217 HoT Mastery Pts: Wiki Wrong?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Q:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

I was just analyzing the list of HoT Mastery Points to see which would be easy for me to get. I copied the list from the wiki page to a spreadsheet and saw that there actually were only 189. The top of the HoT section says there are 217. Just in case my copy / paste was off I counted the MP on the actual web page. Again I got 189. There is nothing on the web page to say what the other 28 MP are or where I could see a list of them.

In addition, 5 MP are listed that do not count toward the live game: the Beta MP. If you click on one it says “Notes: As with other rewards during the beta, these achievements were not transferable to the main account.”

So at the very least we need to remove the 5 Beta MP from that list of all “available” MP.

But assuming that this is actually the entire list of HoT MP available, without the 5 Beta MP the actual total is 184.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

A:

The wiki has been corrected – the actual total number of HoT Mastery Points is 185.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Wouldn’t this be more apt for the Wiki’s Talk page?

Or, just edit the page. /shrug

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Djinn.9245

Wouldn’t this be more apt for the Wiki’s Talk page?

Well, I would like the general forum population to have the opportunity to answer if they have information. This question is about the Wiki on it’s face, but the underlying question is about the total number of HoT Masteries.

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

Whats current max now…. 186?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s a bug in the wiki software adding up the points, so this note is appropriate for the talk page so the wiki gurus can fix it.

Which is why you should always report wiki discrepencies on the relevant talk page (even if you also mention them elsewhere).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Illconceived Was Na.9781

OP is discussing the total unlocks available, not how many mastery points you can spend to date.

Djinn.9245

There’s a bug in the wiki software adding up the points, so this note is appropriate for the talk page so the wiki gurus can fix it.

Which is why you should always report wiki discrepencies on the relevant talk page (even if you also mention them elsewhere).

So you are saying that the total expressed in the text above the list is a formula?

Assuming that is true, I wouldn’t have any way to know that – I thought a person wrote that into the text. I also didn’t know it was “wrong” (therefore my question), so I wouldn’t presume to say so in the wiki talk.

However, it is a generally good note that if you do see something wrong with the wiki to bring it up in the Talk page.

Posted by: slashlizardy.9167

slashlizardy.9167

OP is discussing the total unlocks available, not how many mastery points you can spend to date.

I understand, I was just tacking on a side question….

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

The current max mastery level (using them) is 186, but my account has quite a lot of spare points at this time so I don’t find the 217 to be odd at all. All I can think of is that the list is incomplete or perhaps does not include living story masteries.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Is the list including each racial point, when only one is actually available? That would account for a few.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So you are saying that the total expressed in the text above the list is a formula?

Assuming that is true, I wouldn’t have any way to know that – I thought a person wrote that into the text. I also didn’t know it was “wrong” (therefore my question), so I wouldn’t presume to say so in the wiki talk.

However, it is a generally good note that if you do see something wrong with the wiki to bring it up in the Talk page.

I was just trying to provide you with an explanation; I didn’t expect anyone to realize it was a formula.

I went to look at the page to figure out why it was wrong — if someone typed in a bad number, I was planning to update it with yours (after verifying, of course ). It was only after the research that I figured out it used a formula and that seemed to be broken. (And that’s where I’m out of my depth — couldn’t figure out how to fix it.)

This is among the reasons why it’s best to ask the question on the wiki — someone there will figure it out (and if not, you can always ask here or reddit etc).

I want to actively encourage you to engage with the wiki community. I really didn’t mean to shut down your question or discourage you from asking here — I’m sorry that it might have come across that way.

And it’s always better to ask on the wiki talk page, regardless of whether you are sure or unsure about whether it was a typo, a mistake, someone failing to update a previously true number, or something you might have missed.

Djinn.9245

I was just trying to provide you with an explanation; I didn’t expect anyone to realize it was a formula.

I went to look at the page to figure out why it was wrong — if someone typed in a bad number, I was planning to update it with yours (after verifying, of course ). It was only after the research that I figured out it used a formula and that seemed to be broken. (And that’s where I’m out of my depth — couldn’t figure out how to fix it.)

This is among the reasons why it’s best to ask the question on the wiki — someone there will figure it out (and if not, you can always ask here or reddit etc).

I want to actively encourage you to engage with the wiki community. I really didn’t mean to shut down your question or discourage you from asking here — I’m sorry that it might have come across that way.

And it’s always better to ask on the wiki talk page, regardless of whether you are sure or unsure about whether it was a typo, a mistake, someone failing to update a previously true number, or something you might have missed.

Ok, I added a comment to the wiki talk page. Thanks.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Actually: thank you
You’re the one that noticed the discrepancy, did the math, and took the time to post about it. You did the heavy lifting.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Is the list including each racial point, when only one is actually available? That would account for a few.

It used to say they were all available (I thought my personal total was wrong for the longest time) then eventually they put in a footnote that you only get it for the first race to do a given chapter (while still encouraging you to do the other races). I think the OP is asking about HOT points though and they are counted for central Tyria.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Actually: thank you
You’re the one that noticed the discrepancy, did the math, and took the time to post about it. You did the heavy lifting.

That bears repeating. Thank you for all the above.

G R E E N E R