4 aspects Guild Wars 2 lacks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

Guild Wars 2 wants to satisfy a maximum of players by providing a lot of different aspects to the game.

Right now it has:
- Open World PvE (hearts, events…)
- “End-Game” PvE (dungeons, fractals…)
- Massive PvP (WvW)
- Competitive PvP (sPvP)

Yet if ArenaNet wants to satisfy/attract more gamers, there are a lot of available solutions. Let me show you some.

- HOUSING : Housing is very researched in MMOs, few are the ones who propose it, and none are really blockbusters. GW2 is the ideal blockbuster for that.

- HALL OF MONUMENTS: I’m saying HoM because I think that this concept was unique to GW1. Proposing this kind of place to collect skins and achievements can reinforce all the others aspects of the game.

- GUILD VS GUILD: I’m not a fan of guilds, neither PvP but a lot of players seems to be requesting this and it could be a good idea to develop a few maps to start this.

- SANDBOX IN PVP: ArcheAge showed it ; sandbox is insanely awesome (build your own forts, collect ressources around, improve them, see them grow bigger and bigger…). And GW2 is only two steps away from that ; you can’t build your own forts, it’s already all-made. You could allow to build our forts on pre-choosen slots and make us able to cuts trees/mine rocks around to get ressources.

Now players it’s your turn… Discuss!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Not being a fan of pvp, I can’t really voice an opinion on those bits. Guild Halls aren’t being worked on at this time anyway so GvG prob a long way off if it happens.

Hall of Monuments yes, but much further down the line. It took off in GW1 as a way to extend the games life and because it had built up that library of stuff to put in it. So yes, but no need for it yet.

Housing – undecided here. I think when they do implement Guild Halls, this will negate the need as long as they are customisable. I have personal housing in LOTRO and Anarchy Online. They’re nice, but I don’t visit them anymore.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Housing is a definite. Ive never played a game where they’ve had housing, so this would be really neat! Too bad its not that high on their radar, but they have bigger fish to fry.
Sandbox in PVP is a neat idea..put that into World vs World would be awsome. Preselected plots for structures. Go to this preselected area, and help some wood logger and NPCs gather wood from a nearby forest(like a regular PVE event). This way, PVE players can really contribute to World vs World without killing one player.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

- HOUSING : Housing is very researched in MMOs, few are the ones who propose it, and none are really blockbusters. GW2 is the ideal blockbuster for that.

- HALL OF MONUMENTS: I’m saying HoM because I think that this concept was unique to GW1. Proposing this kind of place to collect skins and achievements can reinforce all the others aspects of the game.

- GUILD VS GUILD: I’m not a fan of guilds, neither PvP but a lot of players seems to be requesting this and it could be a good idea to develop a few maps to start this.

[it’s OP again] While playing I figured out an idea to combine those 3 aspects and make it all-in-one.

-

All starts with guilds. Guilds can buy a little closed and instanced valley in the Mists, connected to an asura portal ; they can first choose the landscape (Kryta-like, Ascalon-like or Shiverpeaks-like) and later on they can spend gold/fame to increase the size of that valley.

The core idea is that the guild can build in that valley ; at first, there is nothing then they can start building their houses, some useful crafting places… then NPCs such as merchants, traders, trainers etc… will appear as they build shops for them.

Here you have already an useful Guild Hall and some sandbox fun ; but it’s only the beginning. Now your guild must build walls around your little town ; engage archers and guards, and siege weapons.

And then it can begin. Your guild leader will be able to press “Hostile” in your guild pannel. Then any other guild that has a Hall too can challenge you in Guild versus Guild.

When you accept a challenge, the battle may begin ; it’s a 3 round fight. First, they attack you and you must defend your hall (anything destroyed gets repaired when it ends). Then, you invert roles. If you win 2 times, match is over, you won. Otherwise, it’s 1-1 and the last round is made on a special map where you fight for a temple, for example.

Okay, we got Guild versus Guild, here comes Housing and HoM ; guilds would not be the only one to have a such hall ;
Each player can have its own small valley in the Mists, with a big house and a few NPCs/merchants around. Here you can customize your house ; put your achievements and collections inside, and that would be awesome.

If they implement something like this, I’m in forever…

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I’ve seen player housing and/or guild halls come up a few times in suggestion threads, but I don’t really understand what it’s all about. What I’m imagining is that it’s just an instanced lobby where you can stand around.

Considering there’s already a guild chat channel we can participate in anywhere, I just don’t know what guild members are supposed to do while standing around in a room together. I assume there’s a bank and some other stuff, but does it have anything that’s not already available in any city?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Guild Wars 2 wants to satisfy a maximum of players by providing a lot of different aspects to the game.

Right now it has:
- Massive PvP (WvW)
- Competitive PvP (sPvP)

Yet if ArenaNet wants to satisfy/attract more gamers, there are a lot of available solutions. Let me show you some.

- SANDBOX IN PVP: ArcheAge showed it ; sandbox is insanely awesome (build your own forts, collect ressources around, improve them, see them grow bigger and bigger…). And GW2 is only two steps away from that ; you can’t build your own forts, it’s already all-made. You could allow to build our forts on pre-choosen slots and make us able to cuts trees/mine rocks around to get ressources.

these would be cool features but anet needs to get all profession and combat related stuff figured out first, then the rest will fall in place.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

It’s more for social play than anything else Fyre. It gives people a focal point to commune more than anything else. In the first game there were other advantages such as faction gain and GvG. They give any game an aspect not revolved around running around genocially slaughtering a zones wildlife.

Not for everyone granted, but a nice touch

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Housing: agreed, but I seriously doubt it will materialize in a form I would appreciate, which is “free-form”. The idea of open-world player housing makes me reel thinking of the strain to the game’s engine, and I doubt it’s feasible. But sure, I’d love it.

Hall of monuments: didn’t really play GW1 passed the tutorial, so no opinion.

Guild vs. guild: absolutely, bring it on, kittens ! (I did type kittens, BTW )

PvP sandbox: sounds even more daunting than player housing, and I doubt the engine / network code was designed to handle it.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Jelle.4623

Jelle.4623

[it’s OP again] While playing I figured out an idea to combine those 3 aspects and make it all-in-one.

-

All starts with guilds. Guilds can buy a little closed and instanced valley in the Mists, connected to an asura portal ; they can first choose the landscape (Kryta-like, Ascalon-like or Shiverpeaks-like) and later on they can spend gold/fame to increase the size of that valley.

The core idea is that the guild can build in that valley ; at first, there is nothing then they can start building their houses, some useful crafting places… then NPCs such as merchants, traders, trainers etc… will appear as they build shops for them.

Here you have already an useful Guild Hall and some sandbox fun ; but it’s only the beginning. Now your guild must build walls around your little town ; engage archers and guards, and siege weapons.

And then it can begin. Your guild leader will be able to press “Hostile” in your guild pannel. Then any other guild that has a Hall too can challenge you in Guild versus Guild.

When you accept a challenge, the battle may begin ; it’s a 3 round fight. First, they attack you and you must defend your hall (anything destroyed gets repaired when it ends). Then, you invert roles. If you win 2 times, match is over, you won. Otherwise, it’s 1-1 and the last round is made on a special map where you fight for a temple, for example.

Okay, we got Guild versus Guild, here comes Housing and HoM ; guilds would not be the only one to have a such hall ;
Each player can have its own small valley in the Mists, with a big house and a few NPCs/merchants around. Here you can customize your house ; put your achievements and collections inside, and that would be awesome.

If they implement something like this, I’m in forever…

Would be even more awesome if you could connect your house to your guild, erm, valley. That way curious players like me can visit other players houses and stand in awe looking at their achievements. There is so much fun stuff you can do with player housing. I have to mention Runescape, it’s been years since I’ve played that but I always thought that they handled player housing great. (Well, except maybe that is was really expensive as far as I remember). But from my memory you could make awesome houses with minidungeons, trophy rooms, crafting rooms, living rooms, kitchens and even bedrooms. Imagine something like that in GW2. I would love something like that.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Housing NO
guild halls YES
hall of monuments YES
GVG absolutley YES

@OP you forgot allance battles i.e fort aspenwood gw1

[WM]give us in game ladder

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Housing and Hall of Monuments seem to slot fairly neatly into one another. Having areas within your (instanced?) home that can be populated with dummies for armour and clothing, display cases for weapons and valuables, a little garden for miniatures to run around in – I’d imagine that these sorts of things could be implemented by the art team without impacting on mechanics at all, depending on just how ANet manages its resources. Guild Halls could interact with player housing, perhaps offering an entranceway into your own housing instance within the hall? That’s not to say they’d be ‘easy’ to create, just that they won’t necessarily cause the waves that mechanical changes often do and by using a team that presumably focuses on an area of the game that is different to the team working on the changes to be made over the coming months.

PvP sandbox is an interesting idea – Colin mentioned custom arenas in his recent blog post, though it sounds as though you’re thinking of having customizable elements in WvWvW? That’s a bit trickier, but perhaps if elements can be refined in PvP and then branch out to WvWvW, that might be a more manageable way to examine how they could be implemented on a large scale.

Behold: Opinions!

Posted by: LordGustoff.3752

LordGustoff.3752

I actually wish they would get on guild halls. And this is solely coming from a PvE perspective.

All of the guild consumables that you drop down in the open world (Bonus Banner’s etc) could just be put in one place. Right now they are just abandoned in LA Overflow’s as soon as a guild party runs off to adventure. If you would just place that stuff in the guild hall, you would get way more use out of them.

Get a guild party, go to the guild hall, get your half hour buff and go do a dungeon. One hour later, finish the dungeon, come back to the guild hall, get the buff again (because the banners last for 3 hours) and go off and do another dungeon. No more one off abandoning Banners in LA overflows.

Plus it would also save on influence, especially for smaller guilds. Have two different groups of people who want to do different things? Instead of plopping down two banners in two places, just put ONE in the guild hall and everyone knows where to go to get it.

If you did what they did, you would have what they have.
You have what you have because you do what you do.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

Housing would be one thing I’d really love to have. Collecting some cool materials to build furnitures, wardrobes to store rare skins, maybe even a little garden where your minis can caper and play. That would be awesome!!!

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Right now it has:
- Massive PvP (WvW)
- Competitive PvP (sPvP)

Gw2 will NEVER have SANDBOX IN PVP too many changes would have to be made to implement it, currently Anet are going with a very simple outlook on the game because they want ti accessible to everyone. Also Gw2 is a theme park mmo NOT a sandbox mmo.

Posted by: Dragon Relic.8216

Dragon Relic.8216

GvG is a must in my opinion. I really miss the days of really competitive matches of GvG in GW1 and would love to see something like that here. I don’t need to explain why GvG was so amazing in GW1 those of who played there know why. It also what made Guild wars well, “Guild War” wars against guilds. This game is not called “World Wars” Or “Server Wars” cause thats what WvWvW is. It should be guilds battling it in teams of 8v8 not guilds of 500 leading zergs.

I hope they realize that GvG is something that should be put into place.

I also think we need player housing, at least something similar to hall of monuments where you can bring party members with you to show off your stuff. However all we can do is hope.

I am very pleased with the game so far and I hope Anet keeps up the good work and also keep listening to the community. If the players are happy you will continue to get money with further expansions in the future.

Posted by: Cawesome.1580

Cawesome.1580

The one thing that sort of keeps me from playing is the HUGE lack of endgame. The final boss was killed by pressing the 2 button like 1600000 times……..most bosses in this game are killed by standing under their feet and pressing buttons…..just nothing fun about that.

Posted by: Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

Rikimeru Tokesbudz.3816

they need to figure out swg style player housing imo. being able to have your own guild city is pretty awesome, besides instanced housing is pretty lame.