2338 hours no precurser drop

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kenage Achalarus.4276

Kenage Achalarus.4276

I play Guild Wars 2 a lot and really love the game i am currently working on the Legendary Great sword Eternity got gift of Fortune Gift of metal and getting close to Gift of Darkness and light just need my loadstones and more T6, Dawn and Dusk, but what I am wondering is how long do you need to play or what is the avrage of hours played to get a precursor? Note i have never had a precursor drop and every time i read up on “Precursor scavenger hunt” and seeing only one respond to it being of “were working on it” I would like to know. this is why I’m starting this topic what is the average of time do you need for a precursor? and even if you never had a drop a post of hours is ok. so with that being said here we go keep it civil and on topic.

Attachments:

a Mesmer with a Greatsword [Confusion], your mind has been [Mind Wrack]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, I got one in November, but I suppose that doesn’t count. ~2000 hours now.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Certain things are more likely to drop precusors than others. Some people get them by throwing exotics into the mystic forge. You can get them from daily event and world boss chests. You can get them from guild missions. You can get them from fractal and dungeon reward chests.

You’re probably more likely to get them from those places than you are say, if you hang out in the open world in most zones.

I have a guildie that pretty much only hangs out in the open world, never does dungeons and doesn’t do a whole lot of world events. Her odds of getting one are far less than mine.

Also some special event chests can give you one too. I got mine during the Karka event. Apparently you can get them from leveling characters in WvW now (not character levels but WvW levels).

Kenage Achalarus.4276

yes I did the kakra event all dragons all daily chest rewarding events. and some players get lucky and some like myself suffer I don’t even keep track of how much Great swords I have dumped in the forge if I did I would of quit the game.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

i don t even want to count hours played and yellows/exotic/gold wasted in MF……

That led me to think for some players its easier to get each fotm skin that any precursor….

Infact i miss only few.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Vayne.8563

yes I did the kakra event all dragons all daily chest rewarding events. and some players get lucky and some like myself suffer I don’t even keep track of how much Great swords I have dumped in the forge if I did I would of quit the game.

Rare or exotic?

Kenage Achalarus.4276

Rare or exotic?

i have tried both recipes exaudic has cost me 5X more than rare rare=~1g25s Exaudic=8g. and i have tryed karma lvl75+GS and even dungion token greatswords CoF AC CE HoTW. no luck

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

i don t even want to count hours played and yellows/exotic/gold wasted in MF……

That led me to think for some players its easier to get each fotm skin that any precursor….

Infact i miss only few.

It most definetly is. A guildie got two fractal daggers on his thief. Sure it took like 2 months of daily 48 or something, but that’s nothing compared to a precursor.

TBH its kind of wierd the way droprate for them is designed… They should be far more common. You need another 1000 gold just for the other part of a legendary anyway.

But alas, they’ve promised us a scavenger hunt for so long now its not going to happen.

Vayne.8563

Rare or exotic?

i have tried both recipes exaudic has cost me 5X more than rare rare=~1g25s Exaudic=8g. and i have tryed karma lvl75+GS and even dungion token greatswords CoF AC CE HoTW. no luck

I wouldn’t go with rares at all. You’ll have a much better chance with exotics. You can also save in that amount of time and buy a precusor, hard though it be.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

I think im flagged as “Don’t ever give this character the chance to loot a precursor”… Been playing since the start of guild wars 2…and nada.Not that i care tbh,i’m not going for a legendary, but still..

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Think about the RNG:

• Getting a precursor to drop in the open world is a big deal.
  • Getting one specific precursor to drop in the open world is an enormous deal.
  • Getting two specific precursors to drop in the open world: forget about it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your chances of getting both Dawn and Dusk as drops is less than winning the lottery.

You’ll have to either buy Dawn and Dusk off the TP or dump tons of GS’s into the mystic forge. I’d recommend doing CoF runs as much as possible starting now — I’m expecting a nerf any day now.

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Well I am in the same leaky rowboat with 2,244 hours played and not even the scent of a precursor. That also includes a couple hundred rare greatswords that I crafted and flushed down the toilet and probably close to 80 exotic greatswords also flushed away.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Dumb Woob.9415

Dumb Woob.9415

exaudic

This is more sad than funny.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

Buying them is the best bet.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

exaudic

This is more sad than funny.

Don’t know about this person, but not everyone is a native English speaker and some people have dyslexia or similar troubles.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Torqueblue.1945

Torqueblue.1945

Well if this makes any of you who are going after one feel better I Have almost Zero chance of getting.
I don’t Do dungeons, or Fractals. I spend most of my time roaming where ever. You see that rock over there —? that’s my pillow.
I wipe my boogers on trees and animals. ( ya that amber pebble isn’t an amber pebble) and I don’t toss things in the toilet. I kill low level enemies and do low level events.
So ya you guys are so far ahead of me.

Scotch and Pills, what could possibly go wrong? – Max Payne

Posted by: randomfightfan.4091

randomfightfan.4091

Well, I got one in November, but I suppose that doesn’t count. ~2000 hours now.

I did the karka event 3 times, 2250 hours, around 300g in the toilet, 0 precursors.

I had hoped the rng gods would favor me after soloing dungeons. The short and long is they didn’t.

I have seen 2 people loot one from the forge and 1 person get legend from a fractal mob. That’s it.

Check out my page for some good thiefisms :)
http://www.youtube.com/user/randomfightfan/videos?view=0&flow=grid

(edited by randomfightfan.4091)

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

the best part is when there are only 3 reasonable ways to obtain a precursor:

1) manipulating TP…now making the game worse for most gamers is more rewarding than actually being good at the game itself …
This is tolerated and defended by some devs.

2) farming cof/coe (warriors+mesmer)

3) a huge amount of real moneys

There is nothing legendary in it obviously….

And i didn t even care, what really ruined all was putting legendary as a tier.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Roughly the same number of hours, focus on world events. I flush all rares in the MF since I don’t care about them. I get some very nice exotics and those that are not in demand I save up to put through the system again. The thing about random is that it is random, I could do this every day for 20 years and never get one since the odds are the same each time I try. I could do it and get a precusor from every try chest, MF whatever though ANET would take a serious look at it since the odds where probably shifted.

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

who cares about legendaries, just play the game.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: ref.8196

ref.8196

Don’t bother dumping stuff in to the mystic forge unless you have a few hundred gold to spend, in which case you might as well save up and buy it.

I worked out the chance of getting dusk using the mystic forge with 300g. It’s about 70%. And about a 90% of getting dusk or dawn. If anyone wants me to show you how I estimated that…

I put in 30g worth of rare swords and got Zap. I think I worked that to be about a 1% chance.

Posted by: Sokar Rostau.7316

Sokar Rostau.7316

Unless something has changed, Legendaries have identical stat’s as Exotics. Ascended is a tier, Legendary is a skin.

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular, but I find it amusing how often people complain that ANet promised no grinding for gear and use Legendaries as their proof. There is NO grinding for BiS weapons and armour in GW2. There is optional grinding for BiS jewellery. The only BiS item that requires grinding is the Backpiece, and even that is minor. Legendary skins require grinding, but they are entirely optional.

Dragonbrand – Reforged Vanguard [ReVa]
Kyxha 80 Ranger, Sokar 80 Necro
Niobe 80 Guardian, Symbaoe 45 Ele

Vayne.8563

Unless something has changed, Legendaries have identical stat’s as Exotics. Ascended is a tier, Legendary is a skin.

This isn’t directed at anyone in particular, but I find it amusing how often people complain that ANet promised no grinding for gear and use Legendaries as their proof. There is NO grinding for BiS weapons and armour in GW2. There is optional grinding for BiS jewellery. The only BiS item that requires grinding is the Backpiece, and even that is minor. Legendary skins require grinding, but they are entirely optional.

Anet has also said that when they release ascended weapons, which they plan to, the legendary will scale up to be the same stats as the ascended as they were always intended to have the highest stats in the game.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

No worry on not having your persecursor, you might have soon or later.

Besides, shooting rainbows??….overrated

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

i have close to 3200 hours, and i’ve had plenty of precursors drop. only problem is that the enemy zergs ran me over before i could get to the loot bag they were in.

at least that’s the lie i’m telling myself so that i don’t end up jumping out a frickin’ window.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I would start with the precursor, instead of building all gifts for Eternity bar the two most expensive parts … in my opinion, that’s not a good way to go. One doesn’t buy a wheel first and then ask how long one has to save up for the car itself.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Yargesh.4965

I would start with the precursor, instead of building all gifts for Eternity bar the two most expensive parts … in my opinion, that’s not a good way to go. One doesn’t buy a wheel first and then ask how long one has to save up for the car itself.

I am personally not going for a legendary but I don’t see any problem with working on what you can first and letting luck strike whenever it strikes. Just a difference of perspective really.

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

i have close to 3200 hours, and i’ve had plenty of precursors drop. only problem is that the enemy zergs ran me over before i could get to the loot bag they were in.

at least that’s the lie i’m telling myself so that i don’t end up jumping out a frickin’ window.

steel chests….those bags dont contain presursors….

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

steel chests….those bags dont contain presursors….

Since that was a recent change, most of his playtime this might actually have happened…

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

As someone stated early on, some places have more chances to drop an item of said quality than others, but at the end of the day it’s down to plain and simple luck.

As previous experience for a example, I have fairly high MF gear on my Warrior, and have had for a few months now, I’ve had fairly consistent rares from drops and chests, but only as recently as last week did I get my first dropped exotic after 1200 odd hours played, in WvW, on my exotic geared berserker Engineer, killing BPBL’s Garrison Champion.

My friend, who I play GW2 with a heck of a lot, only has 300 or so more hours than me, has probably dropped in excess of 10 exotics, all in front of my very eyes, he even got the rifle precursor during the Lost Shores event.

Either way, it’s all luck, I know mine is pretty rotten and it seems others get ‘preferred treatment’, but someday either my hard work will pay off or we’ll get a scavenger hunt, and I’m more than prepared to wait.

Save my heart tomorrow.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

I read someplace where the developers have said they want to add a new way to earn a precursor that players can clearly work toward and follow their progress. If I remember right it said it would require game play in a lot of different areas of the game.

They have also said that the quality of items you put into the forge has an effect on your chances of a precursor dropping, so Exotic > Rare and perhaps Named Exotic > Exotic?

Finally, when I search for ‘where do precursors drop’ there are LOTS of people who have listed Orr as the place where their precursor dropped. Again this makes sense given the difficulty of this area in comparison to the rest of the game. Champions and Temples are probably good places to hang around to max your drop chances. If you are roaming around in lower levels areas for most of your 2000+ hours, its not surprise that one hasn’t dropped.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I hear you brother. Im around 1000 hours played. I think i threw 200-300 rares into the forge along with a dozen exotics. Nothing.

Im saving, just like you. I COULD sell everything I have and just make pure gold..buy my precursor, and then just farm the rest of the mats. But I have a hard time justifying giving one individual person 600 of my HARD earned gold. Id rather drop 600 gold in the forge.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Pfft L2C (learn to click). Get those mad loot clicking skills, man.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

Posted by: Scoundrel.2139

Scoundrel.2139

I know for a fact you can get a prec from dumping lvl 72 exotics into the MF. I managed, and I’ll be the first to admit it was freaking lucky, to get the Chaos Gun after dumping in 24 Exo pistols (lvl72). Then, randomly dumping in rares the other day I got the Torch precursor.
Speaking from this, which is biased from a lucky perspective, I’d say buying lvl 72exo’s is the way to go.

EDIT: I’m not hardcore… only have 2 lv 80’s and a lvl 13. Only one fully geared with Nightmare exotic gear.

Veni, Vidi, Victa.
Quidquid Latine Dictum Sit, Altum Videtur

cesmode.4257

I know for a fact you can get a prec from dumping lvl 72 exotics into the MF. I managed, and I’ll be the first to admit it was freaking lucky, to get the Chaos Gun after dumping in 24 Exo pistols (lvl72). Then, randomly dumping in rares the other day I got the Torch precursor.
Speaking from this, which is biased from a lucky perspective, I’d say buying lvl 72exo’s is the way to go.

EDIT: I’m not hardcore… only have 2 lv 80’s and a lvl 13. Only one fully geared with Nightmare exotic gear.

Reconfirm: You put level 72 exotics into the forge and it kitten out a precursor? I shall try.
What are lvl 72 exotics going for on the ah?

Scoundrel.2139

Reconfirm: You put level 72 exotics into the forge and it kitten out a precursor? I shall try.
What are lvl 72 exotics going for on the ah?

Yep, lvl 72. I bought 30 of them all in one go and got it after putting in 24-ish (don’t remember if it included the ones I got from the actual MF crafting of the original 24, of tha tmakes sense) but they were def 72.

Edit: As in, 24 +6 (6 being the ones spat out)

Veni, Vidi, Victa.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’ve got 3 in about 2000 total hours

Dusk in November from Jofast escort event in CS
The Legend last month from Lyssa farming @ Union
Dusk again two days ago from an instigator chest

I’m a lucky sob

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

I have almost 2600 hrs in and have never seen one except the one I bought, I think they manipulate certain peoples rng (like mine) so they will never get them cause I give them hell on these forums, but they deserve it! And I will continue to do it until they either ban me or this game goes down in flames…

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Scoundrel.2139

I have almost 2600 hrs in and have never seen one except the one I bought, I think they manipulate certain peoples rng (like mine) so they will never get them cause I give them hell on these forums, but they deserve it! And I will continue to do it until they either ban me or this game goes down in flames…

I have to say this is a rather emotional response to a rational debate on the merits of adding probability into certain game mechanics…

Veni, Vidi, Victa.

Vol.5241

Funny – I’ve been complaining here non-stop about them nerfing all the farming spots since that’s where I originally got all my gold. I guess they want to force me to buy gems :P

Jokes on them, I’ve made 1000g in the past month with these precursors, and nothing to spend all my gold on :P

No gem purchases for you, Anet!

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Mystery.7392

Mystery.7392

2400 hours now.
Dragon events everyday, guild missions every week, Karka events… no pre yet.
Guess I’m really unlucky

Aloha Luana – The Iron Triangle [IRON]
Warrior – Gunnar’s Hold
Will always love Elona!

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

Funny – I’ve been complaining here non-stop about them nerfing all the farming spots since that’s where I originally got all my gold. I guess they want to force me to buy gems :P

Jokes on them, I’ve made 1000g in the past month with these precursors, and nothing to spend all my gold on :P

No gem purchases for you, Anet!

I totally agree, whats the use on even going for a legendary anymore if you can’t even acquire the mats anymore, it’s like they put these weapons in game and say “hey, you like these? to bad, you can’t have them anymore…” Cause they have taken every farming spot in the game out, every place I use to go and farm for mats has been nerfed to crap and with no real end game in this game what is the use in sticking around, to see what they nerf next?

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Vayne.8563

Because most of the stuff is the same for ALL legendaries, there’s no harm in starting a generic one, and worrying about the cost later. At least one precusor is under 25 gold.

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

You sound really entitled to have a legendary weapon. All those hours. Very, very, entitled to a legendary weapon.

cesmode.4257

I am farming the generic gifts first, Gift of Fortune and Gift of Mastery. Once I have those out of the way, I’ll either drop everything I have into the forge like a fiend, or save save save and buy…even though I seriously despise giving one individual person so much gold.

In the event that I see I’ll never get my precursor via mystic toilet or buying from TP….I’ll just save these two gifts for when, if ever, I get a lucky drop. Lucky as in any precursor worth more than 300 gold…thats half the price of the one I am after. Sell it, and farm the rest..gogogo! Otherwise, the gifts will sit and collect dust. At that point I’ll work on the mystic forge skins or other skins or whatever.

(edited by cesmode.4257)

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

In 3000 (just hit minutes ago) hours I have yet to obtain one. I have thrown very rare sword, great sword, rifle, staff, shield, hammer, long bow, and short bow I have obtained after initial equipment of my toons into the forge to no avail. I have also thrown countless dungeon exotics in as well.

I have had all my gifts ready to go for a while, yet a precursor eludes me. I have had plenty of means to purchase one for a long time but, I feel that it is not acceptable that I am required to purchase one off the tp. Heck with all the stuff I have thrown in the forge I could have easily paid for dusk or the lover long ago, although tbh I don’t care which one as I only want it for the login medal.

I do not want it easy to obtain one. I simply do not want to have to buy one off the tp. I don’t care if it takes another 3k hours as long as it is actually obtainable via game play.

To me there is something fundamentally wrong with requiring (situational) us to buy things off the tp………I’ll end my post with that sentiment.

Serenity now~Insanity later

cesmode.4257

In 3000 (just hit minutes ago) hours I have yet to obtain one. I have thrown very rare sword, great sword, rifle, staff, shield, hammer, long bow, and short bow I have obtained after initial equipment of my toons into the forge to no avail. I have also thrown countless dungeon exotics in as well.

I have had all my gifts ready to go for a while, yet a precursor eludes me. I have had plenty of means to purchase one for a long time but, I feel that it is not acceptable that I am required to purchase one off the tp. Heck with all the stuff I have thrown in the forge I could have easily paid for dusk or the lover long ago, although tbh I don’t care which one as I only want it for the login medal.

I do not want it easy to obtain one. I simply do not want to have to buy one off the tp. I don’t care if it takes another 3k hours as long as it is actually obtainable via game play.

To me there is something fundamentally wrong with requiring (situational) us to buy things off the tp………I’ll end my post with that sentiment.

I agree. I, as well as many others, feel buying such an important piece for a legendary is..not legendary..not epic. You can buy the rest of the materials off the TP, or go to X location and farm Y materials..you know youll be getting drops. With precursors, thers no garuntee.

Vol.5241

I’m pretty sure you have in one way or another bought the other components for your legendary.

Why would the precursor be exempt from that?

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I am personally not going for a legendary but I don’t see any problem with working on what you can first and letting luck strike whenever it strikes. Just a difference of perspective really.

I don’t count on luck. That’s bad practice.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Yargesh.4965

I don’t count on it just do whatever and if it happens great if not keep doing something else. He could stumble on the money needed to buy the thing while collecting to make gifts.

I don’t count on luck. That’s bad practice.