400 gems for a bag slot is ridiculous...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jarvis.9540

Jarvis.9540

I understand that ANET has to make money (believe me, I’ve given them plenty), but 400 gems for one bag slot for one character is crazy. I think the fair thing here is to make bag slot purchases account bound.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I agree, it is high.

I think they think they have to charge a high amount, as some (most?) people won’t buy this stuff.

So, they have to make more from the people who do.

But, really, it has to be a self fulfilling prophecy, to at least some extent.

As, if they charged less for something undeniably useful, like this, far more people would surely buy them.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: IAMANDLOVE.3095

IAMANDLOVE.3095

no its not! I bought 4 of those slot and dont regret it! if they do nerf it then i want a refund because it is really not fair!

Posted by: LimitBreaker.4165

LimitBreaker.4165

It’s a fair price, you can even just farm gold to buy it.

Tigaseye.2047

no its not! I bought 4 of those slot and dont regret it! if they do nerf it then i want a refund because it is really not fair!

That is really not the way to think about this.

I’ve bought at least 8 of them, myself (whatever number maxing out 2 chars with bag slots is?) and I still think it’s too high.

You may have bought 4, so far, but in the future you will probably need more for another character.

Then maybe another 4 for another character and so on…

So, assuming you keep playing and play on more than one char, this situation will continue to affect you.

ETA: Looked and think it’s 3 per char to max out, actually, but you get what I mean.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I understand that ANET has to make money (believe me, I’ve given them plenty), but 400 gems for one bag slot for one character is crazy. I think the fair thing here is to make bag slot purchases account bound.

Better than paying monthly USD15 like WoW isn’kitten And you can earn gems from farming gold in game.

Posted by: Senario.2038

Senario.2038

I would only consider it a fair price if it was account bound rather than character bound. There is no sense to make it character bound as that is completely backwards.

What if you had to buy an outfit for each different character in order to wear it on them? Crazy right? Purchases made with real money should offer a good value for what they cost. Simply put having them be per character is NOT worth it in any situation.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

$5 or about 80-85 gold for up to 20 more slots. The $5 price is similar to additional character storage expansion from other MMO cash shops.

Personally the lack of the ability to move them from one character to another makes them not all that useful to me.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

The fairness depends on what angle you’re looking at it from. If you play one character, it’s a pretty reasonable price for such an upgrade. If you have upwards of 6 characters, all of which you play, it’s a pretty poor bang for your buck. If you have tons of characters, you’re probably much better off investing in bank slots or storage expanders.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I wish there was a way of re-distributing the bag slots amongst your characters. My first character has a lot of bag slots which she doesn’t need any more. I played differently in my early days of GW2 and I wasn’t too savvy about buying bigger slot bags back then. My younger characters don’t get any such luxury and have to make do with what the game gives them. It bothers me though to have all that space on one just going to waste

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If they did this they would have to do a lot of refunds…..
I have bought extra bags for 8 of my chars so all up that’s 8400 (3 bags for 7 of the chars) gems they would owe me? I can’t see that happening, it would be nice but still can’t see it…

I have 2 more chars who do not have extra bags as I have found they really are not even needed for whatever that’s worth.

Actually now that I think about it if they did do this they would probably up the cost to about 1k gems each slot. So I guess they would have a little bit less of a refund they would have to give me.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Base 100 slots.
After max upgrade is 160 slots.

You’re either purchasing Gems with Credit Card.

Or with in-game Gold.

Stop whining.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

With how easy it is to deposit, sell, or what ever, it seem like it not really needed to have over 100 slots, though if you want it, it comes as a luxury. I manage to get a couple slots on sale, but other then that, atm, I do not see the need for more.

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I agree. Drop it to 100 and I’ll buy lots of them for multiple characters

Posted by: MegumiAzusa.2918

MegumiAzusa.2918

Should have bought those when they were still about 1g.

Posted by: Mikuchan.7261

Mikuchan.7261

Maxed a character when gems were cheap, back in the days..
By then it was an ok price to buy them with gold.
Now I’m not even considering upgrading my other 8 characters.
I just get annoyed that they don’t have the slots and then I’m done with that.
If they would lower the price to a reasonable one, I might even bring the credit card out for it.
But as it stands, I’d rather buy every single outfit and armor set in the gem store and actually get something out of my gems than buying 20 more slots for 10g + 400 gems, times 4 per character times 8 characters. No thank you.
400 gems is too much for me.
The next person can pay it if he wants, I’ll just take more trips to the vendors.

Tigaseye.2047

Better than paying monthly USD15 like WoW isn’kitten And you can earn gems from farming gold in game.

It’s really not.

Especially if you also buy bank slots and like your character to look nice so buy armour sets and outfits and/or gathering tools, or minis, or musical instruments, or whatever.

I’m probably a fairly unusual case, but I have spent more on this game, in 9 months, than I would have spent on WoW in about 3 years.

…and I mostly do EotM/WvW, so my ingame financial future isn’t even looking that bright, either.

I have bought extra bags for 8 of my chars so all up that’s 8400 (3 bags for 7 of the chars) gems they would owe me? I can’t see that happening, it would be nice but still can’t see it…

I have 2 more chars who do not have extra bags as I have found they really are not even needed for whatever that’s worth.

There’s no legal requirement that says that, if a company drops the price of something, they have to partially refund previous purchasers.

If any company does this, they do it just as a courtesy, for customer relations purposes.

When we made that decision to buy, we did so agreeing to the current price at that time.

Not whatever new price may come in future.

Whether it be higher, or lower.

Stop whining.

Stating an opinion about a game, on its official forum, isn’t “whining”.

Complaining about someone stating an opinion about a game, on its official forum, on the other hand, may reasonably be viewed as that.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I agree that it’s too expensive. Not that I can’t afford it, I could buy it with gold or cash or a mix of both, but I don’t think 20 extra bag slots is worth that much.

So I don’t buy them. 100 slots is enough 99% of the time. Even on my main who carries around a bunch of tonics and toys, consumables like the bank and merchant express, 3 extra weapons and some other odds and ends the only time I have trouble is if I’ve done something like Silverwastes from beginning to end and tried to open bags as I’m going along.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Astrella.8930

Astrella.8930

I don’t think it’s out of place for something that’s really a luxury, with the best bags you have a ton of bag space and considering this game has both a deposit materials function and access to sell stuff on the AH everywhere having full bags is hardly ever an issue.

Posted by: Verificus.4320

Verificus.4320

To be fair: 100 slots should be enough space for pretty much any player. Just fills up a bit earlier. I personally have 150 slots (not all bags are 20) but I use a whole bag just for weapons/gem store convenience items etc which is kinda like my bag of tools. Then I have another bag especially for junk items. People who can’t or won’t afford 400 gems for bag slots will also not have a whole bag full of gemstore convenience items and thus don’t need this space. People can simply get into the habit of talking to every vendor they see and sell junk. Outside of that the amount of space between me and mr 100 slots isn’t that big.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Personally, I’d love it if the additional slots were applied to all characters, or, at least, to the same slot (that is, I could re-roll and enjoy the slots on the new character). However, my understanding of “ANet has to make money” leads me to believe that a “fair price” is whatever ANet believe will generate the most income — it’s a convenience item; it makes my life easier to have the extra slots, but the game works just fine if I don’t have them.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Paulytnz.7619

It’s really not.

Especially if you also buy bank slots and like your character to look nice so buy armour sets and outfits and/or gathering tools, or minis, or musical instruments, or whatever.

I’m probably a fairly unusual case, but I have spent more on this game, in 9 months, than I would have spent on WoW in about 3 years.

…and I mostly do EotM/WvW, so my ingame financial future isn’t even looking that bright, either.

There’s no legal requirement that says that, if a company drops the price of something, they have to partially refund previous purchasers.

If any company does this, they do it just as a courtesy, for customer relations purposes.

When we made that decision to buy, we did so agreeing to the current price at that time.

Not whatever new price may come in future.

Whether it be higher, or lower.

Stop whining.

Stating an opinion about a game, on its official forum, isn’t “whining”.

Complaining about someone stating an opinion about a game, on its official forum, on the other hand, may reasonably be viewed as that.

What are you talking about? My reply had nothing to do with if they dropped the prices of bag slots. It was in reply to the OP post in which the OP is talking about making the items account Bound.

Sure they may not have an obligation to refund us but I can tell you if they did not they would have a lot of unhappy people. Who would be happy to have spent real cash or in game gold to gems for items that have no use anymore? Or to have something the same as other people but in our cases spent a heck of a lot more cash for.

Also going by Anet’s past actions over such things (unlimited gathering tools) and their integrity in general I would say they would offer refund. So the only question that remains is if they would consider making these items account bound.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I think they should go the other way. Double the price, and make it apply to every character on the account. 400 gems is way too much. 800 for everyone is cheap, but would sell by the boatload (I don’t think the return on a higher price would be worth it, as there’s a slight psychological and cost factor in the way gems are bought over 800).

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I wish bag slots were account-wide so that for each one you bought, it counted for all characters on an account.

But…that’ll never happen. lol

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Unlocking bag slots is one of the few things I can do anymore to “mature” my characters individually so I’d be happy to keep things as they are.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Paulytnz.7619

I think they should go the other way. Double the price, and make it apply to every character on the account. 400 gems is way too much. 800 for everyone is cheap, but would sell by the boatload (I don’t think the return on a higher price would be worth it, as there’s a slight psychological and cost factor in the way gems are bought over 800).

This is my thought as to what they would do as we saw it happen for the gathering tools. So the concern again then becomes would/should they refund those of us who have purchased bags for more than 1 account? I would say they would but to offset that they would hike the prices up a fair bit like they did with the tools. I would also say 800 gems might be a little too cheap for people who do run a lot of alts. So it could be a tough one for them to crack.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Have you actually looked around at other MMO’s, OP? It’s pretty common to see publishers like Aeria Games charge $10 for a 10-slot bag. Where as here in GW2, you can pay $4 and throw a 20-slot in there for no extra cash.

Let’s not factor in that we already have a base 100 max. Again, other publishers often purposefully limit that amount ( I’ve seen 10-30 being the max for a F2P player ) to heavily incentivize people buying bags; either through in-game means or from their cash shop. Either way they win, because someone’s buying a bag.

$12 for an extra 60 inventory slots is worth it. Especially in comparison to other games.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I bought a couple a long time ago when I got my first couple of chars to 80, I bought a bag slot for each. I haven’t bought any more. For me they are too expensive to buy when you’ve got multiple level 80s. It’s not too bad if you have only one char you play but it adds up fast when you have one of each profession. If they were cheaper and soulbound or more expensive but transferable I’d be much more inclined to buy.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Tigaseye.2047

What are you talking about? My reply had nothing to do with if they dropped the prices of bag slots. It was in reply to the OP post in which the OP is talking about making the items account Bound.

Sure they may not have an obligation to refund us but I can tell you if they did not they would have a lot of unhappy people. Who would be happy to have spent real cash or in game gold to gems for items that have no use anymore? Or to have something the same as other people but in our cases spent a heck of a lot more cash for.

Also going by Anet’s past actions over such things (unlimited gathering tools) and their integrity in general I would say they would offer refund. So the only question that remains is if they would consider making these items account bound.

Well, I would assume that, if they made them account-bound, that would be something that would back-datable, to already purchased slots,.

So, how would that be a problem?

Even if it wasn’t, or they didn’t do that, they would still be of use on the character you bought them for.

They wouldn’t be left useless, in any possible scenario, so I don’t know what you’re talking about?

I assumed you must be talking about lowering the price (or also lowering the price) because you were talking about refunds.

Why on earth would you need a refund just because a previously character bound thing was now account bound, if there was no change in price?

…and no, they would not owe us a refund if they lowered the price.

They could choose to give us one, but that would be their own choice.

Yes, there might be a few unhappy people, but they would be unreasonably unhappy people; especially if they bought the item months, or years, before the change.

It’s not like they give us a partial refund every time they have a sale on something.

Even if that sale happens 5 mins after we bought the item at full price.

Have you actually looked around at other MMO’s, OP? It’s pretty common to see publishers like Aeria Games charge $10 for a 10-slot bag..

Anyone who pays that, or plays a game that charges that, needs their head examined, frankly.

Unless, of course, the existing bag slots really are more than adequate.

Or they provide a lot more other things ingame.

Meaning that that is one of your only purchases.

What really matters, here, is what we end up buying (or being tempted to buy, due to intentionally implemented ingame shortages) overall.

Not so much the individual price of everything.

Copestetic.5174

I bought a couple a long time ago when I got my first couple of chars to 80, I bought a bag slot for each. I haven’t bought any more. For me they are too expensive to buy when you’ve got multiple level 80s. It’s not too bad if you have only one char you play but it adds up fast when you have one of each profession. If they were cheaper and soulbound or more expensive but transferable I’d be much more inclined to buy.

$4 isn’t too expensive. I’m sorry, I’m going to have to disagree with all those that claim that it is. That’s literally like, a couple of sodas, a small box of snacks, or a cheap meal at a fast food restaurant. All of which, we can do without. If money is that tight to where $4 for a convenience item is just too much despite knowing the benefits an extra 20-slots brings in an MMO; perhaps it’s time to examine what you are spending your money on and make some changes or, obviously get a ( better ) job.

I go to work just like everyone else, I’m a student like a lot of people, and I have bills like normal people. I’m not rich, but I can easily tell myself: “Hey, I want another bag slot. Instead of going to McDonald’s today for lunch break, I’ll just make myself a quick salad to bring with me to work!”. And everything works out.

ezpz

Tigaseye.2047

$4 isn’t too expensive. I’m sorry, I’m going to have to disagree with all those that claim that it is. That’s literally like, a couple of sodas, a small box of snacks, or a cheap meal at a fast food restaurant. All of which, we can do without. If money is that tight to where $4 for a convenience item is just too much despite knowing the benefits an extra 20-slots brings in an MMO; perhaps it’s time to examine what you are spending your money on and make some changes or, obviously get a ( better ) job.

I go to work just like everyone else, I’m a student like a lot of people, and I have bills like normal people. I’m not rich, but I can easily tell myself: “Hey, I want another bag slot. Instead of going to McDonald’s today for lunch break, I’ll just make myself a quick salad to bring with me to work!”. And everything works out.

ezpz

It’s not $4, if you live in the UK.

It’s more like £4.

Which is at least $6.

Plus, it’s not just about what we can, individually, afford.

It’s about what we feel is a correct amount to pay a games company (in total) for a product.

If we feel a game is not worth more than $x a year, in total, we would be foolish to keep on handing its makers cash, far beyond that $x amount.

BTW, who are these people going to McDonalds for lunch, every day and how are they still alive? xD

Just a flesh wound.3589

ezpz

$4 times 8 times the number of bag slots per character is what adds up.

$4 times 8 chars is $32. No longer lunch at Macdonalds, but heading towards what the game itself cost to buy.

Then if you want the full 3 per char, $96.

And now I have a 9th char. Add that into your lunch at McDonald’s calculation.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

As long as you can buy gems with gold, I don’t see much value in complaining about petty purchases like that. I opened up a new bank tab with some leftover AP gems and 10 gold.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

With how easy it is to deposit, sell, or what ever, it seem like it not really needed to have over 100 slots, though if you want it, it comes as a luxury. I manage to get a couple slots on sale, but other then that, atm, I do not see the need for more.

100% agree , its a luxury at best . If there was any per character item to complain about its the harvesting tools which sell for 1K gems each which is insane but again its not exactly a need .

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

The T6 harvesting tools pay for themselves in a little as a single gather. I bought the perma ones for my main, and then forced myself to realize we’re talking about pennies here and use merchant gathering tools on all my other characters.

Just a flesh wound.3589

It is a luxury, which I solved for myself by buying a 700 gold permanent bank access. By doing that, I did an end run around ANet’s soulbound inventory bags and ANet lost out on my buying these bags. It’s not to any companie’s advantage to price items higher than people are willing to pay for, luxury or not.

ANet may give it to you.

Copestetic.5174

ezpz

$4 times 8 chars is $32. No longer lunch at Macdonalds, but heading towards what the game itself cost to buy.

My question is, why do you ‘need’ 3 extra bag slots for 9 characters? You literally have 900 kittening slots across all 9 with 20-slot bags and no extra bag expansions. I find it hard to believe that you ( or anyone else ) plays all 9 of your characters enough to justify even buying more bag slots or, needing any more inventory than what 9 characters with 20-slot bags already have. If inventory for whatever reason is an issue, buy a few for the ones you play the most. Not all 9. I bet there’s several of them ( your characters ) that haven’t even hit their inventory cap once because they’re hardly even used and, when you do use them it’s most likely in short bursts of time like a Fractal, or maybe a little map completion or PvP.

I’m not even counting Warehouse and Crafting Material storage. Nor will I count a personal Guild storage that a lot of us have.

I’m leveling a Druid right now. I haven’t decided if I’m going to like it or not, so I haven’t invested in more bags or a Copper Fed yet. Even after playing for 4 hours today, there’s not been one instance I’ve said “DANG IT! ALWAYS OUT OF INVENTORY!!??!?!!?!”. I just don’t see how it’s possible to run out of inventory space unless you have 1 character, with 4-slot bags and can’t figure out how to use the warehouse.

Paulytnz.7619

Ok I think there may be some confusion here. Are we talking about making the actual bags “account bound” so that we could trade them across chars via the bank or are we talking about “unlocking bag slots across all chars”?

Because for me we are talking the second. I can’t see it being feasible to simply make the bags account bound and tradable. Because where would we put them? Lets face it we are not buying bags when we purchase this we are actually unlocking slots. This is totally different to gathering tools and other such items.

So when I say all extra bags that I have purchased on my alts would have no use it’s exactly what I mean. Because simply put if they “unlock” the bag slots across all of our chars those extra slots I purchased would now be for nought.

Just a flesh wound.3589

ezpz

My question is, why do you ‘need’ 3 extra bag slots for 9 characters? You literally have 900 kittening slots across all 9 with 20-slot bags and no extra bag expansions. I find it hard to believe that you ( or anyone else ) plays all 9 of your characters enough to justify even buying more bag slots or, needing any more inventory than what 9 characters with 20-slot bags already have. If inventory for whatever reason is an issue, buy a few for the ones you play the most. Not all 9. I bet there’s several of them ( your characters ) that haven’t even hit their inventory cap once because they’re hardly even used and, when you do use them it’s most likely in short bursts of time like a Fractal, or maybe a little map completion or PvP.

I’m not even counting Warehouse and Crafting Material storage. Nor will I count a personal Guild storage that a lot of us have.

I’m leveling a Druid right now. I haven’t decided if I’m going to like it or not, so I haven’t invested in more bags or a Copper Fed yet. Even after playing for 4 hours today, there’s not been one instance I’ve said “DANG IT! ALWAYS OUT OF INVENTORY!!??!?!!?!”. I just don’t see how it’s possible to run out of inventory space unless you have 1 character, with 4-slot bags and can’t figure out how to use the warehouse.

Look at my post after that one.

(And yes, I do play all my chars. Right now my Rev is getting my attention, but before then and after this, everyday I pick a char that I haven’t played in a while and I play that one for that day. Roughly speaking I play all equally.)

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: JVJD.4912

JVJD.4912

You do realize that unlocking one bag slot for one character benefits all other characters as well right
You could unlock it on one character and transfer items between characters through the bank so its essential your total inventory slot goes up by 20 if you buy the 20 slot bag

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

Being able to transfer the additional bag slots to other characters would be a decent compromise. The biggest thing that keeps me from buying bag slots is that if I ever want to delete the character, it becomes a total waste. Additionally, if the character becomes an alt that is rarely played, the space is equally wasted. And if you’re buying additional bag slots just for more storage space you’ll get far more value out of a character slot instead.

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

I bought two early on and regret having wasted 800 gems on them. After three years I have 13 characters so there’s no way I’m every going to spend gems on more bag slots for another character. If they were account bound, even at a higher price, I would consider getting them. As they are now Anet just won’t get my money, they’re basically useless to me if they only apply to one character.

Which is fine, if Anet doesn’t want my money I can probably find something else to do with it.

Posted by: ham.8209

ham.8209

for me i find that coming up with 400 gems is not that hard . it just takes a bit of work is all and that is easy done with crafting and doing the hearts and just picking up every thing i see. and in doing that i in no way what so ever even think about spending real world money for gem,s . i just go out and pick up every thing and break it down to sell crafting stuff . and the rest just sell it to the traders and call it a good day . and honestly it does not cost that much when you buy gems in small lots or big lots .

Posted by: IAMANDLOVE.3095

IAMANDLOVE.3095

That is really not the way to think about this.

I’ve bought at least 8 of them, myself (whatever number maxing out 2 chars with bag slots is?) and I still think it’s too high.

You may have bought 4, so far, but in the future you will probably need more for another character.

Then maybe another 4 for another character and so on…

So, assuming you keep playing and play on more than one char, this situation will continue to affect you.

ETA: Looked and think it’s 3 per char to max out, actually, but you get what I mean.

if i need more then i will buy more! look they are not asking for much and remember they do need to make money!

Posted by: Raven.1524

Raven.1524

What if we also have the chance to get 1 account wide bag slot for 800 gems?

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

As long as you can buy gems with gold, I don’t see much value in complaining about petty purchases like that. I opened up a new bank tab with some leftover AP gems and 10 gold.

If you don’t have much time to farm gold, and acquire most of your gems through real money, I think it’s valid to complain about prices you don’t agree with.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Lhos.1643

Lhos.1643

Bag slot expansions are basically a gold sink. $5 to let one character carry one extra bag, lol.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

$5 for a perm slot on a character is quite good given other companies have systems that charge you $10+ to “rent” a bag extension for X amount of time.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i mostly play with one character and find it way to expensive, double the price and there is no doubt in my mind i would never ever by one even with the account wide part.
400 is a good price for account wide, no more.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Why are the bag slots 400 gems? Because that means about 80-90 gold. When I read in the many farming threads about players making 20+ gold per hour, it doesn’t seem that unreasonable.