1k gems for... an OUTFIT?!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dasefex.4810

Dasefex.4810

No monthly fee to play seems legit to me. You can also farm the gold for the gems. Problem solved thread closed.

Fishy Joes 80 necro wvw
Digital Sacrifice Guild

Posted by: Notsoperky.4291

Notsoperky.4291

I love the fact that so many people like to play dress up in a game- and so do games companies, who will feed players a different outfit (limited time availability, of course) every couple of weeks at inflated prices ($10 for some pixels designed by some subbed out design team who are paid less than that per hour) and cream in huge profits.

I’d like to thank all those that buy these pixels for supporting the game and keeping it running.

Hopefully your real life wardrobes are full too, got to feed those designer label companies! (because it’s worth $500 more when the same factory slaps a designer label on that pair of jeans. It is! It is!).

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

I don’t think the price is bad considering that you get to use the outfit repeatedly on multiple characters of various races and both genders. Truly, if the price is not to your liking, or not within your budget, then don’t buy it. Perhaps it will be on sale someday and the price will be more to your liking.

Posted by: ana.8904

ana.8904

I see this as kind of a test to see if they can get away with higher prices on outfits. If it proves successful, expect to see all future outfits cost this much regardless of if it has any “cultural tweaks” or not.

kitten Illuminati trying to price-gouge us for our shinies, huh. Better save up for your tinfoil hat skin now.

Posted by: Sturmhard.9475

Sturmhard.9475

Wedding dresses have their price. Face it
So its even more exclusive

Posted by: neferet.5687

neferet.5687

+1 for the ranting people, because:

- We’re already so used to Anet being lazy with the armors and outfits in the shop (one look for every race, clipping, recoloring existing armor sets) that some of us can justify the high price with the excuse that the wedding outfit has 10 different looks. The common town clothes that were turned into a tonic were race- and gender-specific. They were given for free and they set an example and an expectation of how the future town clothes/outfits will work. Cook’s outfit, which is also one of the first in the game and still available, may not have different male/female looks, but it is race-specific and includes a toy. I would think that a toy weapon that has 5 skills takes more time to plan and make than a dress.

- And on that note – it took more time to make? That’s a valid excuse? If prices were based on “time and effort to make”, every item in the shop would have a different price. That’s not the case. Sorry, but I just can’t find a real justification of the difference in the prices of items that belong to the same category. (Another example can be seen if you look at the minis – the beetle costs 500 gems, while all others cost 350. Logic?)

- Even if that outfit indeed took way more time and efforts to make than the others, 300 gems is a really big boost to the price. The armor sets cost 100 gems above the outfits and offer a lot of customization options (yes, they are not universal for all armor types, but the price is still reasonable). So we pay 100 more for the option to customize and 300 more for… what exactly? My female charr’s outfit now looks different than my male asura’s outfit?! Wow, that’s amazing, and revolutionary, and totally worth it!!!

- The arguments/speculations that you buy the outfit now and your wedding is as good as done, “when” such mechanic is introduced, are really funny. You pay 1000 gems for the outfit, then, someday, you’ll most likely will have to pay 1000 more for god knows what. A certificate? A priest NPC? Consumable rings? An outfit and some roses in LA are not enough reason to get hyped about actual wedding mechanics and hope that the 1000-gem outfit will have some higher purpose.

- Yes, no one is forcing us to buy it, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t have issues with the pricing.

- Wedding dresses cost a lot in real life. I hope that this was not a serious argument. XD

- They could at least throw in a toy bouquet with 1-2 skills to go with the outfit.

tl;dr
My opinion is that the outfit, as it is now, is overpriced and I will wait for a real sale or an improvement (a toy, less clipping, better textures, special effects, etc.) to buy it.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Don’t really like it on human female.

Hips are too exaggerated (as per usual) and start kind of low and the design isn’t that great.

It’s cute on Asura, but mainly because it looks like a regular dress which could be dyed and worn normally.

As for the price – yes, on the one hand, they have every right to charge what they like for it.

However, on the other hand, I can see that if you really wanted this outfit, it would be annoying that it costs more than an armour set.

Wedding items often have inflated prices IRL, so it reflects that, but it would appear to be fairly equally unwarranted that it should.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: sanctuary.1068

sanctuary.1068

When i saw the 1000 gems, i thought…wow a tad bit too much, but imma have it anyway! But i dont know if ill do it again at that price. It was like 219 g or smth like that (had 50ish gems saved already), to exchange to gems. I dont buy the whole “its a different look for all races” – thing, every skin you could buy before, looked more or less different on the races. Plus, if you want to use that as a selling tactic to why you choose to sell for 1000 gems bc it supposedly have “different” looks for every race, then you should sell all normal outfits for 200 gems and you could decide which race you want to buy it for.

(edited by sanctuary.1068)

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I bought it for 1k gems. A must have for my Mesmer and Roleplay character, plus I appreciate the artistic detail they put on each gender/race. 1000 gems could be argued as too expensive yes, but personally it was something I liked, wanted and in the same motion supposed Anet by purchasing.

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

I’d like to buy the wedding dress and white wings for my Asuran female char as I think those and my halo would look really cool. Problem is I can’t afford both so what should I do?

I could jump onto these forums and whine about prices and how unfair it all is or (bear with me guys as this may be a new concept to some of you) I could decide which I want most and just buy that one. I could accept that I’m not entitled to everything I want, only the things I can afford and from that list, only the things for which I’m willing to pay. A new concept for some people but our grandparent’s understood it and it may yet come back into vogue.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’d spend 5k on my old sleeveless hoodie, gathering shorts and witches boots combo, with some consultation on what the 4 color channels should cover.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I’d like to buy the wedding dress and white wings for my Asuran female char as I think those and my halo would look really cool. Problem is I can’t afford both so what should I do?

I could jump onto these forums and whine about prices and how unfair it all is or (bear with me guys as this may be a new concept to some of you) I could decide which I want most and just buy that one. I could accept that I’m not entitled to everything I want, only the things I can afford and from that list, only the things for which I’m willing to pay. A new concept for some people but our grandparent’s understood it and it may yet come back into vogue.

Or anet can stop trying to inflate the value of gemstore items. That is another solution.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

1000 gems is 223 gold.

People are happily spending 400, 600 or 1000 gold on colors. Not outfits or even hats. Freakin colors.

I fail to see why we should be outraged.

This.

Rofl.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

Just save your allowances and shush, some of us don’t mind spending the money, stop persecuting people for having a few extra dollars/gold to spend :/

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Or anet can stop trying to inflate the value of gemstore items. That is another solution.

ANet isn’t inflating the value of gemstore items, so that’s not a solution. Items have prices, items are available to buy sometimes and not others, and sometimes items are discounted.

You don’t have to like that type of offering, but nearly all retailers do it: Target doesn’t sell Spring fashions year-round, e.g.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Kidel.2057

Kidel.2057

1000 gems or 290g. Seriously, 290g for an outfit are not that much when some weapon skins are 500-3000g. Talking about skins, not legendaries.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

If all the new Outfits are going to be 10 for 1, then I’m happy with that.

Reading… you obviously can’t do it very well.

No, I read it just fine. There’s a reason I said “IF

Posted by: Mayga.7241

Mayga.7241

This outfit is wonderfull) Thank you, Anet

(edited by Mayga.7241)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

This outfit is wonderfull) Thank you, Anet

It is.

I’m still not overly fond of the high/low fashion for both Norn and Humans. I feel like it should have been high/low for human and a different style for Norn, but all are beautifully detailed and I love how each race got a different outfit.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

Why are people even defending this? 1000 gems it outrageous, no matter how good some people consider the outfit. It does not matter if it is a “wedding dress.” This is not even remotely acceptable of a price tag and kitten right I am voting with my wallet and not buying it. Worse enough we have gambling boxes for skins that should just weapon skins bought as a set, but 1000 gems for an outfit? Who ever is charge of the gem store is way out of their minds on this one.

It is stuff like this that makes rethink about quitting the game all together.

Posted by: TimberWolph.7394

TimberWolph.7394

Why are people even defending this? 1000 gems it outrageous, no matter how good some people consider the outfit. It does not matter if it is a “wedding dress.” This is not even remotely acceptable of a price tag and kitten right I am voting with my wallet and not buying it. Worse enough we have gambling boxes for skins that should just weapon skins bought as a set, but 1000 gems for an outfit? Who ever is charge of the gem store is way out of their minds on this one.

I bought and had so much fun with it while sitting at Teq. But if you are going to leave, can I have your stuff?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why are people even defending this?

Why are people attacking it? It seems a waste of a good rant to focus on this.

1000 gems it outrageous,

It’s not “outrageous” — it’s just more than you want to pay. Heck, 700 gems is more than I want to pay, which is why I only have the two outfits I bought on sale.

ANet has the right to set the prices they want; I exercise my right not to pay them. No reason to be outraged.

What does the cost of items in the gem shop have to do with the rest of the game? If you aren’t enjoying the game, then by all means, quit the game altogether. If, however, you are enjoying the game, don’t let GW2’s cash shop practice interfere with your fun.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Feel free to link your credentials in Maya/3dsMax (I think Anet uses Maya but not 100% sure) that show you have a serious grasp on the amount of time and effort that went into this outfit vs the others that are largely 2 models that get stretched to conform to the various body types.

I’m going to go ahead assume you have no experience since you seem to think that something shouldn’t cost ~43% more despite offering 5x the content and thus requiring ~5x the work.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

the outfit is account bound and works on all characters of all races and genders , considering people used to dump 1k gems on soul bound items in the past this is a huge improvement and actually worth its price

Just a flesh wound.3589

It has a higher price because the amount of work that went into it is higher.

This is not equal to this.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

The outfit is is not five different outfits. Wedding Attire is Wedding Attire. outfit is outfit. It has unique look for each race just as all outfits should. I cant wear the norn look on my human or the asuran on my charr. They should not be jacking up the price just because there was a demand. Extortion.

Selling something much higher just because people want it is with undue power. It doesn’t matter how much time it took. There’s no additional gain from the outfit so its no different from other outfits They chose to create individual skins. Do Anet employees get paid in gems? No. They don’t so your argument is illogical.

Except, there was no undue illegal power or ingenuity or compelling argument from Anet. They provided an offer – 1 outfit for 1000 gems – and you can either buy it or not.

Commas tend to be used to represent and/or; not specifically the word and. In this case they mean or. You see how words are bold? Undue i.e., just because they can.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

(edited by Chuck.8196)

Just a flesh wound.3589

The outfit is is not five different outfits. Wedding Attire is Wedding Attire. outfit is outfit. It has unique look for each race just as all outfits should. I cant wear the norn look on my human or the asuran on my charr. They should not be jacking up the price just because there was a demand. Extortion.

lol. Extortion?

Extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Tell us how the bad ANet threatened you.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

700 gems, 1000 gems, who cares. There is nothing else to spend gold on anyway. Just like in real life, you see something you want, you check the price tag, you make a decision and then buy it or leave it.

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

lol. Extortion?

Extortion: the practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats.

Let me help you. You forgot the part " intimidation, or undue or illegal power, also : to gain especially by ingenuity or compelling argument" . I forgive you though. I don’t expect much from those who get info from Business Insider and think MKUltra was in 2012. ISP must block a lot. No reason for a near 43% increase in price. Then it’ll be on “Sale” for 700 later.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Just a flesh wound.3589

lol. Extortion?

Let me help you. You forgot the part " intimidation, or undue or illegal power, also : to gain especially by ingenuity or compelling argument" . I forgive you though. I don’t expect much from those who get info from Business Insider and think MKUltra was in 2012. ISP must block a lot. No reason for a near 43% increase in price. Then it’ll be on “Sale” for 700 later.

Lol.

Ok. What intimidation/undue or illegal power, or compelling argument has the bad ANet pushed upon you?

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

lol. Extortion?

Selling a luxury product that serves only a base entertainment purpose for an amount you personally find unreasonable is not “extortion”. You will not wither and die if you don’t have this outfit and I suspect you don’t even want it specifically or you wouldn’t be attacking the very “audacity” that an outfit be 1000Gems.

“No reason for a near 43% increase in price.”

Not like it took a lot more time to make or anything. Nah, that couldn’t be it at all. 10 unique models? That’s like the exact same thing as 1 Balthazar model that’s adjusted 10 times, right?

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Nothing wrong with questioning or objecting to the price, but…

Bought it.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

lol. Extortion?

Except, there was no undue illegal power or ingenuity or compelling argument from Anet. They provided an offer – 1 outfit for 1000 gems – and you can either buy it or not.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Yes, how dare the same people who just gave everyone the ability to get free with their 3rd birthday present dyes that are more expensive than those 1000 gems and every 5000 AP gives away 400 gems for free charge 1000 gems for something that’s completely cosmetic and doesn’t affect gameplay whatsoever and is totally optional to buy if someone likes it and feels the price is fun.

Why I do think you need to quit right now!!!

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

People always QQ out for an outfit and when one comes out they QQ about the price or some other flaw. Buy it or don’t, complaining won’t serve any purpose. The dress like the butterfly wings well…..I suppose someone has to like them LOL. GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Can’t even launch a invalid complaint against reasonably priced items in the gem store without people coming out of nowhere to defend it wildly. What a sad state of affairs.

Fify.

Its 300 more gems for an outfit that has 5 different cultural wedding sets inside it. I don’t know what the pricing is like where you live but where I live, if an item took more time and effort to make, it costs more.

You people can keep coming out with such ridiculous reasons but at the end of the day its still just a single outfit and its overpriced. You’re still wrong.

This is the equivalent of putting your fingers in your ears and going “lalalalalalalalalalalala you’re all wrong I’m right lalalalalalalala”

If all other outfits would be customized per race then I’d be on the same page as you. This outfit changes dramatically per race, hence it has more value than a standard outfit. I really don’t know how else anyone can explain it to you.

You think 1000 gems is overpriced. We get it…

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….