have to shuffle it around all your characters and save trips from the bank. And also I have a bunch of useless redundant minis that are account bound (sup risen priest mini), so no, I really don’t care about the crying since that actually cost me.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

The Eternal Grace.3157

So if I just decided to make 5 level 1 characters and then buy a bunch of slots for more level 1 characters, I should be more valuable?

It’s a gift. Not a salary. Which is why your analogy is nonsensical. What you are doing is no different then than if a friend gave all their friends the same present, and you are like “Hey, I did more for you…. why aren’t you giving me a bigger one?” You would be called out for the entitled kitten that you are.

Or even better. The gift is for every child you have. And then the person with more children complains because they don’t get different gifts even though each child receives one.

Sorry dude. I’d love for you to enter a big company with a coupon and demand more out of the coupon because you’ve been a bigger customer. If you don’t get laughed out, you can get 1 free copper ore from me.

Edit: Also, it can be argued that multiple of the minis can be useful because you don’t have to shuffle it around all your characters and save trips from the bank. And also I have a bunch of useless redundant minis that are account bound (sup risen priest mini), so no, I really don’t care about the crying since that actually cost me.

Sorry man, but since everyone paid for 5 character slots, they’re technically able to get 5 gifts. If I buy more character slots, I should be able to get more gifts. Plain and simple.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

It’s free.

The difference being a dead rat has very real and serious negative consequences. The rotting smell, bad hygiene, etc.

A mini Queen Jennah and the boosters are completely harmless to you. The more apt analogy is Grandma giving you a ugly sweater. Sure you may not like it, but it’s free and it won’t harm you.

ArchonWing.9480

Sorry man, but since everyone paid for 5 character slots, they’re technically able to get 5 gifts. If I buy more character slots, I should be able to get more gifts. Plain and simple.

You did get 5 gifts (if you made 5 characters) One for each character so you don’t have to shuffle the mini around your bank.

Let’s continue to ignore the 5 birthday boosters.

Doggie.3184

ArchonWing, you in a deep financial gutter or grew up extremely poor or something to make you this bitter? You’re trying as hard as possible to stomp all over a tradition every GW1 player has been used to for years. Seems like there’s a much deeper problem going on with you here. Of all the complaints that clutter this forum, this one is absolutely acceptable. It’s basically like they deleted a holiday when they coulda just as easily continued it with using the 54 new mini they just added. ;/

Coldin.2840

And people with all those character slots did get more gifts. A very useful Birthday Booster, and a mini Queen Jenna.

Yes. It’s not a random mini. But wait, aren’t people complaining about RNG anyway?

I can see it now. Arenanet makes a birthday gift that has 150 different minis, but then there’s the guy who had 15 characters and only got 4 different minis and feels cheated by it.

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

It’s free.

The difference being a dead rat has very real and serious negative consequences. The rotting smell, bad hygiene, etc.

A mini Queen Jennah and the boosters are completely harmless to you. The more apt analogy is Grandma giving you a ugly sweater. Sure you may not like it, but it’s free and it won’t harm you.

And the same problem exists. The gift giver gives more what they want to give, instead of what the receiver is likely to enjoy.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.

Posted by: Thereon.5219

Thereon.5219

One day the tooth fairy visited me and gave me a dollar, I was very happy.

2 Month later the tooth fairy visited and gave me a quarter, I am angry.

Moral of Story: If you gave everyone a free sandwich, someone will complain that it isn’t the kind they wanted.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

And the same problem exists. The gift giver gives more what they want to give, instead of what the receiver is likely to enjoy.

Well yea. That’s not my point though. My point was more directed at the user who tried to compare the free gift to a dead rat. It’s a pretty bad analogy.

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

Oh my God, there’s complaints about a free gift? As part of a package that says, “thanks for playing the game”? Wow. I don’t understand that mindset. I played GW1 and completed all 4 campaigns and always thought the birthday minis were icing on the cake. I’m not a collector so my opinion isn’t geared towards collecting every mini. But this is a free gift! What you paid for is the right to play the game, not for specific items of content. Keep it up and we’ll start getting nothing free – I sure wouldn’t continue to give stuff to someone who doesn’t appreciate it. Just wow.

ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing, you in a deep financial gutter or grew up extremely poor or something to make you this bitter? You’re trying as hard as possible to stomp all over a tradition every GW1 player has been used to for years. Seems like there’s a much deeper problem going on with you here. Of all the complaints that clutter this forum, this one is absolutely acceptable. It’s basically like they deleted a holiday when they coulda just as easily continued it with using the 54 new mini they just added. ;/

I wish I were. It would give me some kind of moral leverage since in your attempt to discredit me you’ve shown an utter lack of consideration for real problems (poverty) over some issue in a video game. I think that speaks more about you than it does me.
If I were on a deep financial gutter, I wouldn’t be here talking about a video game lol,.

Point is you don’t deserve more than anyone else just because you made more characters. It’s not that hard. And there are still minor perks to having more characters due to the boosters. But yes, feel free to ignore all this.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Be grateful……….Its like receiving a piece of poo for your birthday.Whaddaya do with it?You throw it down da toilet or the bin or use it as fertilizers.

Not me, I sit outside Anet’s headquarters throwing the poo into their windows and at any Anet employees that walk by shouting, “Be grateful! Happy Birthday!”.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

ArchonWing.9480

Oh my God, there’s complaints about a free gift? As part of a package that says, “thanks for playing the game”? Wow. I don’t understand that mindset. I played GW1 and completed all 4 campaigns and always thought the birthday minis were icing on the cake. I’m not a collector so my opinion isn’t geared towards collecting every mini. But this is a free gift! What you paid for is the right to play the game, not for specific items of content. Keep it up and we’ll start getting nothing free – I sure wouldn’t continue to give stuff to someone who doesn’t appreciate it. Just wow.

Indeed.

I am extremely kittenny on stuff I am due, especially when I put effort into something for a promised effect. I can say that I got cheated if it wasn’t delivered.

When they go above and out of their way though to give a gift, aka something not deserved I don’t say much. If I get a useless gift, I’ll just put it aside or dispose of it. It takes 2 seconds in this game.

Really now, if someone buys you an ugly shirt, do you go “Screw you, some kind of friend you are”?

The only logical complaints are when one is unfairly excluded. But nobody is excluded because it’s the same gift all players will receive eventually. Thus the only reason is to suggest you deserve more and any kind of action towards that regards can not be fair, so A-net rightfully chose to not bring it that way.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Players like their chr’s to be unique. What’s the fun if erveryone is walking around with the same wings and mini’s? Any gift -birthday or other- should be unique. As for the booster: Actually I assumed it was a permanent one to get started with the new account based boosts. 1 Day? What is there to perform in 1 day??

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

I’ve kinda got a hunch that they kinda decided to do an uninformed experiment to see how the player base would feel about having this method of gifting.. I hope.

But yeah. I’m over it now, OP. ANet used to be cool. And to those who say, “Oh, be grateful blah blah blah” I’m sorry but when someone actually goes down in standard when they were higher up before, it is hard for an individual to be grateful if the quality has dropped.

It’s easy to say “Be Grateful” but the reality is, ANet fixed something that was anything but broken, and it is probably one of their best things.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

What any recent mmo doesn’t do anything?

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

It’s because they sell mini’s in the gemstore now and because Bday prezzies are no longer the ONLY way to get minipets like in GW1. Except for the really rare mini’s from bosses and HoH chests.

The Eternal Grace.3157

It’s because they sell mini’s in the gemstore now and because Bday prezzies are no longer the ONLY way to get minipets like in GW1. Except for the really rare mini’s from bosses and HoH chests.

Yeah…they want people to spend money on gems to buy minis…it’s rather pathetic. This money-craving Anet is way different than the one that maintained GW1.