200g for pre-cursor attempts, what're you at?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Linnes.2678

Linnes.2678

So I’ve tried tossing in rares, odds are pretty terrible, something like a 15% rare->exotic rate on top of the supposed 0.00001% of a precursor (though I am assuming it’s like 2%). Then did exotics, still nothing. Honestly Arena Net should have added in a voucher system, where in that if you fail a certain number of times they just give you a voucher. Again, Arena Net stated they didn’t want “grind” in their game. They did state they wanted legendaries to be something to work for… well how much work are you going to make them, I’ve been playing since 3-day headstart (beta excluded) and am no where near finishing a legendary through normal means? You nerf simple farming mechanics, prices rise, making them even more unreachable. Watch what’ll happen when the supposed CoF nerf comes out. I’ve gotten literally everything I could want in the game from my Emperor title for cultural armor to my tpvp Champion title, and my characters looks and surplus bank slots, but this one thing that I am now trying hard to actually grind is eluding me because of a simple, plain bullkitten mechanic.

The same people have controlled the precursor market since the Karka Boxes in which you literally gave precursors away left and right, even to people who weren’t there. The people who control the market, through spending thousands of real currency and converting it to gems, or those who just plainly bought gold (face it, Arena Net doesn’t monitor trades <50g), bought up all those precursors and are now selling them for however much they wish. It’s just not right to reward those people.

Was wondering, how much are you all at tossing in?

Linnes- 80 RNG, Linnes the Lucky- 80 ENG, Linnes the Silver- 80 GRD, Linnes the Gold- 80 WAR

(edited by Linnes.2678)

Posted by: Trice.4598

Trice.4598

I guess I have been pretty lucky, Got my frist precursor 2 months ago with 210 gold of rare, couple days later, got a dawn by throwing a couples of Exotic I had from dungeons tokens. And last week I got a colossus by throwing in 300 golds of rare., 3 of my guildies got their within 300 golds too. But doesn’t mean everyone will get their that easily.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Precursor control since november have LONG gone… right now, most precursors on sale are ones people find with everyday gameplay… also as a super pro tip that people don’t often hand out here, don’t use rares to Mforge your precursor.

Posted by: Linnes.2678

Linnes.2678

Precursor control since november have LONG gone… right now, most precursors on sale are ones people find with everyday gameplay… also as a super pro tip that people don’t often hand out here, don’t use rares to Mforge your precursor.

Yeah, I spent 40g in rares at first then I crunched numbers are realized I was an idiot for doing so. And even if precursor CONTROL might be gone, their prices remain the same as where they left them, because they know people are buying. Look at how many Dusks/Dawns/Sparks/etc. there are in the broker, certainly they don’t warrant the price, back in November you could see 60+ of each at a time.

Sad part is, I have a few guildies who’ve tossed in <20 rares and have gotten Dusk, Dawn, and a Zap.

Linnes- 80 RNG, Linnes the Lucky- 80 ENG, Linnes the Silver- 80 GRD, Linnes the Gold- 80 WAR

Posted by: Jon.5761

Jon.5761

so far i have put in 500 staves,500 greatswords and 500 hammers, which got me 1 of ‘The Legend’ and 2 of ‘The Colossus’ so all in all i’de say the odds are better of gamble but maybe my RNG was just amazing ;P

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Had to put this somewhere. I put a ton in the MF and get nothing.

After 1300 hours played, last week Venom drops from a random Krait. Not that people are huge on water precursors. Just now Venom drops AGAIN for me from a Frozen Maw chest.

Yay for my luck at getting a precursor finally. But Venom twice? I think there goes all my RNG luck for the next year on 2 Venoms. :/

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I actually bought Venom for 29 gold from the marketplace, because I honestly think Kraitkin is the coolest looking weapon ever. I’m going to have one, after I get the Predator.

I never tried the mystic forge. I was lucky enough to get The Hunter as a drop during the Karka event. One of my guildies got dusk from a dredge in the Fractals. I was standing right next to him. I’d have left him for dead and took it, but the game won’t let me target allies. lol

Posted by: Doomdesire.9365

Doomdesire.9365

First attempt
40G
Nothing
Second attempt
50G – The Lover
Third attempt
700G- nothing

Don’t get too greedy folks. I lost 700G in ten minutes because of that

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

200g in nothing returned

did i mention i hate zomorros?

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

200g in nothing returned

did i mention i hate zomorros?

Don’t hate a fictional character. Hate (Er, hate’s a strong word) the devs for their terrible and lackluster game design. Everything mystic forge related is just bad, bad, bad.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Yay for not wanting a legendary \0/

Posted by: Xam Aran.2036

Xam Aran.2036

It is truly a RNG. I spent about 15-20g buying rares to throw into the toilet…got The Legend the other night…sold it…bought Leaf of Kudzu for my son and pocketed about 70g in the process. I thought the RNG was a farce…but now I believe.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Everytime i have gotten a precursor it was never with rares ( i have gotten 2 so far). The first time i got one it was dumb luck as i decided to throw 4 exotic rifles in the MF and got the hunter. Since then i have spent most of the money but i wanted the hammer (to actually make a legendary not to sell) , all the rares i gathered i either sold or salvaged and sold to buy cheap lvl 80 exotics.

Using that method it took me perhaps about 10-15 attempts to get my precursor using exotics. Only thing i can say based off of my experience is using rares its so a far shot its absurd, use the rares to make money and use money to buy cheap exotics to MF.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

Am I the only one who keeps the rares from PvE and chests, until I have four of the same weapon then throw thoes in the mystic toilet bowl? Any rare armour gets BLK salvaged for ectos instead.

Sadly still to get a single precursor, after probably 300-400 dragon chests and a couple 80 characters. Only 5 exotic ‘named’ weapons too, but I guess that’s just my bad luck.. le’sigh.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Posted by: Wayland.3528

Wayland.3528

Am I the only one who keeps the rares from PvE and chests, until I have four of the same weapon then throw thoes in the mystic toilet bowl? Any rare armour gets BLK salvaged for ectos instead.

Sadly still to get a single precursor, after probably 300-400 dragon chests and a couple 80 characters. Only 5 exotic ‘named’ weapons too, but I guess that’s just my bad luck.. le’sigh.

That is the method I use with weapons and armor (although for most off hand and water weapons I throw a mix in). And I did well over 1000 meta chests before I got that Venom. Weeee. Still in a mixed mood. Yay precursor, boo my RNG karma/luck wasted on a second Venom in a week. I may be an old man before I get another.

A lot of exotics from MF. No pres though.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Ive quit the game because of the precursor price and the insanely low chance with the mystic toilet. Havent played since the first week of march. I have close to 1000 hours played too, 5 level 80s. Sad. This was to be my last stint with MMOs, the saving grace for me. I just cant stand MMOs anymore because every game is a grind. This game has the biggest grind of all if you want anything.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Zap: 500g+
Spark: 3 attempts with rares, barely 3-4g.

Sigh.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Sazgo.9842

Sazgo.9842

Been playing since release. Never had anything of worth drop.
I put around 450g into forge by crafting rare greatswords and selling the exotics to get more gold to use on rares. Still no precursor :-( i kinda got to the point now that i just wont bother unless a precursor drops for me, the farming gold to throw away is horrid.

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

Over 3/4 Months I put 1500 yellow GS minimum into the forge, no pre. Then roughly 1000 shields, during that time I also put 32 exotic shields (from instance tokens) into it also and nothing.
Finally a couple days ago I got the shield pre and finished my legendary shield.

So, keep trying, or don’t try at all and just keep selling the yellows and you’ll have the cash for a pre :p

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

Posted by: DukeEm.4385

DukeEm.4385

5g in exotic shields = The Chosen

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

remember remember the manifesto remember. lies lies everywhere

Where in the manifesto did they say that everyone should have a legendary weapon? Legendaries are an aesthetic reward for significant effort, not a power advantage that needs to be obtained to keep up with other players. The manifesto holds in this case.

Posted by: Warruz.8096

Warruz.8096

Im curious what the rates vs Exotics vs rares is. As the few times iv seen exotics mentioned people seem to get there precursors.

Why was Crab Toss Removed? – http://tinyurl.com/kvbaakq

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’ve thrown away at least 600g.

Then again I have 3 legendaries and got a dusk off as a drop, so I’m not depressed.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Again, Arena Net stated they didn’t want “grind” in their game.

Jebus, how many times do you people need it explained to you. They didn’t want any MANDATORY grind where the word “mandatory” means that you need it in order to be able to complete content. You don’t need a legendary in order to do anything in the game. Therefore, it is not mandatory.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I’m not even trying to get a precursor from the MF. It is a waste of time. Something that I have learned from playing many, many MMOs in the past is the following:

The Random Number Generator (RNG) thinks, feels, and hates. Specifically the RNG thinks you’re pathetic, feels you shouldn’t succeed, and hates you and you alone.

Once I learned that, MMOs became quite a bit easier. It’s less work, and less disappointment.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Foddzy.6291

Foddzy.6291

Taking out a little frustration; wish we could take out the forge with siege

Attachments:

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Taking out a little frustration; wish we could take out the forge with siege

She’s just doing her job ;( Pick on zomoros ;/

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Xeph.4718

Xeph.4718

Im curious what the rates vs Exotics vs rares is. As the few times iv seen exotics mentioned people seem to get there precursors.

Just to clarify my post, I got the chosen in the end from some more yellows, I’ve put 32 exotics into the forge, 7200 instance tokens worth. At least I got to sell the exotics I did get

Pandion Knights – Seafarer’s Rest
www.pandionknights.co.uk
Ava Solaris – Warrior SFR

Posted by: ArashiKai.2496

ArashiKai.2496

and here i find the joke is on all of you guys. i figured, since i have terrible luck and didn’t want to deal with disheartening myself on a huge losing streak, decided to buy my zap off the TP. so i farmed my kitten off until i hit ~300 gold, put in a buy order, waited a few days, and POOF! zap was mine. all i need now is the t6 mats and im set for life.

in short, unless you have it in with the RNG Goddess, dont gamble on the MF; you’re better off taking the money you spend on rares/exotics and saving it for the TP.

and if for whatever kitten reason you DO want to gamble, please, for the love of The Six, DON’T USE RARES! it’s a small enough chance that you get an exotic, so imagine chances of getting the precursor.

Fear not me, but the Tempest that I am!

Posted by: blackysharky.7581

blackysharky.7581

Used only rares and never exotics, I’m at my 6th Pre-Cursor right now.

2x Dawn, 2x Dusk, 1x The Legend and 1x Spark.

So I wouldn’t say the chances are that low with only using rares, I’d rather sell the exotics for much money so I can buy more rares instead of selling cheap a** rares where you make like no profit at all and buy “expensive” exotics.

Sir Masao
Warrior
Elonas Reach [EU]

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

The odds are probably closer to 1 in 25,000 based on things like unbreakable bell research, assuming unbreakable bell was similar in drop rate to precursors, albeit rolling one involved cracking a wintersday gift. Think of how many MF rolls there are per day compared to the number o precursors that appear on the BLTP per day.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: SallyStitches.4096

SallyStitches.4096

I put in 30 rare greatswords the other day. I got 3 exotics, and Dawn. These rare GS’s cost me nothing, as I get plenty of T5 mats and mithril/elder logs every day. I can make about 10 rare GS’s a day, sometimes less. I wouldn’t recommend buying the swords to throw in, but if you can make them with your own materials; why not? You’ll at least get a few exotics. I made about 17g with the exotics I sold, so that equals far more ectos then if I had salvaged the swords, not to mention the fact I got Dawn, and was able to buy the precursor I wanted.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

a friend of mine spent 200 gold on rares, with enough left to sell back for 50gold.

a friend of mine picked up the chaos gun from a random drop in wvw.

I assume that exotics have a better chance than rares for getting a legendary, the question is how much. if the chance is double, but the cost is four times as much, then the rares is the way to go.

so the question becomes, just how different are the odds using rares vs exotics? I’m assuming no one knows; I would love a developer to tell us, not the actual hard numbers, just the ratio. Twice? Three times? 1.5x?

I would be tickled to know just the ratio between 80 rares & 80 exotics

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

my current total is 0 gold. All of my rares an exotics came from trading items with friends. But then I also got lucky and got my precursor on my first Exotic try

Just use the buddy system when it comes to legendaries. Makes the whole process much less painful.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: Lyonell.1753

Lyonell.1753

Personally, I never spent anything on legendary precursors. When I started playing the game “3 days head start bla bla bla” I thought getting a legendary was like a quest a result of something epic maybe even something unique to do. As I found out it was a bunch of crap gather and time consuming money investment that would get me a shi…eh I mean, a not so appealing weapon skin with same stats as an exotic…wait stats of exotic range but I don’t get to pick what stats I thought to myself…wow…F..k this lol.

I invest my time in WvW, something that I been loosing love for since WvW competitiveness has been reduced to an already decided winner based on server size lol. But yeah, I can understand the feelings of some here, personally I wouldn’t mind a grind, but when the grind = money and money = controlling the market and a bit of luck as PvE itself and WvW barely give any income but drain a lot of money it makes legendary something for people with a lot of time who just love to over achieve.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Using exotics is the way to go… think of it this way, you won’t always get an exo back from throwing in rares, but you will always get an exo back from throwing in exo’s. Yes cost is a limiting factor, but if you have 600-700g to throw away in the forge, why not use something that guarantees an exo in return than gambling away rares? It’s only a matter of time before that exo is a pre.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

250g through the forge, 1000 hours played, about 20 world boss chests a day across 4 characters, all dungeons done, 2 chars through lvl40 fracs a day.

No precursor.

Meanwhile a mates got 2 precursors from world chests in a week. Last one was from golem, spark in the world chest and an exo in the bonus chest.

Anet can suck a fat kitten. Bunch of talentless hacks whose only solution to loot distribution is RNG, that kitten was exciting 15 years ago in UO. Now you wonder why people will turn to botting or gold sellers.

I’m going to put the last of every single coin I’ve earned in 1000 hours through the forge, get nothing, then give up trying to aquire a precursor legitimately.

Just quit and don’t refer anyone to the game.
A good friend quit last week, same thing… all the gold he’s ever made in the game, gone in minutes trying to get a precursor. And he was not the first one, and I’m pretty sure he won’t be the last one to quit because of this.

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

I’m about 70% done with my legendary. I only have “dusk”, and “gift of twilight” left. I’ve decided, that I’m just going to BUY “Dusk”. It’s the only 100% guaranteed method, and I would rather pay 600G+ for it, than run the risk of spending the same amount, just to get NOTHING.

I understand the items are supposed to be “rare”, but, they don’t need to be “Struck by lightning on a sunny cloudless day” rare. It seriously wouldn’t hurt to increase the drop rate, by 10%. Especially since they’re items the majority of the player base has NO USE FOR. If the majority of the players won’t even attempt to craft the other three items, there’s really no need to restrict them, like they WOULD.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Using exotics is the way to go… think of it this way, you won’t always get an exo back from throwing in rares, but you will always get an exo back from throwing in exo’s. Yes cost is a limiting factor, but if you have 600-700g to throw away in the forge, why not use something that guarantees an exo in return than gambling away rares? It’s only a matter of time before that exo is a pre.

I’d rather not buy a flipped greatsword that was first produced by a bot.

A rare greatsword costs 33.75s to craft, 39s to buy as of yesterday. An exo costs 3.20.90g to craft, 2.48g to buy.

4 rare = 1.35g
4 exo = 12.83.60g (and guaranteed exo return).

I usually get an exo from rares every 5-6 attempts.

5×1.35g= 6.75g for 5 rare gs attempts.

It’s nearly half the price to use rare greatswords. Having said that, I’ve put another 1400 rare gs and 60 exos + exo returns through today with no precursor. Now I’ve got 0 mats and maybe 1g across my account. Was fun for a little while, might come back when they figure out how to distribute loot and fix pve culling. You know, put the massively multiplayer in mmo.

I like the theoretical nature of your calculations. However my experiences (and I’m sure plenty of other’s too) are quite a bit different. Working from averages doesn’t work in the real world. I’ve quite often had runs of 20-25 x4 rares thrown in and only rares in return. I’ve found I have to be exceptionally lucky to grab an exo in return for 4 rares in the forge.

As it is, I’m usually getting an exo every 10-12 tries which for me is still the non-viable way of doing things. Having said that, I still can’t feel right about RNG or rewarding someone else’s phenomenal luck with xxx gold because it’s not what they wanted and we have to pay through the nose for it based on demand and a severe under-supply of these ridiculously hard-to-come-by weapons.

P.S. If you’re going to bother to delete a post, delete where its quoted too. Though the incompetence doesn’t really surprise me.

I’m hoping this wasn’t directed at me, but since you were quoting me I have to guess that it wasn’t aimed at anyone else. :|

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

0g spent and 2 precursors (the chosen, dusk)
I just throw in the MF every rare I find

Posted by: Vyxion.6358

Vyxion.6358

Got spark with about 8g worth of rares. Guess I was lucky on the Spark

Posted by: DaddyBoJangles.6012

DaddyBoJangles.6012

I forged a Dawn with about 150G of Rares last month. I sold it, and used the money to buy Zap and some of my Charged Lodestones for Bolt. Who knew the Charged Lodestones was going to cost me more money than my precursor x.x I am still 11 shy of the 100 needed for Legendary.

Posted by: Nachtz.4930

Nachtz.4930

For a bit less than 100 gold I had :
- Dawn
- The Chosen
- The Leaf of Kudzu
- The Legend

I gave both last to some members of my guild I enjoy playing with, and finished Sunrise + Flamekeeper for my guardian. I’ll go for Spark, which I may sell.

PS : I only put rare weapons, putting exotics is a waste.

(edited by Nachtz.4930)

Posted by: ShadowMaster.5708

ShadowMaster.5708

For a bit less than 100 gold I had :
- Dawn
- The Chosen
- The Leaf of Kudzu
- The Legend

I gave both last to some members of my guild I enjoy playing with, and finished Sunrise + Flamekeeper for my guardian. I’ll go for Spark, which I may sell.

PS : I only put rare weapons, putting exotics is a waste.

Get spark, and i will buy it of you… Cheap Lets say.. You spend 10 gold, and get it… I will buy it from you for 20

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

So from this thread we have people saying don’t use rares, and others saying to use rares. I’ve spent probably around 60-70g in the last couple of weeks on rares in the toilet and I think I’ve learned my lesson. I’m going to try saving up for my precursor instead… but the turlet keeps calling out to me… shut up!

Posted by: Cicero.3492

Cicero.3492

Biggest thing people have to realize about Mystic Forging is every roll is independent of the roll before it, which is why some people get theirs in 1 try other 1000.

Is it worth it or not? Depends on if you enjoy gambling with your money in hopes of spending less, or if you would rather farm the gold and buy it outright.

Personally I gambled with my money and spent about 100g to get Tooth of Frostfang ( so I saved about 300g ). I used rares that I bought or crafted, with only the occasional exotic combine with the crappy exotics I got from MFing rares.

Posted by: petertje.7261

petertje.7261

what is the best way saving for the gold you need for precurser or putting in the mystic forge ime not that of a moneymaker but ime making sunrise now but ime bit scared for dawn that i maybe not gone find it or that ime gone lose all my gold for getting it btw what is that now about the scavenger hunt should i wait for it or what ?

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Right now I’m salvaging all rares and exos for ecto, except for the staves I’m using to try and get The Legend. As it is I got a single exotic returned so far… then again, I havent had that many rare staves so far, so it wasn’t all that big a difference.

All else I’m missing is the icy lodestones and the tier 6 materials… well, and the ecto So, I’m farming for the mats and ecto, and just combining staves as I get them. I figure once I have all the rest of the materials, THEN I’ll worry about which method I want to use to get my precursor.

However, I am a bit befuddled. I see people advocating for both the rares and the exotics to go into the Mystic Toilet. It’s unfortunate that we don’t have any real, compelling evidence to make an informed decision. I’ve know people who got their precursor for <150 gold in rares, and others who spend >250 gold in rares and still not get it.

I have not, however, heard a lot of stories about exotics being used and what THEIR percentages were. THAT would be intriguing.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Took me about 15g (the first two months of game’s release) to see how of a joke mystic toilet really is and i LOL at those who’ve spent over 100g, not very smart, brah.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Today I finally found the Legendary that I might actually want, I had the Karma/Gold/Materials needed for the gifts, at most I would have to spend time battling the Random Number God for Clovers.

Later I was staring at the pre-req in the Auction House window, sat there for a good 10 minutes wondering if I should just commit to it. I just couldn’t do it, I knew even if I purchased it and had it made within the week, I would still continue to never log in.

Having a Legendary wouldn’t help me find Adventure in place where none exists, and it certainly wouldn’t make the combat complex nor interesting. Guess I’m just gonna get back to Low Gravity Dobok fashion simulator 2013.