2014 is now half gone...

2014 is now half gone...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

and we still haven’t had any word on the stuff we were supposed to get in 2013. (craftable precursors, etc.). Now I’m not the kind of person who gets upset when deadlines are missed or plans are changed; but I do hate being left to twist in the wind when half a year comes and goes without a peep as to why such an important feature was pushed back (or scrapped altogether). When can we expect to hear from the developers on this subject (or any other, for that matter)?

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

It’s actually one more day until 2014 is half gone.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

yeah they never did have a what to expect in 2014 blog like they said they were going to do after ls1 ended I think essentially arenanet hates being held to deadlines with a passion. Thats why they dont like to say anything.

I dont really think this is a great idea, but ehh if they make lots of money it works for them, if they dont, it doesnt. I think how the players feel about that is already known, and is acceptable for arenanet.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

There were never ANY promises on WHEN crafted precursors would be released. Granted, they indicated they were aiming for 2013 and they are obviously behind schedule on this, so an inquiry is justified.

However, anything they say on the subject (short of an announcement it’s going to be in the next release), is just fuel for the continual “Anet lied to us!!!!” fire, so I can’t really blame them for saying nothing until it’s ready for release.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

However, anything they say on the subject (short of an announcement it’s going to be in the next release), is just fuel for the continual “Anet lied to us!!!!” fire, so I can’t really blame them for saying nothing until it’s ready for release.

And we actually just had a thread in the crafting section that was basically all about this. “Anet lied” “Anet promised” blah blah blah whine whine whine. And when you correct them with the actual information, you’re blindly defending them. sigh I’m running out of signs to hand people….

That’s not the first such thread either, and it’s for exactly those reasons that I do not think we will see any more of the looking ahead blogs from Colin, or any other dev. They simply are not going to put anything in writing that can even be remotely misconstrued until it is basically ready to be put into the game. Not just for features either. They’ve been cutting back on things like what they plan on doing for skill tweaks and such as well. As people kitten more and more, they talk less and less. Yet nobody notices the trend…

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Well,… GW2 is a big boy and handles itself now… NCSoft puts all his attention on his newborn WildStar. I won’t expect much improvement in this game from now on.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

2014 is now half gone...

Brother Grimm.5176

Well,… GW2 is a big boy and handles itself now… NCSoft puts all his attention on his newborn WildStar. I won’t expect much improvement in this game from now on.

Actually, if NCSoft loosens its “grip” on GW2 a bit, that could be a very GOOD thing in terms of development direction and pressure to be the cash cow of the company.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think posts like these are the reason they didn’t put a roadmap up like last time, people take the list as if it’s set in stone the moment they read about it. They have already implemented alot of requested features etc, it’s just a matter of time. They aren’t as big as Blizzard or something so they have to push certain things further down the list.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

There were never ANY promises on WHEN crafted precursors would be released. Granted, they indicated they were aiming for 2013 and they are obviously behind schedule on this, so an inquiry is justified.

They actually kinda did if you read the original blog, it just simply got push back on Nov 2013, then another push back somewhere along late Mar/early Apr this year.(The later push back was done by a dev necro a month old thread on crafting forum, most probably didn’t catch it.)

Granted, I am more concern on the new legendary than precursor crafting, but guessing those two probably will release in one package.

2014 is now half gone...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

They actually kinda did if you read the original blog, it just simply got push back on Nov 2013, then another push back somewhere along late Mar/early Apr this year.(The later push back was done by a dev necro a month old thread on crafting forum, most probably didn’t catch it.)

Granted, I am more concern on the new legendary than precursor crafting, but guessing those two probably will release in one package.

That still was not a promise though. That was a soft deadline. A projected completion date, barring no issues. And it was spelled out that it wasn’t set in stone and could change due to variables in the development process. They have said that we “will” see them, but have not given any hard deadline.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Lobo Dela Noche.5127

Lobo Dela Noche.5127

I think posts like these are the reason they didn’t put a roadmap up like last time, people take the list as if it’s set in stone the moment they read about it. They have already implemented alot of requested features etc, it’s just a matter of time. They aren’t as big as Blizzard or something so they have to push certain things further down the list.

Not being as big of a company is no reason to not have a roadmap.
It just means you don’t put as much stuff on it. Leaving customers in the dark is bad business.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Aiuris.9861

Aiuris.9861

They haven’t been speaking much about anything at all, really. They had this beautiful transparency policy, even apologizing for not including a silly little thing in one of the patch notes long ago, yet now we get significant changes to dungeons and sigils go undocumented, and while the community is dying to know what they were trying to do (because some work in inconsistent ways), they make absolute no comment on it.

(edited by Aiuris.9861)

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Well to be fair they have told us they were pushing the roadmap back a few times:

1. first it was supposed to be out before the end of January
2. Then we were told it would come after the end of S1
3. Then we were told it would come after the “feature” patch
3. Finally we were told it would come before the start of S2.

They still have one more day to push it back again.

2014 is now half gone...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Well to be fair they have told us they were pushing the roadmap back a few times:

1. first it was supposed to be out before the end of January
2. Then we were told it would come after the end of S1
3. Then we were told it would come after the “feature” patch
4. Finally we were told it would come before the start of S2.

They still have one more day to push it back again.

I hadn’t heard the last one. I think I would probably fall over laughing if they posted either the blog or the push back announcement like 5 minutes before they patched tomorrow.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.

It looks to me like people only ever read what they want.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

2014 is now half gone...

phys.7689

What you are really saying is its ok to meander and go nowhere.

If i tell people where i am going, they may expect me to get there, so if i dont tell them, i can do whatever i want and not be held responsible.

Its true, but its not a productive way of thinking. A productive way of thinking is to make promises and fulfill them.

IMO one of the big problems with the game is that it doesnt seem to have evolved or moved foward much, a lot of that can be tied to not having a roadmap that they wanted to follow, and worked towards filling.

Say it how you want, but they were vague when they talked of precursors, they said sometime this year, like 5 months before the end of the year. They are now like 6 months overdue, thats anywhere from a 9-6 month delay. That is like 1/10th to 1/20th the life of a good mmo.
For a single feature.

What if you bought a house with a problem, the seller said they would fix it before the end of the year, in july. next year, in june its still not fixed, is that acceptable? would you have been happier if the seller told you, i will fix it when i can, no promises?

honestly, its a problem. you can try to look on the bright side, or say they shouldnt make promises, but really thats stupid. When something needs to be done, You should say you will do something, and then you should do it, and when you can’t you should explain to the best of your ability why not, and still work toward doing it.

Its really simple, i flake out sometimes too, but i dont try to pretend im not flaking out, or act as if by not making any promises, i still dont have a responsibility to do something. And hiding behind a lack of a schedule doesnt change that.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

The only game company that so far I seen that stuck to its road map is SEGA Yes SEGA of JAPAN! They have always delivered every content update For Phantasy Star Online 2 since it launched except until the ddos attacks recently.

And SEGA’s game is much smaller (well maybe, the game is prety bulky in terms of file sizes) than GW 2 ever will be, so why hasn’t ANET even gotten on the ball at all, is a big problem!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

That’s not the first such thread either, and it’s for exactly those reasons that I do not think we will see any more of the looking ahead blogs from Colin, or any other dev. They simply are not going to put anything in writing that can even be remotely misconstrued until it is basically ready to be put into the game. Not just for features either. They’ve been cutting back on things like what they plan on doing for skill tweaks and such as well. As people kitten more and more, they talk less and less. Yet nobody notices the trend…

Oh, some of us have noticed.

I’ve also noticed the other side of it. The less they say, the more people latch on to what few things DO get said. Any little scraps that make it out are torn apart, analyzed, and turned every which way to see what they might mean. Conclusions are drawn and expectations are set, with no further information to correct the mistakes.

There’s two ways to deal with this: say as much as you can, or say as little as you can. Having seen a company try the first approach, and seeing ANet doing the second, I’ve got to say I like the “as much as you can” way better. I doubt ANet will change, though.

/shrug

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

2014 is now half gone...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Oh, some of us have noticed.

I’ve also noticed the other side of it. The less they say, the more people latch on to what few things DO get said. Any little scraps that make it out are torn apart, analyzed, and turned every which way to see what they might mean. Conclusions are drawn and expectations are set, with no further information to correct the mistakes.

There’s two ways to deal with this: say as much as you can, or say as little as you can. Having seen a company try the first approach, and seeing ANet doing the second, I’ve got to say I like the “as much as you can” way better. I doubt ANet will change, though.

/shrug

Being torn apart and analyzed seems to be pretty standard. People were doing it even when they were talking. And we still had the same jumping to conclusions, and such.

In the beginning Anet did say a lot more though. If you look back, they did do a lot of interviews and feedback and clarification, but it didn’t help. People still didn’t listen. They still nit picked, and only heard the pieces they wanted to hear. Take a look at the huge arguments over the manifesto for example. They had youtube clips, and interviews, etc where they clarified things. Where they tried to explain what they meant by certain phrases. To this day it makes no difference what they intended, or what they clarified. People still look at the manifesto and broadly proclaim they were lied to.

Yes, the first option (say as much as you can) seems like the better option, but the devs are only human. They are only going to be able to take so much kitten, so much negativity, before it finally wears them down. Considering the amount of bile they get from their “loyal” fans, I can completely understand not talking to us here. I don’t like it, but I can understand it.

They still talk to us through other outlets though. They chat with people via twitter and facebook. They are sociable when you catch them in the game. They “usually” answer some questions via their twitch streams (not a kitten ton, but a few if they have time). We get tid bits on the news feed, and they have seemingly regular interviews. They just aren’t talking to us “here.”

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Fix all the broken crap before introducing brand new stuff.

…Unless the brand new stuff fixes all the broken crap, then definitely!

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

2014 is now half gone...

Palador.2170

They still talk to us through other outlets though. They chat with people via twitter and facebook. They are sociable when you catch them in the game. They “usually” answer some questions via their twitch streams (not a kitten ton, but a few if they have time). We get tid bits on the news feed, and they have seemingly regular interviews. They just aren’t talking to us “here.”

Actually, thanks for bringing that up. I think this is actually another part of the problem.

It’s far too easy for someone to miss out on news, or hear only part of what’s been said. They then hear other things second hand from other people, or miss a clarification, and a bad situation becomes worse. I know the boards can be pretty toxic at times, but that’s still the best place to put news and links if they want everyone to see them. There needs to be an easy central gathering place for any information they’ve put out there.

There will always be those that only hear what they want to hear. I’ve done it myself. But making it easier to get all the facts can at least help those that try to be open to news.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Yunigen.2897

Yunigen.2897

honestly, its a problem. you can try to look on the bright side, or say they shouldnt make promises, but really thats stupid. When something needs to be done, You should say you will do something, and then you should do it, and when you can’t you should explain to the best of your ability why not, and still work toward doing it.

Its really simple, i flake out sometimes too, but i dont try to pretend im not flaking out, or act as if by not making any promises, i still dont have a responsibility to do something. And hiding behind a lack of a schedule doesnt change that.

Emphasis on the bolded part. People tend to forget Anet’s lack of accountability with some of their statements and questionable game patches (or lack thereof), like the whole Fractured release fiasco (progression reset, no leaderboard, no compensation, etc.) followed by how they’ve treated the whole issue as if it has been “solved (see dev posts on this issue).”

2014 is now half gone...

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually, thanks for bringing that up. I think this is actually another part of the problem.

It’s far too easy for someone to miss out on news, or hear only part of what’s been said. They then hear other things second hand from other people, or miss a clarification, and a bad situation becomes worse. I know the boards can be pretty toxic at times, but that’s still the best place to put news and links if they want everyone to see them. There needs to be an easy central gathering place for any information they’ve put out there.

There will always be those that only hear what they want to hear. I’ve done it myself. But making it easier to get all the facts can at least help those that try to be open to news.

And I agree with this. There was another thread regarding social media elsewhere, but to reiterate my thoughts from there – Anything that is “official” should be on the gw2 website as well as on the social media feeds (tumblr, twitter, youtube, facebook, etc). This should include any interviews and such, not just the blog posts or tweets that they do. This would help increase the absorbency of information across the largest potential group of players. To help eliminate some of the ‘he said, she said’ or ‘well i didn’t see that’ types of issues.

Obviously this wouldn’t really do anything for some players’ reading comprehension (or lack of), but its a start.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Actually, if NCSoft loosens its “grip” on GW2 a bit, that could be a very GOOD thing in terms of development direction and pressure to be the cash cow of the company.

Maybe that is why Wildstar is sub based… one can only hope that we won’t be seeing patches so focused in the gemstore now and more focused on content.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

We had word about precursor crafting back in April:

We want to let you know that the ability to build your precursor will not be in our upcoming Feature Pack. The way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 have changed quite a bit since we initially talked about that feature, and our main horizontal progression systems are about to get some additional updates in the upcoming feature pack. Because of that, we are looking into several ways to integrate building your precursor into our new updated reward and progression systems we’re working on, which is requiring additional development time and iteration. As always, we’ll share details on this system once it’s far enough along in production we’re ready to discuss it.

Source

I speculate it’s something to do with the unlocking achievements thing to do with the LS.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

2014 is now half gone...

Brother Grimm.5176

Not being as big of a company is no reason to not have a roadmap.
It just means you don’t put as much stuff on it. Leaving customers in the dark is bad business.

Even if every light you shine is turned into a bonfire to light the torches and storm your castle? I seriously feel the entitled, elitist, greedy attitude of the community is 75% to blame for the darkness all around you.

I’m sure they DO have a roadmap, but they just don’t want to show it to the brats sitting in the back seat……you will see the Disney World signs soon enough.

On precursor crafting (my 2 cents): They never had ANY intention of allowing existing precursors to be crafted. They will be part of the all new series of Legendary weapons.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

We want to let you know that the ability to build your precursor will not be in our upcoming Feature Pack. The way progression and rewards work in Guild Wars 2 have changed quite a bit since we initially talked about that feature, and our main horizontal progression systems are about to get some additional updates in the upcoming feature pack. Because of that, we are looking into several ways to integrate building your precursor into our new updated reward and progression systems we’re working on, which is requiring additional development time and iteration. As always, we’ll share details on this system once it’s far enough along in production we’re ready to discuss it.

Source

I speculate it’s something to do with the unlocking achievements thing to do with the LS.

Considering a few weeks (months?) after that post, they posted a news announcement about the Story Journal changes.

On that note however, they never PROMISED to give us precursor crafting/scavenger hunt last year. And not one person has been able to find a post by ANYONE on their payroll that explicitly states “We promise precursor crafting/scavenger hunt will be out by the end of 2013.” All we have are people extracting incorrect and wildly wrong meanings from posts that merely say if everything goes well and does not change, it should be out around then.

2014 is now half gone...

phys.7689

Source

Considering a few weeks (months?) after that post, they posted a news announcement about the Story Journal changes.

On that note however, they never PROMISED to give us precursor crafting/scavenger hunt last year. And not one person has been able to find a post by ANYONE on their payroll that explicitly states “We promise precursor crafting/scavenger hunt will be out by the end of 2013.” All we have are people extracting incorrect and wildly wrong meanings from posts that merely say if everything goes well and does not change, it should be out around then.

If some one pays me for an art commision, and i say, i should have it by next week. It means i should have it by next week. Sometimes i dont have it by next week, i cop pleas, make excuses, appologize, and try to get it to them asap.

But see i recognize, the customer has a right to ask me when, and i should tell them, and should i go beyond the date, thats really my fault, my poor planning, or lack of being able to identify the issues.
When you are late, and the customer hounds you every day, he isnt wrong, i am wrong, because i am already very late.

There is also a factor of degrees of lateness, this has been a known issue since like november year 1?
they said they were going to have a solution ready by the end of 2013, that was the outside date, not the best case scenario, then it went on for 6 months? 6 months is a long time in the development business, technologies rise and fall in that time period, processing power goes up by like 25%,
for one feature?
and i think we can say that the feature will probably not be drastically different from other items that already exist in game.

I mean if its the greatest progression/mmo gaming/fun/ ever, i will say kudos monsiuer anet, twas worth it’all but thats highly doubtful.

2014 is now half gone...

Aidan Savage.2078

Source

If some one pays me for an art commision, and i say, i should have it by next week. It means i should have it by next week. Sometimes i dont have it by next week, i cop pleas, make excuses, appologize, and try to get it to them asap.

But see i recognize, the customer has a right to ask me when, and i should tell them, and should i go beyond the date, thats really my fault, my poor planning, or lack of being able to identify the issues.
When you are late, and the customer hounds you every day, he isnt wrong, i am wrong, because i am already very late.

There is also a factor of degrees of lateness, this has been a known issue since like november year 1?
they said they were going to have a solution ready by the end of 2013, that was the outside date, not the best case scenario, then it went on for 6 months? 6 months is a long time in the development business, technologies rise and fall in that time period, processing power goes up by like 25%,
for one feature?
and i think we can say that the feature will probably not be drastically different from other items that already exist in game.

I mean if its the greatest progression/mmo gaming/fun/ ever, i will say kudos monsiuer anet, twas worth it’all but thats highly doubtful.

Art is not code development. Dont ever mistake them as being the same. The rest of your post is pretty much bunk too. What the hell do changes in technology have to do with the lack of any definitive proof they PROMISED precursor crafting last year?

2014 is now half gone...

phys.7689

Source

for one feature?

Art is not code development. Dont ever mistake them as being the same. The rest of your post is pretty much bunk too. What the hell do changes in technology have to do with the lack of any definitive proof they PROMISED precursor crafting last year?

i have done both, the requirements dont change, because you are providing a service

promise is an irrelevant word, in business any thing you publicly announce is expected to occur. And not announcing anything is not the proper answer to the equation, the proper answer is to deliver. Every other application out there says hey, this software is coming out in fall, it generally comes out in fall, if they say its coming out before end of the year, it generally comes out before the end of the year. Sometimes they are late, but they dont act like they arent, the apologize, and try to get out asap, telling people new dates they expect to deploy.

they said this is what is planned for 2013, they still havent delivered it 6 months later. You can bet if i have a client who wants an application, and i tell them i should have it finished by end of the year, when its 6 months late, it will not be overlooked, or easily accepted. They will continue to ask you when it is coming and they will be right to do so, and they were right to ask you for a date to begin with.

this has nothing to do with software development, its just sound business practices.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

I’ve never had major problems with the fact that Anet doesn’t stick to deadlines or doesn’t implement promised content.

The problem is that Anet leaves us all in the dark for huge periods at a time. If they just kept us updated once a month then at least we would know what we can expect in the distant future. Just keep us informed!

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Anyone else get the feeling they’re doing as little as they think they can possibly get away with? Game development feels so lazy and sloppy…

Ah yes, they need to release stuff for all those subscribers.

Oh…

There are multiple games that don’t release stuff at all between expansions, and yet they somehow manage to get away with it just fine. And yet GW2 that releases stuff twice a month is “doing as little as they think they can possibly get away with?”

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

Personally I think the updates have been wonderful and the game is in a great place right now, only forward from here

2014 is now half gone...

Palador.2170

Personally, I think ANet is too big for their own good.

Anyone else ever have a boss that assigns people and teams to get things done, but then starts to shuffle things around as new things pop up? Eventually, nobody’s working on any of the long term stuff, and when it’s due the boss gets all upset that SOMEONE ELSE must have been slacking off, because he knows he assigned someone to that!

I think that’s what’s happening with ANet right now. Their large size may give them the manpower to do a lot, but it also makes it easy to do nothing. And so, the long term projects stay long term, unless someone can hold their feet to the fire and force them to focus.

2014 is now half gone...

Aidan Savage.2078

Anyone else ever have a boss that assigns people and teams to get things done, but then starts to shuffle things around as new things pop up? Eventually, nobody’s working on any of the long term stuff, and when it’s due the boss gets all upset that SOMEONE ELSE must have been slacking off, because he knows he assigned someone to that!

I think that’s what’s happening with ANet right now. Their large size may give them the manpower to do a lot, but it also makes it easy to do nothing. And so, the long term projects stay long term, unless someone can hold their feet to the fire and force them to focus.

Technically Anet is small. It’s NCSoft that sits above them dictating their direction. So it’s not Anet being a problem, it’s NCSoft.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Personally, I think it’s simply a case of the Living Story + Cash Shop being so financially successful for them they’re not really concerned with much else. They ask themselves, “why bother with X when Y is already working so well for us?” And because there isn’t a great answer to that question, most of their resources are allocated accordingly.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

this is why they stopped previewing anything with us………..the “we’d like to have craftable precursors by end of 2013”, among other things, haunts them to this day.

its been 2 yrs…..their development cycle has now settled to “content” every 2-4 weeks…..“balance/bugfixing” (which laughably they seem to treat as the same thing) and “features” once or twice a year (awful in the case of balance/bugfixing).

so your best case scenario for craftable pre’s (or any of the other so-called promises) is around December.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

2014 is now half gone...

Palador.2170

Technically Anet is small. It’s NCSoft that sits above them dictating their direction. So it’s not Anet being a problem, it’s NCSoft.

They dictate the direction, somewhat, but not how it’s done. That being said, I do think that having them passing down orders to ANet sure doesn’t help them to focus on long term goals.

2014 is now half gone...

phys.7689

this is why they stopped previewing anything with us………..the “we’d like to have craftable precursors by end of 2013”, among other things, haunts them to this day.

its been 2 yrs…..their development cycle has now settled to “content” every 2-4 weeks…..“balance/bugfixing” (which laughably they seem to treat as the same thing) and “features” once or twice a year (awful in the case of balance/bugfixing).

so your best case scenario for craftable pre’s (or any of the other so-called promises) is around December.

it was not a, we d like to have this, it was, this is what you can expect and we have planned for 2nd half of 2013.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/looking-ahead-guild-wars-2-in-2013/

“but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.”

it wasnt an obscure maybe, it was a solid plan. It did not happen, it is 6 months after the latest possible day that could have still been within the schedule.

really guys, i know you love em, but come on, you cant really expect people to not ask you where is something you told them you would see 6 months ago. And once again, promising nothing is not a solution, the problem is, in about a year of planning/programing they have been unable to enact this feature. Thats kind of noticeable.
keep in mind guild wars 1 released a whole entire campaign in that time 3 times. FFXIV has added substantial content WHILE rebuilding the whole game in 2 years.

people arent talking crazy when they complain here, this has been an issue since like 3 months into the game, 2013 was just the point at which they said they would finally have a solution ready

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I agree. As long as there are no bumps in the road cash flow wise, and no resin for NCSoft to wonder what’s going on with Guild Wars 2, the Dev’s might be able to get back to what they do best. Making a great game. Publishers sometimes I feel have too much say on when a games ready to ship. Bioware have suffered from this ever since EA bought them. They went from making Epic single player Games like KoTOR, Jade Empire Mass Effect and Dragon Age to the shells that DA2 ME2/3 TOR. Ok I did enjoy ME2/3 but I would have enjoyed them more if they had been more like ME1.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

it was not a, we d like to have this, it was, this is what you can expect and we have planned for 2nd half of 2013.

“but what I can say is you will see a specific way to build precursor items on your way to a legendary. On top of this, you’ll also see new legendary weapons and new types of legendary gear in 2013.”

it wasnt an obscure maybe, it was a solid plan. It did not happen, it is 6 months after the latest possible day that could have still been within the schedule.

really guys, i know you love em, but come on, you cant really expect people to not ask you where is something you told them you would see 6 months ago. And once again, promising nothing is not a solution, the problem is, in about a year of planning/programing they have been unable to enact this feature. Thats kind of noticeable.
keep in mind guild wars 1 released a whole entire campaign in that time 3 times. FFXIV has added substantial content WHILE rebuilding the whole game in 2 years.

people arent talking crazy when they complain here, this has been an issue since like 3 months into the game, 2013 was just the point at which they said they would finally have a solution ready

When people quote things such as the above, I wonder why they always leave out this important statement:

‘As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.’

2014 is now half gone...

phys.7689

When people quote things such as the above, I wonder why they always leave out this important statement:

‘As always, the content above is subject to change as we test and iterate on these systems.’

everything is subject to change in life, a disclaimer doesnt mean you shouldnt expect something, it means you cant sue em.

I mean if you are saying that you should always take everything people say at the minimum possible meaning, i have to disagree.

If i say. " i should be able to do that for you next week", there is a ton of wiggle room, but that doesnt mean i shouldnt actually do it within a week, it doesnt mean i dont expect to be hearing from a client in a week, doesnt mean im not expected to give them a new timeline.

Really guys, take this situation out of your favorite game/company, do you really expect so little from people? Is it really crazy to you that others expect something?

eh well every human is dif i suppose

2014 is now half gone...

Relshdan.6854

everything is subject to change in life, a disclaimer doesnt mean you shouldnt expect something, it means you cant sue em.

I mean if you are saying that you should always take everything people say at the minimum possible meaning, i have to disagree.

If i say. " i should be able to do that for you next week", there is a ton of wiggle room, but that doesnt mean i shouldnt actually do it within a week, it doesnt mean i dont expect to be hearing from a client in a week, doesnt mean im not expected to give them a new timeline.

Really guys, take this situation out of your favorite game/company, do you really expect so little from people? Is it really crazy to you that others expect something?

absolutely understand where you are coming from, but that doesn’t change the fact that they will no longer preview content with us, because of that fateful “roadmap” blog. they failed to deliver, and we let them know it. now they give us knowledge of nothing…. to look forward to….. until it’s just about to appear.

they do plenty that bothers me (glacier-pace balance iteration….no QA team…horrible new trait unlocking system, etc)……….but there is no use harping over missed deadlines because it will not change a thing……..they know they missed it, and they know we are mad about it.

and we now know just how slowly they add features to the game. we also know they will bypass things we ask for to develop or revamp things no one asked for (megaserver….trait system, instead of new game modes in pvp, new zones, weapons, races, or that “ever-so-important” precursor scavenger hunt).

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

absolutely understand where you are coming from, but that doesn’t change the fact that they will no longer preview content with us, because of that fateful “roadmap” blog. they failed to deliver, and we let them know it. now they give us knowledge of nothing…. to look forward to….. until it’s just about to appear.

they do plenty that bothers me (glacier-pace balance iteration….no QA team…horrible new trait unlocking system, etc)……….but there is no use harping over missed deadlines because it will not change a thing……..they know they missed it, and they know we are mad about it.

and we now know just how slowly they add features to the game. we also know they will bypass things we ask for to develop or revamp things no one asked for (megaserver….trait system, instead of new game modes in pvp, new zones, weapons, races, or that “ever-so-important” precursor scavenger hunt).

Ya except I don’t see you walking children in nature.

2014 is now half gone...

Relshdan.6854

what the kitten does that even mean.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

XD

2014 is now half gone...

Relshdan.6854

XD

lol…i still don’t know what it means, but thanks for the laugh.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

But see i recognize, the customer has a right to ask me when, and i should tell them, and should i go beyond the date, thats really my fault, my poor planning, or lack of being able to identify the issues. When you are late, and the customer hounds you every day, he isnt wrong, i am wrong, because i am already very late.

I’m not going to say that GW2 players don’t have the right to bring the issue up. They do. If they think they’re entitled to the fulfillment of a developer “promise,” that’s on them.

That said, however, your analogy is not a great fit. If a customer asks for an art commission, he has entered into a (presumably verbal) contract with the artist in which he offers to pay for the piece, which the artist then agrees to produce within time frame X. There is now an agreement between them, and the artist’s failure to live up to his end of it is a breach of contract. The customer, in that situation is entitled to demand explanation and expedited delivery of the promised artwork.

GW2 customers bought the game. The base game included neither precursor crafting nor a promise there would be precursor crafting. Nor does the customer pay directly for whatever ANet might promise to insert into the game — unless ANet structures it that way. Since they have not done so as yet, GW2 customers do not have the same contractual relationship with ANet over this issue as that of the artist and customer in your analogy.

I’ve done both art commissions and freebies. I feel a lot less urgency about keeping to a timetable for a freebie than I do for a paid commission. I’d tend to be more up front about that when I agreed to the freebie… “Sure, Joe, I’ll draw Dagnar the Dwarf for you, but I can’t commit to a deadline.” If Joe asked, I’d give him a ballpark if I felt I could. If he got strident about it, the relationship might get strained and he might never get his piece.

So, the issue is not that the customer is entitled to an answer the way an art commission customer would be . The issue is that ANet is squandering the good will of some of their customers by failing to come up with a new estimate.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

In something as complex as a game like this, a statement of intent is nothing more than a this is what I plan to do. The fence argument is not valid. Either a fence is fixed, or it’s not fixed. And depending on how important that fence is, well, you know, I had a fence that remained unrepaired for a long time because other repairs did take priority. I did say I’d get to it and I will, when other things stop breaking.

That said, this isn’t a toggle yes or no, fixed or not fixed. For example, the original plan of what they were going to do with legendary precusors isn’t really going to work with changes they’ve made to the game otherwise and they’ve had to abandon that. That’s completely unforseeable, because when they spoke about the legendary thing, they didn’t have the other changes going in.

An MMO is like an ecosystem. Everything affects everything else. There are plenty of things they didn’t promise us in that post like the wardrobe and account bound dyes that made it into the game.

You’re trying to simplify something that’s much more complicated than it is.

Also, if I say I’m going to fix a fence, I’m one guy. I either do it or don’t. If someone says something the company is planning on and there are 300 people, they can only approximately speak for 300 people. They can’t speak for all the people. They could totally intend to put something in the game that’s later vetoed (for reasons good or bad) by a group of bosses. It’s just not that simple.

An MMO isn’t a fence. It’s not as simple as a fence. Things that should take a week might take six months because programming is sometimes like that.

When I order rare steak in a restaurant, I expect to get rare steak. But I’m pretty sure there aren’t many buildings that go up on time and under budget.

2014 is now half gone...

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Personally, I think it’s simply a case of the Living Story + Cash Shop being so financially successful for them they’re not really concerned with much else. They ask themselves, “why bother with X when Y is already working so well for us?” And because there isn’t a great answer to that question, most of their resources are allocated accordingly.

This. If the game is not eventuating the way you’d like it to, then don’t support it. Don’t spend any money on gems and discourage your friends from spending money as well.

downed state is bad for PVP