175 Black Lion Keys Results

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DanAlcedo.3281

DanAlcedo.3281

Hi!

I opened 175 Black Lion Chest and just wanted to share the results.
Because i already had the new Glider, i got 14 more keys.

So its a total of : 189 Keys.

https://s27.postimg.org/65dp6pzn7/Schl_ssel_175.png

Edit: Link for 200 Keys
https://s30.postimg.org/6chaubxdd/Schl_ssel_200.png

(edited by DanAlcedo.3281)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

It’s ridiculous how one is being tricked these days. By adding the “seasonal gift” to each BLC, they significantly reduced the number of valuable drops per chest (skins and skin unlocks, and the like). Adding the chance of a fourth slot drop doesn’t make up for that fact.

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

It’s ridiculous how one is being tricked by ArenaNet these days. By adding the “seasonal gift” to each BLC, they significantly reduced the number of valuable drops per chest. Adding the chance of a fourth slot drop doesn’t make up for that fact.

Previously that slot was taken up by a booster so unless you’re counting boosters as valuable drops then there isn’t a significant reduction.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

It’s ridiculous how one is being tricked by ArenaNet these days. By adding the “seasonal gift” to each BLC, they significantly reduced the number of valuable drops per chest. Adding the chance of a fourth slot drop doesn’t make up for that fact.

Previously that slot was taken up by a booster so unless you’re counting boosters as valuable drops then there isn’t a significant reduction.

a booster is still better than nothing

and boosters can be really useful actually

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Bruno.3812

a booster is still better than nothing

and boosters can be really useful actually

Yes. But seasonal gifts are not “nothing” and many people complained about getting boosters also. For example, a post calling boosters garbage and getting them a kick in the face.

My opinion is that a few items should not be in the Black Lions chest. Get rid of transmutation charges and get rid of boosters. They are not worthy of being an item in the chest. Key drops are very rare and buying them is quite expensive. Making Boosters and transmutations charges so common upon opening a chest is a kick in the face. You should get something of value when opening a chest. Dosn have to be rare just useful. Or make keys drop more often. Ive opened about 50 chests recently in total and have no received mainly transmutation charges and boosters and bank express things. Frustrating how garbage that is

So, from the forum complaints ANet substituted one low value item for another. Not a low value item for a high value item.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

It’s ridiculous how one is being tricked these days. By adding the “seasonal gift” to each BLC, they significantly reduced the number of valuable drops per chest (skins and skin unlocks, and the like). Adding the chance of a fourth slot drop doesn’t make up for that fact.

The only funny part is that players think they are being tricked when Anet full out tells you what you can get in the BLC every season. Maybe ‘being tricked’ is code here for players not paying attention

Bruno.3812

The only funny part is that players think they are being tricked when Anet full out tells you what you can get in the BLC every season. Maybe ‘being tricked’ is code here for players not paying attention

Not paying attention indeed. Previously it was one guaranteed item and 2 random items. Now it’s one guaranteed item and 2 random items plus a chance for a 4th item. In addition there is now the preview to see if you want to use your key, black lion skins from selected older sets, a chance to unlock a random item in your wardrobe as well as getting a key for another chance if you get a duplicate skin. The chances for getting valuable skins has substantially increased with these changes.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hi!

I opened 175 Black Lion Chest and just wanted to share the results.
Because i already had the new Glider, i got 14 more keys.

So its a total of : 189 Keys.

https://s27.postimg.org/65dp6pzn7/Schl_ssel_175.png

Nice. At least 13 Black Lion Weapon skins, a Southsun Kasmeer (if you choose), and possible cool Wardrobe unlocks if you’ve already made the effort to unlock most/all of the inexpensive, easily-attained skins/dyes/minis, etc., as many have. I’ll take it! Lol.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Why are all of your items split up when you could stack them?

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So out of 189 it broke down the following

Seasonal Item
189 – Large Personalized Wintersday Gift

Common Convenience Item
38 – Bank Access Express
38 – Trading Post Express
25 – Merchant Express
38 – Transmutation Charge
24 – Teleport To A Friend
26 – Revive Orb

Common Account Progression Item
9 – Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
31 – Tome of Knowledge
24 – Unidentified Dye
25 – Toy Miniature Egg
21 – Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
81 – Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap

Uncommon
3 – Black Lion Claim Ticket
3 – Glint’s Winter Dye Kit

Rare
1 – Wintersday Weapon Skin

Super Rare
1 – Zodiac Weapon Skin

14 – Keys For Duplicate Account Bound Items

Minor inconsistency with the Common Account Progression Item, I count 191 Vs 189

Not sure if if you get 2 keys for a duplicate or 1.

It would mean you got either 15 or 22 4th slots out of 189.

It seems from this, my own and other openings that scraps drop just as much or a little more than before.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Taking Behellagh’s numbers (thanks for summarizing!):

• 100% chance of a seasonal item
  • 100% chance of a common drop.
  • ~100% chance of a common progression (see B’s note, above)
  • 3.2% chance of an uncommon progression
  • 0.5% chance of a rare progression
  • 0.5% chance of a super rare progression

And separately, you get approximately 5.9 full tickets for every 100 chests.

The data is too small to be reliable for uncommon and especially for rare/super rare progression items. It’s enough to give people an idea of whether it’s worth it to them to spend gems on keys, since you have roughly one chance in a hundred of getting something rare or better.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I wouldn’t be happy with those drops.

DanAlcedo.3281

So out of 189 it broke down the following

Seasonal Item
189 – Large Personalized Wintersday Gift

Common Convenience Item
38 – Bank Access Express
38 – Trading Post Express
25 – Merchant Express
38 – Transmutation Charge
24 – Teleport To A Friend
26 – Revive Orb

Common Account Progression Item
9 – Black Lion Miniature Claim Ticket
31 – Tome of Knowledge
24 – Unidentified Dye
25 – Toy Miniature Egg
21 – Guaranteed Wardrobe Unlock
81 – Black Lion Claim Ticket Scrap

Uncommon
3 – Black Lion Claim Ticket
3 – Glint’s Winter Dye Kit

Rare
1 – Wintersday Weapon Skin

Super Rare
1 – Zodiac Weapon Skin

14 – Keys For Duplicate Account Bound Items

Minor inconsistency with the Common Account Progression Item, I count 191 Vs 189

Not sure if if you get 2 keys for a duplicate or 1.

It would mean you got either 15 or 22 4th slots out of 189.

It seems from this, my own and other openings that scraps drop just as much or a little more than before.

That because i posted 2 more Lvl Books than it should be. 12 not 14.

Why are all of your items split up when you could stack them?

Sry for that. Thats because i opened them not at ones but in 100 / 50 /25 over a few days.

Here is the result off 200 keys btw : https://s30.postimg.org/6chaubxdd/Schl_ssel_200.png

(edited by DanAlcedo.3281)

Ashantara.8731

As far as I recall, the booster wasn’t in each chest but only by chance, no? Or does my memory trick me on this one?

Behellagh.1468

No, previous iteration of BL Chests always had a booster in the first slot and during events we got a 4th slot with the seasonal event item.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

Its kinda like buying a lottery ticket and getting a bunch of paper goods for a prize. Sure you can use paper plates and cups but nothing really special about it lol.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

nailed it

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

BLKs have never been a good value. I’m sure if they increased drop rates on skin tickets and added a bit more exciting items that could drop from the chests people would spend a lot more money on them.

If you’re going to have a lottery style system, it needs to have the potential for big payoffs – not mediocre if you’re lucky. For example, add a small chance for a level 80 boost, or an ascended/legendary precursor, and you’ll suddenly have whales dropping hundreds of dollars on them, and a lot more people buying them randomly here and there.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

Yuck. No really interesting items like Permanent Contracts or Harvesting Nodes, both which seem to have recently been nerfed. To the point where prices on these are now stratospheric.

Bruno.3812

As far as I recall, the booster wasn’t in each chest but only by chance, no? Or does my memory trick me on this one?

Your memory is tricking you. A Booster was a guaranteed item in the first slot. On Nov 1 2016 they were removed and replaced by a guaranteed festival item.

Edit: Posted results from Dulfy showing what was gotten from 100 keys. If you count the different boosters there are 100 boosters for the 100 keys.

Attachments:

(edited by Bruno.3812)

Behellagh.1468

Here’s my 25 key haul. I’m pretty happy with it.

Attachments:

RIP City of Heroes

Ashantara.8731

No, previous iteration of BL Chests always had a booster in the first slot and during events we got a 4th slot with the seasonal event item.

That’s it! There was a permanent additional slot for seasonal items. I knew something used to be different before. Thanks!

P.S. Back then, I would occasionally receive truly rare drops like home instance nodes or permanent contracts — something that hasn’t happened at all since the BLC functionality update.

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I do not buy keys. I enjoy map completion on alts, I buy character slots for extra storage. I worked out that by buying a character slot for storage, doing map completion with the alt I tend to get the following.

92 storage slots
Materials farmed as I complete maps
A transmutation charge or a key
An alt to farm stationary nodes

The transmutation slots and keys offset the cost of the character slot. Those who do not think actually buying a key is worth it, but want to open chests, might like my strategy.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

To each their own, but I don’t think I’d pay 335g for the glider, 3 wardrobe unlocks, 25 personal presents, and a few odds and ends.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Obtena.7952

To each their own, but I don’t think I’d pay 335g for the glider, 3 wardrobe unlocks, 25 personal presents, and a few odds and ends.

Depends what wardrobe unlocks you got wouldn’kitten That’s part of the gamble that we all understand when we buy keys.

Essence Snow.3194

Depends what wardrobe unlocks you got wouldn’kitten That’s part of the gamble that we all understand when we buy keys.

No it doesn’t. I wouldn’t pay that regardless of those 3 unlocks. Someone else might, hence “to each their own”, but my opinion does not depend on those.

Obtena.7952

Then you don’t really have a horse in this race in the first place do you? He’s happy with his haul. I guess you had a point to make about why you wouldn’t pay 335G for those things … it’s certainly not clear what it is. Maybe you got a beef with BL keys and don’t think they are worth the value … thanks to the OP in this thread, people can make some informed decisions about buying them and maybe that reinforces or clears up suspicions that people have.

I can only say that if I got 3 skins that I was after and a few other things, 335G would be cheap price to pay for that. I think it’s safe to say that’s probably true for anyone else that got a number of skins they wanted for that price.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Bruno.3812

That’s it! There was a permanent additional slot for seasonal items. I knew something used to be different before. Thanks!

P.S. Back then, I would occasionally receive truly rare drops like home instance nodes or permanent contracts — something that hasn’t happened at all since the BLC functionality update.

It’s only been 2 months and a few days since the update. How often did you get home instance nodes or permanent contracts? Surely not every month or two.

Essence Snow.3194

Then you don’t really have a horse in this race in the first place do you? He’s happy with his haul. I guess you had a point to make about why you wouldn’t pay 335G for those things … it’s certainly not clear what it is. Maybe you got a beef with BL keys and don’t think they are worth the value … thanks to the OP in this thread, people can make some informed decisions about buying them and maybe that reinforces or clears up suspicions that people have.

Nor do you. I was simply adding value to the items so that others may develop their own opinion based on that information vs “happy with it”.

Obtena.7952

Well, thanks for the PSA I guess. The real value is the OP’s data, not comments about how BL keys aren’t worth it to any individual. Frankly, I think if you get a desirable skin or 2 from 25 keys, that’s a really good return considering the pricing of skins that are more expensive on the TP. I can’t understand how that’s not worth it to someone unless they don’t care about playing dress up, which would make me wonder why they even bought BL keys in the first place … significant fraction of the rewards are skin related.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Essence Snow.3194

Well, thanks for the PSA I guess. The real value is the OP’s data, not comments about how BL keys aren’t worth it to any individual.

Or how they are worth it to any individual. Thanks for helping with my point. Cheers!

Obtena.7952

There is no value in any one person liking or disliking keys and BL chest loot when someone is deciding to buy BL keys or not. The statistical data is the only relevant information to answer that question for them, not opinions of people that do or don’t value the loot in the chests.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Essence Snow.3194

There is no value in any one person liking or disliking keys when someone is deciding to buy them or not. The statistical data is what is relevant, not opinions.

Yep gotcha. That’s why I put gold value to them. Thanks again!

Obtena.7952

That doesn’t change anything. Just because you pin a gold value to your opinion doesn’t make it more valuable to the person who is trying to decide to buy keys. That’s not a statistical measure and the range that any loot value you get from chests varies over a few orders of magnitude, so that gold value you ‘put’ to them is quite worthless, misleading even; one could say there is a chance they get 25 percursor skins worth1000’s of G … that doesn’t mean much. What matters to a person buying the keys is their chances to get something they want.

So no, thank you for reinforcing the idea that opinions and cherry picked gold values are worthless; the statistical data is what is relevant.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Essence Snow.3194

That doesn’t change anything. Just because you pin a gold value to your opinion doesn’t make it more valuable to the person who is trying to decide to buy keys. That’s not a statistical measure and the range that any loot value you get from chests varies over a few orders of magnitude, so that gold value you ‘put’ to them is quite worthless, misleading even; one could say there is a chance they get 25 percursor skins worth1000’s of G … that doesn’t mean much. What matters to a person buying the keys is their chances to get something they want.

So no, thank you for reinforcing the idea that opinions and cherry picked gold values are worthless; the statistical data is what is relevant.

It wasn’t cherry picked. It was the gold value of the items that could not be bought on the tp right out. So it was statistical data in terms of deducing odds and value.

1/5 odds don’t mean much statistically unless you know 1/5 odds of “what”. The gold value provided a “what”, not a “what if”. Thus providing statistical relevance.

My opinion doesn’t change the numbers, nor does your opinion of my opinion being wash. The numbers however provide information for others so they can make a informed choice and that’s really the crux of why I added them to someone else’s opinion.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The point of the post was to offer a small bit of data. Others of us have organized the data in a way that we hope will be helpful to others.

However, none of us can say how much the keys are worth to anyone else. The cost of the items don’t tell anyone about how much it’s worth to you or to me; they just tell us how much value the community places on some of the items.

BL Keys are like lotto tickets: the worth is almost entirely in the entertainment value of the moment right before opening. If you like opening them, well, they are going to be worth a pretty penny to you; if you don’t like opening them, the expected value is way too little to make them “worth it” from a strictly economic point of view.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I got a flax node from a chest last week.

Posted by: Lite Ning Strike.5203

Lite Ning Strike.5203

nailed it

Prime reason why I don’t buy keys.

The First and Only Blaq Sheep

DanAlcedo.3281

The point of the post was to offer a small bit of data. Others of us have organized the data in a way that we hope will be helpful to others.

However, none of us can say how much the keys are worth to anyone else. The cost of the items don’t tell anyone about how much it’s worth to you or to me; they just tell us how much value the community places on some of the items.

BL Keys are like lotto tickets: the worth is almost entirely in the entertainment value of the moment right before opening. If you like opening them, well, they are going to be worth a pretty penny to you; if you don’t like opening them, the expected value is way too little to make them “worth it” from a strictly economic point of view.

Well actually you CAN calculate it.
Sure , we will never make liquid Gold out of Keys , but we get more Account Value.

First we need the cost of the 200 Keys => 16800 Gems or 4146 Gold.

Ok lets see what i got.
Note: I use the Instant Buy Value

214 Gifts => 12g 30s
27 Dyes => 13g 33s
25 Toy Eggs => around 13g
12 Ticktes => 720g (gw2efficiency.com used)
Skins => 139g
Mini tickets => 63g (Southsun Kasmer)
Flax Seed Note => 630g

Total: 1590g 63s

But we also got 24 Wardrobe Unlocks.
If we want to go even again, each skin needs to be worth 107g .
Which in my case isnt even that bad.

The wardrobe unlock has 2000+ Skins in it.
Im down to around 800 Skins.

Because we didnt even used the Value of all the other stuff i got from the chests this means its even better .

My conclusion is now(in my case) , is that if the average value of the Warderobe Unlock is 107g or higher , buying Keys from Gems is better for increasing the Acc Value.

If we dont use the rare Flax seed Node drop it would go up to 133g per Wa. Unlock, which is also not even that bad.

107g = 443 Gems
132g = 547 Gems

Manasa Devi.7958

You can try to put a value on the wardrobe unlocks, but that’s pointless, because their value is subjective. The gold value the unlocked skins represent is only really relevant if you get something you want and might have spent that gold on.

I’ve had a few BL weapon skins unlock, and all they’re worth to me is a dim grey icon in my wardrobe lighting up and going full color. I’ll never ever use those skins and I consider them to be a worse drop than the tome that could’ve dropped in the same slot as the wardrobe unlock that unlocked them.

The real-life equivalent of the wardrobe unlock is a raffle ticket that might give you nifty stuff worth thousands of dollars, but is more likely to give you thousands of dollars worth of horse manure.

DanAlcedo.3281

You can try to put a value on the wardrobe unlocks, but that’s pointless, because their value is subjective. The gold value the unlocked skins represent is only really relevant if you get something you want and might have spent that gold on.

I’ve had a few BL weapon skins unlock, and all they’re worth to me is a dim grey icon in my wardrobe lighting up and going full color. I’ll never ever use those skins and I consider them to be a worse drop than the tome that could’ve dropped in the same slot as the wardrobe unlock that unlocked them.

The real-life equivalent of the wardrobe unlock is a raffle ticket that might give you nifty stuff worth thousands of dollars, but is more likely to give you thousands of dollars worth of horse manure.

Some people are more interested in account value . So a random skin that you whould never use is still maybe 800g+ for them.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

I still wish they’d remove Tomes of Knowledge from BLCs, PvP, and WvW tracks. We get 10 per month, plus plenty of Writs of Experience. No more needed.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Small confession: I would’ve never had a legendary weapon if a permanent hair style contract didn’t drop. At the time I figured it was worth to trade for a legendary, but in hindsight, I kinda regret it because I have yet to use the function that seperates it from an ascended weapon at all.

Manasa Devi.7958

Some people are more interested in account value . So a random skin that you whould never use is still maybe 800g+ for them.

Like I said, the value is subjective.

Behellagh.1468

See, I know what I’m getting into when I acquire keys. It’s simply for the enjoyment of opening chests and see what I got.

I key farm every week, only buy keys when they are on sale and I buy gems every week around the lowest exchange rate for that day for impending sales.

RIP City of Heroes

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Well actually you CAN calculate it.

No, you cannot calculate the value to me; you only have access to some of the variables that are important to me.

Any calculations only show us today’s market value of some items and today’s exchange-rate-equivalent of gem store unlocks. They don’t show how much entertainment value there is in rolling the dice nor in the excitement one gets from actually getting a stellar drop.

We’ve always known that the contents of BL chests aren’t worth anything close to the cost of the keys, even at maximum discounts, and even when gold:gem ratios were much lower. The data above (regardless of its small-sample limitations) only helps us understand just how bad the economic value is; the fact that it’s a bad value isn’t new information.

We can estimate market worth (and the OP’s data helps with that); we can’t estimate whether that value is the most important thing to every player.

And, FYI: economic value isn’t the most important thing to a significant population, otherwise people wouldn’t buy so many keys (as evidenced by the spike in gold:gem ratios whenever BL keys are discounted).

Obtena.7952

The numbers however provide information for others so they can make a informed choice and that’s really the crux of why I added them to someone else’s opinion.

No really … those gold values you put up there do not allow people to make informed choices because the majority of BL chest items do not have real value, they have perceived value. It’s meaningless to attach any gold value to possible loot you get from BL chests, with exception for the few you can actually sell on the TP.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Essence Snow.3194

The numbers however provide information for others so they can make a informed choice and that’s really the crux of why I added them to someone else’s opinion.

No really … those gold values you put up there do not allow people to make informed choices because the majority of BL chest items do not have real value, they have perceived value. It’s meaningless to attach any gold value to possible loot you get from BL chests, with exception for the few you can actually sell on the TP.

There will always be a tangible value along side of a perceived value, but not necessarily a perceived value along side a tangible one. That’s just the way it is. Kinda like how a lotto ticket might cost 1 dollar and for some the value of hope is well worth the 1 dollar maybe more, but for others is not. Regardless the perceived value of hope, the actual value is still 1 dollar.

Obtena.7952

You’re going to have to define what you mean by tangible value because you made your initial comparison to gold. If you are equating that to gold, I can definitely think of instances where I opened a BL chest, got some cool things I wanted and couldn’t sell a single one of them for any gold. Lots of perceived value, absolutely no tangible value, i.e., no gold.

it’s quite irrelevant anyways … you think it’s informative to put a gold value onto a chest that gives you no loot you can sell saying it gives ‘tangible value’. Please tell me how that works. Please tell me how your giving information that allows someone to decide if they want to get keys based on ‘tangible value’ from the possibility they can’t sell the loot they get. This will be interesting ….

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There will always be a tangible value along side of a perceived value, but not necessarily a perceived value along side a tangible one. That’s just the way it is. Kinda like how a lotto ticket might cost 1 dollar and for some the value of hope is well worth the 1 dollar maybe more, but for others is not. Regardless the perceived value of hope, the actual value is still 1 dollar.

Be careful: the “actual” value isn’t a dollar; that’s the cost.

The “actual” value is whatever the ticket is worth after the winning numbers are published (and it’s zero after the expiration date).

The expected value is 50 cents for most US lotteries, in that half the money goes into prizes (most to the jackpot, some to the consolation prizes). In practice, no one is going to see the expected value, because that requires either buying millions of tickets or some weird sort of RNG in which one gets half the costs returned.

In practice, the value is going to be a lot less than the expected value: if you leave out the jackpot and top 1-2 unlikely prizes, the vast majority of lotto players are going to end up with a lot less than 50 cents.

Here’s an example of how we simply cannot do any better than estimating expected value: the expected value of US lotteries is almost 50 cents on a dollar ticket and the chance of winning is always tiny, yet plenty of people (with and without mad math skills) will buy lotto tickets only when the jackpot is over a hundred million dollars or more. The expected return is always 50 cents, but people find it more valuable with a higher jackpot.

So sure, you can look at someone else’s winnings and offer your market valuation of their loot; but you can’t say whether it was worth it to them or not.

And in this thread, a poster expressed their happiness with their prizes, so the gracious thing is to say “gz” — it’s churlish to say they shouldn’t have been happy or that they have incorrectly valued their shinies or even that you wouldn’t be happy with that.