2 feature packs and 1/2 season, not enough

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

stupid assertions

Well… i’m again here to waste my time… (i’m really surprised to see so many answers to each of those useless topics… anyway…).

first of all i want to point out 2 rapid things:
1) YOU don’t know everything we can expect from upcoming feature packs… you barely know 2 thinks (pvp, some of them, and commanders changes) on a list of more than 10 points (maybe 15 if there are 5 points per week).
2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_season_2
As gw2 wiki reported, living season started july 1st… and only 1.5 months have passed… so please don’t be ridicolous… 1/2 of living story? you crazy…

Now… in less than 2 months we got:
- 3 living story updates (of course)
- 1 new area + 2 updates on that area… now it is almost big as a normal map
- story journal feature
- dozens of changes in various maps including new events and new areas or destroyed by corruption ones
- elite achievement for extra fun
- and of course new skins in game and from shop and new backs

now if this is not so much in a 1.5 months you are free to leave the game i think that the community will be happier with one less complainer I don’t even know if you realize that those topics are a complete waste of time for the writer, you, for the reader, us and devs, and for those who answer, few of us. Please go play with barbie and live each day a new adventure.

someone already said your first point, and i said, my bad, didnt notice they had more unlocks, if they add great stuff, i will rescind, if most is in line with what we have seen, it will stand.
as for it being 1/2 season, they said its mid season break, the implication is that its in the middle, but regardless, what we have gotten so far since the first feature pack, has not been enough to keep many people engaged in the game, if you are not one of them thats fine, feel free to state your opinion, its equal opportunity.

Everything else you said, i get it, you hate hearing bad things about things you like, ok

phys.7689

Ugh, I am so tired of these threads. Same kitten, different day.

“It’s not enough”
“This sucks”
“Anet doesn’t know what they’re doing”
“They need to give us mounts, housing, dueling, open world pvp, etc (take your pick)”

You know what, if you don’t like the game, move on.

I get it that some people want it to be this or that, but it’s not and you’re unhappy. You guys aren’t the developers, you aren’t the ones making the game. If you don’t like it, that’s just how it goes. I don’t like Tera, you don’t see me kittening about it on their forums. Not all games are for all people, and sometimes we purchase something that just doesn’t work out.

“But there aren’t any other games out right now”

That’s not Anet’s fault. You need to find something to entertain yourself, and there are a lot of options out there to do that with.

If you keep hearing about the same problems over and over again, instead of ignoring them as complainers, maybe you should say hmm… this keeps popping up, maybe there is some problems here.

The fact that you keep hearing about the same problems in life, generally they tell you to do something about it, not just accept it and let it get worse. But everyone has a different strategy.

As far as the move on thing, no worries, people are doing it with or without your advice. Im slightly different i suppose, in that i want to be sure I can say that i actually tried myself to let them know what i see happening. They can ignore it, decide it doesnt matter, etc, on their own, but i will know that i tried to give them the info on the situation.

Also know, this is a forum, the purpose of a forum is to discuss contentious topics and exchange ideas, What do you expect to be on a forum other than discussions about relevant opinions on the state of the game, pro and con?

If you just want everyone to shut up and not say anything, why go to a forum?

phys.7689

I haven’t even done LS2 yet – I was hoping for more zones to be opened, but when all w got was Dry Top, I was disappointed.

“I wanted more zones to play in, saw they only added one new zone, which isn’t as many as I wanted, so I’m not even going to play it…”

People want expansions. ArenaNet has said that they going to do the Living World instead of an expansion. People still expect expansion-like content. What’s wrong about that?

The Living World focuses around story instead of new maps or new things to do.
Sadly the story is very bad. Many people are not pleased with the outcome and insist that if ANet would’ve done expansions instead, the game would be better.

First, Anet never said living world instead of an expansion and I’m pretty sure we’ll see an expansion next year not this year.

Secondly, I think you should stop talking for most people. You have no idea what most people like. The story is being much better received this time than last time, and there are far fewer complaints about it and far more compliments.

I’m not thinking the story is as bad or as disliked as you claim it is. And I don’t think you can back up your claims about it either.

at one point they did say LS instead of expansion, or rather you could expect expansion like content through living world. They may have changed their minds, or have a new plan, but as far as they have said, we have no current reason to expect an expansion within the next 365 days.

which doesnt mean we wont see one, just means nothing they have said suggests it.

the large projects in background thing was said early on vayne, before they decided to do LS, back when they were still thinking about doing expansions.

As for expansion like content, they have defined many things we have gotten as expansion like, i dont feel like many people agreed with their definition of expansion like.

Plans however may have changed, but everything they have said suggests that expansion is a far off possibility, and the current release plan is how they want to deliver content and update things for the time being.

This is why i felt the need to say, IF this is what we can expect for the future, it is not enough for many people. If, however this is the middle of expansion type content, then it may be fine, as long as the expansion doesnt take 2 years.+

(edited by phys.7689)

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Edit: I just looked through the Living Story section. Very few complaints about bad story. In fact, on the first couple of pages, I pretty much found one thread that said it was bad. The thread is yours. You have a single person in that thread agreeing with you, and another person in that thread who’s complaining about open world content and doesn’t complain about story at all.

I’m pretty sure if the story was so bad and so universally hated you’d have had more of a response.

Hehe, nice try.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/The-Biconics-cannot-carry-the-GW-Franchise/first
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Hello-Orders
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/A-step-in-the-right-direction/first
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Living-Story-Needs-Tragedy/

That are the ones I’ve found and I’m almost certain that I’ve overlooked some threads.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

First, before the Living World first launched a dev clearly said that they’re not working on an expansion but on their Living Story. You wont see an expansion before the Living Story is finished.

To be fair, the dev said that they weren’t working on an expansion at that time. There has been no statement by anyone at Anet that there would never be a boxed expansion. In fact, one of the articles that came out a few months back (might have been with Mike Z, don’t recall now) stated that we would see a boxed expansion in the future. While this might have changed, I’ll reiterate that there has not been any official statement that we would not have boxed expansions.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

phys.7689

First, before the Living World first launched a dev clearly said that they’re not working on an expansion but on their Living Story. You wont see an expansion before the Living Story is finished.

To be fair, the dev said that they weren’t working on an expansion at that time. There has been no statement by anyone at Anet that there would never be a boxed expansion. In fact, one of the articles that came out a few months back (might have been with Mike Z, don’t recall now) stated that we would see a boxed expansion in the future. While this might have changed, I’ll reiterate that there has not been any official statement that we would not have boxed expansions.

He didnt say would, he said nothing was off the table, however everything they have said about expansions, suggests that it isnt being worked on, and they prefer to try to deliver content through other means for now.

This may have changed, but at best i would suggest, at this time people take a the stance that expansions are complete unknown, aka dont count on it.

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I don’t want to say they’ll never work on an expansion, and I hope they do work on an expansion. But we wont see one until the Living Story has finished, that’s for sure.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I haven’t even done LS2 yet – I was hoping for more zones to be opened, but when all w got was Dry Top, I was disappointed.

“I wanted more zones to play in, saw they only added one new zone, which isn’t as many as I wanted, so I’m not even going to play it…”

People want expansions. ArenaNet has said that they going to do the Living World instead of an expansion. People still expect expansion-like content. What’s wrong about that?

Sadly the story is very bad. Many people are not pleased with the outcome and insist that if ANet would’ve done expansions instead, the game would be better.

First, Anet never said living world instead of an expansion and I’m pretty sure we’ll see an expansion next year not this year.

Secondly, I think you should stop talking for most people. You have no idea what most people like. The story is being much better received this time than last time, and there are far fewer complaints about it and far more compliments.

I’m not thinking the story is as bad or as disliked as you claim it is. And I don’t think you can back up your claims about it either.

at one point they did say LS instead of expansion, or rather you could expect expansion like content through living world. They may have changed their minds, or have a new plan, but as far as they have said, we have no current reason to expect an expansion within the next 365 days.

which doesnt mean we wont see one, just means nothing they have said suggests it.

the large projects in background thing was said early on vayne, before they decided to do LS, back when they were still thinking about doing expansions.

As for expansion like content, they have defined many things we have gotten as expansion like, i dont feel like many people agreed with their definition of expansion like.

Plans however may have changed, but everything they have said suggests that expansion is a far off possibility, and the current release plan is how they want to deliver content and update things for the time being.

This is why i felt the need to say, IF this is what we can expect for the future, it is not enough for many people. If, however this is the middle of expansion type content, then it may be fine, as long as the expansion doesnt take 2 years.+

Usually you’re pretty factual when you speak and I have a lot of respect for what you say. This time you’re dead wrong. Anet said the thing about the teams in the background working on bigger projects at an interview. Colin spoke about having four teams of people rotating the living story content (so the living story was a thing back then) and he spoke about other teams working on the background on bigger projects, the kind of stuff you’d see in a paid expansion. He said, in that same interview, that they haven’t decided how they wanted to deliver that content, but that it could be through the living story or an expansion.

He also said that if there was going to be another profession it was likely going to be a heavy armor profession.

The stuff people are asking for is being worked on. There’s no question in my mind about it. We see a new zone being slowly introduced in the Living Story now. We saw Edge of the Mists introduced in a Living Story. This is the kind of stuff you do get in an expansion, you just get it at once.

Vayne.8563

I don’t want to say they’ll never work on an expansion, and I hope they do work on an expansion. But we wont see one until the Living Story has finished, that’s for sure.

I don’t think the living story will ever finish. I think it’ll be an ongoing thing and I STILL think they’ll have an expansion, probably between seasons. They’ll just take a break from the story when the expansion comes out.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

How do you know that it’s not enough to keep people playing, or come back?

Do you have a pie-chart where you asked every person that has bought the game, or is this a case of “I don’t like this, therefore no one does”?

I am perfectly happy with the current quantity and quality of the content they produce.
And it’s getting better and better.

This.

Ensure you speak for the majority instead of just for yourself. A large portion of people that come to the forums are already jaded/bored with what’s happening in game, while the others are..

yknow..

playing.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

If you keep hearing about the same problems over and over again, instead of ignoring them as complainers, maybe you should say hmm… this keeps popping up, maybe there is some problems here.

The fact that you keep hearing about the same problems in life, generally they tell you to do something about it, not just accept it and let it get worse. But everyone has a different strategy.

As far as the move on thing, no worries, people are doing it with or without your advice. Im slightly different i suppose, in that i want to be sure I can say that i actually tried myself to let them know what i see happening. They can ignore it, decide it doesnt matter, etc, on their own, but i will know that i tried to give them the info on the situation.

Also know, this is a forum, the purpose of a forum is to discuss contentious topics and exchange ideas, What do you expect to be on a forum other than discussions about relevant opinions on the state of the game, pro and con?

We heard for years and years that GW1 was bad. That it sucked. That it was going to die. Etc, etc. Yet it’s still kicking. Just because there are complaints (repeatedly) doesn’t mean something is wrong overall necessarily. It just means that one size really doesn’t suit all, especially in the case of games, and that’s really what we’re seeing here in a lot of cases. (Not all, but many).

While it is all well and good to come to a forum to offer feedback, people need to understand that the devs aren’t going to necessarily take everything we as players recommend as “must do, must add” features. We aren’t the developers. We don’t know where they are taking the game, what the final vision is. Just because we “think” something is right for the game because that’s how we play, doesn’t mean it necessarily is. Maybe it doesn’t fit in their grand scheme, so they don’t do it. Then we start seeing the repeated “this sucks” “they dont know wtf they are doing” “this game is going to die” threads. As I said, it really is as simple as not all games are for all people. A lot of people like the game, a lot of people do not.

It is nice that we do have some influence on the game with our suggestions, but people also need to understand just how much time some of their “simple” suggestions actually take to code and test. People seem to think that development is easy, and it’s not. Especially on this large a scale. I welcome people to go try their hand at it. In the mean time we get threads like this one, kittening that it’s not enough. That LS takes up too much of the team, when the LS team consists of 20 people out of 300+.

When they do try to give us content more often (which we have to admit is one of the biggest kittenes with every game), we slap them in the face. Its not good enough. The story sucks. Its buggy. “Quality over quantity” Then those exact same people kitten when they don’t get anything new for a few months.

Anet is in a lose / lose scenario trying to cater to these types of people. While yes, the game has it’s issues, and yes content cannot be developed as fast as people consume it, that doesn’t necessarily mean they are doing something wrong necessarily. Yes, they provide an entertainment service, in the form of a game; however, it is up to the player to find their enjoyment within what is offered, or not, as they choose. It is not on Anet’s shoulders to hold the players hand and spoon feed the game to them as everyone finds different things enjoyable and entertaining. If the person cannot find their enjoyment factor within what is being offered (either now or in future additions), then perhaps the game just isn’t for them. That’s just how it is and people just refuse to understand that.

phys.7689

Usually you’re pretty factual when you speak and I have a lot of respect for what you say. This time you’re dead wrong. Anet said the thing about the teams in the background working on bigger projects at an interview. Colin spoke about having four teams of people rotating the living story content (so the living story was a thing back then) and he spoke about other teams working on the background on bigger projects, the kind of stuff you’d see in a paid expansion. He said, in that same interview, that they haven’t decided how they wanted to deliver that content, but that it could be through the living story or an expansion.

He also said that if there was going to be another profession it was likely going to be a heavy armor profession.

The stuff people are asking for is being worked on. There’s no question in my mind about it. We see a new zone being slowly introduced in the Living Story now. We saw Edge of the Mists introduced in a Living Story. This is the kind of stuff you do get in an expansion, you just get it at once.

i may be wrong but from what I remember they essentially said at the time of LS that no expansions were being worked on, and that expansion like content would be released through living story.
Before LS, they said they had people working on big projects and they werent sure how they were going to introduce them, whether through expansions or releases.

However this was all a long time ago, and many of the sources would be difficult to find now, so I concede my memory may be off on the matter

LanfearShadowflame.3189

From the comments made in the twitch stream about the journal, I don’t believe there are any plans for the LS to finish. They referred to it as a “never ending story.” However, I can easily see them using LS to lay the ground work (like it’s doing now) for the next storyline of an expansion. LS would still continue after the expansion is launched, but it would take our characters on ‘side quests’ so to speak, while the main plot continued through the expansion content. After ‘x’ amount of time the LS swings back to build up to the next expansion story line, etc and so on. Will they actually do this? Don’t know, but I think it’d be an excellent approach to appeasing both crowds.

Posted by: Khang.6743

Khang.6743

By people, he means him and his friends lol..

Posted by: Linnea.5146

Linnea.5146

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I really like the new LS season. It’s much, much better than the previous one so far, and it makes me want to keep playing. It’s also nice to see another feature pack, I’m curious about the upcoming features.

Vayne.8563

i may be wrong but from what I remember they essentially said at the time of LS that no expansions were being worked on, and that expansion like content would be released through living story.
Before LS, they said they had people working on big projects and they werent sure how they were going to introduce them, whether through expansions or releases.

However this was all a long time ago, and many of the sources would be difficult to find now, so I concede my memory may be off on the matter

If you really want I could probably find the video link to the interview for you.

phys.7689

We heard for years and years that GW1 was bad. That it sucked. That it was going to die. Etc, etc. Yet it’s still kicking. Just because there are complaints (repeatedly) doesn’t mean something is wrong overall necessarily. It just means that one size really doesn’t suit all, especially in the case of games, and that’s really what we’re seeing here in a lot of cases. (Not all, but many).

While it is all well and good to come to a forum to offer feedback, people need to understand that the devs aren’t going to necessarily take everything we as players recommend as “must do, must add” features. We aren’t the developers. We don’t know where they are taking the game, what the final vision is. Just because we “think” something is right for the game because that’s how we play, doesn’t mean it necessarily is. Maybe it doesn’t fit in their grand scheme, so they don’t do it. Then we start seeing the repeated “this sucks” “they dont know wtf they are doing” “this game is going to die” threads. As I said, it really is as simple as not all games are for all people. A lot of people like the game, a lot of people do not.

It is nice that we do have some influence on the game with our suggestions, but people also need to understand just how much time some of their “simple” suggestions actually take to code and test. People seem to think that development is easy, and it’s not. Especially on this large a scale. I welcome people to go try their hand at it. In the mean time we get threads like this one, kittening that it’s not enough. That LS takes up too much of the team, when the LS team consists of 20 people out of 300+.

When they do try to give us content more often (which we have to admit is one of the biggest kittenes with every game), we slap them in the face. Its not good enough. The story sucks. Its buggy. “Quality over quantity” Then those exact same people kitten when they don’t get anything new for a few months.

Anet is in a lose / lose scenario trying to cater to these types of people. While yes, the game has it’s issues, and yes content cannot be developed as fast as people consume it, that doesn’t necessarily mean they are doing something wrong necessarily. Yes, they provide an entertainment service, in the form of a game; however, it is up to the player to find their enjoyment within what is offered, or not, as they choose. It is not on Anet’s shoulders to hold the players hand and spoon feed the game to them as everyone finds different things enjoyable and entertaining. If the person cannot find their enjoyment factor within what is being offered (either now or in future additions), then perhaps the game just isn’t for them. That’s just how it is and people just refuse to understand that.

Im not really saying the game is bad, Im saying many people wont be satisfied if what we have seen up till today is the type of things we should expect for the future. To be clear, i know people who really liked this game, they played it a lot. They want to keep playing, but the content we have been getting, this year in particular, is not doing it for them.

This complaint is slightly different than others because it is actually based on what we have been getting this year, and the current structure of releases, with LS being story driven, and feature pact being QOL improvements and structural changes.

If they dont really act on it, some number of people who actually like gw2 on a basic level will just leave or be not that engaged in the product.

Really though, lets say there is no expansion, and their plan is to have mostly stuff in the vein of what you have seen in LS2, and QOL improvements in feature packs (Some big some small) would that be enough to keep you engaged in the game?

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Assuming what a dev said about how long it takes to build a map (a WvW map anyway), we would be looking at a pretty long time before we see an expansions worth of content, at least as far as maps go. Even if they were working on new maps the whole 2 years, that would equal about 6 new zones tops. We already received EotM, Southsun and Dry Top. One of the devs also mentioned the northern section above wildlands was basically complete before launch, but not enough to release it.

It’s hard saying how much they actually have built. But, with Mordy being the focus right now, i’d say it would be some time before we see an expansions worth of content, at least in the scope of something like Factions or Nightfall.

All eyes are on the feature pack, but it’s off to a rocky start under the weight of the commander tag.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

phys.7689

If you really want I could probably find the video link to the interview for you.

if you want to, it would be good to see, but dont break your back looking for it.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I recall all of that as well. Originally they weren’t sure which way they wanted to deliver all of their content, they were still deciding. I only recall the statement about seeing a boxed expansion because the last I had heard was that they hadn’t decided as well. I thought perhaps it had been a slip of the tongue, and maybe it was since we haven’t heard anything else definitive since.

Still, these is that rumor about an expansion in 2015 due to notes on the earning brief earlier this year, and based on my previous ‘theorycrafting’ that would be right about the right time for one. Yes, it feels late for NA/EU players, but keep in mind that China didn’t launch until May of this year. Also keep in mind that buying to play is a new thing for them. Rushing an expansion out in China would be detrimental, even potentially disastrous, given that they are trying to get players to buy into this new type of play. So, do we get the short end of the stick in that sense, considering they are trying to keep things synced up? Yes, we sure do.

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Well, I only started playing 4 months ago but so far I have to say I’m enjoying the LS. However, I had most fun during the events: The festival of the four winds and The Queen’s gauntlet.

I would love to see more updates for PvE, PvP and WvW like a lot of people here, but so far I’m happy we’re getting new content every two weeks.

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I like where the game is going, but agree that, if what we saw in the last 4 episodes is all they plan to do, then it isn’t enough.

However, unlike alot of the naysayers, I dont believe that they will be limiting themselves to just what we’ve seen in the past few updates.

They obviously put alot of work into two main aspects in the first 4 episodes of season two – those two things being the story instances and a new zone, Drytop.

If over the next 4 episodes, they put the same level of effort into story steps and a new dungeon (with 1 story and 3 explorablepaths) and/or guild missions, then I would be very happy. Then another new zone in the next 4 episodes – then maybe some new fractals in the next 4 – etc, etc.

I think players see them focusing on two aspects and think that is all we have to hope for. I have higher hopes than that. I do not believe they would focus only on story and open world to the full exclusion of 5 player content and world bosses. If they focus efforts, but do not limit themselves to just open world alongside the instanced story steps, then we have alot ot look forward to.

As far as expansions, I still believe they can offer what would normally be in an expansion as part of the ongoing bi-weekly update system they are putting in place. Again, they just cant focus only on open world and story instances (which I dont believe they will).

As for the feature patch, keep in mind that we have only see glimpses of the “competitive” features – there are still the PVE and loot features they havent unveiled.

But. again – to make it crystal clear to anyone from Anet reading – I agree partially with the OP – limiting living story to the instanced storylines and new zones is not a healthy path. Dont forget the dungeon runners and guilds (who DESPERATELY want new guild missions) looking for new content as well.

(edited by Blaeys.3102)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Really though, lets say there is no expansion, and their plan is to have mostly stuff in the vein of what you have seen in LS2, and QOL improvements in feature packs (Some big some small) would that be enough to keep you engaged in the game?

I honestly can’t answer this, because I simply don’t know. There is still a kitten ton of stuff in the game for me to do, even after almost 2 years. Each addition of the LS adds one more thing on the top of that pile. Sure, I get through the story typically in the first week, but I don’t explore it like I’d like to. I just…play through it. I haven’t had the chance to go back and work on achievements. To pick through all the little details. To listen to and speculate on all the conversations (which is something I love to do honestly).

I look forward to the feature patch(es). They come with new things to fiddle with. I’m still working on filling my wardrobe from the last one. I intentionally made new characters to hunt traits with, and I’m not done with that yet.

Maybe it’s just that I don’t play 8 hours a day, but even when I do play all day on weekends, I never find myself lacking something to do. Even if it’s just running the same dungeon 10 times with my guildies. You’d think I’d get bored, but it does’t. I go and I run around EotM, getting my kitten handed to me for hours on end, and I don’t find myself bored (maybe a little flustered). I don’t know, maybe I’m just broken.

Still, it’s unrealistic to think that “this is all we’re going to get.” They’ve told us a lot of things they plan on doing / want to do. They have a whole to do list to work on. I’m sure not all of it will be possible because that’s just how development works. Sure, I’d like to see a new dungeon at some point, but I’d like it done well and have it fit into the storyline too, so I’m not going to hound them about it. I know how much I hate being hounded when I’m working on a project, I can’t imagine that they like it any better.

Maybe I just have more patience….

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Do you have a pie-chart where you asked every person that has bought the game, or is this a case of “I don’t like this, therefore no one does”?

Let’s make a pie chart to reflect the majority’s opinion.
http://strawpoll.me/2368868

A simple little poll on strawpoll (2368868) to give us a piechart.

EDIT: 50/50 right now (only 2 votes), the more of you that vote the more accurate the poll will be. Please vote to put an end to this question.
EDIT 2: 4 votes no, 1 vote yes.

(edited by Morsus.5106)

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

What’s wrong is that he was saying he wanted new zones, but then went on to say he hasn’t even bothered playing the new zone because Anet didn’t add enough new zones….

If that’s not what he meant, which I sure hope it wasn’t, then I apologize for misunderstanding, but on face value it sounds like a case of “looking a gift horse in the mouth”. If you are familiar with the saying.

“I want cake!”

“No problem, here’s a slice of our finest German Chocolate cake.”

“Noooo I wanted an entire cake!” knocks cake to floor

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: AdaephonDelat.3890

AdaephonDelat.3890

if you want to, it would be good to see, but dont break your back looking for it.

To save Vayne’s back I found two articles one from July last year and one from January this year. How accurate they are is an entirely different matter.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

[BAD] a casual PvE guild on Aurora Glade.
http://bad-eu.guildlaunch.com
The Family Deuce. Asuran Adventure Specialists.

Vayne.8563

EDIT: 50/50 right now (only 2 votes), the more of you that vote the more accurate the poll will be. Please vote to put an end to this question.

This won’t reflect the majority’s opinion. It will possible reflect the majority of a minority which are forum posters. The most vested, hardest to please people in the game. The dissatisfied ones. That’s what this reflects.

If we know nothing else from the past it’s that forum posters often don’t express majority views.

In a recent quote, which I’ve quoted elsewhere, a Lotro dev said that even though there were a huge number of forum posts by raiders, only 2% of the game’s population raided.

Polls on forums generally prove very little.

Morsus.5106

What’s wrong is that he was saying he wanted new zones, but then went on to say he hasn’t even bothered playing the new zone because Anet didn’t add enough new zones….

If that’s not what he meant, which I sure hope it wasn’t, then I apologize for misunderstanding, but on face value it sounds like a case of “looking a gift horse in the mouth”. If you are familiar with the saying.

“I want cake!”

It’s more like asking for a pizza, and then just getting the crust. “This isn’t a meal!” “But it’s free!” “But it won’t keep me from starving!” “But it’s free!”. I’m not trying to take a side, but I feel like your analogy didn’t quite capture the situation.

Posted by: Edgar Doiron.2804

Edgar Doiron.2804

Not enough… for free?

Forgeman Destroyers [FORD] – Sorrows furnace

Vayne.8563

To save Vayne’s back I found two articles one from July last year and one from January this year. How accurate they are is an entirely different matter.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/07/18/guild-wars-2s-colin-johanson-outlines-big-plans-and-course-cor/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-you-thought-that-was-it-for-guild-wars-2

Vayne’s back thanks you. lol

Morsus.5106

This won’t reflect the majority’s opinion. It will possible reflect the majority of a minority which are forum posters. The most vested, hardest to please people in the game. The dissatisfied ones. That’s what this reflects.

If we know nothing else from the past it’s that forum posters often don’t express majority views.

In a recent quote, which I’ve quoted elsewhere, a Lotro dev said that even though there were a huge number of forum posts by raiders, only 2% of the game’s population raided.

This is the closest I can get to having proper statistics, so unless ANet wants to advertise our little poll on Facebook (which would be awesome, but we can’t really count on that) then the forumers are the only people I can really poll.

Vayne.8563

This is the closest I can get to having proper statistics, so unless ANet wants to advertise our little poll on Facebook (which would be awesome, but we can’t really count on that) then the forumers are the only people I can really poll.

Misleading data is worse than no data in my opinion.

Morsus.5106

Feel free to go shout about it in Lion’s Arch to make it more reliable.

Vayne.8563

Feel free to go shout about it in Lion’s Arch to make it more reliable.

You can do that if you like. There are so many problems with this it’s not funny.

The phrasing for example. Coming into that poll cold, I’d read it as is that enough to keep me playing forever as if nothing else was ever coming out. That’s how it reads.

It’s what’s called a loaded question.

It’s also a pass fail type question.

A better question would have been on a scale of 1-10 how likely will living story and feature packs keep you playing. The problem is we don’t even know what’s in the new feature pack yet, so no one can really say.

It’s like saying will you like the next movie you see?

phys.7689

yeah i didnt see any expansion mentioned in the first, but they did mention new weapon types that would happen after to legendaries and precursor quests, which hasnt come yet, so i would assume thats pretty far off.

the second interview i remember, it the one where says you can expect that stuff within the lifespan of GW2, but no time soon, even though nothing is off the table. Lifespan is a long time, (hopefully) so i wouldnt expect much on that front within the next year.
But i am more than happy to be wrong

Vayne.8563

yeah i didnt see any expansion mentioned in the first, but they did mention new weapon types that would happen after to legendaries and precursor quests, which hasnt come yet, so i would assume thats pretty far off.

the second interview i remember, it the one where says you can expect that stuff within the lifespan of GW2, but no time soon, even though nothing is off the table. Lifespan is a long time, (hopefully) so i wouldnt expect much on that front within the next year.

I’ve said time and time again I expect an expansion next year. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Next year.

But this proves that they haven’t ruled out an expansion and they are working on bigger projects of the type seen in expansions in the background.

You know they never talk about stuff very far before it’s released.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Facebook would also say nothing .. a lot of MMO gamers these days are 40+ now and
often don’t care about facebook at all.

The only thing that would give maybe some decent data is an ingame poll .. like they did in AION from time to time.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Vayne.8563

Facebook would also say nothing .. a lot of MMO gamers these days are 40+ now and

The only thing that would give maybe some decent data is an ingame poll .. like they did in AION from time to time.

LMAO! I told my wife about it and she wants to vote and can’t. Says she already voted. lol Must be we’re on the same IP.

phys.7689

I’ve said time and time again I expect an expansion next year. Not tomorrow. Not next week. Next year.

But this proves that they haven’t ruled out an expansion and they are working on bigger projects of the type seen in expansions in the background.

my thinking is it would probably be at least a year from when they announce it (or it comes out that they trademarked a name or some such) So i would say maybe 1.5 years at best, but i may be overly pessimistic

Morsus.5106

Except that would only poll the players who are still playing the game. In a perfect world we’d be able to reach every single player who’s ever played and force them to give an honest answer. Unfortunately all I can do atm is post my little straw poll.

Vayne.8563

my thinking is it would probably be at least a year from when they announce it (or it comes out that they trademarked a name or some such) So i would say maybe 1.5 years at best, but i may be overly pessimistic

My guess is one year from the china release. They’re not likely to want to overload the new area. Give China time to catch up and release it everywhere at once. It’s way too soon for an expansion in China.

Morsus.5106

LMAO! I told my wife about it and she wants to vote and can’t. Says she already voted. lol Must be we’re on the same IP.

I set it to not let people vote from the same IP to prevent one player from voting multiple times. I only want to get 9000:1 ratio if it’s legit lol. Maybe I’ll just poll some players in-game and use that data.

Vayne.8563

I set it to not let people vote from the same IP to prevent one player from voting multiple times. I only want to get 9000:1 ratio if it’s legit lol. Maybe I’ll just poll some players in-game and use that data.

Talk to people. But talk to them after the info is out on the new feature patch. Right now I bet most people don’t even know about the combat log improvements yet.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

This the beauty of GW2… tons of ppl have bought the game, and a good deal of them have left, BUT they can just as easily come back with a click of a button when(if) anet adds the things that are missing to hold ppls interest.

There’s obviously a very healthy number of players currently playing, but it can be MUCH higher because the MMO market just isn’t that great and anet has the key – No sub to play, free content updates.

GW2 sold millions, but millions aren’t playing this game (talking strictly NA+EU here) …that much I can speculate.

Plenty are happy with the current state of the game, but like every game, it can be much better, and with GW2, the potential is very high. xpac like content has to happen, its in the best interest of anet, financially speaking… you aren’t going to lose players, only gain if you add the things that left many players to “take a break” from this game..

Me and most of my guildies have been “taking a break” for the past 6+ months because what holds our interest, and many others, is WvW/PvP… both of these systems have been badly neglected for a while…until anet actually does something about it, we will continue to take a break.. but the nice thing is we can still team up every now and then and run some tPvP or roam around in WvW as a group.. but its just gotten so stale and boring with the little attention WvW/PvP recieves in this game..

The thing is – once there’s something new to explore – say, Star Citizen – I probably won’t be back, because it’s not worth the time.

This is how MMO’s die.

MMO’s die like that are Sub games. This game doesn’t have one so you can come and go as you like.

Star Citizen is a cash grab, just like ArcheAge is – there is no Alpha of SC but you can buy a bunch of ships already. If they game NEVER comes out, you are without the cash you spent on that game. This is the latest trend by developers – make players pay up front and deliver nothing.

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

I think you’re right in fact I truly believe they are building an expansion what I don’t understand is their complete unwillingness to divulge their plans. What sense does it make to let players leave because they have no news or nothing to look forward too? I mean if you’re building it why not just tell people and squash all of the negative publicity surrounding these doubts and concerns. You don’t have to set a date, you don’t have to give specifics, just knowing it’s coming would be enough for most people to stick around, or continue to invest money. I know I’d open my wallet again if I knew this was in the pipeline because their would be the security of knowing it would be more of a long term investment. Not knowing anything formally is why I won’t spend anymore money.

I have never in all my years of gaming seen a company do more harm to themselves through pathetic marketing practices as Anet. They are by far their own worst enemies.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

“I want cake!”

It’s more like asking for a pizza, and then just getting the crust. “This isn’t a meal!” “But it’s free!” “But it won’t keep me from starving!” “But it’s free!”. I’m not trying to take a side, but I feel like your analogy didn’t quite capture the situation.

Have you actually stopped to explore and look at Dry Top? The zone is beautiful, whether you like the crystals or not, or wanted more zones. It is well designed and unique compared to all of the other zones in the game. I think they did a great job with the zone, the events, the new skins, the story, etc. No, it’s not a whole pizza, but it’s far more than just crust. It’s a slice with a heaping pile of toppings (assuming 8 slices to a pizza—I mean honestly 8 new zones would be a lot for any expansion).

But now we’re just getting into opinions, so I suppose let’s just call it a day.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I think you’re right in fact I truly believe they are building an expansion what I don’t understand is their complete unwillingness to divulge their plans. What sense does it make to let players leave because they have no news or nothing to look forward too? I mean if you’re building it why not just tell people and squash all of the negative publicity surrounding these doubts and concerns. You don’t have to set a date, you don’t have to give specifics, just knowing it’s coming would be enough for most people to stick around, or continue to invest money. I know I’d open my wallet again if I knew this was in the pipeline because their would be the security of knowing it would be more of a long term investment. Not knowing anything formally is why I won’t spend anymore money.

I have never in all my years of gaming seen a company do more harm to themselves through pathetic marketing practices as Anet. They are by far their own worst enemies.

Because they’ve been down that road. They TRIED to be transparent, and lay out their plans a year in advance.

The moment ANY of it changed, even in the slightest, the fanbase went on a rampage and started spitting the most vile, disgusting, entitled, bratty venom I had seen since the WoW message boards.

I do believe their silence is now because they do not believe they CAN be candid with their fans without their fans losing their collective kitten. And I don’t entirely blame them, even though I do think they should be open anyway.

Vayne.8563

Because they’ve been down that road. They TRIED to be transparent, and lay out their plans a year in advance.

The moment ANY of it changed, even in the slightest, the fanbase went on a rampage and started spitting the most vile, disgusting, entitled, bratty venom I had seen since the WoW message boards.

I do believe their silence is now because they do not believe they CAN be candid with their fans without their fans losing their collective kitten. And I don’t entirely blame them, even though I do think they should be open anyway.

Any chance there’s a business reason behind the silence. Not letting competitors plan their launches around their launch? Because that sort of thing happens all the time.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Any chance there’s a business reason behind the silence. Not letting competitors plan their launches around their launch? Because that sort of thing happens all the time.

My general experience is that developers really couldn’t give one tenth of one kitten about what another developer is doing. Their plates are so full with what they are doing they really can’t waste it worrying about what [x] over in [y] studio might be doing if they know something is happening on [z].

Now publishers are more in tune with that, and sure I suppose it’s possible NCSoft is sending down the order to keep things close to the vest. But considering how much of this new era of silence concurs nearly perfectly with all the hot-coal raking the fans did over Arena.net’s 2013 intentions, I’m inclined to believe that Arena.net has decided speaking candidly with their player base simply isn’t worth the grief.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I have to agree here.

Anet did try to be transparent once. Sure they weren’t a freaking window, but in the beginning they did talk to us a lot more. It’s only gone down hill from there. The more they said, they more people ripped them apart. So they started saying less and less, and still people continue to rip them apart. I can’t blame them for just clamming up.

Yes, I’d love to see them talk to us again. The looking ahead blogs, cdi’s on here, some community managers to interact with and go between for us. It’d be great to know what they are working on, what they are planning, and having the ability to ask “hey, did you consider this perspective” because sometimes (by their own admittance) they don’t catch every perspective. However, I just don’t see it happening.

Just look at this feature patch, those blogs are locked on partially for anticipation purposes. The other is if something changes at the last minute, they can change it or yank it and we’ll never know. Less ammo for us to use against them. They only tell us what they know will absolutely make it in.