400 gems for a bag slot is ridiculous...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

$5 for a perm slot on a character is quite good given other companies have systems that charge you $10+ to “rent” a bag extension for X amount of time.

IMO, deciding what is reasonable based on what already exists elsewhere is a bad idea.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

The Bag slot expansion was on sale as of yesterday , cos I bought one – 350 gems + 3 Item boosters included, so something at least, even if temporary.

But yeah.. lower the price and get more volume sales on a digital storage and pixels .. how hard can it be to see a decent return .. but greed will always exist I guess.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Now if they were to one day consider allowing one or two more bank storage slots.. I could be tempted. Cos with all this extra pixel rubbish we gotta hang onto now.. space is beginning to be a stretch for some of us.. or put some of these other bits like blade shards, vision crystals, bricks, doubloons and all the Endless Potions into our deposits.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

Given how the price of inventory bags raises exponentially as you get larger capacity bags, the price in gold converted to gems you would pay to purchase an extra bag slot makes total sense.

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Oh this again…

Already said it months ago, so I’ll keep it short.
- 400 gems/slot is too high since they are char based
- either keep the price but make the slots account-wide
- keep the slots charbase and lower the price to 100 gems
- if option 2 or 3 gets implemented, refund the people who already spent more for their bag slot expansions

…though I strongly doubt Arena.Net will give a kitten about this topic.

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

people have been buying them since launch. So they are not too expensive. Every customer, me included, likes goods and services to be as cheap as possible. Apparently, they sell well enough for the set price to offset some people not buying them at all because they consider them too expensive. It really is as simple as that. There is no moral obligation for low prices.

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

You pay extra for the convenience. Bag slots fit into the convenience category of the gem store items.

Another example is the infinite gathering picks/axes/scythes. Those things aren’t worth 1000 gems to me since I have tons of alts, so I don’t buy them. But it’s totally worth the convenience to some other people. The price stands accordingly.

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

no its not! I bought 4 of those slot and dont regret it! if they do nerf it then i want a refund because it is really not fair!

I bought a new mobile phone for the full price but after a few months it became half price because a new model came out, NOT FAIR I want a refund!

Posted by: Cream.5361

Cream.5361

I have to agree. If they were account wide then I would be willing to spend actual money to buy gems to get all the slots. At 400? I don’t bother grinding or spending money on them, I can grind for better things.

Posted by: Trancid.8514

Trancid.8514

The price is fine as it is. This is coming from a player that always buy gems with gold.

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

I don’t find bag slot prices unreasonable. Some of the other gem store items, on the other hand, seem high to me. Black lion keys and outfits, for example. I think the tools are also a bit overpriced since they are by character and material type. $5 for an additional bag slot on a character seems fair.

Posted by: Starwolf.4891

Starwolf.4891

If they did this they would have to do a lot of refunds…..
I have bought extra bags for 8 of my chars so all up that’s 8400 (3 bags for 7 of the chars) gems they would owe me? I can’t see that happening, it would be nice but still can’t see it…

Seriously, now that they’re giving GW2 away for free I’m still waiting for my $60 refund and the waiting is killing me.

My friend multiboxes so he bought 8 accounts and he’s waiting for his $480 too.

Posted by: Ghostwind.4380

Ghostwind.4380

I agree, it’s bit steep for players with multiple characters. I have 8 characters so far. I’ve purchased the additional slots on a few of them. Would love it if they made it account bound.

And to the person who said Anet would owe you money if they did that, not sure I agree. Why would I expect them to compensate me because I was impatient to get extra bag space for pure convenience, and paid for it when that was the only option at the time? It’s not a requirement to have all slots after all, just a nice to have.

Id rather they made the change for the betterment of everyone. Forcing them to compensate you will just make them less willing to make the change since that’s a much greater effort and cost for them.

Posted by: maniamsmart.7981

maniamsmart.7981

Do you think any of the things in the gem store have much value? I know people who refuse to spend a single penny on the gem store because of the prices.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If they did this they would have to do a lot of refunds…..
I have bought extra bags for 8 of my chars so all up that’s 8400 (3 bags for 7 of the chars) gems they would owe me? I can’t see that happening, it would be nice but still can’t see it…

Seriously, now that they’re giving GW2 away for free I’m still waiting for my $60 refund and the waiting is killing me.

My friend multiboxes so he bought 8 accounts and he’s waiting for his $480 too.

Yes I paid for the game upon release. Do I feel slighted because new players can play it for free? No. Why? Because I know it is for the good of the game to have new players coming in to the game who could very well be enticed to pay for the game (HOT) as well as purchase gems to keep the game going for some while yet. Not only that but it helps to make the game more alive by having more people to play alongside with and/or against in WvW/sPvP.

Not only that but I feel I have had my initial money’s worth that I paid down thus far. Hence why I (unlike so many others) had no qualms at all about paying more for HOT and getting it right away. Not only that but I also know that these free players are not getting everything that I did when I purchased the game. They have limitations and they have also missed out on events/LS and such where as I have not.

Making bag slots account bound or even if they gave them away totally free would do nothing for me being I have already paid for them. There is no advantage to me unlike there is with the game going free to other players. I guess you could say “you can take advantage of it if you make new chars”. This is true but in my case it is too late. I have all classes all with 100% world complete except for the new Rev so far. I have already purchased these bag slots on all of these classes, again except for the Rev. So unless new classes come I can’t see this happening and even so, read on…

Also unlike the purchase of the game which is now given to free players I would not feel the cost I have paid for all these extra bag slots have been worth it up to this point. This would be the main reason I would feel some kind of a refund or good will jesture should be made.

But to simply offer nothing would simply leave a sour taste in the mouths to those of us who DO purchase things with real cash. I should say it would make us think twice, three perhaps maybe even four times before making such kind of purchases again in the future. Now do you think Anet would want their players who DO spend real cash to be apprehensive like this in the future? I don’t think so, it’s not good business sense.

Lastly one more thing I would like to say. My statements here are not being made with the mentality of “this wont happen guys because….” I am also not saying that I am against the idea because I certainly am not and would be 100% for it. All I am saying is “if this does happen I hope Anet has the good sense to……” I think you get the idea where the rest of that last quote would continue to go to. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I agree, it’s bit steep for players with multiple characters. I have 8 characters so far. I’ve purchased the additional slots on a few of them. Would love it if they made it account bound.

And to the person who said Anet would owe you money if they did that, not sure I agree. Why would I expect them to compensate me because I was impatient to get extra bag space for pure convenience, and paid for it when that was the only option at the time? It’s not a requirement to have all slots after all, just a nice to have.

Id rather they made the change for the betterment of everyone. Forcing them to compensate you will just make them less willing to make the change since that’s a much greater effort and cost for them.

I would have agreed with you in the past however by seeing how Anet handled the unlimited tool situation I would have to say the opposite now. It just sets a precedent in a way. It makes them look like a company you can trust and respect as well.

It’s not about being greedy or entitlement or any other nonsense others may come up with. It’s about the value of our dollars spent here and how Anet respects those of us who do spend it and treats us accordingly when things are changed that do have an impact on things where we have spent money on in the past.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: TheMagickDoll.7594

TheMagickDoll.7594

I agree completelym it is way over price for the value you get out of it.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

If we’re concerned about making things more affordable for people with multiple characters, shouldn’t we also equalize their earning potential by making gathering nodes and world chests cooldown via account rather than per character?

With five characters its far easier to raise the 80ish gold to buy a bag slot than it is with one character.

If the issue here is making it “fair for people that play alts” then the reverse must also be true. If playing alts doesn’t incur extra costs, it also shouldn’t pay out extra rewards.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Auralae.7482

Auralae.7482

Although I think the 400 gems is fair, I do like the idea that someone posted in another thread about a player who purchases a bag slot being able to lock it up and reallocate it to another character on the account.

That makes sense. You can move tools or outfits between characters. It would be nice if purchased bag expansion slots could also be moved around.