400 Free Gems for not playing...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FInN.7219

FInN.7219

I just read this on Reddit, a player that hadn’t logged in in a while was sent 400 free gems while that put the time into actually playing the game get the same reward for reaching 5k/10k achievement points. Perhaps I will not bother logging in just to do daily’s until an expansion and wait a couple of months for my free Gems…

Posted by: Alukah.2063

Alukah.2063

Then go do it.

It’s not the first time that I see people getting angry because of publisher’s efforts of bringing people back and keeping the playerbase active, handouts are usually an effective way to bring back those who have been away for a bit long and have been thinking about returning.

What would constitute a “fair” hand out? What would be considered “too much”? Someone has to draw that line and we all might not agree with it, but if you believe that all the entertainment (and gold) you’d get from playing the game for months is less rewarding than 400 gems for not playing the same amount of time, -again- go ahead and do it.

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

I don’t mind them using something to get people back, but maybe they should have made a booster pack, or something. 400 gems in the form of a code is giving them something they can sell for real money and not even come back. Really bad idea and it looks bad to the people that have not stopped playing.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

“I’m going to stop playing for months and months so that maybe I can get $5.00 worth of gems that can only be spent in a game that I don’t even play.”

Good plan.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If you aren’t playing anyway, or just logging in for the sake of it, then yeah it’s probably a good deal. But I don’t think it’d be worth stopping playing just to get 400 gems.

Especially if you have to be inactive for a few months. You could probably make enough gold to buy the gems in less time without resorting to farming.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

I think youget a lot more rewards from AP-chests thenjust 400 gems .
That doesnt mean I understand your feelings. I have not an issue with Anet giving out free gems for returning players. but it should be balanced with the rewards that regular players are getting.

But then I find it difficult. If I had stopped playing, anything below 400 gems wouldn’t be an inviting reward to change my mind. However rasing the amount off gems off the 500k AP chests would lead to a big impact on the economy and gemprizes. Specially cause it should be done as well for all that allready got 5k ap’s (and those with 10k ap’s as well).

Maybe a solution would be to introduce Red Gems. Red gems have the same value as the regular blue gems. But can’t be sold for gold. If you have both red gems and blue gems, when you make a purchase this will be first be taken from your stock of red gems and then from the stock of blue gems (unless your buying gold).

The returning player reward should be 400 red gems. In the 5k/10k etc AP chest should be 400 blue gems and 400 red gems.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

They should have put the gems in the birthday presents; This way, leavers would get the gems, and we could actually get excited about our birthday presents. I’m just not excited to open my next one for ANOTHER Queen Jennah, a booster that will languish away in my bank, and a instant lvl20 scroll that is completely useless if (like me) all your characters are >20.

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I’m sure birthday rewards will change for the second birthday (other than the booster. That’s a very nice deal).

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

They should have put the gems in the birthday presents; This way, leavers would get the gems, and we could actually get excited about our birthday presents. I’m just not excited to open my next one for ANOTHER Queen Jennah, a booster that will languish away in my bank, and a instant lvl20 scroll that is completely useless if (like me) all your characters are >20.

Making gems character based would be a problem (if it was a 1/year per account thing, that’s a different story. If I recall, data miners did find something before the 1 year anniversary that was "log on X day and get 200 gems).

Some people have 40+ character slots, but even those that just have the base 5 would get getting a “free” $25 worth of gems per year. Heck a character slot would pay for itself in 2 years. As it stands they’re trying to battle the inflation that they let happen, so I don’t think any thing like that will make it into the game.

Again, 200-400 gems per year per account would be a nice gesture though (but still a lot of potential money based on how many copies gw2 has sold).

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

You can’t buy anything worth while for 400 anyway…

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

It’s an incentive to get people back to playing GW2.

What’s the issue here?

Just cause you are an active player, do you expect you deserve these free incentives?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Draknar.5748

I don’t think that matters. The fact someone got something he didn’t is the issue. It could be a stack of candy corn for all it matters. It comes down to OP not getting something that someone else got and he feels he deserves it as well.

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

maybe some trasmutation crystals to use to keep our old skin that ascended tier nobody asked for made obsolete?

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

“I’m going to stop playing for months and months so that maybe I can get $5.00 worth of gems that can only be spent in a game that I don’t even play.”

Good plan.

^ This made my day.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Good plan.

^ Nailed it perfectly.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Arc DLad.2194

Arc DLad.2194

the person in question had 5k/6k Achievement point when they left so when they came back after the “achievement points mean something now” patch, they got there chests.

How does Treahern change a light bulb?
“commander can i have a word”

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

the person in question had 5k/6k Achievement point when they left so when they came back after the “achievement points mean something now” patch, they got there chests.

troll topic ended. good night

Actually that is not what happened- This is the email that was posted on reddit
http://i.imgur.com/ajYTYGc.png

I am all for getting players back with game items but as I stated above I do not think it should be a gem code that can be sold outside the game for real money. Even if it is just a few bucks it still defeats the purpose if all someone does is sell it.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s just basic marketing to bring buyers in. It’s not different from a coupon you get where you get X amount of money off if you buy product Y. Its a coupon worded differently than what you usually see because you have to log into a game rather than go to a store.

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Op, no disrespect, what is your concern?

Where is the irony, where is the injustice in giving 400 free gems for encouraging more people to play?

It is obvious, you had receive 400 gems equally as well, aren’t you being hypocritical?

My advice; as the saying goes, ’ keep affairs to one who beholds it"

In other word, mind your own business and let others be

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I just read this on Reddit, a player that hadn’t logged in in a while was sent 400 free gems while that put the time into actually playing the game get the same reward for reaching 5k/10k achievement points. Perhaps I will not bother logging in just to do daily’s until an expansion and wait a couple of months for my free Gems…

Perhaps you should know the facts. Anet “gave” him nothing. The player had amassed a good amount of achievement points and quit before they added the achievement chest. Then when they came back and opened all of their chest, received the 400 gems from 5000 achievement point chest.

Nothing special was given to that player for being away from the game. Reddit forums are just like any other. Always beware of anyone stating something as if it is a fact.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

Posted by: Puddles.6385

Puddles.6385

Most companies try to reward their most loyal customers. This is the exact opposite of that.

While what some are saying about it really only being 5 bucks worth of gems is absolutely true, and it is also true that there’s not much one could buy with 400 gems. However, this is not the point.

If I were one of the people who left, 400 gems would probably not be enough to get me to come back, and I doubt many of you would come rushing back either for such a small sum.

On the other hand, making existing players who actually play feel rewarded and appreciated seems like a far more logical conclusion. Considering the small amount, and the fact that most truly useful items in the store start around 800 gems, It makes more sense to give them to active players who are likely to spend additional money for (as an example) a character slot, while being appreciative that they didn’t have to pay full price.

For the people who’ve left, a nice 24-hour xp booster would be just as, if not more, enticing (apart from being able to sell the code for real money, that is), and would probably not make the existing player base feel as unappreciated as they seem to from all of this.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

If you purposely quit so that you can get 400 free gems, you’re losing out on a lot more than 400 gems. You’d miss all the temporary content and achievement points that comes along with it. Money-wise, every patch seems to add something to exploit, whether it be a change to something existing, or a valuable temporary item that will only rise in price. Some patches are better than others. Take the Queen’s Gauntlet for example, where you could farm it for hundreds of gold, or exploit the farmers below to make thousands.

If you never do anything in-game though and really only login to login, then I can see where you might want such a little amount. I’d assume however you’d be more likely to quit permanently.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I wish I got that for the two months I burned out and left for (also vacations I had in that time).

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

Antitheist has a valid point, but I would respond by pointing to the Living Story and other updates as the corresponding reward for their most dedicated players.

Setting aside whether an individual player likes the LS or not, the frequent updates, especially the temporary ones, are this game’s way of rewarding players who play regularly. The items, achievements, titles, and even just the story/gameplay experiences are designed to benefit the frequent/constant player, and I’ve seen more than a couple complaints about how lapsed or new players missed temporary content.

Is it a perfect system for rewarding the frequent player? Not quite. Is everyone in love with the LS? No, they’re not. But, like it or not, it is an incentive to play regularly, and I’d say it’s a lot more substantial an incentive than 400 gems.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Feel free to leave so you may get 400 gems in the future.

Basic Marketing; you might want to calm down lest you rage at everyone that gets a coupon.

This was obviously made to cater to the complaints that if you’d be away for a while that you’d miss Living Story and all the rewards it entails! But truth is 400 gems means nothing to someone that doesn’t play the game.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

That’s standard marketing strategy man… I develop mobile games and we do this kind of stuff all the time.

Posted by: mercury ranique.2170

mercury ranique.2170

Perhaps you should know the facts. Anet “gave” him nothing. The player had amassed a good amount of achievement points and quit before they added the achievement chest. Then when they came back and opened all of their chest, received the 400 gems from 5000 achievement point chest.

Nothing special was given to that player for being away from the game. Reddit forums are just like any other. Always beware of anyone stating something as if it is a fact.

As stated elsewhere in this thread, the Reddit thread actually shows the mail that was sent. It IS NOT the 5k AP chest. The actually mail had a code in it to redeem the gems in game like a prepaid gemcard.

Arise, ye farmers of all nations
Arise, opressed of Tyria!

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

As stated elsewhere in this thread, the Reddit thread actually shows the mail that was sent. It IS NOT the 5k AP chest. The actually mail had a code in it to redeem the gems in game like a prepaid gemcard.

Right, because it is completely impossible to fake an email on an out dated forums system such as the one Reddit uses. And lord knows no one does anything on reddit to get attention.

I bet you believed all of those threads about players being wrongfully banned too, until Anet showed up and called them out listing what they had actually done.

As of now, I don’t believe it. And the Email format and photo image he used has been available from imagers for a while. I have see entirely too many shenanigans on reddit in relation to GW2 or any other MMO for that matter, that proved completely false or fraudulent.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

I’m sure birthday rewards will change for the second birthday (other than the booster. That’s a very nice deal).

Wishful thinking.

Draknar.5748

Wishful thinking.

Pretty sure it will be replaced with Candy Corn.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Someone getting gems has nothing to do with any of us. There is no reason that we should care. ArenaNet could give a random person 10k gems and it doesn’t affect me one iota. It doesn’t affect any of you either.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

It’s too bad that Anet can give people 400 gems to make them go away.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

A lot of MMOs do this. ;/

You make way more than 400 gems when you play the game. :o

Wishful thinking.

It’ll change by giving a different account bound mini pet multiple times.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Most companies try to reward their most loyal customers.

They do, I’ve gotten 2 or 3 free gifts for buying gems so far.

This is no different than the supermarket coupon printer giving you a coupon for a product you’ve used in the past but stopped using recently.

(edited by rizzo.1079)

Posted by: Finaldeath.1059

Finaldeath.1059

Ya, the birthday chests were kinda meh, the first time opening it was great but seeing all my characters getting the same exact mini was really disappointing, i wish it was like gw1 where it gave a random one from a pool. 100-200 gems would have been a great thing to have in the birthday chests instead of the booster or lvl 20 scroll.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

400 Gems would not bring me back to Guildwars 2, but you know real content might, when i say real content not living story…

Funnily Rift gave me 400 credits for playing

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

lol 400gems ? i can get 400gems within 4 hours……

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

Ya, the birthday chests were kinda meh, the first time opening it was great but seeing all my characters getting the same exact mini was really disappointing, i wish it was like gw1 where it gave a random one from a pool. 100-200 gems would have been a great thing to have in the birthday chests instead of the booster or lvl 20 scroll.

Not only that, the birthday minis from GW1 can actually be traded so you feel rewarded as a loyal customer. Seems like the reverse in GW2, if you don’t login for a long time, you would be rewarded instead.

DarkSpirit.7046

A lot of MMOs do this. ;/

You make way more than 400 gems when you play the game. :o

Through your own hard work, instead of not logging in and get free gems.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

400gems for a new player to play with? To get the server filled? I think that;s a nice a gesture from Anet.

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

DarkSpirit.7046

Someone getting gems has nothing to do with any of us. There is no reason that we should care. ArenaNet could give a random person 10k gems and it doesn’t affect me one iota. It doesn’t affect any of you either.

Unless they convert their free gems into gold and cause all prices to rise by inserting inflation into the economy. Good job!

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

When X-Rebirth releases, I foresee myself not playing Guild Wars 2 for a long while, mainly because I do not have time to dedicate myself to more than 1 game at a time, and I love space sims. So perhaps they will send me 400 gems in a couple of months to. =P

DarkSpirit.7046

When X-Rebirth releases, I foresee myself not playing Guild Wars 2 for a long while, mainly because I do not have time to dedicate myself to more than 1 game at a time, and I love space sims. So perhaps they will send me 400 gems in a couple of months to. =P

Yeah I wish we would all get 400 gems instead of just a kite as active players and supporting customers.

400 gems is about free 23g+ just because they stopped playing the game. They did nothing else to earn them.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Unless they convert their free gems into gold and cause all prices to rise by inserting inflation into the economy. Good job!

Considering the exchange rate, that gem to gold conversion would contribute less than a statistically insignificant amount of inflation. Not to mention all of the gold that has been deleted from the game via gold to gems conversions since launch.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It doesn’t cause inflation. When gems are sold to get money, the money comes from the other players, not from thin air. If you sell 400 gems to get gold and I buy those 400 gems with my ingame money then the money is only transferring from my account to yours and that’s not how inflation occurs.

DarkSpirit.7046

Considering the exchange rate, that gem to gold conversion would contribute less than a statistically insignificant amount of inflation. Not to mention all of the gold that has been deleted from the game via gold to gems conversions since launch.

Gems prices keep going up. We do not know how many emails they actually sent out do we? So it is still presumptuous for anyone to assume that the total amount is too small to have any significant impact to the economy at all.

Furthermore, the fact that these leavers who have stopped supporting ArenaNet are rewarded MORE than the players who have been supporting ArenaNet through their gem store leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Gems prices keep going up. We do not know how many emails they actually sent out do we? So it is still presumptuous for anyone to assume that the total amount is too small to have any significant impact to the economy at all.

Furthermore, the fact that these leavers who have stopped supporting ArenaNet are rewarded MORE than the players who have been supporting ArenaNet through their gem store leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

It isn’t presumptuous at all, we know the amount of change because any time gold is converted to gems or gems are converted to gold, the conversion rate changes appropriately.

Since the “price” of gems via gold is going up, we know that gold is still being deleted from the economy faster than it is being added to the economy via the conversions.

As far as the bad taste is concerned, I’m fine with tactics that get people back into the game. I’m rewarded by playing the game, and 400 gems is certainly not a good enough reward for not playing the game for me to care about it.

Server: Devona’s Rest

DarkSpirit.7046

It isn’t presumptuous at all, we know the amount of change because any time gold is converted to gems or gems are converted to gold, the conversion rate changes appropriately.

Yes it is presumptuous because you do not understand what it means when ArenaNet create lots and lots of gems “out of thin air” to be given out to people who may convert them into gold. Then tell us that injecting these extra gold would not impact the economy at all. You also forgot that economic forces that are still in place that are driving up gem prices at the same time.

Furthermore, it doesn’t seem that ArenaNet values their existing customers and the difference in their rewards are shown in obvious gold amount.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

It’s an incentive to get people back to playing GW2.

What’s the issue here?

Just cause you are an active player, do you expect you deserve these free incentives?

As compared to an inactive player?

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace