2013 Year in Review

2013 Year in Review

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/living-world-2013-the-year-in-review/

-Only 4 releases left for this season of the Living Story (and maybe Scarlet)

-Next 4 releases will be larger in “size and scope”

-Next release January 21st

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Yuck, more scarlet. Well let me see it cannot get any worse now can it?

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

It MAY be the last 4 releases with Scarlet in them. However, I’m surprised that ANet is taking about a month off of their release cycles. We could assume that they would not release anything on Dec. 24th, but they are also holding off on the January 7th release.

I do hope that this extra time is used for both rest and productivity. And I do hope that the final part of the Scarlet arc leads us to one more of our TRUE enemy…the dragons.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Big Tower.5423

Big Tower.5423

They’re killin of (look down) YEY!

Attachments:

7800 hours ingame, and counting.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

mmmm sounds very interesting

Gunnar’s Hold

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

6 weeks of Wintersday…. boy this holiday has grown in celebration length over 250 years….

Now where did I put those snowballs…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I love that photo of Scarlett to be honest… reminds me of a female hybrid of The Joker and Jim Carrey’s character in The Mask.

#TeamJadeQuarry

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Jakzor.4160

Jakzor.4160

so basicly, from 21th Jan we’ll have FOUR living story only release.

that means 2 freaking months(3 starting from 10th dec) without any feature update…

that makes me very sad…..

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

that means 2 freaking months(3 starting from 10th dec) without any feature update…

That is not what he is saying.
He is saying that there will be no MAJOR feature release during those 4 updates.

Which makes sense.
Major features are after all stuff like the WPX system, new maps types, new systems over all and so on.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

2013 Year in Review

Jakzor.4160

He is saying that there will be no MAJOR feature release during those 4 updates.

Which makes sense.
Major features are after all stuff like the WPX system, new maps types, new systems over all and so on.

well, i hope you are right.

not gonna count too much on it tho…

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: JohnnySupernova.9182

JohnnySupernova.9182

Which makes sense.

The living story should not take precedent over actually improving the game, to be honest. If it has to be one or the other, features should come first, always.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

does seem like a long break. I hope it’s worth it to be honest.

Rock to the core I am guessing is primordus. kinda hope so.

“The living story should not take precedent over actually improving the game, to be honest. If it has to be one or the other, features should come first, always.”

This.

2013 Year in Review

lordkrall.7241

The living story should not take precedent over actually improving the game, to be honest. If it has to be one or the other, features should come first, always.

So they should rush out features that ends up with massive bugs just because?

Keep in mind that the Living Story teams are most likely not the same people working on the major features.
One could assume that it is as simple as the Living Story parts are done (or will be done more likely) in time, while the features need more time to work, thus they give it a couple of months extra time.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

2013 Year in Review

Jakzor.4160

Which makes sense.

same

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Which makes sense.

Ever think that maybe some of the features might not be ready yet? So the living story buys time to complete them?

Perhaps some of the features are lead into by the living story, and thus the story needs to come first.

Several reason why they might do the story first. At least we know that they will be doing a large feature release in a few months. That’s at least positive news.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Which makes sense.

Yes, so in other words, we are getting temp content patches with content that will have about 2-4 hours of lame stuff in it that no one really cares for cause it’s made up LS stuff to sell items on the Gem Store, be a lot better if they could of just stuck to the real lore and and did it that way, so I’d say we are gonna get about maybe 12-16 hours of content from those patches, which in the end will be removed. But don’t worry, I’m sure they will leave in the Gem Store items they put in. lolololololol.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

2013 Year in Review

Jakzor.4160

Which makes sense.

Ever think that maybe some of the features might not be ready yet? So the living story buys time to complete them?

Perhaps some of the features are lead into by the living story, and thus the story needs to come first.

Several reason why they might do the story first. At least we know that they will be doing a large feature release in a few months. That’s at least positive news.

positive news indeed.

the question is: will players have the patience to wait?

my personal opinion is i’ll leave the game till march(as will probably do my entire wvw guild) if those patches will be seriously story only.

i may be the only one that will loose interest in the game but, what if i’m not??

i hope it’ll not be too late in 3 months time from now

READ CAREFULLY: this is MY opinion, might be wrong.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

deep breath..Okay. When I saw the post, I said to myself, “Oh no…here we go”.

So, my first question is, why involve scarlet in Wintersday at all? Just curious.

Second, I really look forward to finishing up Scarlet and this current version of LS. I hope that after the the scarlet arc, they revamp their thinking with Living Story as per our CDI discussion.

Thirdly, ‘shake Tyria to its core’…just my negative speculation, but what if this means that Agony seeps out of FoTM and into Tyria? Oh boy! Just speculation

I am happy to see that a large ‘features only’ release is slated for after the LS arc is done. I hope this brings much needed dungeon revamps, Living World revamps, Orr revamps, etc.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

So basically no new features (ie. precursor scavenger hunt/crafting) till at least mid-ish March (assuming still 2 week intervals for the last 4 releases, starting Jan 21st). Well that kinda sucks. Hopefully the story is worth it (though I doubt it).

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

2013 Year in Review

lordkrall.7241

Well, this just show that we have become spoiled.
After all most other games don’t release patches at all more often than that. And especially not with new major features ^^

So, my first question is, why involve scarlet in Wintersday at all? Just curious.

Isn’t the only involvement Scarlet have in Wintersday basically: “Scarlet hurt these people, so we will need donations to help them”?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Which makes sense.

positive news indeed.

my personal opinion is i’ll leave the game till march(as will probably do my entire wvw guild) if those patches will be seriously story only.

i may be the only one that will loose interest in the game but, what if i’m not??

Most people do not know what patience is, honestly. They desire everything, and they desire it right now. ‘Patience is a virtue’ which is no longer taught in society.

Not every game is for every person, it is sad, however, it is also true. People get bored and take a break, then they come back and enjoy the game again, until they feel burnt out and need another break. Some will never be able to get ‘into’ it, or ‘back’ into it and move on. I make no judgments.

If you (general use, not “you” specifically) don’t like the game, then go play something else. Playing a game isn’t any different than ordering food at a restaurant. You don’t eat something you don’t like, you get something else you like better. If you get a game you don’t like, you find a different one you like better. There will be those that, like me, do enjoy the game and the “pathetic living story” and will stay put.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Soeki.9643

Soeki.9643

I for one, happy about their plans. The 2 week cycle is not working out well in my opinion, with the extra time they get, they can hopefully produce a better quality content, and if it is the extra time, they needed to hit the sweetspot of quality, I’d be even fine with monthly releases from now on.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Which makes sense.

If the features, QoL improvements, overall improvements and polish are not ready yet, put more people on those projects and less on LS. This is what we have been saying alll along. Areas of the game go months upon months without attention but we continue to be fed breadcrumb LS. I hope with 2014, this way of doing things ends.

I want dungeon revamps, I want living world revamps(i.e. people in the open world in any zone playing), I want some more QoL, I want to see more bug squashing. There are bugs that are still in the game from release (Magg cof P2 magma fields comes to mind), there are failed temple events that are bugged out, failed regular dynamic events. Over one year after launch and these things aren’t fixed in favor of LS…

This should always take priority over living story.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

2013 Year in Review

Jakzor.4160

Which makes sense.

positive news indeed.

Most people do not know what patience is, honestly. They desire everything, and they desire it right now. ‘Patience is a virtue’ which is no longer taught in society.

Not every game is for every person, it is sad, however, it is also true. People get bored and take a break, then they come back and enjoy the game again, until they feel burnt out and need another break. Some will never be able to get ‘into’ it, or ‘back’ into it and move on. I make no judgments.

If you (general use, not “you” specifically) don’t like the game, then go play something else. Playing a game isn’t any different than ordering food at a restaurant. You don’t eat something you don’t like, you get something else you like better. If you get a game you don’t like, you find a different one you like better. There will be those that, like me, do enjoy the game and the “pathetic living story” and will stay put.

you are absolutely right.

too bad i love 2 aspects of the game(wvw & spvp) that are not taken into consideration enough, like pve is.

this always happens in EVERY MMOs i play and that makes me wonder if im the unlucky/wrong guy

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Which makes sense.

If the features, QoL improvements, overall improvements and polish are not ready yet, put more people on those projects and less on LS. This is what we have been saying alll along. Areas of the game go months upon months without attention but we continue to be fed breadcrumb LS. I hope with 2014, this way of doing things ends.

I want dungeon revamps, I want living world revamps(i.e. people in the open world in any zone playing), I want some more QoL, I want to see more bug squashing. There are bugs that are still in the game from release (Magg cof P2 magma fields comes to mind), there are failed temple events that are bugged out, failed regular dynamic events. Over one year after launch and these things aren’t fixed in favor of LS…

This should always take priority over living story.

In a development environment, more people =/= more productive necessarily. Just like adding another person does not make changing a light bulb faster or easier necessarily. In fact, it could do the opposite and hinder productivity instead. Development and testing aren’t done with a magic wand, they take time.

I understand the things you want, there are things I want to, but we don’t know how many people they have tasked to do the various components (big fixes, armor design, ls, etc). We know that they have teams. We also know that they have 4 ls teams, but we also have been told that they are small. We do not know how many people are doing other things, we also don’t know how complex their code is, although I’m sure it’s a monster. Just have some patience. I know it’s hard.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Siobhan.6027

Siobhan.6027

Four more releases centered around Scarlet is quite nauseating. At this point I don’t care what it builds towards unless it retcons Scarlet and everything she’s done.

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

you are absolutely right.

too bad i love 2 aspects of the game(wvw & spvp) that are not taken into consideration enough, like pve is.

this always happens in EVERY MMOs i play and that makes me wonder if im the unlucky/wrong guy

Based on the pvp roadmap posted on the news recently…. I don’t think PvP is as unconsidered as you might think. It talked about laying the foundation for additional pvp modes if I recall. It might take some time, but they have it in mind, just to cite one example.

The game is only just a year old. Their plans seem to be rather large in scope. Such things take time (and aren’t always right on the first attempt).

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

6 weeks of Wintersday…. boy this holiday has grown in celebration length over 250 years….

It seems a bit long doesnt it? I cant remember how long the wintersday was in GW1. Where your ranger all of a sudden was the most popular class in the game.. Snowball fight…

2013 Year in Review

lordkrall.7241

Four more releases centered around Scarlet is quite nauseating. At this point I don’t care what it builds towards unless it retcons Scarlet and everything she’s done.

So, what if the whole Scarlet story leads up to the awakening of a new Elder Dragon (Mordremoth), would it still be totally worthless and be retconned?

There are after all things that do point towards it, so it is not completely impossible.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It seems a bit long doesnt it? I cant remember how long the wintersday was in GW1. Where your ranger all of a sudden was the most popular class in the game.. Snowball fight…

About 2 weeks. It encompassed Xmas and New Years, with the finally being new years eve/day.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Heta.8629

Heta.8629

I like what this blog post is saying. Wintersday will last 6 weeks which is longer than I would like but this is slowing down the pace of new updates which some people wanted. Next will be a polished and relatively concise end to the Scarlet arc. At this point we will have no new features for about 3.5 months and a feature only update will come out. Seems to me that they are really focusing on one part at a time to make it as great as possible. For people who don’t like or care about the living story this will be a long time before new features come in but there is still other things to do in the game or you can take a break. I’ll be pretty bored for the duration of wintersday but I’ll patiently wait for the rest because Colin promises epicness. I can’t even imagine what will be in the feature only release after several months of features going into the game at once. Gonna be massive

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

…but I’ll patiently wait for the rest because Colin promises epicness. I can’t even imagine what will be in the feature only release after several months of features going into the game at once. Gonna be massive

I think I’ve become jaded to His promises. Too many times he’s just talked and nothings come out of it. Theres always too much fluff in his stuff. I do hope the feature only release is epic, but I’m not holding my breath. Too many hypes followed by a big let down have happened.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

When i read the thread title i thought it was an actual “Anet style” review of GW2’s 2013… So i expected a lot of “Such awesome, very success, much living story love, much loved update, wow.”
Instead there’s nothing even close to a review, but just nice PR words to say that they awesomely failed at delivering some of the most wanted and requested features that there was in the PR devlog before…

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Just have some patience. I know it’s hard.

Patience? How much patience do you think we need to cope with this 3 month interval until the next feature patch? To give you an example, last update revamped the fractals – however it also brought plenty of new issues and did little to solve the old ones. How can we feel about the fact that we will have to wait at least 3 more months for a dredge fractal revamp, on top of other pressing issues?

Just like cesmode.4257 said, revamping unattractive content, bug fixing, QoL improvements should have an absolute priority over the LS stuff. Too bad this does not generate enough gem store purchases.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

Guild Wars 2 advertisements, online and elsewhere clearly state there is “new content every two weeks”.

Arenanet cannot simply ‘take a break’ from fortnightly releases, it would be a blatant breach to customers who bought the game on that pretense.

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

2013 Year in Review

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Patience? How much patience do you think we need to cope with this 3 month interval until the next feature patch? To give you an example, last update revamped the fractals – however it also brought plenty of new issues and did little to solve the old ones. How can we feel about the fact that we will have to wait at least 3 more months for a dredge fractal revamp, on top of other pressing issues?

Just like cesmode.4257 said, revamping unattractive content, bug fixing, QoL improvements should have an absolute priority over the LS stuff. Too bad this does not generate enough gem store purchases.

And if they never revamp the dredge fractal? Perhaps they decide, short of a few tweaks or bug fixes, its fine as it is. That is their decision to make. You can either “swallow it” or “move on.” Those are your choices.

Yes, every update comes with bugs. Some are small, some are not. Bugs are not always the easiest thing to fix. I work on a codebase that is over a decade old, and still retains bugs from its original implementation because none of the hundreds of devs that have worked on it could figure out wtf was causing a specific issue to occur. In some instances a bug may not be reproducible 100% of the time, further compounding hunting down it’s cause.

We do not work for Anet. We do not own them. We do not make the decisions as to what is, or even should be, priority. We cannot change that. We can voice our opinions politely, to express our wishes and desires to the devs, but the final decisions are still theirs. So, we can either have some patience, or we can move on.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is great news. They are finally listening and slowing down the living story to give it a chance to polish and debug it.

Also only 2 more months until the end of Scarlet (yay!).

It sounds like they want to go out with a bang, so hopefully this will be the start of something fresh and new.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

There are two things in that post that I like and made me hopeful. Firstly they’re taking extra time to polish content-that’s exactly what some people were asking for. Trying to feed impatient gamers or treating all of us like we have ADD (no offense to those who do) with unreasonably frequent ‘blink-you-lose’ buggy content is kitten near insulting. This shows respect, care and giving due diligence for their work-and I think more people can and will respect that. Unfortunately I don’t care for this season of LS so it’ll likely be 4 months before anything in the game interests me but that’s fine-other things to do, other games to play; if it means those who are into LS will have 4 months of truly compelling content rather than convincing themselves their engaged b/c fanboy syndrome or simply don’t want to admit they wasted time then that is awesome. I repeat, taking time to polish content=win for everybody, very nice.

The second thing that is a silver lining is…the end of the LS is almost here lol, and hopefully this new direction will be permament (work on one aspect of the game at a time, polish it to a shine then move on). So LS lovers will get their fair amount of attention and later those more interested in features and mechanics or other game modes will get their fair amount of attention without any crisscross mess from trying to work on the other 5 areas of play (4 if you lump fractals and dungeons together as…idk dungeons?).

Odd that rather than any features or events I’m more excited over the fact that for the first time they basically said ‘Ok look-this multi focus development thing isn’t working out; let’s take our time and work on one thing at a time’. Is my optimism clouding my judgement and I’m reading too much into it? Possibly…but I sure hope not.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Imbune.5497

Imbune.5497

….How old are you? The way you speak you’d think gw2 is the only game-or the only means of entertainment in the world. Are you saying you can’t live without gw2 for 4 months? How did you manage the <insert number of years you’re alive> before gw2?

I’ll say it appears you can’t see beyond your nose; maybe you need to take a few steps away from your monitor and see :a) the rest of your game collection b) the world…might give you some perspective.

When free speech ends, tyranny begins.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Eh.

Best I can muster.

I’m vaguely curious as to how they plan to end this LS season… but not for the reasons I should be. I lost investment with this arc a while ago. I’m more interested in seeing how much the… logistics?… have improved since LS’s implementation. I’m essentially going to use the quality of the last bits of LS season 1 to determine if I’m going to bother with the next LS… And since that’s the way the game seems to be heading, also whether I’m going to continue to play.

I admit, my bar is pretty low at this point… but the recent Tower updates are much closer to where I want the LS to be.

We shall see.

2013 Year in Review

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

….How old are you?

Thank you for asking, I am old enough to be able to define the problems of the only MMO I play and to voice my discontent with the way it is managed. Before eventually moving on, as others have suggested.