Chipset AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Dedicated Memory 4096 MB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Memory 16 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64 Bit
Edition
Display Maximum Resolution 3840 × 2160 (Native Resolution)
Average FPS: 140~200

I was wondering if GW2 was going to get 4k friendly or not I’m sort of getting tired of squinting at my chat box, and this was also to prove a point that Resolution does have something to do with texture (Proving a point to someone I had gotten into an argument with on a server :v)

Attachments:

(edited by ForgottenNight.4109)

4k Resoliton Vs. Standard 1080p

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mastamaker.2957

Mastamaker.2957

There’s an option in settings to scale up the UI. I use 1920 × 1080 and scale up the UI to large/extra large so that my chat box and other UI items aren’t tiny.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

These are some of the better ones I’ve taken with my 4k resolution. I’ve intentionally left out new HoT content screens as to avoid spoilers.

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

Do you have your chat box set to largest?

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

I’m sorry, what? What game did you record that FPS in?

I have a 4790k @ 4.4Ghz (better than yours) and a GTX 980 (again, better than yours) and I only get half of that FPS at 1080p with supersample on.

People should stop making up those numbers…

(edited by VaLee.5102)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I play at 4k and love the medium interface dimensions. Felt too claustrophobic on 1080p. At 4k I can have my inventory or other windows open and still have a playable experience.

Now 8k, that’s when things really become too small. Yes, I’ve “played” at 8k with Dynamic Super Resolution for the screenshots. They aren’t that hard to search for in all those folders. I just go to Guild Wars 2 2015, go to the search bar, and type dimensions:7680 while dimensions honestly should be a default search option in picture folders and this saves time on right click, scroll to dimensions, and click its box.

Attachments:

Posted by: Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

It’s pretty but it’s unplayable on a 15" 4K screen. Please add better UI scaling, ANET!

Attachments:

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Just play at exactly half the display’s resolution and you won’t get blurring. Playing at native resolution in MMOs is usually not possible because they use a kind of UI that does not scale with screen size, its not just GW2 either.

To make it scalable to large sizes ANet would have to redo all of the UI textures because they are likely 1-2k in size and would become distorted.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

15" 4K screen

I have one question.

Why?

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Just play at exactly half the display’s resolution and you won’t get blurring. Playing at native resolution in MMOs is usually not possible because they use a kind of UI that does not scale with screen size, its not just GW2 either.

To make it scalable to large sizes ANet would have to redo all of the UI textures because they are likely 1-2k in size and would become distorted.

That would mean I couldn’t use Windowed Fullscreen. If you play at a smaller than native resolution then tabbing in and out of the game will cause black screen flickering as the computer transitions between the 2 different resolutions (that of the desktop and that of the game).

But yes, I agree that ANET would likely have to redo the UI textures as they probably did not anticipate 4K, which should be more widespread next year with nVidia fully supporting it with the Pascal architecture of video cards.

As for why did I get a 4k 15" screen? It’s my work laptop and I use it for designing. And the 4k upgrade of the panel was on promotion.^^

Posted by: Ice.5162

Ice.5162

I’m sorry, what? What game did you record that FPS in?

I have a 4790k @ 4.4Ghz (better than yours) and a GTX 980 (again, better than yours) and I only get half of that FPS at 1080p with supersample on.

People should stop making up those numbers…

I was thinking the same thing.

4790k @ 4.4Ghz, R9 390, 40-60 FPS at 1080p

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I have a 28’ 4k monitor that’s sitting in my cart at Amazon. Will an i5-4690k be able to push out decent frames with one 980 TI? I’m on the 64-bit client as well.

Also, how’s the “Largest” UI scale for 4k monitors? I’ve read some older post saying the text is too small.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

It’s too small if you are playing on your couch. But 28" a foot or three from your eyeholes? YMMV. They simply didn’t anticipate 4K when they developed the UI elements for the game, but now some drivers can con games into thinking they’re playing at 4K but only displaying 2K, the number of players this could affect has gone up.

As for pushing pixels out, remember the game is more CPU than GPU bound and with a 980 Ti, don’t think that’s going to be an issue for you.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

I’m also curious about this. I’m waiting for Black Friday to scoop up a 4K monitor. I’m running a skylake with a GTX 970. Will a 4K monitor make that much of a difference?

Posted by: Tazhpa.9810

Tazhpa.9810

Hello Anet,

I found this topic today, and yet it is an old thread, I bring it again on the table instead of making a new one.

I play with a 40" 4K monitor (~90cm wide Philips), and unfortunately, I have to downscale the game to 1440p, because the GUI itself is so tiny. I would like to see a customizable GUI that players could drag bigger, or drag the parts they want bigger and leave the ones they donĀ“t smaller (like SWTOR does), or at least, this thing that is very important for 4K users:

>>>> Allow to scale the in-game pointer bigger, please <<<<

Directional skills are the worst to launch in 4K, as I keep losing my pointer all the time, it is really tiny even when the GUI is set to the largest possible one.

Thanks!

Juclesia Elcritian.8410

Yes, keep bumping this! Maybe now that Mike is in charge we’ll see this QoL granted. A lot of QoL changes have been coming in the LW3 updates…