3 game modes, only 1 happy?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

Quick synopsis of forum overview:

Look at wvw subforum: everyone upset with maps and balance
Response: nothing

Look at sPvP subforum: everyone is upset with league matchmaking and class balance
Response: only if it deals with a bug

Look at general (pve mostly) forum: everyone talks about rabbit ears and general bugs found in gameplay.
Response: multiple, even if the tirade or event is only encountered by one person on one map that nobody else has gone too since doing map completion.

What is the cause for these discrepancies?
Opinions?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Meh. It is just the same general lack of communications everywhere. Saying General discussion is PvE is your own projection.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Wow, people need to feel persecuted. Anet abuses us all equally. Truth be know sPvP seems to be thier favorite as classes get balanced and nerfed around it.

Akkeros.1675

lol, don’t take offense from the pve in general, it is only mentioned because threads that mentioned pvp or wvw get moved to those subforums and since there are only 3 game modes, this is the one pve has to fit in.

but like khisanth says, “general lack of communication everywhere” why is this?
just asking your thoughts

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

To be fair, PvP game modes are never happy on forums anywhere.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

My guess with no supportive evidence whatsoever is that ANet utilizes the forums as a tool in a different way than the posters do. Assumptions are being made on the parts of the posters as to what ANet’s role is to them on these forums.

After all, the internet is a bastion of rational and mature dialogue cat memes.

~EW

Akkeros.1675

true true vayne
and lol, EphemeralWallaby good point (are you descended from the trendykangaroo?)
+1 +1

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

lol, don’t take offense from the pve in general, it is only mentioned because threads that mentioned pvp or wvw get moved to those subforums and since there are only 3 game modes, this is the one pve has to fit in.

People are probably complaining in the HoT forums about PvE. and nothing is really done to the dungeon community. Besides Raids.

The questions in pvp is mostly balance and queueing since the beginning of time. I’m not sure what you want Anet to say… They are probably trying to fix it since the beginning of time but still aren’t be able to do it.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby good point (are you descended from the trendykangaroo?)
+1 +1

I’m sorry, i don’t know who/what trendykangaroo is… my google search-foo has failed me. I’m just someone with an unconventional naming method.

To expand a little bit on what I said earlier… When I imagine what it’d be like to be in ANet’s shoes with regards to forums, I’d want my forums to accomplish two main things. The first is to have the sense of community within the game grow outside of the game. There would need to be hard lines made so that the community organically grows itself instead of turning into a player-dev interactive podium. The second is that I’d want to use it to analyze the GW2 zeitgeist, so that I can bring that information plus my other metrics together to determine courses of change within the game. To do so effectively, I’d need to directly influence the community as little as possible. Also, the zeitgeist alone would rarely give enough reason to create change.

Add to all of that legal concerns, PR concerns, responsibilities to employees and especially investors, coding conflicts, budget allocation, and many many other things I can’t even fathom that must come together to create productive change within GW2….

…I think it’s incredibly realistic and reasonable for there to be a perceived “lack of communication” when it might actually be better than what the alternatives would create.

But again, this is all speculation with no back up evidence to support it…

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Akkeros.1675

sorry for the name joke, just trying to create a synonym but i could have my words and/or species confused.

I agree with everything you have said. Just looking at the forums between current status vs 1 year ago. As well as comparing different aspects of communication between each segment.
Thanks for the input.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Lol, no worries. I think the forums could definitely use more levity. And, I’m definitely happy to speculate for ya’.

~EW

Posted by: seabhac.5346

seabhac.5346

3 game modes, 1 happy cat…

Attachments:

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Quick synopsis of forum overview:

Look at wvw subforum: everyone upset with maps and balance
Response: nothing

Look at sPvP subforum: everyone is upset with league matchmaking and class balance
Response: only if it deals with a bug

Look at general (pve mostly) forum: everyone talks about rabbit ears and general bugs found in gameplay.
Response: multiple, even if the tirade or event is only encountered by one person on one map that nobody else has gone too since doing map completion.

What is the cause for these discrepancies?
Opinions?

Bunny Ears is a simple request with a simple solution. The other issues you mention are more complicated. If I work for ANet and I have a few minutes of personal time to post a response, I’m likely to choose a thread which won’t require me to post multiple follow-up responses or feel as if I left a mistaken impression.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

What makes you think PvE is happy ?

Have you not seen the countless threads about grind, masteries, dungeons, fractals, raids, etc….. ?

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

What makes you think PvE is happy ?

Have you not seen the countless threads about grind, masteries, dungeons, fractals, raids, etc….. ?

sigh. He actually believe bunny ears problem is resolved.

The last time bunny ears is released is 2013.

That’s 3!!!!!!! years ago. How many balance patch have been released for sPvP? But still no bunny ears.

so please stop thinking you are the only one with problems.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If a mod or dev is commenting about PvE things like bugs and items, it’s likely because the issue is relatively straightforward. Balance issues, and major structure issues (like WvW and PvP formats) are both complicated and have stakeholders with multiple different and possibly conflicting views. Dealing with these issues is going to be an ongoing development issue. ANet has strict policy guidelines for employees about what they can and can’t say.

As an example. Say there’s a WvW post about balance with regard to Revenant. If a dev chimes in with anything substantive (or really anything at all, even “We’re looking at this.”), then battle lines will be drawn and that post will be dissected and misinterpreted. Commenting about the availability of a gem store item or a general PvE bug is not going to generate controversy. Posts about PvP issues will, because of the nature of the issues.

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Things like class balance are complicated and if there is one thing I have learned from being invoked in official game forums it is that developer can’t be open with their player base about things like that because people will take “thinking about doing this” or, “I have read and considered what you said” as “we are going to do this and will have it done by the end of the week”.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

pretty sure they are working on a wvw revamp so aside from bug fixing id imagine they dont consider it worthwhile to make small changes in the interim
changes are made for pvps sake quite often so i dont know what you are talking about

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books