3 Years for 1 Expansion.....

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

The game didn’t finish launching until the China release last year, so it’s only been one year plus for the expansion.

This.

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

If they keep us entertained throughout, I see no problem with it taking 12 years to defeat all the dragons.

The problem is that they are definitely not keeping me entertained… at all.

12 years of starving for content?

No thanks.

You can’t please everyone.

LOL

Let me ask you a few questions.

Did you play the original Guild Wars?
Do you think the amount of content delivered through Living world is enough to keep players busy?

Are you pleased with the amount of content available right now?
Have you been playing since launch?
What do you actually do when you play the game?
How many times have you repeated content?
How many times can you repeat content before it becomes dull to you?
Are you truly happy?

I played Guild Wars for 6-7 years. We got expansions every year….for the first three years (sometimes more than that) …. and these expansions were so massive they were sold as standalone games. (there was so much content that you actually wanted to keep playing)
Even trying to compare the living world releases of Guild Wars 2 to the amount of Content Anet gave us in Gw1 is insulting.

I am not pleased with the amount of content available in Guild Wars 2.
I have been playing since launch.
I have absolutely nothing left to do in the game.
I have repeated every single piece of content so many times its painful.
…and I can grind/repeat content for a looooooooong time before it gets boring.
…and in case you couldn’t tell… I’m not happy.

“You can’t please everyone” an old saying, but nowhere in history has it ever been an excuse to give up trying.
I’m actually pretty easy to please.

I would just like fun, repeatable, worthwhile content to experience.

Guild Wars 1 had it right.
Guild Wars 2 screwed it up.
We have no endgame. (challenging and repeatable content that award loot based on skill and challenge)
Over 90% of a player’s wealth comes out of the bottom of a slot machine called RNG.
Most of the content we get are chores/busy work or gem store items.

Most of the people who stayed with Guild Wars 1 till Guild Wars 2 were hardcore players. Guild Wars 2 is a casual MMO.

Its almost like Anet just looked at all the fans who pushed the game to the point where a sequel was possible and spit in their faces.

The hardcore players kept Gw1 alive.

Gw2 is already doomed to die if you don’t give the hardcore players a reason to stay interested.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If they keep us entertained throughout, I see no problem with it taking 12 years to defeat all the dragons.

No thanks.

But Tera online can

He should go play Tera online then. The problem here isn’t the game, it’s the people who think the game should fit their exact needs.

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

He should go play Tera online then. The problem here isn’t the game, it’s the people who think the game should fit their exact needs.

…or maybe I should play the sequel to the original Guild Wars (if it only existed) and not this sorry excuse for a money grabbing cash cow of a MMO we call Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or GW1? It’s not like it isn’t still available….

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Nope.

TheBlackLeech.9360

Or GW1? It’s not like it isn’t still available….

After 4 years of no expansions, the game has also become dull.

…and I do still log in from time to time to fart around….
(Give my birthday presents and wealth away to people)
but there’s nothing left to do at all in that game for me unless they start releasing content for it again.

Obtena.7952

No thanks.

But Tera online can

…or maybe I should play the sequel to the original Guild Wars (if it only existed) and not this sorry excuse for a money grabbing cash cow of a MMO we call Guild Wars 2.

No, it really sounds like you should get some sense and stop purposefully expose yourself to something that you obviously can’t stand. If the game doesn’t fit you as a player, don’t throw time/money at it expecting it to change. That’s not a realistic approach.

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Nope.

Works for me i still check back in time to time to see if there is any updates.
Archeage and teso is not my thing.

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

No, it really sounds like you should get some sense and stop purposefully expose yourself to something that you obviously can’t stand. If the game doesn’t fit you as a player, don’t throw time/money at it expecting it to change. That’s not a realistic approach.

Do you think I even have a reason to log into Gw2 any more?

I haven’t done so in months.

Its just disappointing to see something you spent so much of your time on go completely belly-up…. and then still refuse to give up.

I liked Gw2 at the start, but only because I forced myself to like it.

I refused to accept the fact that all my preparation was completely wasted on a game that I didn’t like.

It took me a long time to come to grips with it, (i kept thinking things were going to get better) but I’ve long since gotten over it.

Guild Wars 2 is not something I support any more.

Attachments:

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Its just disappointing to see something you spent so much of your time on go completely belly-up…. and then still refuse to give up.

I refused to accept the fact that all my preparation was completely wasted on a game that I didn’t like.

It took me a long time to come to grips with it, (i kept thinking things were going to get better) but I’ve long since gotten over it.

But you spend time coming to the forums. Total waste of time if you ask me.

Obviously there are people here who do like it. You don’t. Shrugs. Why leave a game and then come back to complain about walking away from it? Seems to me that that that’s neither constructive, nor particularly helpful even to you.

Hope you find a game you do like. Some of us still like this one.

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Obviously there are people here who do like it. You don’t. Shrugs. Why leave a game and then come back to complain about walking away from it? Seems to me that that that’s neither constructive, nor particularly helpful even to you.

I feel that if I get enough people to gather up the pitchforks then Anet might actually start caring about their playerbase instead of the dollar signs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No thanks.

But Tera online can

I feel that if I get enough people to gather up the pitchforks then Anet might actually start caring about their playerbase instead of the dollar signs.

Unless enough people like the game. Which seems to be the case. Anet changes the game to make it what you want, it’s likely to lose some of the people that currently are enjoying the game. The game is what it is and there are people, apparently more than a few of us, who do like it.

Sure it can be improved, but I can pretty much guarantee you it’s not going to do an about face and become the game you want. I think you’re wasting your time. Of course it is your time to waste.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Gw2 target audience could not care less about game problems. I doubt you will find enough people to do anything more than another “this won’t end well” thread.

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Unless enough people like the game. Which seems to be the case. Anet changes the game to make it what you want, it’s likely to lose some of the people that currently are enjoying the game. The game is what it is and there are people, apparently more than a few of us, who do like it.

Sure it can be improved, but I can pretty much guarantee you it’s not going to do an about face and become the game you want. I think you’re wasting your time. Of course it is your time to waste.

There is an expansion taking shape right now.
What shape it takes has still yet to be determined.

I just hope when it finally does arrive that it brings all of you guys everything you want.
…because it won’t have what I want.

Stand up and voice your opinions now and don’t be pushed around or support a game developer that only decided to push an xpac after the cash well dried up.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

No thanks.

But Tera online can

I think the last thing you should be doing is spending your time trying to convince someone who is content with something to hate it so that it may possibly benefit you in the future.

There is an expansion taking shape right now.
What shape it takes has still yet to be determined.

I just hope when it finally does arrive that it brings all of you guys everything you want.
…because it won’t have what I want.

Stand up and voice your opinions now and don’t be pushed around or support a game developer that only decided to push an xpac after the cash well dried up.

I’ll support them until they lose my interest, at which point I will stop supporting them.

I think you may be misunderstanding the amount of people who will continue to support a product that personally displeases them.

The game was buy once, then free to play from then on. It was going to keep that model until people started rambling for an X-pack. People were willing to pay for content acceleration, It wasn’t a last minute decision based on dwindling funds.

If the game doesnt entice you, nonsupport is the option many of us will take. It’s poor form to try and force the state of being displeased with a game on people that enjoy it though, just so the company may take action that by extension entices you. They may very well go a different route altogether, and both your effort and the newly-created dissatisfaction in your audience will be completely wasted.

Don’t like, dont play. if enough people feel similar, Anet will notice sale and player drops. It is not your place to decide how people should feel about their entertainment. Voicing your opinion is fine, but in the end of the day, if you believe what you yourself say, Anet only listens to the numbers.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: AfterXII.2761

AfterXII.2761

The 3 year complaint would work if one thing were true… they were working on an expansion for 3 years. This is an incorrect assumption.

http://gw2shinies.com/ – A Guild Wars 2 Trading Post Service
http://gw2tno.com/ – The Nameless Ones [TNO]

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

I think the last thing you should be doing is spending your time trying to convince someone who is content with something to hate it so that it may possibly benefit you in the future.

…but I’m not trying to do that either.

I just want more people to stand up for themselves.

Tell Anet what you want…. and don’t settle for anything less.

…and incase there is anyone out there who is just like me…. stockholm syndrome style… playing the game hoping it will get better because they have invested a lot of their time into it…

Don’t.
It is not going to get better unless Anet completely changes direction.

…but in the meantime stand up and voice your opinions.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

No thanks.

LOL

Did you play the original Guild Wars?
Do you think the amount of content delivered through Living world is enough to keep players busy?

Are you pleased with the amount of content available right now?
Have you been playing since launch?
What do you actually do when you play the game?
How many times have you repeated content?
How many times can you repeat content before it becomes dull to you?
Are you truly happy?

You can’t please everyone… It is true and it realy is totally perfect to say! What you said was your opinion and this is my opinion.

Did you play the original Guild Wars? – Yes I did!
Do you think the amount of content delivered through Living world is enough to keep players busy? – I am pretty sure it is not enough to keep every player busy but as previous poster said “you can’t please everyone”. Me on the other hand love the Living World updates, though during the LS2 there where two breaks but they where too long.

Are you pleased with the amount of content available right now? – Yes and no, I am pleased with the content released from start until right before Expac announcement. As I said above though, the breaks where a tad too long and the content after that where actually alittle too small.
Have you been playing since launch? – Yes I have, since 3-days head start.
What do you actually do when you play the game? – I level new characters as I play with new friends and guildmates that has recently started the game, I do sPvP, I do WvW, I do dungeons with my guild, I do Guild Missions, I do self-made events with my Guild, I do Fractals with my guild, I do Silverwastes with my guild, I still havent got all crests I need in dry top, I explore the maps with my characters that hasnt got 100% yet and I also do LS2 with characters that havent done them yet.
How many times have you repeated content? – Depends how you look at it, when the bi-weekly updates where happening I didn’t repeat that much content but during these long breaks I did start to do LS with my alts and started doing dungeons wich I havent played that much before and now while waiting for expac I have done those things more often, like I am doing fractals quite alot now wich I have avoided during most of my game time.
How many times can you repeat content before it becomes dull to you? – Not much has been realy dull yet becouse I do not repeat it over and over as I do varied stuff to not get bored of things as I real loath grinding and farming. But AC has been alittle too many times now as I have been helping new players in my guild with it too many times so I realy cant count it but over a hundred times atleast.
Are you truly happy? – Yes I actualy am, I can understand that other players feel that GW2 is alittle booring at the moment with no “real” Update for so long and I understand that alot of players do not play at the moment. But I am truly truly happy with the game and still enjoy it alot. I expect alot of returning players with the expac but I hope they won’t continue with the expac thing becouse I realy like the Bi-weekly updates, it kept people logged in atleast for a day or two every two weeks… HoT will keep players playeing for a week or two and then… gone.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Azure The Heartless.3261

No thanks.

But Tera online can

…but I’m not trying to do that either.

I just want more people to stand up for themselves.

Tell Anet what you want…. and don’t settle for anything less.

…and incase there is anyone out there who is just like me…. stockholm syndrome style… playing the game hoping it will get better because they have invested a lot of their time into it…

Don’t.
It is not going to get better unless Anet completely changes direction.

…but in the meantime stand up and voice your opinions.

Bolded an idea that I agree with 100%.

That is +1. Do not, DO NOT play this game if you do not like it. You will ruin your expectations.

Personally though, I want Anet to do exactly what they are doing. The content release is at a reasonable pace so I dont feel completely tossed out of the game if I take a couple weeks off, and I dont feel pressured to check up on it when I’m at work. There’s an audience the current style of delivery appeals to, even if it does differ from GW1.

Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I played Guild Wars for 6-7 years. We got expansions every year….for the first three years (sometimes more than that) …. and these expansions were so massive they were sold as standalone games. (there was so much content that you actually wanted to keep playing)
Even trying to compare the living world releases of Guild Wars 2 to the amount of Content Anet gave us in Gw1 is insulting.

Also about this… My memory isn’t realy perfect so I may be wrong but… Except from a new dungeon in profecies, some fixes to the games like Hardmode and alot of skill balances. What did Guild Wars 1 give us between the expansons? It can’t have been much compaired to how much free content we got in Guild Wars 2?

Ashen.2907

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Nope.

Works for me i still check back in time to time to see if there is any updates.
Archeage and teso is not my thing.

Glad for you, but you are not, “everyone.”

TheBlackLeech.9360

Also about this… My memory isn’t realy perfect so I may be wrong but… Except from a new dungeon in profecies, some fixes to the games like Hardmode and alot of skill balances. What did Guild Wars 1 give us between the expansons? It can’t have been much compaired to how much free content we got in Guild Wars 2?

nothing.

They didn’t need to.

They properly spaced out and gauged the amount of time it took for players to completely exhaust content, and delivered more content before the game became dull.

Also, the addition of hard mode is nothing to gloss over.

That in itself more than doubled the total amount of content to do in the game.
(Before HM there was no vanquishing)

Ashen.2907

Not much really. Then again the expansions were less than a year apart on average.

Minor nitpick: if you have to buy x in order to get y, then y was not free.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

My two cents…

Sure, I’ll recognize that GW2 has had a steady stream of Updates, more so than the average MMO. I won’t call it content because half of it has not stayed in the game. I’ll call them updates. I’ll also echo the other camp’s concern that we have gone 3 years without an expansion. Im willing to bet that HoT will bring to Gw2 more than most of the updates have combined, in the form of perma content/fixes/polish/features/QoL/etc.

With that said, on a personal note… I’ve been keeping a very (distant) eye on GW2. I don’t play it anymore, not since 1.5 years. I did not enjoy Living Story one bit, infact it was the downfall of the game for me. However, I am considering making a comeback to the game for HoT (a serious one at that).

Personally, I just think that Arenanet left a bad taste in my mouth when they went the breadcrumb LS update route, instead of revamping dungeons and addressing other concerns that the community was extremely vocal on since launch. Its more of the principle of the matter, for me.

But, I do see GW2s potential. Maybe…

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

nothing.

They didn’t need to.

They properly spaced out and gauged the amount of time it took for players to completely exhaust content, and delivered more content before the game became dull.

Also, the addition of hard mode is nothing to gloss over.

That in itself more than doubled the total amount of content to do in the game.
(Before HM there was no vanquishing)

Well let me ask you this then… How come that most my friends left GW1 two or three weeks after each Expac but they have played GW2 for around a week after every bi-weekly update GW2 have had?

This is just my friends okay, I have no numbers of ammount of players in GW1 compared too GW2. But my guess is that the Bi-weekly updates works better for Anet as they earn most their money from people playing and buying stuff from gem-store. So if players don’t play they don’t buy, but if players play they buy. At the moment my friends havent played for over a month. But when they play they throws alot of cash for gems.

Edit:

Minor nitpick: if you have to buy x in order to get y, then y was not free.

Wow, that is realy a Minor nitpick… But what you paid for was GW2 and you got it, you could play it without a single update and it was well worth your money with the content you got from that money. All the updates was for free, it was a thank you too everyone for that there are people spending money on the gems-store.

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

Azure The Heartless.3261

Wow, that is realy a Minor nitpick… But what you paid for was GW2 and you got it, you could play it without a single update and it was well worth your money with the content you got from that money. All the updates was for free, it was a thank you too everyone for that there are people spending money on the gems-store.

I wished more people looked at it like this.

when you buy GW2, you’re buying the game as is. All content up to that point included. It’s a really good game for that value.

When you buy from the Gem Store, you’re additionally supporting the devs in exchange for an item of your choosing.

The problem that many people have is buying a game for what it could or might turn out to be, rather than for what it is.

GW2 IS a good game. some people think that it could be their dream game, or Could be closer to GW1, or might be the mmo-to-end-all-mmos, and when it doesnt clear those hurdles they feel their money has been wasted.

You buy a game to enjoy it then. Games are not seeds that you plant and nurture with your feedback until it grows into a tree of perfect entertainment.

If, at any point you do not like a game, the obvious course of action is to not support the devs. At the same time though, you cannot take it upon yourself to shame or try to deter people who bought it for what it was, are content with it and do support the devs.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I don’t really like the minimum 3 years between expansion either , but I do believe anet learned his lesson regarding living story and won’t make temporary content in the future. Also we shouldn’t ignore things like china release and much needed fixes like culling removal or megaserves, so I think it’s reasonable to expect the second expansion two years after the first one.

What I still don’t understand is why would anet call the Living World the company’s focus, when only about 5-10% of the company actually worked on it, which is true for both LS1 and LS2. In the future I hope the living story will serve only one purpose and anet will be open to say it: to serve as a bridge between expansions.

Obtena.7952

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Sounds like it’s something you should have never logged into if you have been starving for content for 12 years.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t stop you from posting.

TheBlackLeech.9360

No thanks.

But Tera online can

Sounds like it’s something you should have never logged into if you have been starving for content for 12 years.

I don’t know if you completely fail at reading comprehension or what, but you might want to go back and try again.

Azure The Heartless.3261

but I do believe anet learned his lesson regarding living story and won’t make temporary content in the future.

Really off topic, but wat

Anet’s a guy now? Blimey.

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

Come on we waited 3 years for 1 expansion this is even higher than the World of Warcraft waiting times lol (its 2 years there) and the funny is that after this elder dragon there are 4 more that means at least 4 more expansions, so the players who are 40+ years old might not even make it till the last expansion if it continues so slow. Will Heart of Thorns be released this year at least?

And do you really care about this or just wanna point out the lack of significant content released since game’s launch?

What we got so far was bad luck, with all MMOs released after GW2 (aside from FFXIV) being a complete disaster (WildStar, ESO, Arch Age, etc). Hopefully the upcoming MMOs (Black Desert, Tree of Savior, Skyforge, etc) will be better, and most of us won’t be here.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Guild Wars 2 even releases more, and quality content compared to World of Warcraft these days.

World of Warcraft is even subscription based…

Obtena.7952

No thanks.

But Tera online can

I don’t know if you completely fail at reading comprehension or what, but you might want to go back and try again.

What is wrong with my reading comprehension … you don’t like the way the game has progressed, you’re mad because you invested time/money into it, assuming something that didn’t come true. You’re being sensational and despite having ‘moved on’, you’ve still managed to find this ONE thread to vent. Have I missed something?

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

Guild Wars 2 even releases more, and quality content compared to World of Warcraft these days.

World of Warcraft is even subscription based…

y do people compare this game to WOW …. wow is a rip off

I mean it was a good game for its time.
but it is a old game that does not really try make advancements to there over all game

they rake in the cash- and they are not about to change there business model to try to increase there cash flow. when they have so many fan boys propping them up

they will continue to do the bare minimum until they need to change

I appreciate guild wars for stepping out of the dated subscription based model
and actually trying something new …

there is to many games that just try to flow in the footsteps of wow and pick up the leftovers instead of carving there own path

I am very critical and I am not saying there is nothing that anet can do better but
u cant really compare guild wars to other mmos because they have tried to do everything different

from tearing down the trinity system
and not being forced to having a dedicated healer

to going with a buy to own payment plan

and it really feels like they are trying to please EVERYONE when we all know that is impossible

(edited by caveman.5840)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

But Tera online can

Ermm.. No, it can’t. Not for me at least.

Did you play the original Guild Wars? Yes, almost from launch.
Do you think the amount of content delivered through Living world is enough to keep players busy? I can’t speak for anyone else, but it has been enough to keep me busy. And when I finished each episode I carried on with the core game again.

Are you pleased with the amount of content available right now?Yes
Have you been playing since launch?Yes
What do you actually do when you play the game? Dailies, then a mix of world bosses, dungeon runs, fractals, silverwatses & dry top events, sometimes events in other areas, sPvP, WvW roaming or running with a zerg.
How many times have you repeated content? I wasn’t counting, but I expect a lot.
How many times can you repeat content before it becomes dull to you? Back to back, not for long. Over a period of years, mixing up the content based on my mood, 3 years so far.
Are you truly happy? Truly truly happy? No, but I have yet to find a game that provides that feeling. Overall, I am very VERY happy with GW2, but that doesn’t mean its perfect.

Not entirely sure what all that was in aid of.

Even trying to compare the living world releases of Guild Wars 2 to the amount of Content Anet gave us in Gw1 is insulting. I wasn’t trying to compare LW to anything.

I am not pleased with the amount of content available in Guild Wars 2. Then play something else
I have been playing since launch. I’ve been playing since beta.
I have absolutely nothing left to do in the game. Again, play something else.
I have repeated every single piece of content so many times its painful. You must have a LOT of time on your hands.
…and I can grind/repeat content for a looooooooong time before it gets boring. If it feels like grinding, you’re doing it wrong.
…and in case you couldn’t tell… I’m not happy. I’ve heard there are other MMO’s you can play, maybe check google?

“You can’t please everyone” an old saying, but nowhere in history has it ever been an excuse to give up trying. And nowhere in history does it say that the phrase “You can’t please everyone” means giving up. The fact is, you simply CANNOT please everyone. No dev in the history of gaming has never, and never will, please every player.
I’m actually pretty easy to please. I’m happy for you, but you’re not everyone are you?

I would just like fun, repeatable, worthwhile content to experience. So would I, I guess I struck lucky with GW2 huh?

Guild Wars 1 had it right. Not completely.
Guild Wars 2 screwed it up. Not completely
We have no endgame. (challenging and repeatable content that award loot based on skill and challenge) Materialistic much? I play for the activities, not the loot.
Over 90% of a player’s wealth comes out of the bottom of a slot machine called RNG. Exaggerate much?
Most of the content we get are chores/busy work or gem store items. In your opinion.

…stuff about hardcore players…

The hardcore players kept Gw1 alive. The self inflated ego of the hardcore player is a sight to behold.

Gw2 is already doomed to die if you don’t give the hardcore players a reason to stay interested. How many hardcore players do you know who buy gems with real money? I am going to guess not many.

Honestly, if the game is that painful for you, find something else. But the fact is, I thoroughly enjoy it and have enjoyed it since beta. But like I said, you cannot please everyone.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

(edited by Rin.1046)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Maybe the Living World and the Living Story didn’t work out the way ANet wanted. They seemed to have wanted a game world where every day was different and non repeated, like the real world. It didn’t work out for them, people didn’t want this. But you should give them credit for trying to do something different than the old standby of no content for 1-2 years and then an expansion, rinse and repeat like the other games.

So, there wasn’t an expansion for a long time because they were trying something else. They deserve consideration for that at least.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Maybe the Living World and the Living Story didn’t work out the way ANet wanted. They seemed to have wanted a game world where every day was different and non repeated, like the real world. It didn’t work out for them, people didn’t want this. But you should give them credit for trying to do something different than the old standby of no content for 1-2 years and then an expansion, rinse and repeat like the other games.

So, there wasn’t an expansion for a long time because they were trying something else. They deserve consideration for that at least.

I agree 100% And this is something I have said a few times myself in other threads. The genre has been getting stagnant for some time now, so it is really refreshing to see companies like Anet (they’re not alone) that are trying to push things in new directions. And I always feel sorry for companies when they face fiece resistance from the ‘stuck in the mud’ players who either fear or don’t understand change.

It would make me very sad if Anet abandons the LW concept completely, because a few noisy players want GW2 to have what the other MMO have got.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I think both sides of this argument are valid. A lot of the content added has been removed. I don’t think the scope of this x-pac will be all that great in terms of content either. There is a substantial amount of content being added that you get to play without paying for the x-pac. I can’t wait to hear people chalk up the new WvW borderlands map and new pvp mode as being “x-pac content”.

I adore this game, but there hasn’t been a ton of permanent content released over the course of 3 years. Lots of features. Lots of temporary content. Very few maps. Very little story when you look at how little has been added in 3 years. I think iteration has been emphasized a tad too much with this game and it meanders in and out of different types of content too much and doesn’t really know what it wants to be or do.

The initial release of this game though is an amazing piece of work. It’s astounding really. I think the content that was released afterwards has been sparse and wildly varying in terms of breadth and quality though. For every great piece of temporary content they have released there are arguably equal amounts of poorly done content too.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

to be honest I think they hit the nail on the head with the timing of there expansion

they just released there game in china

and at this same time the forums where being to get restless looking for a expansion

the 2 seemed to coincide with each other rather well

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

@TheBlackLeech

If you hate the game so much, then why did you start the thread. Do you go to sporting events and root against the home team? Do you go to pop concerts and boo the artist screaming how they are a talentless hack? Do you go to book signings to tell the author you read better stuff on bathroom walls?

Fine, you bought the game, you didn’t like it in the long run, move on already. This isn’t GW. It wasn’t meant to be identical to GW. It was not meant to be similar to WoW or any of it’s clones. You’re not happy how things turned out, alright. But that doesn’t mean many don’t enjoy this game and ranting about how much this game sucks isn’t going to change anyone’s opinions.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

IMO, ArenaNet tried to innovate the way content is delivered in an MMO. That led to the living story 1 and 2. It’s not really fair to judge their attempts based on a traditional MMO release schedule, even if you were unsatisfied with the living story.

They innovated by turning their backs on the DPS/Tank/Healer trinity and greatly reducing the amount of grind required for BiS gear.

Trying something new is and hopefully better is a goal that should be appreciated. Try taking a moment to realize the guts it took to do that in a era where fewer and fewer developers are willing to take any risks.

In my book, ArenaNet are 2. 5 / 3.0. And they are still coming out with the expansion you crave.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Brimstar.9036

Brimstar.9036

Come on we waited 3 years for 1 expansion this is even higher than the World of Warcraft waiting times lol (its 2 years there) and the funny is that after this elder dragon there are 4 more that means at least 4 more expansions, so the players who are 40+ years old might not even make it till the last expansion if it continues so slow. Will Heart of Thorns be released this year at least?

You must not know WoW very well. It took 3.1 years for BC to come out after Vanilla and to be fair it hasn’t even been 3 years of this game yet, at least not for another 3 months.

Posted by: Khalisto.5780

Khalisto.5780

Yeah they tried new stuff, that’s good, but in my opinion they failed, as every new thing they brought seems to be falling apart.

The non trinity stuff, it’s more like non anything aside from dps, it may change from zerk to condition, but I dont think they will manage to make other armor stats useful.

The dynamic events seem to work well, the bad thing about it is how they scale, it’s sometimes hard with 1 or 2 ppl, as more ppl come by it becomes an auto attack spam fest.

The living stories were not specially good or bad, it’s just them telling us the story to get to the expansion, but i think ppl expected more, Anet included.

I dont remember the other new stuff they brought, but i think none of them are a great success.

I think their PvP balance is kinda good compared to ones i’ve seen in other MMOs. Unfortunately their matchmaking is a complete mess.

They made a game that is not p2w.

WvW is fun, but ultimately comes down to numbers.

Love roaming builds and non meta silly builds.
Don’t worry boys, Blade and Soul is coming.

(edited by Khalisto.5780)

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Bullseye.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

GW2 isn’t WoW. They give us new content CONSTANTLY! Guess how much of that content has been something that you had to buy… None of it. What’s the issue here? If you just love the game and want to support them, there is some really cool stuff in the gem store with no pay to win-ness to it. I say keep up the good work ANET. Y’all rock.

You’re right. It’s not WoW.

In almost all WoW expansions, you get new dungeons & raids, new pvp maps & modes, new continents & zones, new classes, new races, new crafting professions, new gear, new mounts & pets, new skills & talents, new game mechanics, new quests & stories, new arenas, etc. And this is just the expansions. After that, they constantly update the game throughout the expansion’s lifetime (the exception is WoD so far).

Just read each patch notes from patch 1.0 to patch 2.4, and you’ll realize how much they added in around 3 years: http://wow.gamepedia.com/Category:World_of_Warcraft_patches

And a few months after the expansion WoW lost 3 million people, all the people they’d gained, because that’s more than enough time to get through all the new content.

The wait between content releases in WoW is far far greater than the wait between content releases in Guild Wars 2. And regardless of anything, it doesn’t really matter how much WoW provides if you don’t like the game (which many don’t).

That’s why i mentioned “(the exception is WoD so far)”. We’re talking about a 10 year old game. GW2 isn’t even 3. WoD is the exception because it lost more people in one quarter than anytime in it’s history. Regardless, that doesn’t change the fact that WoW expansions released a significant amount of content between expansions.

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

For all the people pointing to the LS.

Clearly the LS was not able to deliver what many people like to see and expect from an expansion. That also explains while quarter after quarter results dropped while last quarter with the announcement of the expansion is did go up again.

So it’s very nice that for you the LS works, still the LS is no expansion and did not deliver what many people expect from an expansion / what they wanted. That makes the LS irrelevant. Sure, it is what Anet had in mind (LS as a way to release expansion-like content) but it’s not how many players experience the LS.

LS isn’t irrelevant, it was the model they were working to.

A lot didn’t really like LS including myself but that still doesn’t make it irrelevant.

3 years for an expansion, what a load of kitten. If you want to judge how long it’s taken for an expansion, you should start from when they abandoned the LS model and started to work on an expansion.

(edited by Azala Yar.7693)

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

You must not know WoW very well. It took 3.1 years for BC to come out after Vanilla and to be fair it hasn’t even been 3 years of this game yet, at least not for another 3 months.

Yeah, and look what they added to it. 11 zones full of quests and stories. 2 new races. 4 raids. 6 dungeons. Jewelcrafting. Arenas. 1 PvP map. Additional things like multiple reputations, new armor and weapons, flying introduced, several openworld pvp zones, crafting expanded, etc. This is in addition to the original game, which makes it even larger. Can you honestly say that LS1 & 2, and HoT, delivers as much content? I don’t want to rag on Anet, because they make quality content, but it’s mostly story-based and event-based. If i remember correctly, they disbanded their dungeon team awhile back. That says it all.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

If i remember correctly, they disbanded their dungeon team awhile back. That says it all.

This…hurts. I know GW2 isnt meant to be your traditional MMO but to leave the dungeons so untouched for 3 years is absolutely horrible. When I think about getting into GW2 again, which I currently am thinking about, I think about how stagnant the dungeons are. I like dungeons. I dont like them to be the only thing I do at endgame…I can only stomach so much forced group content. But dungeons need to be there and arenanet fails miserably at boss mechanics and frequency with adding new dungeons.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

All players die at age 52? Dear God, I must be a zombie!

I haven’t waited 3 years for an expansion; as far as I know, the game wasn’t even released that long ago. Besides, I was perfectly happy with LSS1. S2 was below par; I do hope HoT fares better.

LOL…..I remember decades ago when I was 16, and how I considered people who were 40 or older absolutely ancient. Just gives one additional perspective on the mindset of the OP.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)