1800 gems for a server transfer? Why!?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Wolfs Shadow.7234

Wolfs Shadow.7234

Played the game since launch for 6-7 months and than took a break. I came back because my friends got into it again, but are on a different server. The moment I realized I had to pay $20.00 just for a server transfer my jaw dropped. I don’t expect GW to change based on this post, but I hope someone from their team reads it because I can tell you right now I lost all feeling to return to the game when I saw that.

Even in Guild Wars one at the very least it didn’t feel like we were being nickel and dimed.

$20.00 doesn’t seem like much, but include the price you paid for the game ($80.00). I am not jamming more money into a game that everyone is saying is dying. Now I am understanding why.

kitten I miss GW1

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

You can move a clear account for free, what level are your characters?

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Because ANet thinks if they charge more money, people will pay more money.

Logic!

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

You’re complaining about an optional service you can even pay for by earning gold in game so no real money is required in an MMO that has no subscription.

Read that twice. Then apologize.

Posted by: Godzzila.3752

Godzzila.3752

People that cry for evrything they have to pay make me angry.
This game has to make money to keep the servers running.
It is not even a service that you would use a lot or require.
You can just guest their server.

Posted by: Snoflake.9087

Snoflake.9087

If you are going permanently from a low population server to a higher population server, it costs more. And by low pop, it could say ‘high’ and your destination could be ‘very high’. Same deal.

The cost is to discourage server hopping for WvW participants, mainly with the intent of stopping some of the douchiness that goes on. Not to mention wholesale gutting of the WvW population like at the end of 2012 when the Henge of Denravi server went from number 1 to almost dead last when the vast majority of players transferred off after the alliance disintegrated.

As long as you aren’t planning on doing any WvW (which you are locked out of if you guest), as others have said, just temporarily guest over with your friends for now. It’s free.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

1800 gems to a server with a very high population. Only 1000 gems to a high and 500 gems to a medium population server.

First, it’s a way to discourage players to transfer to servers with very high populations over less filled ones. Partially due to WvW.

Second, with the advent of guesting most reasons for transfer are moot.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

If server transfers were cheap or free then WvW wouldnt mean anything. everyone will just hop over to the winner server/s. its expensive bc the game wasnt meant for ppl to be hoping from server to server. u can also pay 70g in game for the transfer depending on the price of gems.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

delete all your characters —> free transfer

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Tenoh.2305

Tenoh.2305

anet is now so greedy!

kitten you anet! I hate you!

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Squeeze you for all the $$$ they can, that’s why!

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Guildwars 2 will never be truly be P2W because you can always grind-gem it.

They were incredibly smart in realising they could pull that off.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

I came back because my friends got into it again, but are on a different server.

err you can guest for free. You can even be in the same guild. You just cant wvw. You want to f33l and sp33k l33t @ p33ps and transfer to a T1 wvw server, then pay forward your 20 bucks. Yup.

Posted by: Xamon.5783

Xamon.5783

Well I’ll assume since you have been away from the game for a long time, you don’t have a clue how easy/free that transfer can be, so here is what you can do: log in, meet your friends by guesting in their server and ask them to train-farm champions with you in Frostgorge Sound/Orr map.
You guys should make enough gold in day or two for you to hop on their server and play together.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

I don’t see anything wrong with server transfer fees. I like the way they’ve been implemented (cost less to go to a lower population) and I think the prices are fair.

We were given weeks at the start of the game to transfer for free to find ‘our server’. It would be VERY bad for WvW if people were allowed to transfer for free or very little.

And one more thing, as mentioned above gems can be acquired through gold.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Wobbles.6408

Wobbles.6408

Anet posted saying there doing good, 3 million sales with over 460,000 different users a month, and a very strong Shop economy, so don’t believe online post about a game dying.

Everyone just compares it to WoW but face the truth, there is never going to be a MMO out there that will get those numbers ever. Just to many games out there to play to keep people just to 1 game. Unlike back then WoW was really the only great Online game then.

Also you don’t need to server change, I thought the Questing service is in game now. I haven’t been following the game much but only just returned to the game, so not sure if this feature is in game yet. If so then just guild on another server and grp with them. No need to change servers.

Also Anet do need to make money to continue with content so I don’t see a problem with server transfer fee’s. At least they gave you an option around changing.

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

Greed. Pure and simple.

ESPECIALLY since it’s 1800 ($22.50)/1000 ($12.50)/500 ($6.25), forcing you to buy amounts of gems that they don’t actually sell (they only sell in batches of 800 ($10.00), 1600 ($20.00), 2800 ($35.00), 4000 ($50.00), and 8000 ($100.00) and only actually involves changing one or two values (home World and, sometimes, the World you’re guesting on) in the player’s profile and, assuming character data’s actually kept on the Worlds’ servers and not just on the central server used for logins and such, performing a data copy to the new World – tasks which would be trivial to automate (give me access to the code and I could do it in under 10 minutes, I bet).

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Greed. Pure and simple.

ESPECIALLY since it’s 1800 ($22.50)/1000 ($12.50)/500 ($6.25), forcing you to buy amounts of gems that they don’t actually sell (they only sell in batches of 800 ($10.00), 1600 ($20.00), 2800 ($35.00), 4000 ($50.00), and 8000 ($100.00) and only actually involves changing one or two values (home World and, sometimes, the World you’re guesting on) in the player’s profile and, assuming character data’s actually kept on the Worlds’ servers and not just on the central server used for logins and such, performing a data copy to the new World – tasks which would be trivial to automate (give me access to the code and I could do it in under 10 minutes, I bet).

Greed!?!

More like balance. Server hopping should be a no-no in WvWvW.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Luquatic.3825

Luquatic.3825

I don’t see the problem here.
$20 is a commen/normal price for a server change in MMO games.

A Thief on Desolation

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Greed. Pure and simple.

Greed!?!

I prefer people hop servers over dead wvw servers

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

Greed!?!

I don’t understand this logic. Can you elaborate on this? How is this any different from changing teams in a fps game? As long as there is some boundaries it shouldn’t really matter what server you play on right?

(edited by tom.7468)

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I bet if anet charged 1 gem for a mini kitten people here would still call them greedy.

I kind of hate how all my gem purchases early on have pretty much subsidized the game for these kind of players.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Greed. Pure and simple.

Greed!?!

Hopping servers has turned out to be worse than dead wvw servers.

At least now you can choose between competitive zerg-servers and a more strategically oriented low-tier servers. The stable wvw environment is much better, compared to the bandwagony hopapalooza.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Greed. Pure and simple.

Greed!?!

At least now you can choose between competitive zerg-servers and a more strategically oriented low-tier servers. The stable wvw environment is much better, compared to the bandwagony hopapalooza.

If I hear people on the top server waiting for hours in que, i’d transfer in a heartbeat to a lower one. kitten nus and league items but you can play.

Vol.5241

Greed. Pure and simple.

Greed!?!

If I hear people on the top server waiting for hours in que, i’d transfer in a heartbeat to a lower one. kitten nus and league items but you can play.

Sometimes the battles are way more epic in t1 than in the bottom tiers that makes the wait worth it.

And the only time you wait for hours on queue is on reset night

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

You’re complaining about an optional service you can even pay for by earning gold in game so no real money is required in an MMO that has no subscription.

Yes, farm your 10,000 hours to get those 1,800 gems. Do you not know how much the price for gems go for nowadays? It’s like 6 gold per 100 gems!

That’s obviously not an option here, so Anet wants you to pay real money for that.

Read your post twice, because obviously you didn’t do the math, and in all honesty, I don’t even know if you’re playing this game because you know so little about it.

Read your post twice, then apologize.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Everyone just compares it to WoW but face the truth, there is never going to be a MMO out there that will get those numbers ever.

If you think that then you should blame the publishers and game designers who ignore good ideas and dismiss others as if they know everything and then wonder why their mmo tanks.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wow. Gold-to-Gem prices must be a lot more on your server. In the last two weeks, I have converted gold to get 2500 gems. All the gold was from the Scarlet patch. And I still have about 65 gold left. The last time I looked it was about 4.7/100, but I haven’t looked yet, today, so it might have spiked again. It sure wasn’t very hard to make some gold recently. Lol, blues and greens were selling darn well on the TP. =)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There were free transfers when the game launched. People would transfer to another server to spy on their WvW rivals. The reason for the server charge is to prevent guilds from moving easily from server to server, thus everyone goes to the winner servers, and no one is left defending the other ones.

The WvW players demanded a high price for a transfer and in fact, some have said the price isn’t high enough.

WoW is a game with a $15 a month sub that still charges $25 for a server transfer…and you can’t pay in in game gold to get that.

I’m not quite sure what your problem is OP.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

There were free transfers when the game launched. People would transfer to another server to spy on their WvW rivals. The reason for the server charge is to prevent guilds from moving easily from server to server, thus everyone goes to the winner servers, and no one is left defending the other ones.

The WvW players demanded a high price for a transfer and in fact, some have said the price isn’t high enough.

WoW is a game with a $15 a month sub that still charges $25 for a server transfer…and you can’t pay in in game gold to get that.

I’m not quite sure what your problem is OP.

People just don’t like to spend money for something they feel they should get for free. Not sure why OP thinks that a game he is playing for free should offer a major service like this for free, but clearly he does. My gem store purchases this month will cover his stinginess luckily. Company has to make money somehow and I’m happy to support Anet with my hard-earned $$. (Unless it is RNG- they won’t get another penny out of me for RNG items in gem-store, jeez what a racket.)

I realize not everyone has the money to spend, and Anet knows that too. Luckily there is a decent-sized minority of players like me that can afford it and will keep the game funded. I have no qualms spending money. They saved me $15/mo, the least I can do is spend at least that in the gem-store for them.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: P One Gore.2304

P One Gore.2304

How do you think Anet is going to make any money, if everything was free?

Tarnished Coast ~ Crimson Illuminati
Human: Seton Stamos-Thief/Angeni Stamos-Ranger
Norn: Anska Warborn-Warrior

JDGumby.7685

Greed!?!

It’s not just charging for server transfers (especially when using the pretext of WvWvW balance, which is complete bull when you could limit to X transfers in time period Y and/or have a WvWvW blackout or make them compete as part of the old world ‘til the next reset to prevent hopping between worlds on a whim) I object to, but the use of, as I pointed out, gem values that you cannot purchase, forcing you to spend more than you actually need to in order to get what you had wanted. It’s a very common, and EXTREMELY scummy, practice in any MMO’s cash shop (or other online store, such as Microsoft’s XBox store until very recently) that makes you buy points before you can buy the item/service/whatever.

JDGumby.7685

There were free transfers when the game launched. People would transfer to another server to spy on their WvW rivals.

Huh. I never heard of even a single verified case of that – just a bunch of the usual troll suspects on the forum saying “Yep, that’s what I’d do” whenever it was brought up.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Guildwars 2 will never be truly be P2W because you can always grind-gem it.

They were incredibly smart in realising they could pull that off.

That is also the case with almost all true p2w games. It’s part of the design philosophy of that type games. Gw2 isn’t really a p2w yet though, because you can’t gain that signifigant advantage over someone else with just gems.

Huh. I never heard of even a single verified case of that – just a bunch of the usual troll suspects on the forum saying “Yep, that’s what I’d do” whenever it was brought up.

Eh? It was done en masse. You would even have people buying 100 rams into keeps so that the server can no longer build siege due to the cap.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

(edited by Master of Timespace.2548)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

There were free transfers when the game launched. People would transfer to another server to spy on their WvW rivals.

I can contest for this personally. One of my friends was a WvW flocker – he’d flock to a different server every week, depending in the match up, and hang out there till the next round came along.

I ? Karkas.

Vol.5241

That’s cause it looks like you never stepped in the WvW subforum.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

I’d like to clarify the game isn’t dying. lol.

Also the transfers haven’t been free for like 6 months now?

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

It cost me 88g to move my second account from my old server to my current main server – a cost that was more than paid for by…participating in… the scarlet invasions for two weeks. Spend an hour or two a day gathering in demand materials and farming champions – in a few weeks you should have enough gold to transfer (83 gold at current market prices.)

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

commitment issue.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

People just don’t like to spend money for something they feel they should get for free.

This is how i feel about it too. If someone want to support Arenanet then thats awesome.
But this is something so fundamental that charging for it is a bit steep.
If you have irl friends in other servers you cant play wvw with them. And if you have friends from different servers you can only guest 2 times. Paying for server transfer is so expensive you might as well buy a new gw2copy. And thats why not that many transfer now. I used to transfer a lot during free transfers. wvw was a different experience on every server. Before paid transfer i changed to a server because i had a real life friend there. He quitted the game pretty fast. I also have a couple in another server. But i cant play wvw with them because changing server is just not worth it. It cost too much.

Behellagh.1468

Yes, farm your 10,000 hours to get those 1,800 gems. Do you not know how much the price for gems go for nowadays? It’s like 6 gold per 100 gems!

That’s obviously not an option here, so Anet wants you to pay real money for that.

Read your post twice, because obviously you didn’t do the math, and in all honesty, I don’t even know if you’re playing this game because you know so little about it.

Hmm. Right now 3pEDT Sep 9th 1800 gems will cost around 82 gold. There was a time I thought that was impossible to ever get but it is doable farming Champs or taking advantage of the current flux in the TP caused by the new crafting levels.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Neumonics.4603

Neumonics.4603

The whole Idea of ’’servers’’ is pretty dumb when you have ‘overflows’ and instances.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

Gems have actually dropped in price recently, they’re below 5g per 100. So either you aren’t playing the game, or you like hyperbole to spin your arguments. If you can’t earn 70-100 gold in a week, you’re doing it wrong. Learn to play.

Behellagh.1468

Gems have actually dropped in price recently, they’re below 5g per 100. So either you aren’t playing the game, or you like hyperbole to spin your arguments. If you can’t earn 70-100 gold in a week, you’re doing it wrong. Learn to play.

Really? L2P? I get gold when I want gold but most of the time I simply play ignoring the whole loot aspect.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Adrenaline.2854

Adrenaline.2854

Of course this game has to make money somehow. You can’t expect free things then have a good game come out with a ton of updates, even if the updates aren’t the best.

But seriously, $20 isn’t even that much. You can watch a movie at the theater for $10 that’ll last you only 2-3 hours.

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

Look at my sig, never really had a problem with paying for transfers.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

I understand transfers are expensive but think about it this way. Lets say you know someone one a different server who you are close friends with and thats why u are going to switch. Paying 20$ to play with them is worth it, at least to me. Or lets say your server sucks at wvw. I dont mean that they have too few people i mean they just suck. My old server sucked, although i didnt transfer for that reason bc i dont play much wvw. But i know alot of people switched from my server to another because our server had commanders who wouldnt listen to good ideas and got ppl killed. And most people were not very smart in positioning and what they should do. So if i were a wvwer i would def pay 20$ to get on a different server. It would be like a whole new game

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you only PvE, you can guest on other servers for free. Do this until you’ve gathered enough gold to do a transfer.

If you WvW, then you’re out of luck. You’re gonna have to transfer. But don’t worry, WvW is gonna die after they implement their leagues idea anyway.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I can make that amount of Gold in a day or two of farming. And I consider myself a Casual player.

Just because you cannot afford something, don’t assume that everyone else can’t.

PS – if you desire to pay real money for optional services, that’s your call, not Anet’s.

PS2 – 10k hours = 416+ days of continuous playing. But break that down to an average of 4 hours of real play time per day, and that means it woulds take you over 2,500 calendar days to farm about 100 Gold. At that point, I think you’re doing something wrong.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

(edited by Smooth Penguin.5294)

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I can make that amount of Gold in a day or two of farming. And I consider myself a Casual player.

Just because you cannot afford something, don’t assume that everyone else can’t.

PS – if you desire to pay real money for optional services, that’s your call, not Anet’s.

At today’s rates, 1800 gems is 82 gold. If you farm this in two days, that’s 41 gold a day. Assuming you farm 10 gold an hour, that’s 4 hours per day — and I think 10 gold/hour is quite a high number. I wouldn’t call that casual.