2k gems. Best choice of purchase for newbie?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Katamaranthine.4679

Katamaranthine.4679

Q:

I’m thinking of exchanging it for gold but I’m hesitating since there might be better options on the shop. And no, I can’t give the gems to any of you. :P

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

I’ve bought allsorts fro the gem store.
Things like extra bank storge, character inventory slots, extra character slots are always nice.
Also items like unlimited tools and salvage machines are nice to have to.
If i were you i would wait til the end on the month as GW2’s 3rd birthday is coming up and they will no doubt be sales in the gem store and hopefully some of the older items returning

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

A Quaggan hat,a real man cannot go without a quaggan hat in his wardrobe.

Posted by: Raire.7983

Raire.7983

As mentioned, there’s likely to be a sale at the end of the month. Even if you decide to trade gems for gold, wait for the prices to spike during the sale.

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

I’d second bank storage, though you can always hold off for now and see if there’s something else you’d rather have later. If you go for storage, I highly suggest bank storage first. For one thing, you lose the unlocked bag slots if you delete the character you put them on. As you get further, you can also get up to 100 inventory slots without buying more. You could even get a character slot to use as more space, and then park them in certain locations to pick things up that show up daily.

If you go for the unlimited tools, keep in mind that the Watchwork pick is the only one that has a bonus besides never breaking – it has a small chance to get a watchwork sprocket with each time you mine. If you start with that now, and gather everything you can find (and these are all account bound, so you can move it to any alts), you will have a nice stockpile before you get to the point you might use them. Even if you don’t use them, you can sell them for a fair bit of gold. As of now, each sprocket sells for a bit more than 3 silver, which adds up.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Watchwork_Mining_Pick

EDIT: Don’t expect any other gathering tools to be added that have a special bonus like this. There was outrage, rightfully I’d say, when this came up, since it comes closer to being pay to ‘win’ than almost anything else, rather than convenience.

Otherwise, if you’re up for using them for something that’s not about function, grab something cosmetic. An outfit can be worn while leveling and using a mix of gear that you might not like visually. It can’t be customized like armor skins, and is more limited in dye channels, but it doesn’t care about the armor you have for the look.

I’d also go for waiting to see what sales they might put in in the future though. One of the only things I’d consider going for now, if you get it, is the pick I mentioned.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Copperfed salvage-o-matic and watchwork mining pick, you’ll be left wqith 200 gems, either change some gold to gems (50) for a hair kit or get 150 gems and buy a makeover kit,

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

Since nobody has mentioned the obvious, buy the season 2 pack, so you can experience that story and get access to that gear. The rest is really up to you, although as others have mentioned the watchwork mining pick is a very strong choice, so are bank slots and character slots(assuming you like multiple characters).

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

(edited by imsoenthused.1634)

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

Can’t believe I forgot to mention the copperfed salvage-o-matic, that thing is amazing! Good call on the LS season 2 pack, I forget sometimes that newer players don’t have it.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Forget about converting to gold.

What you want to use gems for, in order of “importance”:
- Character slots. 1 for each class minimum.
- Stack expansions. 250 isnt enough even for a halfarsed farmer.
- Bank tabs. If you play the game a long time, your gonna want to double them. Or triple. Not even bank guilds is enough if you have lots of armor sets.
- Inventory slots. If you play WvW for example, you want lots of room.
- Living story if you like PvE.
- Infinite tools.
- Hats and outfits and crap like that
- Maybe some small things like dyes or keys but they are not really worth it.
- Gold

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

1. Copper fed salvag-o-matic is a must have. It`s one of the items that`s constanly in use as you get a lot of trash items. Instead carrying a lot of basic kits you use this one little guy.

2. Living Story Season 2 pack. It`s pretty fun and achievments are really enjoyable to do.

3.Unlimited gathering tools. Similiar to salvago-o-matic, you will never have to worry about having tools to do your gathering.

4. Bank slot expansions / stack expansions.

Posted by: Preacher.9526

Preacher.9526

The permanent salvage kit is great.. Good also get some perm. Gathering tools. Being a fresh 80 could also exchange for gold to buy your first set of exotic armor/trinkets/weapons etc. depends on if your patient. Ide go for the Salv kit and tools myself

Blackgate – Bjorn Ironside

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Lots of good suggestions, I will just add that we’re a couple weeks short of the 3rd anniversary of the game. Previous years have seen sales and returning items to the gemstore.
I myself am holding on to mine for a bit to see if anything goes on sale, great time to pick up character slots, bank tabs, bag slots, the watchwork pick, the copperfed etc.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

These are the gem store purchases that people recommend over & over again:

• Copper-fed Salvage-o-matic, especially to those who farm for hours and need to make room in their inventory on the fly. (And to those like myself that sometimes salvage 1,000s of items in a row.)
  • Watchwork Mining Pick, the only gem store item that is profitable to use (although requires on to be a heavy-duty miner).
  • Extra character slot. No one ever has “too many” characters; even ones you don’t play can help earn income by parking at mining nodes or jumping puzzle chests.
  • Bank expander. No one ever has too many slots in the bank
  • Collection expander. Similarly, hoarders never complain about too much storage for mats.

There are also frivolous purchases.

• I recommend at least one outfit. It’s great not to have to reskin while leveling (saves time and transmutation charges).
  • Mail carrier: there are some really fun ones.
  • Premium weapon or armor set skins: everyone (who has too many gems) should get at least one.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

The best options in order of general usefulness….

1. Watchwork mining pick. Produces sprockets on gathering, which sell for 2-3s each. Also the only reliable way to get them in large amounts.

2. Copper-fed salvage-o-matic. Hands down the best gem investment behind the watchwork pick. Equal to a Basic Salvage kit, and costing 3 copper per use, its a major convenience item for anyone who farms. Since theres no reason to use high grade kits on trash loot (up to green), you use this for the base 10% chance at higher tier mats, use Master or Mystic for rares (to get ectos), and Save BL kits from daily and map completion for Exotics (for dark matter).

3. +1 Bank Storage. Allows you to hold on to various rare items for later, and can double as raw material storage.

4. +1 Material storage. The first level of this doubles the storage capacity of all slots, with a quadruple storage potential if you refine mats for storage. More cost effective for mat storage then bank space. For resale, mats are generally worth more in their raw state (just be aware).

For the most part you don’t need Bag slot upgrades, as the 5 you start, those filled with 20 slot bags = 100 slots. Most people use one Invisible bag for spare gear, consumables, etc, which leaves you with 80 for loot collection. Its also recommended to either craft (if you have the armor crafting) or buy a Craftsman’s bag (for salvage collection) and an Oiled Leather bag (to collect junk items). Equipment boxes are unnecessary since you want gear near the top for easy review anyway.

(edited by starlinvf.1358)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

An outfit is a great thing to have, even on an 80. I use different builds for different situations, from weapons to skills, and looking the same destroys the image of doing so. Not just transmutation charges but I can change what I am wearing FAST without having to lug around an extra set of armor.

Bank storage is a MUST. Maybe not at first, but after a few months you will need it. Buy it from the bank tab though, as the gem store will not warn you if you can not buy any more.

Mat storage is good for some things. Buy at least one extra so you can have piles of 500.

I bought a couple of the armor sets to have something different looks than normal.

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

These are the gem store purchases that people recommend over & over again:

• Copper-fed Salvage-o-matic, especially to those who farm for hours and need to make room in their inventory on the fly. (And to those like myself that sometimes salvage 1,000s of items in a row.)
  • Watchwork Mining Pick, the only gem store item that is profitable to use (although requires on to be a heavy-duty miner).

Especially the mining pick. I harvest the T5 materials zones daily and the extra sprockets add about 4 to 7 gold per day to my profits. Not to mention the sprockets are the only way to mass produce blade shards also https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Blade_Shard

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

HOLD. Wait for a character/bank/bag slot sale!

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Sylent.3165

Sylent.3165

Copperfed salvage-o-matic and watchwork mining pick, you’ll be left wqith 200 gems, either change some gold to gems (50) for a hair kit or get 150 gems and buy a makeover kit,

This reply could not be more correct.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

HOLD. Wait for a character/bank/bag slot sale!

Definitely!!! Many of us are sitting on thousands of gems right now because we know prices will drop soon. I do not want to buy several more character slots at 800 gems then have them drop to 600 a few days later.

ScribeTheMad.7614

An outfit is a great thing to have, even on an 80. I use different builds for different situations, from weapons to skills, and looking the same destroys the image of doing so. Not just transmutation charges but I can change what I am wearing FAST without having to lug around an extra set of armor.

Bank storage is a MUST. Maybe not at first, but after a few months you will need it. Buy it from the bank tab though, as the gem store will not warn you if you can not buy any more.

Mat storage is good for some things. Buy at least one extra so you can have piles of 500.

I bought a couple of the armor sets to have something different looks than normal.

I’ve always wondered, does the storage expander only expand the material storage “bins” or does it let you stack them to 500 in your bank as well?
Bigger stacks in the bank would be about 1000x more useful than larger storage bins.
If the bin is full I can’t deposit, regardless of how much is in it, and I have to move stuff to the bank anyway.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’ve always wondered, does the storage expander only expand the material storage “bins” or does it let you stack them to 500 in your bank as well?
Bigger stacks in the bank would be about 1000x more useful than larger storage bins.
If the bin is full I can’t deposit, regardless of how much is in it, and I have to move stuff to the bank anyway.

It’s the materials only. Also if you try and link for example your 250+ of a stack in said bin it will only ever show up as 250 to the other person. No biggy but it’s not exactly very truthful….

Tip: when you hit max for a stack in the bin take 250 out and put it in your main bank. This will buy you some time so you can keep sending mats to the bin. If you find yourself having to do this too often (like I do when farming elder logs) simply take more out of the bin and place in your main bank so you buy even more time. Heck totally empty it if you have to lol.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

ScribeTheMad.7614

Usually as soon as any one hits 250 I take the stack and put it into the bank so that’s pretty normal. Would dearly love to stack to 500 or more in the bank itself.

But yeah more headroom would be fabulous.
I think I’ve missed the expanders on sale a couple times
I never pay full price for these upgrades, but I’m likely to max them the next time they go on sale.

Posted by: davpatgan.4567

davpatgan.4567

I realise that I’m probably in the wrong place for this question, but I’m new to this game so please forgive me. Is there any legitimate way to aquire gems other than with real money?

ScribeTheMad.7614

Yes, Hit O
That opens the black lion window
On the left are 3 options
The top is the gem store
The middle is the Currency Exchange
And the bottom is the item trading post.
You want the currency exchange, that will let you convert gold to gems
Be forewarned the exchange rates aren’t terribly great.

Posted by: Aiglos.2907

Aiglos.2907

I realise that I’m probably in the wrong place for this question, but I’m new to this game so please forgive me. Is there any legitimate way to aquire gems other than with real money?

Yes

You can use the money that you earn within the game and exchange it for gems.
However… the exchange rate is pretty poor I believe?

Fear the might of Shatterstone!

Posted by: Gaebriel.3754

Gaebriel.3754

Personally I would never ever spend gems on one of the unlimited harvesting tools/salvage kits. Occasionally restocking on regular ones when passing by an outpost never inconvenienced me, but so many gems for such a slight convenience isn’t worth it to me. Since I’d also have to move them around all the time, depending on which character I wanted to play, to me that’s far more annoying than restocking kits when emptying my inventory.

I love creating characters, so my biased advice would be a character slot, since it gives you like… a Whole New Character to customize and play. For me that’s way more enjoyment gotten from my gems.

Bank slots is always a good one, I’ve never bought regular inventory slots though, they’re for one character only and you can get quite some bag space with the regular slots.

I think outfits and/or unique weapons are also great purchases if you like the look of them. Especially since outfits are account bound, and the weapons/armours unlock in your wardrobe, meaning you can use them more than once (though after the first use it costs transmute charges).

But in any case, there’s probably a sale soon with the anniversary, so I’d recommend holding on to them and playing around a bit first, explore and level some characters to see what you like most. Unless you’re seeing something that looks awesome, in which case buy it at once. :P

I won’t advise buying gold with gems, gold is quite a bit easier to acquire these days, especially since low level mats sell for a lot!

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

If you really are new, then I would convert what you would need into gold to equip your characters with the right gear, maybe some transmutation charges to decorate him a little and a bank tab upgrade.4

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Loading.4503

Loading.4503

I would get the copper fed salvage kit thingy, it’s very convenient cause you’ll be going through a lot of salvage kits, at the same time you’ll bank a lot of mats and increase your magic find, that way by the time you hit 80 u can craft whatever or just sell the mats and buy whatever you want

Posted by: Katamaranthine.4679

Katamaranthine.4679

Alright guys, thanks. I guess I’ll wait until the end of the month to buy things.

Posted by: Bawi.9541

Bawi.9541

• Copper-fed salvage
    Season 2
  • Bank tabs / Stack expansion as soon as you fill restricted by the standard size
    Infinite gathering tools
  • Quaggan mail carrier

are my suggestions, kinda put into their own tiers if you will.

Ele / Guardian