3 Minute Warning on forced restart?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: OldRodKS.9758

OldRodKS.9758

So, Tequatl spawned and a few dozen brave adventurers attacked him in earnest. As we began turning the battle to our control, we saw the ominous message “A new client is available. 3 Minutes to restart”

Bah!!

We redoubled our efforts, everyone slinging every magic spell and ability they had at the beast. We got him down to less than 10% before the restart and of course when we come back, he’s gone.

Really? Only 3 minutes warning?

Playing on Tarnished Coast
Playing a various Stormspire alt – if it’s Stormspire, it’s probably me
Guilds: Elder Prophets [EP], Principality of New Katulus (PiNK)

Posted by: Gwaiyn.4395

Gwaiyn.4395

so, out of curiosity, would you rather have a 3 minute warning on an instant restart with no down time, or a 30 minute warning about an hour long weekly maintenance?

i’d personally pick the 3 minute warning but if it were possible, i’d actually like to have at least a 10 minute warning before the server restarts

Gwaiyn – 80 Thief
Ryfaul – 80 Warrior
Fluene – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: OldRodKS.9758

OldRodKS.9758

I love the instant restart, don’t get me wrong. But if the server is going to force everyone off in 3 minutes, and a dragon spawns that takes 5-10 minutes to kill (or longer depending on which dragon and # of people available) at least let it be up when you get back in.

I’m just frustrated

Playing on Tarnished Coast
Playing a various Stormspire alt – if it’s Stormspire, it’s probably me
Guilds: Elder Prophets [EP], Principality of New Katulus (PiNK)

Posted by: Tanith.5264

Tanith.5264

On my end it showed an hour warning (I was in a personal story instance), and didn’t boot me until I exited the instance.

Bravo, Anet!

:)

Tanith Fencewalker, Tanni Mindbender, Thyra Wrathbringer, Lovecraft Thrall
Guardians of the Vault [GotV] and Guíld of Dívíne Soldíers [GoDS]
Gate of Madness server

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Yeah, if you are in a personal story you tend to get an hour, in dungeons you get around three hours, the rest of the world is much less forgiving. I don’t see why they can’t give you an hour warning if they know they are going to do a reset. This wasn’t a bug or an exploit fix, it was a simple reset. There’s no need to spring it on people with a short warning, I doubt they had no idea it was coming.

Still, the problem will always be there. If a dragon spawns 5 minutes before the reset (even if players had 60 minutes prior notice of the reset), people will be dissapointed with the reset. They can only manage content on demand (instances) not dynamic events. The best solution (for this specific issue) would be to have all dragon events spawn right after a reset.

(edited by Shiren.9532)

Posted by: GranoblasticMan.2514

GranoblasticMan.2514

“so, out of curiosity, would you rather have a 3 minute warning on an instant restart with no down time, or a 30 minute warning about an hour long weekly maintenance?”

Or an hour warning about an hour long daily maintenance?

Posted by: Ice Furl.4982

Ice Furl.4982

I remember in the first days the game was out I was doing for the first time AC with a group and we got a message that the game would restart in 3 hours but then it restarted in just a few minuets an destroyed our run

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Too bad that event doesn’t happen very often.

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

Yeh I do find the length of warning abit silly, surely it’s not hard to give more warning ANet,this has messed up what I’ve been doing a few times now and just for the sake of a slightly longer warning time.

Posted by: DirtyDeeds.6075

DirtyDeeds.6075

You have my sympathy OP. However those in the middle of a dungeon don’t have many choices either.

When exploits and fixes are in the restart build I have no problem with it. Restarts alone get most of those bugged skill points going again.

Maybe the real question should be “how much notice do you need?” I would think everyone would have a different thought on how long is acceptable.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

3 minutes, an hour, a whole day. It doesn’t matter people are going to complain that they weren’t able to complete something just before the restart.

To Op it was your own choice to continue on when you should have known that most likely you wouldn’t have been able to kill him before the 3 minutes were up to begin with.

Posted by: Ixal.7924

Ixal.7924

Guys, thinks like this happen.
Just be glad that the game works so well that it wasn’t necessary to introduce any bugfixes with this restart.