1800 gems for a server transfer? Why!?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

You’re complaining about an optional service you can even pay for by earning gold in game so no real money is required in an MMO that has no subscription.

Read that twice. Then apologize.

Yes, farm your 10,000 hours to get those 1,800 gems. Do you not know how much the price for gems go for nowadays? It’s like 6 gold per 100 gems!

That’s obviously not an option here, so Anet wants you to pay real money for that.

Read your post twice, because obviously you didn’t do the math, and in all honesty, I don’t even know if you’re playing this game because you know so little about it.

Read your post twice, then apologize.

I can make that amount of Gold in a day or two of farming. And I consider myself a Casual player.

Just because you cannot afford something, don’t assume that everyone else can’t.

PS – if you desire to pay real money for optional services, that’s your call, not Anet’s.

At today’s rates, 1800 gems is 82 gold. If you farm this in two days, that’s 41 gold a day. Assuming you farm 10 gold an hour, that’s 4 hours per day — and I think 10 gold/hour is quite a high number. I wouldn’t call that casual.

If you know where and how to farm, you can rack up Gold in a legit manner in a short time. Bottom line, if I can do it, other people can too.

OR… buy Gems. I do that too. Best of both worlds!

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I think that’s ok, and there are good reasons for that.

- You can guest for free. Choose the server you want and congrats, you can play there for the rest of the day for free, whenever you want.

- WvW abuse. “My server is losing. Let’s change servers so I can get some bonuses, and stomp those noobs”. lol, just lol

- You can buy gems with gold. The price has gone up a lot, but you can still get a server transfer by just playing the game, and guesting if needed

You dont pay a monthly subscription, you can play on another server for free, you are complaining without reason.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

just pay the 20$. even if you work a minimum wage job thats around two hours of work. In game 20$ worth of gold is a lot more. So weigh time vs. money and make the right choice for yourself

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

You’re complaining about an optional service you can even pay for by earning gold in game so no real money is required in an MMO that has no subscription.

He played for 6-7 months. I seriously doubt he has 80g to blow on transferring servers. The no-subscription model doesn’t mean we get subscription-like game without a subscription, the game makes several large sacrifices and cuts to remove the subscription. Maybe you should realise you drank the Kool-Aid before you demand apologies from people frustrated that ArenaNet wants them to drop $20 to play with their friends.

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

There were free transfers when the game launched. People would transfer to another server to spy on their WvW rivals.

Huh. I never heard of even a single verified case of that – just a bunch of the usual troll suspects on the forum saying “Yep, that’s what I’d do” whenever it was brought up.

There was rampant Stormbluff sending people to SoS to spy on them back in the day, lol. I know because the guild in my sig did it. >.>

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

He played for 6-7 months. I seriously doubt he has 80g to blow on transferring servers. The no-subscription model doesn’t mean we get subscription-like game without a subscription, the game makes several large sacrifices and cuts to remove the subscription. Maybe you should realise you drank the Kool-Aid before you demand apologies from people frustrated that ArenaNet wants them to drop $20 to play with their friends.

But wait. Why blame Anet when all his friends transferred servers? If he wants to play with them in all aspects of the game (except for WvW), there’s a free GUEST option.

There’s another free option, which would be to delete all this characters, then transfer over. The Gem fee is merely the cost of having to move character data over.

Don’t forget, this is all for convenience. If neither of the options above work for the individual, then they can stay on their own server and make new friends.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

You think it’s reasonable to delete all your characters just so you can play with your real life friends? The simple fact that you have to ignore an entire game type with your friends if you’re on the wrong server is alone enough of a reason to criticise the situation, especially given the crappy options to solve that situation.

I don’t understand why anyone is defending ArenaNet here. People are aware of the guest option, they are aware of the ability to throw 80g down the drain, many are even aware of wiping your entire account to transfer (a hilariously bad option) and they are aware of the ability to drop half the price of the game to transfer, they still find these options unreasonable. You’re free to disagree but that won’t change the reality that this situation is unworkable for a lot of current and returning players.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

You think it’s reasonable to delete all your characters just so you can play with your real life friends? The simple fact that you have to ignore an entire game type with your friends if you’re on the wrong server is alone enough of a reason to criticise the situation, especially given the crappy options to solve that situation.

I don’t understand why anyone is defending ArenaNet here. People are aware of the guest option, they are aware of the ability to throw 80g down the drain, many are even aware of wiping your entire account to transfer (a hilariously bad option) and they are aware of the ability to drop half the price of the game to transfer, they still find these options unreasonable. You’re free to disagree but that won’t change the reality that this situation is unworkable for a lot of current and returning players.

You’re on the wrong server because you didn’t transfer when transfers were available. You have nobody but yourself to blame.

Deleting all characters is not there so you can transfer, it’s to let new players pick their first server for free. You should be grateful that it’s also an option for older players who don’t deserve a free transfer anymore.

The fact is that you can play on any server through guesting. You only need to transfer to wvw. And if it’s just one friend, the rest of the friends could contribute a part of the gold required for the gems if they really want to play on that server.

Yes, that is all reasonable.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Played the game since launch for 6-7 months and than took a break. I came back because my friends got into it again, but are on a different server. The moment I realized I had to pay $20.00 just for a server transfer my jaw dropped. I don’t expect GW to change based on this post, but I hope someone from their team reads it because I can tell you right now I lost all feeling to return to the game when I saw that.

Even in Guild Wars one at the very least it didn’t feel like we were being nickel and dimed.

$20.00 doesn’t seem like much, but include the price you paid for the game ($80.00). I am not jamming more money into a game that everyone is saying is dying. Now I am understanding why.

kitten I miss GW1

Because you’re playing the game for free, and they need to ding you when you want to do anything else.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

People just don’t like to spend money for something they feel they should get for free.

This is how i feel about it too. If someone want to support Arenanet then thats awesome.
But this is something so fundamental that charging for it is a bit steep.
If you have irl friends in other servers you cant play wvw with them. And if you have friends from different servers you can only guest 2 times. Paying for server transfer is so expensive you might as well buy a new gw2copy. And thats why not that many transfer now. I used to transfer a lot during free transfers. wvw was a different experience on every server. Before paid transfer i changed to a server because i had a real life friend there. He quitted the game pretty fast. I also have a couple in another server. But i cant play wvw with them because changing server is just not worth it. It cost too much.

You can guest on two servers per week, but get to guest as much as you want on those servers during the week.

Posted by: tanto.4217

tanto.4217

1800 :O i only payed 500 a month ago…

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

delete all your characters —> free transfer

remember to deposit all valuables first teehee.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

jeez, in wow it was 25 PER CHARACTER

1800 :O i only payed 500 a month ago…

that was a low pop server

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

As this thread is not contributing to the current issues & concerns, it is now closed.

Thank you for your understanding.