2 years off, where would you start?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pokahpolice.1372

Pokahpolice.1372

What up fellow gamers? I was a GW1 junkie and then played GW2 long enough to get the Armor set I wanted for my main character, LVL 80, WvW for a little while but then lost interest. My son is 12 now and into gaming. I was trying to think of a game we could play together because I can’t get into Minecraft AT ALL. GW came to mind so I logged into my account the other day to refresh my memory. I think it’s time to give it another shot.

Figured I’d start here with some questions, what’s changed in 2 years (I know probably a ton but I’d rather not be completely lost)? Where would you start? New character?

Thanks in advance for the feedback

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’d probably suggest hopping around on your 80 to get a feel for things, catch up a bit in regards to what’s changed at end-game that you used to be aware of (hint: a lot), and then going through on a new character and getting a feel for the process changing as a new character as well, for a lot of that has also changed or been reworked multiple times.

Way too much has changed to even begin to try and explain things. All I can suggest is that you dive in and try to piece things together again based on your memory of things expecting that a lot has in fact changed, from landscapes and maps to stories to loot to classes and builds to story.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I was you I’d keep all your old characters but make a new one (assuming you have a free slot) and level them up to re-learn the game.

A huge amount has changed in 2 years, but one of those things is that the game is a lot better at teaching you how things work as you go along. Anything you don’t understand you can ask in map chat or on here.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

DeceiverX.8361

If I was you I’d keep all your old characters but make a new one (assuming you have a free slot) and level them up to re-learn the game.

A huge amount has changed in 2 years, but one of those things is that the game is a lot better at teaching you how things work as you go along. Anything you don’t understand you can ask in map chat or on here.

Not sure I’d agree that it’s gotten better at teaching the game. Everyone I’ve met so far who’s started has a ton of questions as to why everything is covered in a lock icon or gets a bit frustrated with limited content to begin with. Having the community work together to answer such questions was a huge thing going for GW2 at release imho.

Pokahpolice.1372

Yeah, first thing I noticed was that my build didn’t even exist anymore. I got a message that stated they match the build as close as they could. The game took almost 90 mins to launch because I basically had to reload the game due to all the updates. Lion’s Arch doesn’t even look like the same place.

I hopped around a bit and refreshed myself on the controls. Had to retrain all my skills but luckily it looks like they credited skill points back to my account so it was more a matter of just toggling through them and hitting the train button 150 times. Went to the banker and WOW has that changed. Last time I played there were no outfits or armor storage. I feel like I have to almost start over to relearn the game. Funny, I feel like once upon a time I dominated this game and now I’m back to being a noob.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I guess you know there is an expansion starting Friday? (And Halloween also). If you don’t know about the expansion, there is a lot to learn.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

DeceiverX.8361

Only if the OP paid for it. Not much to gain if relearning the game and getting someone else who’s new into it, though.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Honestly … what better way to relearn the game than rolling a new character?

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

these links may be useful, including BogOtter’s vids for returning players

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/returningplayers

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Only if the OP paid for it. Not much to gain if relearning the game and getting someone else who’s new into it, though.

Better not to mention it and let them be unaware that there is an expansion then? Or maybe it’s useful to let them know just in case they do decide to buy it so they’ll get the character slot, maybe the bonus items and access to its features. Personally I would rather know. Even if I didn’t buy it right then.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Just FYI Tequatl will still crash on you.

Agemnon.4608

Yeah, first thing I noticed was that my build didn’t even exist anymore. I got a message that stated they match the build as close as they could. The game took almost 90 mins to launch because I basically had to reload the game due to all the updates. Lion’s Arch doesn’t even look like the same place.

I hopped around a bit and refreshed myself on the controls. Had to retrain all my skills but luckily it looks like they credited skill points back to my account so it was more a matter of just toggling through them and hitting the train button 150 times. Went to the banker and WOW has that changed. Last time I played there were no outfits or armor storage. I feel like I have to almost start over to relearn the game. Funny, I feel like once upon a time I dominated this game and now I’m back to being a noob.

The problem with new Lion’s Arch is it’s too neutral and sanitized as opposed to the gritty piraty look of old Lion’s Arch. That place had character.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Just an FYI: You don’t have to hit the ‘train button’ 150 times. Just go to the last trait/skill/item you desire, and it will automatically unlock all the previous ones in the circle.

Welcome return.

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

Make a new character? Do you have enough gold? Maybe try making ascended gears for the upcoming fractals update and raids. Try out PvP once in a while, it could be fun, but be warned about kitten team mates and enemies. Halloween event is nearing, maybe try doing stuff in the Halloween events, or even farm corn cob pieces for 20 slot bags (Halloween Pail). In terms of “power level”, you didn’t miss much. I took a very long break as well, and I missed a lot of Living Story season 1 events, but thankfully, they made the wise decision to make Living Story season 2 replayable. I’m hoping LS1 would make a return as well.

Anvil Rockers Unite!

Pokahpolice.1372

How should I go about getting an account for my son? Just buy a second account? What if I use the same email address? Is that going to try to tell me I already have an account? I don’t want there to be any issues where someone thinks I’m running some sort of scam by creating multiple accounts.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

The actual account name is the e-mail, so you need a separate e-mail address for each account.

You could just create a new account and let him try the f2p version first to see if he has an interest before investing money.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can not use the same email address for more than one account. You can easily create a new, unique email account, and so you should. One never associated with any other game, etc.

You can pre-purchase an account for your son, or you can create a Play4Free account for him, and upgrade it later, though purchasing now would afford you (him) some free bonuses.

Good luck.

Pokahpolice.1372

Countess Aire.9410 – I got your PM but can’t respond via PM for another 2 days due to spam rules on the forum.?? Here is the response to your PM…

Thanks, that’s actually a great suggestion. I almost forgot how great the world bosses were in this game :-) I’m going to get my son an account today and start a new character with him. That will give us the same starting point so we can run thru the beginning together. That will also let us have the same map completion. Then once he gets into stuff I can go back to my main and not have to do the grind getting my Armor Set….maybe keep working on the legendary weapon while he grinds other stuff.

Pokahpolice.1372

Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I forgot that the email is the login. I’ll just create an email for him and buy an account.

Pokahpolice.1372

Make a new character? Do you have enough gold? Maybe try making ascended gears for the upcoming fractals update and raids. Try out PvP once in a while, it could be fun, but be warned about kitten team mates and enemies. Halloween event is nearing, maybe try doing stuff in the Halloween events, or even farm corn cob pieces for 20 slot bags (Halloween Pail). In terms of “power level”, you didn’t miss much. I took a very long break as well, and I missed a lot of Living Story season 1 events, but thankfully, they made the wise decision to make Living Story season 2 replayable. I’m hoping LS1 would make a return as well.

Not sure if I have enough gold…LOL. I used to have plenty based on what I was looking to get. Was grinding a Legendary Weapon for a while but never finished. I don’t even remember what weapon I was going after. Guess we’ll find out as I get going.

Posted by: Toecutter.5807

Toecutter.5807

You say you want something to play with your son right? What better option than rolling a new character with him and reaching 80 together. You will learn everything new in the process.

DO NOT delete any of your original toons as you’ll get age related stuff from them.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Well, what do you like? I would suggest going to Dry Top and Silverwastes (both are accessed via Brisbane Wildlands) because HoT will have a number of zones to check out too.

A new character is a good idea too as you will have gotten birthday gifts that can instantly level a character to 20, as well as tomes of knowledge gotten from simply logging in. If you did nothing but login, you can get a free level 80 every 8 months (6 if you use a scroll). In reality, it goes even faster if you actually play the character. Personally, I think trying out new characters gives a lot more variety to the game.

Traits have completely changed too, so you’ll probably want to get those set up.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Pokahpolice.1372

I’m starting a new Character. Just realized that my account is in Jades Quarry (World) and of course it’s full so I will need to transfer to be able to play with him. I don’t have ANY gems to do the transfer. What are my options? Anything that won’t cost money?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can delete all characters and transfer at no cost. Your bank and all contents will transfer with you. (Note soul-bound items will be unusable, of course.)

You can play all parts of the game together without transferring, except World vs. World. Just party up, and choose the ‘Join in (Map X)’ option from the party character menu.

Good luck.

Agemnon.4608

Too late for ascended crafting before the rebalance. I almost have a complete leather set and halfway done the ascended heavy set.

Never, ever delete old characters since you’ll get really good birthday gifts. I got an electro blue before prices crashed and a blacklight so far.