460k of CCU (concurrent users)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

Can someone tell me if that number is from the release of the game, where the players count was indeed pretty high, or it’s a number of players logged at the same time nowdays, after the playerbase stabilization?

That number is taken from the infographic here

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-the-first-year/

Posted by: Sanctus.8350

Sanctus.8350

More voters than the 2012 Czech Republic Presidential Election

What a meaningless statement… More than half the countries in the world have a population less than 8.6 million.

Anyway, since that sales figure is from January, the user count probably is too.

Posted by: Riaky.8965

Riaky.8965

A lot of statements are just plain misleading to polish up anet in the eyes on the public.

“We’re now updating Guild Wars 2 about five times as often as the typical MMO.”

This one is a good example, Anet new contents are really boring and doesn’t really make the game any enjoyable to play. The only real update the past whole year was fractal. Other than that, all other contents are meh at best.

nehezbegar.1065

A lot of statements are just plain misleading to polish up anet in the eyes on the public.

This one is a good example, Anet new contents are really boring and doesn’t really make the game any enjoyable to play. The only real update the past whole year was fractal. Other than that, all other contents are meh at best.

It doesn’t make the game enjoyable for You, but for many others it does. Single game can’t appeal to all kind of ppls. We have different tastes and we like different kind of stuff.

As they said, they want to introduce more permanent content, we will see if they fulfill their promises.

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

Can someone tell me if that number is from the release of the game, where the players count was indeed pretty high, or it’s a number of players logged at the same time nowdays, after the playerbase stabilization?

That number is taken from the infographic here

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-the-first-year/

I think it’s from one time peak. And when did that happen? Can’t say… But I’m sure it’s not on daily basis. Still it’s very impressive that their servers where powerful enough to support this.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Those concurrency numbers are from when the game was just out. We haven’t had any recent updates. Since Anet themselves indicated on their blog that there had been a big dip as is usual with MMOs but that the game is now stabilising and slowly growing again, I think that you can assume that these numbers are still the ones from last year.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

Another PR stunt that’s all….

nehezbegar.1065

We have no clear statement from what time those numbers are, as long as noone from ArenaNet team confrims that, we can assume anything. It can be from the release time or nowdays. Those are just speculations, that’s just why i asked with faith that someone competent from ArenaNet will respond to that topic, then we will have a more clearer view on the Guild Wars 2 current playerbase.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

They released a high peak concurrency number in November of 400,000, so the 460,000 number is since then.

nehezbegar.1065

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/view/news/read/25387/Guild-Wars-2-One-Million-Sold-400k-Concurrent-Users-During-Head-Start.html

You are talking about this, but since then ArenaNet sold over 2.5 mln copies of the game, so we can assume that this 460k CCU is from nowdays. Still without clear statement from ArenaNet staff, we can’t take for sure anything.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Anet needs to stop the boasting campaign, they’re coming off very arrogant.
Fame is when others talk about you, not when you contantly shove your numbers in everyone’s face.

Being humble is the first requirement of success, because the moment you sit back and think you’re the best, someone else who is putting effort in actually being so will pass you.

It’s like one of those guys who constantly remind you how much successful they are, nobody likes them.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

Anet needs to stop the boasting campaign, they’re coming off very arrogant.
Fame is when others talk about you, not when you contantly shove your numbers in everyone’s face.

Being humble is the first requirement of success, because the moment you sit back and think you’re the best, someone else who is putting effort in actually being so will pass you.

It’s like one of those guys who constantly remind you how much successful they are, nobody likes them.

An ironic statement given the sheer number of people bashing Arena Net daily for not releasing more facts and figures about how well they are doing.

If they don’t release the numbers they are trying to hide their failure.
If they do release the numbers they are being arrogant and trying to hype the game.

That isn’t fair of us; why should we force Arena Net to gamble their reputation on a lose/lose choice?

Posted by: Sps.7862

Sps.7862

It does sound a little propagandish. Smart advertising is convincing the customer to buy without them realizing it.

I’m actually in favor of sharing such figures, as it is good information for both the community and outsiders, but I think the “comparisons” are overkill.

It’s okay though, ANet is still learning and hopefully they either cut out or tune down this sort of PR stuff. More figures, less similes.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Come on people, its a one year press release, what do you expect them to say?
Do you think something like

“we think we did okey, people seem to like it, the game has been updated a little bit too so its still evolving. We can do better but we’re trying…”

Wolves will be on to them that they must really be doing badly if they say something like that dont you think! I mean they’re saying what great numbers they did and all that and some people still say they’re doing badly imagine what humble will get you!

They worked hard for it, they diverse a little spotlight once a year.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

“we think we did okey, people seem to like it, the game has been updated a little bit too so its still evolving. We can do better but we’re trying…”

Wolves will be on to them that they must really be doing badly if they say something like that dont you think! I mean they’re saying what great numbers they did and all that and some people still say they’re doing badly imagine what humble will get you!

I agree that the numbers look good and are interesting.

But saying that they deserve spotlight..or some special recognition? Sure, the minimal amount, for creating a good core of a game. Then once they began to mess with it, they lose that recognition. Especially after the big gem store sales they are racking in. Its not like they are pumping this stuff out complete free of charge and asking us to pat them on the back. They are taking money from a lot of people. They are getting rewarded themselves. So I do not have a ton of pity. Especially with the LS garbage they are pumping out.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

nehezbegar.1065

You guys/girls are forgetting one thing. Games are still bussiness.

When the new potential gamer see 460k CCU or over 3.5mln copies sold, he has the feeling that this game might be good since a lot of ppl play it, so that guy will buy the game.

And It’s Your personal opinion of the game is good or not, for me it is, 90% of the game is great for me.

Im still hoping for ArenaNet staff to confirm something

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

What is boring to a single person is a matter of taste mostly. And do other game companies only release great content with every update or is there some mehish at best too?

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

That is pure advertising. You have:

1.) Massive numbers.
2.) Unrelated facts.
3.) Lots of pictures.
4.) Only good things.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

1.) Massive numbers.
2.) Unrelated facts.
3.) Lots of pictures.
4.) Only good things.

You call the death of millions of dolyaks a good thing?

Shame on you!

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

1.) Massive numbers.
2.) Unrelated facts.
3.) Lots of pictures.
4.) Only good things.

You call the death of millions of dolyaks a good thing?

Shame on you!

They make my burgers. idgaf

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

1.) Massive numbers.
2.) Unrelated facts.
3.) Lots of pictures.
4.) Only good things.

About the “only good things”, I would like to see how many support ticket they have received and how many of them actually got solved =/

I personally have some really bad experience with it(eg. southsun crabtoss achievement lost and item lost on server crash, basically they replied me with “suck to be you cause we dont think its important” in a polite way).

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Except the content is really fun and makes the game very enjoyable to play except for fractals because dungeons aren’t fun.

Posted by: Toat.2761

Toat.2761

PR is PR.
The reality is the game is on par with other “surviving” mmos like RIFT and SWTOR. Hell, even WoW is declining.

We will never get actual numbers of CCU now.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

“23,470,844 Caravans Destroyed in World vs. World.”

So, one year in and the ENTIRE WvW playerbase has killed enough yaks for the equivalent of 23.47 Yakslapper achievements?

It think that right there goes to show how crazy ridiculous the WvW achievements really are. Glad Devon and his krewe are working on addressing this issue.

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

Posted by: epicbawler.6854

epicbawler.6854

What is wrong with everybody? If you were a buisness owner why would you NOT want to make people see how well your buisness/game is doing. Stop saying they are arrogant. 99% of buisnesses do this, stop your whining.

Posted by: Tasty Pudding.3764

Tasty Pudding.3764

Arenanet quarterly sales (from ncsoft 2Q 2013 earnings release)

2Q 12 = 412
3Q 12 = 14,104
4Q 12 = 52,790
1Q 13 = 14,376
2Q 13 = 11,459
(unit: millions of Korean won which would be slightly less than thousands of US dollars)

I think a lot is riding on the release in China.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

GW2’s quarterly sales

3Q 12 = 45,841
4Q 12 = 119,013
1Q 13 = 36,382
2Q 13 = 28,899
(unit: millions of Korean won which is about 1,100 to a US dollar)

Edit: Bah

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

I agree that the numbers look good and are interesting.

But saying that they deserve spotlight..or some special recognition? Sure, the minimal amount, for creating a good core of a game. Then once they began to mess with it, they lose that recognition. Especially after the big gem store sales they are racking in. Its not like they are pumping this stuff out complete free of charge and asking us to pat them on the back. They are taking money from a lot of people. They are getting rewarded themselves. So I do not have a ton of pity. Especially with the LS garbage they are pumping out.

They are pumping out stuff free of charge, they also pumping up stuff to try to get people to pay, cause you know being a business they rightfully want to make money. The two are unrelated though. I am sure there are players out there who never spent a single cent beyond the box price, doesnt mean those players cant enjoy this new content we’re getting constantly.

I dont find the LS garbage personally but thats a matter of taste I guess.

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

My guess is it would be an average number from then to now.

Gehenna.3625

No, you’re doing it wrong.

23+ million caravans destroyed and 3.5 million copies sold = less than 7 caravans destroyed per player account in a full year.

That’s massive stuff, right? Did you kill your 7 caravans yet this year?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

What a meaningless statement… More than half the countries in the world have a population less than 8.6 million.

I’m also certain that the Czech Republic did not allow their citizens to cast thousands of votes.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Gehenna.3625

GW2’s quarterly sales

3Q 12 = 45,841
4Q 12 = 119,013
1Q 13 = 36,382
2Q 13 = 28,899
(unit: millions of Korean won which is about 1,100 to a US dollar)

Fixed that for you…it’s 2013 now

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Sounds like some of you really want GW2 to fail. Anet has to do PR now more than ever because the game has been out for a year and they need to persuade people to buy their game. They recently raised the server cap which means they can handle more players.

Maybe you don’t want newbies messing up your elitism. Why not welcome any newcomers and help them out? It is a game after all and helping people can mold them into great opponents in PvP.

On the caravans destroyed comment: Not everyone plays WvW… I bet there are players out there who have not even stepped foot in WvW. Im in a Tier 1 server and we rarely send out people to kill yaks for that matter so yes the number will be low.

Posted by: ParnAshwind.4823

ParnAshwind.4823

wow, we sux bad XD

- 23million caravans destroyed (by players)

- 20million players killed by Risen Thrall

Manoa.5897

23+ million caravans destroyed and 3.5 million copies sold = less than 7 caravans destroyed per player account in a full year.

That assumes that all 3.5 million accounts have played WvW, which nowhere near reality. Considering the vast majority of the playerbase does not WvW, calculating yak kills on a per account basis skews the average HEAVILY downward. A better gauge would be to see the average kills/WvWer basis rather than on a kills/account basis (sadly, we do not have any stats on how many accounts actually WvW to calculate that average).

Henge of Denravi

Manoa.5897

wow, we sux bad XD

- 23million caravans destroyed (by players)

- 20million players killed by Risen Thrall

That’s an apples to oranges comparison. More players play PvE than WvW. A better comparison would have been how many Risen Thrall have been killed by players (not provided to us) vs how many players have been killed by Risen Thrall.

Henge of Denravi

(edited by Manoa.5897)

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

What they are talking about with the updates, and what you are saying are 2 different things. How it is misleading to state that they are updating the game 5 times faster than a typical MMO? Your statement is about quality, their statement is about quantity, 2 very different things.

Also, quality is very subjective is based on your own opinions. My opinion differs from you, and I feel the content has been fantastic.

So Arenanet didn’t make a statement about quality, since that is subjective, they instead of made a statement about quantity, and with 12 years of playing MMOs that statement rings much truth.

Gehenna.3625

That assumes that all 3.5 million accounts have played WvW, which nowhere near reality. Considering the vast majority of the playerbase does not WvW, calculating yak kills on a per account basis skews the average HEAVILY downward. A better gauge would be to see the average kills/WvWer basis rather than on a kills/account basis (sadly, we do not have any stats on how many accounts actually WvW to calculate that average).

I was just showing how easy it is to manipulate numbers. It wasn’t a serious calculation, and I take Anet’s calculations in the same way.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Arenanet quarterly sales (from ncsoft 2Q 2013 earnings release)

2Q 12 = 412
3Q 12 = 14,104
4Q 12 = 52,790
1Q 13 = 14,376
2Q 13 = 11,459
(unit: millions of Korean won which would be slightly less than thousands of US dollars)

I think a lot is riding on the release in China.

1- That is Arenanets take on the sales, NC Interactive and NC Europe also get a portion of those sales. If you look at the quarterly and look at total sales for each game for each quarter, it paints a different pictures.

2- So to show an accurate number in USD these would be the quarterly sales:

All numbers below for KRW are in Millions, and this for Arenanets portion of the sales, which is not total totals sales, they only get a portion of it, NC Interactive, NC Europe, and NCSoft (Parent company) would all get a portion.
2Q 12 = 412 KRW = $370,403 USD
3Q 12 = 14,104 = ~$12.7 Million USD
4Q 12 = 52,790 = ~$47.5 Million USD
1Q 13 = 14,376= ~$13 Million USD
2Q 13 = 11,459= ~ $10.3 Million USD

Number in Million KRW for Guild Wars 2 sales to USD

3Q12 = 45841 KRW = ~$41.2 Million USD
4Q12 = 119,013 KRW= ~ $107 Million USD
1Q13= 36,382 KRW= ~ $32.7 Million USD
2Q13= 28,899 KRW= ~ 26 Million USD

So no, a lot is not riding on China, because GW2 is already doing fantastic financially. Releasing to China will gain them more profits, not the make it or break it point.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Anyway, since that sales figure is from January, the user count probably is too.

More voters than the 2012 Rhode Island Senate Election.

Hue.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

More voters than the 2012 Rhode Island Senate Election.

Hue.

More votes. For all we know it could have been 8.6 k voters with 1k votes per person average.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Grim.3487

Grim.3487

I can’t help to think that just the numbers only tell half of the story. It seem to me that I am not the only one who just logs on to do the dailies, and then log off again.

I wish I found it as interesting as I did on release, but I can’t shake the feeling that everything is just grinding for the sake of grinding. And the living story feels like something you speed through just to get a few extra achievement points, but to what end?

Gehenna.3625

I can’t help to think that just the numbers only tell half of the story. It seem to me that I am not the only one who just logs on to do the dailies, and then log off again.

I wish I found it as interesting as I did on release, but I can’t shake the feeling that everything is just grinding for the sake of grinding. And the living story feels like something you speed through just to get a few extra achievement points, but to what end?

Well and here’s the thing. If you quickly solo your dailies and log off again, you are no benefit to other players and if you spend no cash in the gemstore, you are also little use to Anet. No rudeness intended, it just is what it is.

I tried the game again for a few weeks and stopped again after not even 3 weeks. Why? Well I leveled my toon to 80, got full exotic gear right away. Ran around circles in Orr for a few evenings to get that new greatsword (Crystal guardian) and I was done. I logged in again but didn’t know what I was doing it for. My character was pretty much done the day it turned 80 and just grinding dailies for more ascended trinkets (got one right away) for the sake of getting them, didn’t seem interesting anymore. Am I now an active player again? I can guarantee you I didn’t spend a dime on the gemstore.

It’s things like that, that make it hard to determine player numbers really…

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

What percentage of these people stand in LA doing nothing is what i would like to know

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

What percentage of these people stand in LA doing nothing is what i would like to know

Why are you even still here? Honestly. If you hate the game so much and want it to fail so bad why don’t you just leave? All you’re doing here is making yourself look like a jerk.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Why are you even still here? Honestly. If you hate the game so much and want it to fail so bad why don’t you just leave? All you’re doing here is making yourself look like a jerk.

You didn’t answered my question, thanks for participating tho/.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

What a bunch of selfish, negative trolls this thread has. Most the time you here “A.Net isn’t releasing numbers, because the game is doing poorly.” They finally release numbers in a PR statement at their ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY and the trolls are again out in force with “these numbers are last years numbers; no way they’re current.” Seriously, please stop trying to poke holes into the game’s success.

I’m sorry that Guild War 2’s success some how causes you such strife in the world. That’s something that needs a reality check fast, as the world doesn’t revolve around the individual (anyone). There are millions that enjoy this game, there are 460k that logged in at once recently (the number back in January was 400k, so it’s spiked 60k since then). These are undisputable facts from the people that are able to monitor the numbers through providing the service; whether you believe them is completely moot as they are factual. Deal with it!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Doesn’t matter. They are logged in, they bought the game, they count even if they are camping at the TP or MF.

And I don’t think a single instance of a zone can handle more the 500 players at a time if that.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes