4k when?

4k when?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: onio.6403

onio.6403

do you someday put 4k textures in this game or not?

4k when?

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

I’m going with not.

4k when?

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

probably not as there’s no plans for even an engine update…doubt texture updates will be a thing either.

4k when?

Posted by: Sky.7610

Sky.7610

do you someday put 4k textures in this game or not?

Its already in. It can upscale to any resolution. Your quality just wont improve much. But still, can you really tell the difference from 2k to 4k?

4k when?

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Mmos can’t change all their textures to 4k. They don’t have the luxuries that a stand alone does. You can at least play at 4k.

4k when?

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

I don’t think even NASA or a Quantum computer could run this game at 60+ FPS at 4k. The engine is too outdated. I have a beast of a machine and it struggles to run 60 fps max settings in most of the game, at 1440p. Pretty sure Anet would have to revamp the engine and as much as I love the game, it’s old and I don’t see that being high on the priority list for Anet.

4k when?

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

The engine is hopelessly outdated. It goes back to GW1… that’s why we still are doomed to use DX9 etc.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

4k when?

Posted by: onio.6403

onio.6403

Mmos can’t change all their textures to 4k. They don’t have the luxuries that a stand alone does. You can at least play at 4k.

no? example : elder scrolls online 4k textures.

4k when?

MoarChaos.8320

Elder scrolls uses a different engine though.

4k when?

Posted by: hayabusafmw.9370

hayabusafmw.9370

4K!???? By anet’s standard probably by the year 2056. That is if they last that long. Let’s face it we have a better chance of getting hit by lighting while doing a handstand than seeing this or a HD remastered gw2 DX11.

4k when?

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

fact that DX11 and DX12 is out and useable and the fact another company has a game that

has been out since November 23, 2004 and now uses DX11 fully . unlike GW2 that

thanks to Anet is still stuck in the stone ages of DX9 !! and has no intent to change that

or bring it up with the times of the latest gaming technologies. makes me now look

for other new games that use this latest gaming technologies !! while i still love to

somewhat play GW2 . i fully belive and think Anet will never change as a gaming

company and stay stuck in the old days of gaming technologies.

no new system upgrades coming

4k when?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

tra la la la, you would see a much higher return on investment if ANet were to focus on improving their ability to use multiple CPU cores than DX11 or DX12. Only 12 really brings a new model to how the software interacts, and even then, only for games that have good support for multiple concurrent cores working on scenes.

Just because DX11 or DX12 have a higher number doesn’t magically make them faster, better, stronger, or bring anything new to the table. Sorry.

4k when?

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

tra la la la, you would see a much higher return on investment if ANet were to focus on improving their ability to use multiple CPU cores than DX11 or DX12. Only 12 really brings a new model to how the software interacts, and even then, only for games that have good support for multiple concurrent cores working on scenes.

Just because DX11 or DX12 have a higher number doesn’t magically make them faster, better, stronger, or bring anything new to the table. Sorry.

^^ This, on the client side.

On the overall game side I would like to see better server hardware and networking so we stop getting skill lag during mass events and WVW battles. Its so bad now it renders much of that unplayable to the point where entire guilds end up leaving maps because of it. That needs to be fixed at least somewhat.

Though I don’t know if going up to DX 11 / 12 and its equivalent network related components wouldn’t help address any of that to at least some degree. I’m not a network or IT guy.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

4k when?

Posted by: est.9210

est.9210

make 4k will boost the active user by x%
:D

4k when?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

fact that DX11 and DX12 is out and useable and the fact another company has a game that

thanks to Anet is still stuck in the stone ages of DX9 !! and has no intent to change that

or bring it up with the times of the latest gaming technologies. makes me now look

for other new games that use this latest gaming technologies !! while i still love to

ANet hasn’t made over 10 billion dollars for subscriptions and can afford staffing a team to build a new game engine that’s still compatible with all the existing art assets in a reasonable amount of time as well as a team to improve those assets as well.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

4k when?

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Why do you type this way?

sorry i can not help you with that question or answer , you should talk to the skrit or

pale tree to find that answer to your question ,. but i do wish you best of luck with that

and a good adventure

4k when?

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

ANet hasn’t made over 10 billion dollars for subscriptions and can afford staffing a team to build a new game engine that’s still compatible with all the existing art assets in a reasonable amount of time as well as a team to improve those assets as well.

10 billion dollars for subscriptions ??? really the only subscriptions i paid for is when

i bought the game .and no one has me for money . and nor have or do i spend

real world money on games at all other then buying the game itself for its

enjoyment factors for me !! . not only that but if Anet really wanted to giving that

number your giving us all they now got more than enough to rebuild and even remake

the game itself into HD even. and then some and even patches to boot to end lag

and make sure it is not hackable . and even update this website too . after all it,s only

software . and its not like you need trees or steel to get the job done

4k when?

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

10 billion dollars for subscriptions ??? really the only subscriptions i paid for is when

enjoyment factors for me !! . not only that but if Anet really wanted to giving that

number your giving us all they now got more than enough to rebuild and even remake

and make sure it is not hackable . and even update this website too . after all it,s only

Its only Software…..lol.. You say it like it is one of the easiest job in the world……. Are you even aware that guild wars 2 is a multi player online game? Anet still needs money to pay for running the servers………. You cannot play gw2 without a server running…….staff salaries, taxes, medical payments, bonuses, bandwidth cost, serves cost, office overheads……..etc……

Gw2 is not running a subscription base mmorpg…..it earns money from cash shop sales and the game purchase…………gw2 is not going to last very long if it doesn’t have enough revenue……

Also, fixing a bug is not like how you fix a problem in a real world scenario……….. Or something like that……

4k when?

SlippyCheeze.5483

^^ This, on the client side.

On the overall game side I would like to see better server hardware and networking so we stop getting skill lag during mass events and WVW battles. Its so bad now it renders much of that unplayable to the point where entire guilds end up leaving maps because of it. That needs to be fixed at least somewhat.

Though I don’t know if going up to DX 11 / 12 and its equivalent network related components wouldn’t help address any of that to at least some degree. I’m not a network or IT guy.

DX 11 and 12 bring some new capabilities and a new programming model, but they are mostly (eg: all the performance improving ones) tied to heavily multi-threaded games being able to efficiently use more cores concurrently without DX being the sticking point.

Since GW2 is pretty single-threaded, and it’s extremely costly in both time and bug count to improve that, adding newer DX support would bring approximately nothing of significant value to the table.

In general, much of the lag you experience in WvW is also down to those client limitations, rather than server-side limitations, but it’s impossible to say with certainty as there are so many variables involved.

4k when?

Behellagh.1468

You were talking about an MMO from late 2004 who revamped their engine, which is Obviously WOW, that’s the game who had billions of income.

RIP City of Heroes

4k when?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

How many players can actually run 4K?

4k when?

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Its only Software…..lol.. You say it like it is one of the easiest job in the world……. Are you even aware that guild wars 2 is a multi player online game? Anet still needs money to pay for running the servers………. You cannot play gw2 without a server running…….staff salaries, taxes, medical payments, bonuses, bandwidth cost, serves cost, office overheads……..etc……

Gw2 is not running a subscription base mmorpg…..it earns money from cash shop sales and the game purchase…………gw2 is not going to last very long if it doesn’t have enough revenue……

Also, fixing a bug is not like how you fix a problem in a real world scenario……….. Or something like that……

oh gosh golly gee i did not know that and i can not say how i fix a problem in a real world scenario……….. Or something like that…… due to advice of my layers .

4k when?

MoarChaos.8320

Deleting my other ones, just because they are off topic. The game engine we have can’t really handle 4k, and there’s the arguments on whether you can see a difference if it is there. I think improvements would be nice, but 4k isn’t what I want in a stylized game. The HoT zones have some amazing textures. So maybe it can be done and it would look great, but it’s not something I know.

4k when?

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

The graphic quality looks good enough to me. (shrugs) I don’t know what you need changes for. Haven’t seen a game of this genre getting this much out of DX9 as GW2 does, so…

Also, there truly are more important matters that need to be addressed (i.e., fixed) in this game than to worry about HD.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

4k when?

Posted by: Khyan.7039

Khyan.7039

You want something with 4k textures like TESO but at least GW2 is way more stable with his old engine.

4k when?

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

You were talking about an MMO from late 2004 who revamped their engine, which is Obviously WOW, that’s the game who had billions of income.

at least you get it and yes they do with there system . but they are now using DX11 and

more . and for me the way i see it . i like to hope Anet Devs take offence to that fact

and do one far more better and out shine the other one with more better improvements

in doing so could stand a good chance to bring people back to the game as well as

even bring millions and millions of new players to the game . that would not tried this

game before the fact at the time it was only using DX9 . but wishes was horse then

Dolyak could talk and walk on 2 legs

4k when?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You’re assuming that people specifically chose not to play this game because it uses DX9.

4k when?

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

He also assumes that there will be magical improvements from a switch to DX11.

4k when?

Posted by: TheQuickFox.3826

TheQuickFox.3826

DX11 (For Win7 users) and DX12 (For Win10 users) support would be nice for a small free performance boost.
Still, I think Guild Wars 2 looks utterly amazing in DX9.

Ascalon will prevail!

GW Wiki user page  |  GW2 Wiki user page

4k when?

Posted by: crepuscular.9047

crepuscular.9047

why DX11/12? give vulkan some love xD

Ci7-4471 + Corsair Hydro H100i | EVGA GTX980Ti Hybrid | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB | Samsung EVO PRO

4k when?

Posted by: Henry.5713

Henry.5713

A change like that, I am talking about fully upgrading here and not some cheap changes, is a huge investment. The game is not horribly outdated yet and also more focused on artsy eshtetics rather than very sharp visuals.
An upgrade to the current engine is in the realms of a possibility still. You’ll have to wait for a few more years before they’d even consider it, however.
There is not a single publisher out there who could afford to completely upgrade the engine every few years and who’d even bother unless the game has been running successfully for a very long time and will continue to grow from the looks of it.

(edited by Henry.5713)

4k when?

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

As for this old discussion…

A-Net uses an old engine which was used for gw1, which was based upon an old (directX 7 FPS Engine (Unreal (2?) engine).
They modified the engine so far they were using only a couple of basic components ad dthey now had it running and were eventually allowed to use without paying COMMISION.

Then gw1 was released 3 games and 1 expansion on the 3 base games were supplied, without monthly fees.

Eventually GW2 was developed on a slightly modified version of the original gw1 engine. Now running Direct X 9.0c

This engine is property of ArenaNet. as as such it doesn’t cost them much to have you play on it.

IF Arenanet would buy the latest version of the unreal engine and do the project to get it running like this present engine they still own the owners of the engine 25% of all REVENUE made from this game, that’s 25% less updates, 25% less personell and 25% less servers. OR A MONTHLY FEE.

Even then all code needs to be rewritten, and the project would take years. I doubt gw2 as a game could afford the investments. also after these investments it would not be a new game. it would be the sma game just with a litlle more fluent gameplay, IF it works out.

Yes it sounds easy, but can this game afford no content updates for 2 years while the code is made to get this game refreshed? After 6 months of coding for HoT this game felt dead. I doubt this game would survive a DX12/ multi CPU update…

It will take time to rewrite the game (which is likely heavily spaghetti-ed due to 2 big code updates to the engine and the fact the base engine is so old.)
It will take resources (cash/manpower)
It will take commision (loss of revenue for the game)
It will change the minimum requirements of the game (even though most GPU’s should work with DX11 or 12 and most PC’s have 4 or more cores or threads nowadays)
Why? \\to make a 4+ year old game look a little more fluent, on high end systems only.
This game works on 4K screens (though the UI gets really small) it works on lower end laptops (i3’s and i5’s) without real problems except maybe for the fact it was made for 5 vs 5…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

4k when?

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

A-Net uses an old engine which was used for gw1, which was based upon an old (directX 7 FPS Engine (Unreal (2?) engine).
They modified the engine so far they were using only a couple of basic components ad dthey now had it running and were eventually allowed to use without paying COMMISION.

Then gw1 was released 3 games and 1 expansion on the 3 base games were supplied, without monthly fees.

Eventually GW2 was developed on a slightly modified version of the original gw1 engine. Now running Direct X 9.0c

This engine is property of ArenaNet. as as such it doesn’t cost them much to have you play on it.

IF Arenanet would buy the latest version of the unreal engine and do the project to get it running like this present engine they still own the owners of the engine 25% of all REVENUE made from this game, that’s 25% less updates, 25% less personell and 25% less servers. OR A MONTHLY FEE.

Even then all code needs to be rewritten, and the project would take years. I doubt gw2 as a game could afford the investments. also after these investments it would not be a new game. it would be the sma game just with a litlle more fluent gameplay, IF it works out.

Yes it sounds easy, but can this game afford no content updates for 2 years while the code is made to get this game refreshed? After 6 months of coding for HoT this game felt dead. I doubt this game would survive a DX12/ multi CPU update…

It will take time to rewrite the game (which is likely heavily spaghetti-ed due to 2 big code updates to the engine and the fact the base engine is so old.)
It will change the minimum requirements of the game (even though most GPU’s should work with DX11 or 12 and most PC’s have 4 or more cores or threads nowadays)
Why? \\to make a 4+ year old game look a little more fluent, on high end systems only.
This game works on 4K screens (though the UI gets really small) it works on lower end laptops (i3’s and i5’s) without real problems except maybe for the fact it was made for 5 vs 5…

That is completely FALSE

The reason Anet made Guildwars2 was because the old Guildwars engine could not do what they needed. For example jumping the old engine characters could not jump. The new one they can. There are other things that the old engine could not do either that was just one example.

Anet uses the Havok engine for GW2 so they have a lot of freedom in how the game is designed. The Havok engine is not designed by Anet but the game and artwork is

Now yes GW2 can run in 4k as long as your monitor can handle it, or you have a video card that can make your monitor run in 4k. 4k is not some kind of gaming mode its a monitor or television mode. I have an XFX RX470 4 GB video card that can use virtual super resolution on any 1080p monitor or tv to bring it to 4k, or anything in-between.
I have used it on GW2 myself and no the window does not go really small you still get a full window screen every thing is smaller putting more of everything you can see in the scenes. It also works in full screen mode gives you those choices in the game and yes everything is more vivid and sharp in 4k. The UI does get smaller that is normal every time the resolution is higher. For example an 800×600 UI is way bigger than 1080p is. So the smaller UI should be expected.

4k when?

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

And lock out the people that don’t have DX11/DX12 capability? That sounds like a really bad idea.

4k when?

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

That is completely FALSE

The reason Anet made Guildwars2 was because the old Guildwars engine could not do what they needed. For example jumping the old engine characters could not jump. The new one they can. There are other things that the old engine could not do either that was just one example.

Anet uses the Havok engine for GW2 so they have a lot of freedom in how the game is designed. The Havok engine is not designed by Anet but the game and artwork is

Now yes GW2 can run in 4k as long as your monitor can handle it, or you have a video card that can make your monitor run in 4k. 4k is not some kind of gaming mode its a monitor or television mode. I have an XFX RX470 4 GB video card that can use virtual super resolution on any 1080p monitor or tv to bring it to 4k, or anything in-between.
I have used it on GW2 myself and no the window does not go really small you still get a full window screen every thing is smaller putting more of everything you can see in the scenes. It also works in full screen mode gives you those choices in the game and yes everything is more vivid and sharp in 4k. The UI does get smaller that is normal every time the resolution is higher. For example an 800×600 UI is way bigger than 1080p is. So the smaller UI should be expected.

Havok is only a physics engine. It’s not the 3D engine the game runs on.

4k when?

Behellagh.1468

Havok is only the physics engine, the the game engine.

And even GW1 wasn’t built on any version of UE except possibly for a show demo. There is no DNA of any commercial game engine in GW and GW2, it’s made of whole cloth by ArenaNet. They primary change between the GW and GW2 engine is Dx9 Vs Dx8 and requiring the game to run on dual core or better.

RIP City of Heroes

4k when?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

That is completely FALSE

I won’t claim that there are no inaccuracies in Pax’s post, but you are mistaken in claiming that it is completely false. Much, if not all, is quite accurate.

4k when?

SlippyCheeze.5483

DX11 (For Win7 users) and DX12 (For Win10 users) support would be nice for a small free performance boost.
Still, I think Guild Wars 2 looks utterly amazing in DX9.

No, it wouldn’t. It wouldn’t be “free” by any stretch of the imagination, and also, it wouldn’t perform better to just “change to DX11”. Because that isn’t a thing.

If you make the same calls to the same API, performance would be … the same. If you change the calls made, it might change, but only if the previous API was less efficient and … generally not so much, unless you have a headily threaded client, which ANet do not have.

It’s like sticking a Porche body kit on a regular can, then wondering why it doesn’t suddenly go faster…

(edited by SlippyCheeze.5483)

4k when?

Posted by: Heriticus Spiritus.2489

Heriticus Spiritus.2489

I doubt very much that Anet will add 4k textures into the game any time soon, if ever. It would require a massive rework and take to much time.

One poster mentioned that it was doubtful that anyone could play the game in 4k with all graphics settings maxed. I beg to differ on that matter. I currently run the game at 3840×2160 with everything maxed on a fiftyfive inch Sharp Aquos 4k TV. I have a GTX 1060 running the game & graphics and a GTX 970 running just physics. Frame rates run around 60fps in L.A. in full sunlight. Cpu is an Intel i-7 4770k with 16gb of 1866mhz ddr3 ram, and Win 10 and all games installed on a nearly 4 year old SSD

It was also said that it was doubtful that the game would look much different in 4k. I beg to differ on that statement also. It already looks very good for an old game on an old engine, but going to 4k takes the looks of the game to whole new level! Everything looks much crisper and the colors really pop! It’s hard to put into words what the difference looks like.

It would be very disappointing if I ever had to leave the world of 4k gaming!

(edited by Heriticus Spiritus.2489)