2 feature packs and 1/2 season, not enough

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

After seeing what we can expect from feature packs, and 1/2 a season of LS2, Its just not enough to make people come back, or keep people playing at the level where they feel invested enough to to spend money on gems.

LS2 is better than before and more interesting, but its not enough to keep many people invested.
The feature packs, so far as i have seen, do not have the type of features that would engage many people.

From my personal perspective, LS2 almost makes me want to play again, but then i just read the spoilers and figure ehh, good enough. After all, i did the first one, and while somewhat interesting after i completed it, there was nothing else in game i wanted to do. A day later or so i did the acheivs, which were kind of bleh in terms of challenge, and super ehhh in terms of rewards. Essentially LS2 is the best aspect of the current system, and its not enough to keep many players engaged.

If this is essentially the blueprint of the future of GW2, ehhhhh

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Yeah. I’m not optimistic about the future of GW2 unless ANet does a turnaround. I still enjoy getting on to do the dailies and collect stockpiles of laurels…but that’s going to be about it for me. The story is the only thing that keeps me coming back.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

You know what’s in feature pack 2? Enlighten me.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

How do you know that it’s not enough to keep people playing, or come back?

Do you have a pie-chart where you asked every person that has bought the game, or is this a case of “I don’t like this, therefore no one does”?

I am perfectly happy with the current quantity and quality of the content they produce.
And it’s getting better and better.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

After seeing what we can expect from feature packs, and 1/2 a season of LS2, Its just not enough to make people come back, or keep people playing at the level where they feel invested enough to to spend money on gems.

LS2 is better than before and more interesting, but its not enough to keep many people invested.
The feature packs, so far as i have seen, do not have the type of features that would engage many people.

From my personal perspective, LS2 almost makes me want to play again, but then i just read the spoilers and figure ehh, good enough. After all, i did the first one, and while somewhat interesting after i completed it, there was nothing else in game i wanted to do. A day later or so i did the acheivs, which were kind of bleh in terms of challenge, and super ehhh in terms of rewards. Essentially LS2 is the best aspect of the current system, and its not enough to keep many players engaged.

please tell us what you actually want.. and no saying “expansion” isn’t enough.

Describe what you would like to see….

but..I’m quite happy with the game.
“but its not enough to keep many people invested.”
how do you know this? have you got the numbers?? o0

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

You assume a lot. A.Net doesn’t HAVE to give you a blueprint for what they plan for GW2. After all, they own the game. If you don’t like it, you don’t HAVE to play. After 2 years, I am sure everyone who has played since then will admit that they got their monies worth from the game.

Your opinion is just that – yours. I think the LS2 is a step above what they had for LS1, in general.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The feature pack usually includes one or two “game-changing” features, and then several tiny but important QoL changes. It’s interesting, but certainly not “enough”. With LW offering us a new map and new story instances, and feature packs “only” offering enhancements to already existing content, it’s clear that GW2 is not getting enough content compared to the competition.

The first thing they choose to announce, for the next massive feature patch, was a pvp exclusive armor set to farm, another one for the top 15 players out of the many thousands, and a beta model option that is only available… for a few hundred players as well.

Sure, that’s not everything, but then we also know one other upcoming feature is an enhancement combat log and colored commander icons that fail their purpose.

Where is the game-changing pvp features? Leagues? New game modes? Better matchmaking? Nope, only tiny, even if interesting, additions.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

ANet may say that GW2 is the most frequently updated MMO on the market, and perhaps that’s true. But when you compare the updates by the amount of content, it’s becoming increasingly clear that it’s not close to measuring up.

In other words, GW2 updates are quantity over quality. Not that LS2 isn’t an improvement over LS1, but it still may not be providing what people are looking for.

Some people like the LS format, others want expansions. But it’s ANet with their jobs on the line, so I figure they’re going to do what they think works best. We’ll see where that goes.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

ANet may say that GW2 is the most frequently updated MMO on the market, and perhaps that’s true. But when you compare the updates by the amount of content, it’s becoming increasingly clear that it’s not close to measuring up.

In other words, GW2 updates are quantity over quality. Not that LS2 isn’t an improvement over LS1, but it still may not be providing what people are looking for.

Some people like the LS format, others want expansions. But it’s ANet with their jobs on the line, so I figure they’re going to do what they think works best. We’ll see where that goes.

But you’re assuming they’re not working on an expansion too. I’m not making that assumption.

Posted by: floude.5291

floude.5291

The only thing that i can say about an expansion: Anet please don’t make one.
The game is far beyond mediocre, pvp is not competitive and no one really cares your competitive tournments (look at the twitch watch numbers). In turn you don’t really care for pvp (especially wvwvw) too. Even if i want to do some wvwvw i collide with imbalance barrier, and log of immediately (still didn’t changed OP abilities that everyone can see).
In Pve there is no real content but saving some collectibles which does not really make a change whether you build them or not. Dungeons has same repetitive stacking behaviour and world bosses are not so unique when compared the other games. Actually game is like a wardrobe simulator, nothing more.
The story and lore is especially pathetic in my opinion. It’s not a groundbreaking story and you can find a band of races which everyone has one class to represent, actually only difference of your band of heroes is the leader has no sense of leading and makes no real sense of epicness. Even the big bad dragon killed by a ship not the leader itself, nice difference from other games…
Just like I said in the beginning, don’t release an expansion because if you do, i won’t buy it and only thing that makes me stay in the not being have to pay you money for the game time. After the expansion i’ll lose my ability to stand in the same ground with other people and this is gonna make me uninstal the game and never come back. Especially a while there is a lot of good games to play around.

Vayne.8563

The game is far beyond mediocre, pvp is not competitive and no one really cares your competitive tournments (look at the twitch watch numbers). In turn you don’t really care for pvp (especially wvwvw) too. Even if i want to do some wvwvw i collide with imbalance barrier, and log of immediately (still didn’t changed OP abilities that everyone can see).
In Pve there is no real content but saving some collectibles which does not really make a change whether you build them or not. Dungeons has same repetitive stacking behaviour and world bosses are not so unique when compared the other games. Actually game is like a wardrobe simulator, nothing more.
The story and lore is especially pathetic in my opinion. It’s not a groundbreaking story and you can find a band of races which everyone has one class to represent, actually only difference of your band of heroes is the leader has no sense of leading and makes no real sense of epicness. Even the big bad dragon killed by a ship not the leader itself, nice difference from other games…
Just like I said in the beginning, don’t release an expansion because if you do, i won’t buy it and only thing that makes me stay in the not being have to pay you money for the game time. After the expansion i’ll lose my ability to stand in the same ground with other people and this is gonna make me uninstal the game and never come back. Especially a while there is a lot of good games to play around.

So the people who do like the game shouldn’t have an expansion because you don’t like the game? I’m not sure what kind of logic that is.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t understand the ‘all dungeons are is stack and whatever’ comments. If someone doesn’t like to ‘stack and whatever’, why don’t they create a group for a dungeon, and ask for people that don’t want to ‘stack and whatever’? Seems like an answer to the problem to me. Maybe I’m odd, though.

I, also, don’t understand how people are so prescient about the Feature Patch. So far, they have only explained one of the 13 days of releases. Might be some interesting things coming.

There is always so much blackmail here….“if ArenaNet doesn’t do (insert demand here), I’m quitting!”. Sigh. The Devs must look like bobble-heads with all the head-shaking that must go on.

Posted by: TheMaskedGamer.5708

TheMaskedGamer.5708

Dude, its only been 2 years. The game is still very young, and considering what has happened these last 2 years, they did a lot of stuff to improve the game overall. They still have a lot of work to do obviously, but I think there progress is pretty good so far. A little slow I’ll admit, but hey, its still progress. Give them another year and we’ll probably get all the stuff you keep complaining needlessly about.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I don’t understand the ‘all dungeons are is stack and whatever’ comments. If someone doesn’t like to ‘stack and whatever’, why don’t they create a group for a dungeon, and ask for people that don’t want to ‘stack and whatever’? Seems like an answer to the problem to me. Maybe I’m odd, though.

I, also, don’t understand how people are so prescient about the Feature Patch. So far, they have only explained one of the 13 days of releases. Might be some interesting things coming.

There is always so much blackmail here….“if ArenaNet doesn’t do (insert demand here), I’m quitting!”. Sigh. The Devs must look like bobble-heads with all the head-shaking that must go on.

How about them releasing the entirety of the feature pack instead of draggin’ it out for a week and a half? How about they clarify what’s up with the commander tag? How about they fix the stacking in dungeons or the exploited paths? How about they focus on stuff they talk about instead of patch-working things in? And really, at this point, let’s put the living story to bed, yeah it’s gotten better, but really, 2 weeks of waiting for an hours worth of gameplay is hardly something to gawk at.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How ’bout they keep it up and awake for all those that enjoy it? How ’bout they use the methods of information dissemination for Feature Patches that they feel elicits the most interest? How ’bout you wait for the Commander Tag release day for clarification?

Geez, we can all play “how ’bout”. =)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

The feature packs I’ve seen haven’t solved the main central crippling issues this game has had for 2 years now. It’s not addressed the serious issues and generally is the UI version of the LS fluff we’re seeing. Some of the patches updates like the traits has killed playing alts, STILL not seen a feature patch fix patch yet. This game has lots and lots of problems and being ADHD about a color of the commander tag won’t fix those problems. We’ll see I don’t think it will be anything to write home about though personally.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Vayne.8563

How about them releasing the entirety of the feature pack instead of draggin’ it out for a week and a half? How about they clarify what’s up with the commander tag? How about they fix the stacking in dungeons or the exploited paths? How about they focus on stuff they talk about instead of patch-working things in? And really, at this point, let’s put the living story to bed, yeah it’s gotten better, but really, 2 weeks of waiting for an hours worth of gameplay is hardly something to gawk at.

Actually if they put the living story to bed, I might lose interest in this game. That’s the problem for asking for stuff like that. I could care less about dungeons, but I don’t ask that Anet never make another dungeon.

The Living Story is the one of the things about this game that sets it apart from other games. Some people like it. If you don’t, don’t ask for them to stop making it. Just ask for them to add what you like.

As far as how they release info…I say they should do it in a way that most profits the game and company. Throwing it all out there means nothing to look forward to for three weeks. And if you think people aren’t looking forward to it…many are.

floude.5291

So the people who do like the game shouldn’t have an expansion because you don’t like the game? I’m not sure what kind of logic that is.

Do loss of people like me can be compensated by satisfaction and spending money like yours? Dunno, Anet have to think about these losses and gains.

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

I see the general forums haven’t changed one bit since about a month after launch.

A lot of people like the game and are happy with the model and direction they have chosen. I’ve tried every MMO on the market and I -always- come back to this one. I love the living story. I finally “got it” in regards to Guild Wars when I played the Scarlet saga. I had a lot of fun! I love the cute holiday events, the design of the world, the questing design, the events, going around killing World Bosses, WvW, sPvP… I enjoy all of it. My favorite thing though? Living story!

Recently I tried Wildstar. You know, that game that’s all about END GAME and GEAR PROGRESSION and all the things the people on this forum are always kittening on about? That one?

I left after two months and -gasp- here I am! Back in Tyria! Leveling yet another character and having fun.

People need to get some perspective. A lot of people enjoy this game and its unique direction. A lot of us have done the raiding thing, the arena pvp thing, the log in for “sanctioned gaming time” 4 nights a week thing… and we’re over it… and we’re happy here. A lot of people just like this game. Get over it.

What they do is more than enough. Could things be better? Of course. But show me -anything- in life that couldnt’ possibly be better. The difference is that the people on most video game forums are glass half empty people.

I don’t need “twitch viewers” or pop culture madness to validate my game of choice. I don’t need to be assured by legions of the lowest common denominator that my game of choice is “SO AWESOME.” I’d prefer those people to stay in games like WoW, which were clearly designed for a mass market. Nothing wrong with that.

The mass market has their playground, the hardcore MMO gamer have their playground again via Wildstar, the plotting social climbers have their playground in EVE.

Can we please have our playground in Tyria without all you try-hards coming on here spouting on about “Twitch viewer numbers” and your own lack of imagination in regards to what to occupy yourself with in game?

“All is Vain…”

(edited by Milkduds.7109)

phys.7689

for those who say how do i know everyone is upset, i never said that, i said many people, or people meaning a bunch of people, i also stated my opinion. I dont think everyone shares my opinion, but i feel its a decent amount.

Im not even knocking the LS and the feature packs, but im saying, if this is indiciative of what we can expect for the future, it wont be enough to keep me, and a number of other players engaged.

As far as saying what i want? new maps, new proffessions, new zones, new weapons new game modes, new challenges etc.

I will rescind slightly though, because upon looking at the page, i thought they had given titles for all the content, but some says coming soon. So it is theoretically possible that the ones that are unrevealed are gold.

hopefully so, because in truth the game has a lot of potential, and a lot of good traits. But its now pretty stagnant. And much of the recently released stuff doesnt seem to be reinvigorating the game.

Posted by: Milkduds.7109

Milkduds.7109

for those who say how do i know everyone is upset, i never said that, i said many people, or people meaning a bunch of people, i also stated my opinion. I dont think everyone shares my opinion, but i feel its a decent amount.

Im not even knocking the LS and the feature packs, but im saying, if this is indiciative of what we can expect for the future, it wont be enough to keep me, and a number of other players engaged.

As far as saying what i want? new maps, new proffessions, new zones, new weapons new game modes, new challenges etc.

I will rescind slightly though, because upon looking at the page, i thought they had given titles for all the content, but some says coming soon. So it is theoretically possible that the ones that are unrevealed are gold.

hopefully so, because in truth the game has a lot of potential, and a lot of good traits. But its now pretty stagnant. And much of the recently released stuff doesnt seem to be reinvigorating the game.

I don’t think you’ll find anyone who doesn’t want those things. Everyone, in theory, does want more content. After all, it means more things to do. Everyone wins.

The difference is that we’re not all foot stamping and threatening to leave the game along with this unknown mass of other people who aren’t satisfied either.

If you’re not happy with the game right now… then leave! You’ve lost no money on a subscription, and in the event that something catches your eye here it is as easy as re-installing and jumping back in. No $15 to risk.

What more could you ask for in the event of wanting to give a game another shot? I’m always going off to check out new things then coming back, and Guild Wars’ design is welcoming and encouraging of that.

I have no doubt they will be releasing more stuff in the coming year. They care about this game and they obviously have confidence in their vision for it. I wouldn’t be too worried about them just leaving the game in the cold. This game is a success whether X-fire or Twitch or w/e else other dubious metric no one over 25 cares about says so or not.

The game is in a constant state of development just like every other MMO. Go talk to the WoW crowd. They’ve been doing the same raid for over a year now, and with the way some of them act, you’d think Blizzard has just stopped developing entirely and they weren’t getting a new expansion in a few months. Glass half empty.

“All is Vain…”

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I can’t tell you over the past two years how many times during a vague event announcement or upgrade announcement I was hopeful like so many other engineers that finally at long last the simplest of requests would finally be fixed only to find out that they either made the class worse than before or that they went completely overboard with a “balance decision” like with Kit Refinement or the multiple nerfs to Grenade Kit. I won’t be holding my breath. There’s an entire list of things in multiple threads I posted a while back that they are free to read in their archive if they want me back or want my cash they’ll do it. Simple really.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

I haven’t even done LS2 yet – I was hoping for more zones to be opened, but when all w got was Dry Top, I was disappointed.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

This the beauty of GW2… tons of ppl have bought the game, and a good deal of them have left, BUT they can just as easily come back with a click of a button when(if) anet adds the things that are missing to hold ppls interest.

There’s obviously a very healthy number of players currently playing, but it can be MUCH higher because the MMO market just isn’t that great and anet has the key – No sub to play, free content updates.

GW2 sold millions, but millions aren’t playing this game (talking strictly NA+EU here) …that much I can speculate.

Plenty are happy with the current state of the game, but like every game, it can be much better, and with GW2, the potential is very high. xpac like content has to happen, its in the best interest of anet, financially speaking… you aren’t going to lose players, only gain if you add the things that left many players to “take a break” from this game..

Me and most of my guildies have been “taking a break” for the past 6+ months because what holds our interest, and many others, is WvW/PvP… both of these systems have been badly neglected for a while…until anet actually does something about it, we will continue to take a break.. but the nice thing is we can still team up every now and then and run some tPvP or roam around in WvW as a group.. but its just gotten so stale and boring with the little attention WvW/PvP recieves in this game..

(edited by SkiTz.4590)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I haven’t even done LS2 yet – I was hoping for more zones to be opened, but when all w got was Dry Top, I was disappointed.

they said it takes a year to make a map.

Maybe you should start LS2, before asking for MOAR.

munkiman.3068

Actually if they put the living story to bed, I might lose interest in this game. That’s the problem for asking for stuff like that. I could care less about dungeons, but I don’t ask that Anet never make another dungeon.

The Living Story is the one of the things about this game that sets it apart from other games. Some people like it. If you don’t, don’t ask for them to stop making it. Just ask for them to add what you like.

As far as how they release info…I say they should do it in a way that most profits the game and company. Throwing it all out there means nothing to look forward to for three weeks. And if you think people aren’t looking forward to it…many are.

I think, as you said in another thread, they simply don’t communicate. This is troublesome for me since they had such a focus on communication in GW. Well, not a focus, but at least a dedicated person that would at least try. I have no idea how anet works internally.

I think their innovation is top rate, they don’t stick to conventions, but that’s when you really need to explain to customers your goals, your focus, but that simple doesn’t happen. The commander tag for me, is one of those huge, gaping wounds they need to patch NOW. They cannot use gamescom as an excuse, for either the info getting out (without detail) or that they can’t explain to the consumer, the reasons or clarify the decision with them. We do expect a higher standard, but anet set that bar, they had CDI’s they were more upfront with changes in the past, it’s not amazingly complex to think players wouldn’t expect that going forward. Just like they pigeon-holed themselves into the living world. You can’t turn back now, it’s sink or swim. If i based a decision of continuing to play entirely based on forum feedback, i’d have quit post BLC fiasco, and a number of people did.

They really are kitten ed if they do or kitten ed if they don’t, but, pick a side already and stick to it.

Posted by: ipan.4356

ipan.4356

This the beauty of GW2… tons of ppl have bought the game, and a good deal of them have left, BUT they can just as easily come back with a click of a button when(if) anet adds the things that are missing to hold ppls interest.

There’s obviously a very healthy number of players currently playing, but it can be MUCH higher because the MMO market just isn’t that great and anet has the key – No sub to play, free content updates.

GW2 sold millions, but millions aren’t playing this game (talking strictly NA+EU here) …that much I can speculate.

Plenty are happy with the current state of the game, but like every game, it can be much better, and with GW2, the potential is very high. xpac like content has to happen, its in the best interest of anet, financially speaking… you aren’t going to lose players, only gain if you add the things that left many players to “take a break” from this game..

Me and most of my guildies have been “taking a break” for the past 6+ months because what holds our interest, and many others, is WvW/PvP… both of these systems have been badly neglected for a while…until anet actually does something about it, we will continue to take a break.. but the nice thing is we can still team up every now and then and run some tPvP or roam around in WvW as a group.. but its just gotten so stale and boring with the little attention WvW/PvP recieves in this game..

The thing is – once there’s something new to explore – say, Star Citizen – I probably won’t be back, because it’s not worth the time.

This is how MMO’s die.

munkiman.3068

I can’t tell you over the past two years how many times during a vague event announcement or upgrade announcement I was hopeful like so many other engineers that finally at long last the simplest of requests would finally be fixed only to find out that they either made the class worse than before or that they went completely overboard with a “balance decision” like with Kit Refinement or the multiple nerfs to Grenade Kit. I won’t be holding my breath. There’s an entire list of things in multiple threads I posted a while back that they are free to read in their archive if they want me back or want my cash they’ll do it. Simple really.

Same thing for mesmers… Same thing with based blink. lightning flash skills, same thing with a bunch of things they need to fix. But they say their focus is on improving core gameplay. Then there focus is on enhancing WvW, or PvP, which is also affected by “core gameplay”. Enough already, get your ducks in a row, focus on fixing your core issues instead of turning the out living world content, if that’s what your saying your doing. Stuff is broken, almost every game i played that had an out-of-range deal had a limit to how far you can go with it, not the “out of range” pop-up or red circle anet uses.

We can and should demand these things, it’s lazy programming and if anet wants to be held to a higher standard, then they need to fix this stuff. If you’re going to do CDI’s then make them be something other that wasted space on the forums or say that simply can’t happen.

Vayne.8563

Do loss of people like me can be compensated by satisfaction and spending money like yours? Dunno, Anet have to think about these losses and gains.

Yep, I think Anet has a very close eye on numbers. They have lots and lots of metrics. I know this for a fact, not a guess.

So when they make decisions that push the living world, I have to assume there’s a reason for that decision. They didn’t fail with it last year and suddenly put more into it this year.

Posted by: saye.9304

saye.9304

billizard announced a yearly expansion for wow, yep that is true, world of warcraft gonna have expansion every year.
that is very sweet deal and might bring back ex-players to wow. and if wow do it that game will remain one of the best and top mmos for who knows maybe another 10 years.
about gw2 tho, i am not sure about future of this game, with new mmos coming out every year, probably small dedicated community will keep it alive but it wont be among top mmos if anet continue this way with their LS stuff and no expansion in sight.

Vayne.8563

billizard announced a yearly expansion for wow, yep that is true, world of warcraft gonna have expansion every year.
that is very sweet deal and might bring back ex-players to wow. and if wow do it that game will remain one of the best and top mmos for who knows maybe another 10 years.
about gw2 tho, i am not sure about future of this game, with new mmos coming out every year, probably small dedicated community will keep it alive but it wont be among top mmos if anet continue this way with their LS stuff and no expansion in sight.

ESO came out and everyone said it was going to be the end of GW 2. ESO wasn’t only not the end but it’s not doing nearly as well as people thought it would. Wildstar came out and everyone said it had a much better end game and eveyrone would be playing it. Wildstar isn’t doing all that well, if the numbers from the NCsoft quarterly report are anything to go on.

People said it about Neverwinter, they said it about FF…it still hasn’t happened.

It’s nice to say stuff like this, but the evidence really isn’t there to support it.

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Vayne, I don’t mean any disrespect by asking this, but didn’t you quit the forums earlier this year?

If I remember correctly you made a big post about how awful these forums were, or something along those lines. How come you’re back?

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Numbers, numbers, and numbers. Is that all anet is playing?

Seems like it! You can only catch some of the people you want to please with this “whack-a-mole” way upper anet is running this game.

Like Vayne is saying, “where’s the communication?” It’s like anet has built a fortress around themselves, where only a “little mailbox slot of player concerns” filter through.

Seriously all the hype and the feature pack itself is nothing more than a smokescreen to cover the “more unpleasant” parts of GW2. The veterans get up and leave, unable to deal with their pent up frustration of being in the game, as it is, and then having to see these “updates” claiming to “change the game” do nothing of the sort.

Worst thing to me is that as the veterans go new players come in aware of the broken classes, dungeons, game modes, etc. and continue on knowing nothing…

As for me, GW2 is just a hangout for WvW. But since anet is constantly swirling wvw in the toilet, I might not be around long anyways.

Devona’s Rest

floude.5291

Yep, I think Anet has a very close eye on numbers. They have lots and lots of metrics. I know this for a fact, not a guess.

So when they make decisions that push the living world, I have to assume there’s a reason for that decision. They didn’t fail with it last year and suddenly put more into it this year.

They didn’t fail at their first year (the game was still “new”), don’t forget this. People were playing no matter what for the first year and now while there are other mmos which look quite good, they can’t continue acting like this. Also, Wow is coming…

Vayne.8563

Vayne, I don’t mean any disrespect by asking this, but didn’t you quit the forums earlier this year?

If I remember correctly you made a big post about how awful these forums were, or something along those lines. How come you’re back?

Because some people who usually disagreed with me often asked me to come back. I worked out some differences with some people.

Vayne.8563

They didn’t fail at their first year (the game was still “new”), don’t forget this. People were playing no matter what for the first year and now while there are other mmos which look quite good, they can’t continue acting like this. Also, Wow is coming…

WoW is coming? You mean it hasn’t been here the whole time. Of course WoW is coming. Do you know what. Mists of Pandaria launched 1 month after Guild Wars 2 launched. WoW already came. It happened already.

If you like WoW and lots of people do, you’re liking playing it. If you don’t like WoW and plenty of people don’t it doesn’t matter how many expansions came out for it. If Blizzard gave me WoW for free, with a free lifetime subscription I wouldn’t waste my time downloading it, or the space on my hard drive storing it. I don’t like the game, PERIOD. It’s not for me.

This game is. There are enough people out there who DO like this game who won’t be going to WoW because they don’t like that game. There are entire pages devoted on the web to people who hate WoW, including many who used to play WoW. WoW is coming.

Big, fat, hairy deal.

floude.5291

WoW is coming? You mean it hasn’t been here the whole time. Of course WoW is coming. Do you know what. Mists of Pandaria launched 1 month after Guild Wars 2 launched. WoW already came. It happened already.

If you like WoW and lots of people do, you’re liking playing it. If you don’t like WoW and plenty of people don’t it doesn’t matter how many expansions came out for it. If Blizzard gave me WoW for free, with a free lifetime subscription I wouldn’t waste my time downloading it, or the space on my hard drive storing it. I don’t like the game, PERIOD. It’s not for me.

This game is. There are enough people out there who DO like this game who won’t be going to WoW because they don’t like that game. There are entire pages devoted on the web to people who hate WoW, including many who used to play WoW. WoW is coming.

Big, fat, hairy deal.

You don’t get it. I don’t like wow too (since cataclysm) and I won’t play it too, but a certain mass wants to play it and you can’t deny this. Still wow is going to steal bunch of players from all the mmorpgs. And Gw2 is one of them, don’t think Gw2 is so special. It just a game mate. Why do I have to frustrated in a game which does not really try to fulfill its own capacity to be good but can’t be more then just mediocre?
And you don’t get the part the game is getting older. We waited to see Gw2 to get older and wiser but in the end what we got? There are still tons of incomplete things in the game and tons of things that really not thought about it but released (look at the trait system, just look at it). I can’t really wait Gw2 to be more adult or wiser. I am not a test tool for them, if they want me to play their game and keep spending money, they have to give me content too, do i have to play? No. Do i want to play? If it’s gonna be a balance in game and a good pvp (A COMPETITIVE PVP) i want to play, yes. Why do i talk? I talk because game is dying on my eyes and developers just killing it cluelessly. Just look at here: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Seriously-massive-marketing-fail

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Floude, you say that the developers are killing the game, and I say they are making it better by the day.

Your opinion is not superior to everyone else’s.

Vayne.8563

@floud

I disagree. I think WoW is past it’s useby date. A couple of years ago it had 12.4 million subscribers. It’s down to almost half that now. They’ve lost half their player base. Many of those people will never come back.

If WOW went free to play it would be another story, but many people don’t like paying subs. Many don’t like cartoony graphics. Many don’t like the old engine or static quests. Many don’t like reading text, because not enough of it is voiced.

Frankly, of all the new MMOs coming out, WoW is the least of my worries.

As for Guild Wars 2 being great… it’s not great. It’s just better than anything else out there for my play style. That may last, it may not last. But WoW will never be of any interest to me, or players like me. Not ever.

Posted by: Ele Lady.6103

Ele Lady.6103

Why do people constantly compare GW 2 to other games, mostly WoW and GW 1(which, in first place, wasn’t even an mmo)
“But this game got over 9000 content in 2 years. Why do we only get 6000 content?”
Because every game is a different. Some games allow for faster developing of content than others.

Also, think of yourself doing some important schoolwork. Then people start gathering behind your back all trying to tell you how you should do your schoolwork.
Now think a game developer doing his developing. He reads the forums full of messages telling him how he should do his job.
Now try to put yourself in that situation and think for a second if people behind your shoulder constantly telling you how to do something is helping you do anything.

floude.5291

Floude, you say that the developers are killing the game, and I say they are making it better by the day.

Of course it’s not. Don’t get me wrong i like the game too my concern is the quality of the game, they’re making the game better just for the one side of the game.

@Ele, you, milady, are overlooking the term called ‘feedback’. They want it and they need it. A consumer has the right to tell what he think or feel about the product, for further information about capitalism here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZozthpLBUs

@Vayne, you still defending the game by only looking at the game from your point of playing. I concur, the game went your side too long that make pvp people feel like ignored and they left the game on its own, see the twitch channel’s pvp videos and see how much hit they get everytime they cast a pvp event.

Vayne.8563

Of course it’s not. Don’t get me wrong i like the game too my concern is the quality of the game, they’re making the game better just for the one side of the game.

@Ele, you, milady, are overlooking the term called ‘feedback’. They want it and they need it. A consumer has the right to tell what he think or feel about the product, for further information about capitalism here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZozthpLBUs

@Vayne, you still defending the game by only looking at the game from your point of playing. I concur, the game went your side too long that make pvp people feel like ignored and they left the game on its own, see the twitch channel’s pvp videos and see how much hit they get everytime they cast a pvp event.

Dude, why must you jump on the I’m defending the game bandwagon. Saying I don’t think the new WoW is going to hurt this game isn’t defending the game. It’s insulting WoW. There are games out there, which I won’t list, that have far more potential to pull people from this game. WoW. Not an issue. I truly believe that.

I give constructive feedback when it’s needed. I just don’t see WoW as a threat.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So funny. Some people comment on how the Devs give all the attention to PvP. Some say all the attention is on PvE.

I’m not sure what draws me here. Sigh.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

All attention on PvP? WvW? Care to back it up with anything?
This game is not focused on either of those, even though they’re claiming to be making sPvP an e-Sport, it just won’t happen.
GW2’s main focus is PvE. It’s where the real money is. It’s where the people spend the most on gems, not the WvW or sPvP, thus the lack of development and frequent updates, balancing on these parts of the game.

As someone who doesn’t even touch Living Story, I personally, don’t feel like this game has added anything significant and new to this game this year.

I guess at this point, people are already starting to realize what GW2 is and what it wont be.

With few and far between updates people are already losing interest. The waiting is too long for WvW and SvP.

(edited by Nick.6972)

Naus the Gobbo.5172

With few and far between updates people are already losing interest. The waiting is too long for WvW and SvP.

Whaat? Dude, we just got Skyhammer 15 months ago, and Edge of the Mists 7 months ago.

Wouldn’t want to spoil ourselves now, wouldn’t we?

phys.7689

Why do people constantly compare GW 2 to other games, mostly WoW and GW 1(which, in first place, wasn’t even an mmo)
“But this game got over 9000 content in 2 years. Why do we only get 6000 content?”
Because every game is a different. Some games allow for faster developing of content than others.

Also, think of yourself doing some important schoolwork. Then people start gathering behind your back all trying to tell you how you should do your schoolwork.
Now think a game developer doing his developing. He reads the forums full of messages telling him how he should do his job.
Now try to put yourself in that situation and think for a second if people behind your shoulder constantly telling you how to do something is helping you do anything.

if you are making a game, you should compare yourself to every other game you know of. Because you are competing with all of them. This doesnt mean you become them, but they are real.

As for the student doing his homework. They are not students, and this is not homework. They are creating something to sell to a certain group of people. Those people looking over their shoulders telling em what they want may be annoying, but they are the ones he is trying to sell the item to, so their opinions do actually matter.

That said, if i felt like what they were doing was a winning strategy, i wouldnt comment.

Point of this thread, is if this is essentially what the current content release plan will bring, its just not really enough. So IF this was supposed to be the overall strategy, i think they need a new one.

Vayne.8563

if you are making a game, you should compare yourself to every other game you know of. Because you are competing with all of them. This doesnt mean you become them, but they are real.

As for the student doing his homework. They are not students, and this is not homework. They are creating something to sell to a certain group of people. Those people looking over their shoulders telling em what they want may be annoying, but they are the ones he is trying to sell the item to, so their opinions do actually matter.

That said, if i felt like what they were doing was a winning strategy, i wouldnt comment.

Point of this thread, is if this is essentially what the current content release plan will bring, its just not really enough. So IF this was supposed to be the overall strategy, i think they need a new one.

I almost agree with you. However there are values in certain comparisons more than other comparisons. I wouldn’t compare this game to chess or football, for example. I wouldn’t compare it to league of legends. The problem with all comparison is how you interpret it.

Someone comes along and says, well Guild Wars 1 had more skills and more build variety. Undoubtedly true. But that doesn’t tell the whole story. Guild Wars 1 was impossible for the devs to balance. A lot of the skills were relatively useless. It was a lot of creation time for skills a minority of players used. You see the same thing in Guild Wars 2, but it was more pronounced in Guild Wars 1. You also have the problem of people who are more casual simply not being able to invest enough time/energy in it to figure it out. Nor not willing to go that far, which limits how many people will play your game. None of this comes out in just comparing the build diversity or skill numbers in the two games.

And of course, older games that are older are sometimes enshrined in our memories. We feel about them differently than we would if we came upon them now. There are movies I saw when I was younger that I thought were great. Those same movies are now pedestrian.

Comparisons are sometimes good and sometimes bad. Feedback is the same.

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

I believe the “hard to balance” justification for GW1’s skill system holds little value at this time, when it is proven that the current systems are not bringing any better results.

At the very least, the higher customisation in GW1 allowed players to adapt better to the nature of the content. If GW1 had a zerker problem like GW2 has, who knows how many builds would be created around maximizing damage while still offering non-stat support and control? Even if, ultimately, the community made “best” builds for each class, they would probably be more diverse, funnier and less flawed than simply going zerker gear and picking the best weapons for pve environment.

Besides, we can see a change in paradigm regarding that in MMOs. EQNext is also offering a very customisable system inspired by MTG, not unlike GW1 did before it. And when EQ’s devs asked about balance, they said: “we don’t care, the first priority is to make it fun”, which is a complete reversal (and failure) of GW2’s design for the system.

Anet sacrificed the fun of customisation for the sake of the fun of a more balancing system, but where is the balance? We, the playerbase, ended up getting neither. It was, therefore, a failure to one of their (and the genre’s) core mechanics.

Any comparison to GW1 is interesting, because GW1’s systems were much more difficult to balance, had more pronounced flaws, yet they worked and completely defined that game. While GW2’s skill system is generally bland, forgottable and not talked about (except negatively). You don’t see anyone out there praising GW2’s skill system, because there’s nothing to praise about it. Its strongest advantage was barely acchieved.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Don’t forget GW1 had much more frequent balance updates.
Meta was hardly stale during the prime of the game.
I really don’t get why the balance updates are so infrequent in GW2 given the number of developers and game designers working at Arena Net now compared to then.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

New maps, new professions, new skills or new ways to gain gold wont do the trick. It will interest people a while, as long as it stickied as “new”. But once this feeling fades, it will be as boring as the rest is. There are fundamental flaws in this game, cracks in the footing of this game, as well as QoL flaws. One fundamental flaw is the missing depth of the AI. The whole PvE is plain easy and holds no variety. Another fundamental flaw is the missing purpose of the normal PvE maps and events. Why is barely anyone in maps like Snowden Drifts? Because there is nothing to do other than exploring the map once. Even maps that have multiple reasons to go back like Caledon Forest have that problem. Some are there to do the Jumping Puzzles, some do the Jungle Wurm, some want to do Twilight Arbor. But noone goes to the Caledon Forest to beat the champion troll in the north or to help the Hylek or to drive back the Skritt or to protect the Silent from the Nightmare Court. There are not enough events out there, the existing ones get repeated too often and the general lack of rewards upon succeeding them greatly hinders the game. The balance in PvP is still an issue and ANet fails to make multiple builds for one class desirable or to even hold all classes on an even power level. WvW also lacks balancing. It is more desirable to lose turrets or camps to recapture them rather than protecting them. The server matchups are unbalanced and diversity is missing.
There are also multiple QoL changes I am still waiting for, like the ability to make the nights in Tyria darker or to be able to choose a soundtrack, the option to load all character models of groupmates or guildmates upon entering a map, so you can already see them far in the distance, better skyboxes or customizable UI.

So all in all I don’t agree with the claim that an expansion will fix the problems the game has, it will only cover them up. But I agree that the existing content has gotten boring and that we need something new. But ANet should not neglect working on the flaws in favor of an expansion.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)