4th Birthday - please Anet consider everyone

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

Player’s choice of any BL weapon skin for 4th year.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The price reduction in gems comes from being able to buy them with the gold the game hands you just for playing. Farm up some gold and get free gems. Can’t get much cheaper than free.

If you have to farm for something, it’s not “free.”

That’s not how “free” works.

You don’t “have to” farm for things in this game. Play the game, you get loot. Sell the loot, you have gold. Exchange the gold, you have gems.

Or in short, play the game, you (can choose to) get gems. For free, i.e. without going out of your way.

(Of course, if you want ALL THE THINGS, you’ll have to work harder for that, which might involve farming or more efficiently, taking a second job and converting dollars to gems.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

“There is no such thing as a free lunch. "

Fun fact: I once got a free lunch. A new restaurant was opening in my town and they wanted people to come in on their staff training day. You got a free main course and 1 drink and literally the only thing you had to do for it was be there on the right day, and put up with some of the staff not knowing what they were doing.

As for getting things with gold I agree with the idea that farming is only a way to get it faster. Since virtually everything in the game (except maybe PvP?) gives gold you could just play whatever you want and eventually you’d have enough gold for whatever you want to get.

But if you want loads of things or you’re impatient that’s probably not practical, and that’s when you have to farm for it. But it’s still an option rather than a requirement.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

So the issue with you is the gold value. It’s unfair to you that someone got a lot more value out of the gift than you did.

Geez.

Please stop making up motivations. The number is a comparison. The birthday gift should be something that people enjoy. Getting to salvage a dye for 1 to 4 pigments as opposed to getting a dye that is something you couldn’t afford or is something nice but that you wouldn’t have bought for yourself is a big difference.

Unless you think “Celebratory Pigment Pack – salvage item – salvage this to get 1 to 4 pigments of your choice” is a great birthday gift…

I’ve been getting these for a year now, 18 of them, including when people were getting dyes worth hundreds of gold, if I cared that others were getting more than I, I’d have started a thread long ago. I didn’t even start this thread, and jumped in only because of the “entitled” post and the poor and mean-spirited arguments against making things better. I don’t care that people got a lot out of the dye packs, just that some of us got effectively nothing, which makes the Celebratory Dye Pack kind of a downer.

But when you don’t have a reasonable argument, trying to make me out as a bad guy is all you have left.

Then why have you mentioned, numerous times the value of dyes to those who didn’t have them vs picking one and salvaging it for pigments. It certainly seems like the gold value is something that bothered you.

I was trying to reduce it to as simple a comparison as possible since some people can’t seem to comprehend the difference between a nice gift of something you couldn’t have gotten or wouldn’t have gotten for yourself and getting something worthless.

If the gift for everyone had been “Celebratory Pigment Pack – salvage item – salvage this to get 1 to 4 pigments of your choice” for everyone, nobody would have said, “Wow what a great gift!”

Thelgar.7214

As long as the birthday gifts appeal to the majority of players, I don’t see any issues. Just because some players chose to max out their dyes, doesn’t mean it was unreasonable, or unfair, for Anet to include them as a gift.

Edit: To add onto what I said, let’s say the 4th birthday gift is a chest that let’s us choose any black lion weapon skin (account bound). It would be unfair for players not to be given that sort of gift because of the very very that had unlocked all of those skins.

But why not make it so this doesn’t happen? It is entirely predictable that it will, and it is a simple fix to make it so it doesn’t happen, or happens with much, much, less frequency, by simply allowing a choice, or providing a ticket or redemption opportunity for people affected rather than just saying, let’s just leave some people out.

Somehow “chose to max out their dyes” is being twisted into a reason to get left out of the best part of the birthday gift, like those people did something wrong which makes it justifiable to not consider rectifying the situation. The petty meanness of it is palpable.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Somehow “chose to max out their dyes” is being twisted into a reason to get left out of the best part of the birthday gift, like those people did something wrong which makes it justifiable to not consider rectifying the situation. The petty meanness of it is palpable.

No people just choose to not care about your rich kid problems. It’s not petty to not empathize with those who have more than you. It’s entitlement to assume you deserve empathy though.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

“The simple fact is there is no good reason to not consider that people might have all of something when creating something like the birthday gift, which a lot of people look forward to. And that is all the OP asked for.”

Perhaps some having all of the dyes was taken into account and dismissed as too small of a percentage of the overall population. There’s really no way of knowing for sure. When it all comes down to it, there is no way to please everyone, just as many as possible. Only other option is an in-game mail of “Hey, grats on turning 4 & keep on grinding.” and just be done with it. Everyone gets the same thing and Anet doesn’t have to worry about any of the players having it….right?

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Thelgar.7214

“The simple fact is there is no good reason to not consider that people might have all of something when creating something like the birthday gift, which a lot of people look forward to. And that is all the OP asked for.”

Perhaps some having all of the dyes was taken into account and dismissed as too small of a percentage of the overall population. There’s really no way of knowing for sure. When it all comes down to it, there is no way to please everyone, just as many as possible. Only other option is an in-game mail of “Hey, grats on turning 4 & keep on grinding.” and just be done with it. Everyone gets the same thing and Anet doesn’t have to worry about any of the players having it….right?

“Only other option is an in-game mail of “Hey, grats on turning 4 & keep on grinding.” and just be done with it." – this is one of those poor arguments I’ve been talking about. There are plenty of other options. Quite simple options, using tickets and boxes that give a choice, for example – things prevalent throughout the game which wouldn’t require a significant amount of effort.

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

I have 18/22 Queen Jenna’s and am hoping to complete the set….

Good luck with birthday presents, I never liked socks much myself but was guilty of giving socks to orphans at wintersday…..

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Illconceived Was Na.9781

“Only other option is an in-game mail of “Hey, grats on turning 4 & keep on grinding.” and just be done with it." – this is one of those poor arguments I’ve been talking about. There are plenty of other options. Quite simple options, using tickets and boxes that give a choice, for example – things prevalent throughout the game which wouldn’t require a significant amount of effort.

The OP handled their disappointment with the 4th year BD present by waiting until this week posting four times (including this thread) to ask ANet reconsider their choice in the future. I expressed my opinion about it when it happened, hoped that they would take that into account this year, and then haven’t bought every last dye in a set since.

I don’t have a problem with the OP asking. I don’t have a problem with ANet making the same choice again either.

The fourth BD present was incredibly generous and awesome and I consider myself lucky that I could afford to be in a position where I didn’t need any of the dyes. I don’t think ANet needs to worry about the 10% when figuring out birthday rewards.

edit: updated to reflect OP’s comment that this wasn’t the first thread in which they’ve asked ANet to reconsider.

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not to mention the really cool finisher and title.

I think most players welcome any and all free gifts (I know, that’s redundant). As anyone should.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

No people just choose to not care about your rich kid problems. It’s not petty to not empathize with those who have more than you. It’s entitlement to assume you deserve empathy though.

There is a difference between not caring, and actively attempting to keep something from being done. And “entitlement” is Internet for “I don’t have a rational argument to make so I’ll use this word that i think makes people sound bad.”

Although, based on your post, maybe I’ve been confusing petty meanness with petty jealousy. Which I hope I’m not, because somehow that is even more pathetic.

Wut?

This is just a forum. We aren’t tipping off the devs to deny you a better “free gift”. It’s not our fault if you’re getting flummoxed at the lack of support to your cause or that people think it’s a waste of resources when Anet is clearly stretched thin enough as is.

I’m not flummoxed, though I appreciate the attempt to cast a negative aspersion on me by describing me as such. You get an A+ for oblique insults that won’t draw a mod response. I don’t have a cause, this isn’t my thread. And, if you read the OP, this thread is about asking the devs to not do something similar in the future. I’ve just been pointing out the incredibly poor reasoning being offered by posters in between “entitled” comments.

The OP made a simple post asking that this birthday gift not create the same situation as the last for anyone. And thus began the nonsense that it would be impossible and the string of objections to or in support of things not actually expressed in the thread. e.g. waste of resources when Anet is stretched thin, which was only mentioned by you now, that you said “people” think, but none mentioned in the thread.

The simple fact is there is no good reason to not consider that people might have all of something when creating something like the birthday gift, which a lot of people look forward to. And that is all the OP asked for.

That’s because it is nonsense to say that there is a solution that will please everyone. It is literally impossible to find a gift that will please everyone.

Shared inventory slots.
Unique skins only available through birthday gifts.
Unique dyes only available through birthday gifts.
Unique Minipets only available through birthday gifts.
Gems
Gold

Plenty of solutions floating around if people brainstormed rather than arguing over stupid kitten.

Gems and Gold isn’t all that exciting but atleast you get an infinite amount of options on where to invest it.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Thelgar.7214

There is a difference between not caring, and actively attempting to keep something from being done. And “entitlement” is Internet for “I don’t have a rational argument to make so I’ll use this word that i think makes people sound bad.”

Although, based on your post, maybe I’ve been confusing petty meanness with petty jealousy. Which I hope I’m not, because somehow that is even more pathetic.

Wut?

This is just a forum. We aren’t tipping off the devs to deny you a better “free gift”. It’s not our fault if you’re getting flummoxed at the lack of support to your cause or that people think it’s a waste of resources when Anet is clearly stretched thin enough as is.

I’m not flummoxed, though I appreciate the attempt to cast a negative aspersion on me by describing me as such. You get an A+ for oblique insults that won’t draw a mod response. I don’t have a cause, this isn’t my thread. And, if you read the OP, this thread is about asking the devs to not do something similar in the future. I’ve just been pointing out the incredibly poor reasoning being offered by posters in between “entitled” comments.

The OP made a simple post asking that this birthday gift not create the same situation as the last for anyone. And thus began the nonsense that it would be impossible and the string of objections to or in support of things not actually expressed in the thread. e.g. waste of resources when Anet is stretched thin, which was only mentioned by you now, that you said “people” think, but none mentioned in the thread.

The simple fact is there is no good reason to not consider that people might have all of something when creating something like the birthday gift, which a lot of people look forward to. And that is all the OP asked for.

That’s because it is nonsense to say that there is a solution that will please everyone. It is literally impossible to find a gift that will please everyone.

That doesn’t mean that the group not pleased can’t be smaller or at least have an attempt to not be smaller. Or that ANet attempts to please different groups of players each year, so that in the long term, the gifts have a little bit for everyone.

Another argument about something that wasn’t said. Nowhere was it said there was a solution that would please everyone. Just suggestions that would ensure it would make the group smaller.

Thelgar.7214

The OP handled their disappointment with the 4th year BD present by waiting until this week to ask ANet reconsider their choice in the future. I expressed my opinion about it when it happened, hoped that they would take that into account this year, and then haven’t bought every last dye in a set since.

I don’t have a problem with the OP asking. I don’t have a problem with ANet making the same choice again either.

The fourth BD present was incredibly generous and awesome and I consider myself lucky that I could afford to be in a position where I didn’t need any of the dyes. I don’t think ANet needs to worry about the 10% when figuring out birthday rewards.

You’re entitled to your opinion, and I respect that opinion. I think leaving out 10% is a really high number of your player base to leave out when it would be simple not to. I’d note that I handled my disappointment by not posting at all outside of jokingly replying to someone earlier this week that suggested an award for collecting all the dyes that there was already a reward – disappointment with your third birthday gift.

Other than that, I supported the OP after the first responses (not yours) in this thread consisted of insulting posts about entitlement and inaccuracies about the usability of the dyes if you already have them, followed by hyperbolic statements about the infeasibility of improving the system. Including, pretty awesomely, the argument that there were people out there that had everything and wouldn’t be happy with anything, so there was no use improving the system for anyone.

And more entitlement comments, and elitism too!

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

The OP handled their disappointment with the 4th year BD present by waiting until this week to ask ANet reconsider their choice in the future. I expressed my opinion about it when it happened, hoped that they would take that into account this year, and then haven’t bought every last dye in a set since.

Actually, I have posted many times on this subject since the 3rd birthday. If you read my posts, you’ll see that I’ve been consistent about addressing it as a problem with the way they build their reward systems.

Here are just some of my posts on the subject over the last year. I thought the 2nd one was kind of funny but nobody replied to it…

11 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Account-bound-minis/5455394

9 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mad-King-Says-No-Celebratory-Dye-For-You/5670159

7 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Cant-use-3rd-Birthday-Dye-gift/5900052

Thelgar.7214

Actually, I have posted many times on this subject since the 3rd birthday. If you read my posts, you’ll see that I’ve been consistent about addressing it as a problem with the way they build their reward systems.

Here are just some of my posts on the subject over the last year. I thought the 2nd one was kind of funny but nobody replied to it…

11 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Account-bound-minis/5455394

9 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Mad-King-Says-No-Celebratory-Dye-For-You/5670159

7 mos ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Cant-use-3rd-Birthday-Dye-gift/5900052

You, you, entitled elitist! :P

Checkit – this guy can see the future… January 8th, 12:30

Zephyrite Colour Swatches are account bound, there is literally no way for me to use this dye pack unless they add future dyes to it. Total oversight on their part. Inb4 someone says “entitled you have every dye dont complain about a free gift”

Posted by: serow.6524

serow.6524

I might be tempted to pay using real money if they had a gem promo, eg. USD 10 gets 1000 gems instead of 800, just for the anniversary.

Current 80s: Ranger, Mesmer, Guardian, Elementalist, Revenant, Necromancer.
Working on: Engineer

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’ve studied the varied and sometimes, dare I say, pedantic definitions of “free” in this thread and I’ve come to the conclusion that the best way for me to play this game is for me to spend my gaming time working overtime in my reasonably well-paid job and then pay someone else minimum wage to play on my behalf.

Posted by: Jaina Ashlynn.1043

Jaina Ashlynn.1043

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. The person is ultimately complaining about something they got for nothing; something Anet doesn’t even have to do at that.

Anvil Rock: Beta →Friday 13th 1/13/2017
Crystal Desert: 1/13/2017

Posted by: CryptoPseudoNym.3125

CryptoPseudoNym.3125

Frell, I’d be happy if they didn’t give another stack of lvl 20 or 30 scrolls… all my toons are 80, so a lvl 20 scroll is useless.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I’m hoping to receive a Birthday Complaint Booster to use on the forums. For 60 minutes any complaint and/or whine will get taken 20% more seriously by everyone. Note that this item does not stack with any other complaint boosters.

Failing that, some stripy socks in loud colours would do nicely. Thank you.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I am not a person who has bought more than a few dyes, but Anet should care about the type of player who maxes out ANYTHING in the game – these are dedicated players who should not be made to feel like they don’t count.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t think there’s a single item they could give for the birthday gift that would be universally useful to EVERYONE.

I mean, it’d have to be a brand new item, because per the argument in this thread there’s going to be at least a handful of players who have maxed any existing item they could pick. Free Black Lion weapon? Someone out there has them all. Free Legendary? Someone has ’em all. Free mini-pet of your choice? Someone has ’em all.

But even for new items, not everything is going to be useful to every player. An outfit? Some players hate outfits. An armor set? Someone’s not going to like the way it looks. Exclusive new dye? Some don’t care about new dyes or aren’t going to like the color. Exclusive weapon? Not all professions can use all weapons. Exclusive full weapon set to avoid the previous issue? People will complain they can only get 1 and not the full set (unless they go crazy and give the entire set out). Exclusive mini? We’ve seen how THAT one goes. Boost-based item like the Birthday Blaster? Plenty of people aren’t going to bother with it.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

So what DO you give someone who has everything?

I’m hoping to receive a Birthday Complaint Booster to use on the forums. For 60 minutes any complaint and/or whine will get taken 20% more seriously by everyone. Note that this item does not stack with any other complaint boosters.

Bonus Effect: Political Rampage! Everyone watching and not drinking Kool-Aid is forced to facepalm at the people usinga candidate as an insult, as they realize that the other one does the same thing. Everyone’s emails are lost in the process.

This is why all of our choices are terrible.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

(edited by DragonflyDusk.6582)

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

Last year, you could get regular (not gemstore) dyes from the kit and sell them. The best one you could sell was 10 gold ish. That was a good bonus yo those of us dye collectors who have supported anet through the gem store.

However, that did get patched. Now all you can do is salvage the due for some pigments. It’s pretty crappy.

My bet for this birthday gift is an immortal weapon skin. Nobody has a full set of them the most you could have do far is like 5 & they are gemstore skins with no associated achievement.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

I thought I heard that the Zephyrite Color Swatch dyes were not bound, just the special kits were account bound. I never picked one of those to test it, but I guess not? Perhaps someone with a “useless” kit could try it to verify.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

My guess is the 4th birthday will be a special glider. Of course that would tick off the core only players or maybe help encourage them to buy HoT so they can use it.

The Burninator

Posted by: Dreamslayer.7659

Dreamslayer.7659

Last year, you could get regular (not gemstore) dyes from the kit and sell them. The best one you could sell was 10 gold ish. That was a good bonus yo those of us dye collectors who have supported anet through the gem store.

However, that did get patched. Now all you can do is salvage the due for some pigments. It’s pretty crappy.

My bet for this birthday gift is an immortal weapon skin. Nobody has a full set of them the most you could have do far is like 5 & they are gemstore skins with no associated achievement.

I really hope not, I have 2 of those skins in boxes and I really don’t care for them but besides that, I would hope a 4th year item is unique, not just part of a gem store series.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Wut?

That doesn’t mean that the group not pleased can’t be smaller or at least have an attempt to not be smaller. Or that ANet attempts to please different groups of players each year, so that in the long term, the gifts have a little bit for everyone.

Another argument about something that wasn’t said. Nowhere was it said there was a solution that would please everyone. Just suggestions that would ensure it would make the group smaller.

Thelgar.7214

I really hope not, I have 2 of those skins in boxes and I really don’t care for them but besides that, I would hope a 4th year item is unique, not just part of a gem store series.

A new riding toy would be awesome. Now that they can be used in WvW I keep the broom, ascender and carpet in shared slots. Who needs siege anyway?!

I just thought of the perfect thing – a rideable Traherne, since we carried him for so long…

(edited by Thelgar.7214)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Shared inventory slots.
Gems
Gold

I’d be fine with any of these personally; however, there are things that need to be taken into consideration:

Shared inventory slots.

Would these still work for people at their max purchasable slots or would it be a “dead gift” for them (ie, can’t use it due to being maxed out)? If so, how many people would this affect? (cause you know, like the OP, they’d be on here up in arms)

Even if it didn’t count against the max slots (like I don’t think the booster slot did), you know there would still be people upset about getting one because they “have no use” for it.

Any of these would be awesome, but I feel they would absolutely have to be trade-able. First, because there would likely be a modicum of rng involved in what you got (like the original GW1 bday minis). Second, depending on how many are in the set (which I’m assuming would be yearly, like the old minis), and potentially your luck with RNG, you may not necessarily have enough alts to collect them all without being able to trade.

Gems
Gold

Gems I could see, maybe, but if they went that route, I can’t see it being more than like 400 gems so as not to affect either their bottom line or the in game economy.

Gold, I think is even less likely than Gems, imo. If we got gold, it would have to be a pittance so as not to harm the economy in any fashion, as well.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

sephiroth.4217

Shared inventory slots.
Gems
Gold

I’d be fine with any of these personally; however, there are things that need to be taken into consideration:

Shared inventory slots.

Would these still work for people at their max purchasable slots or would it be a “dead gift” for them (ie, can’t use it due to being maxed out)? If so, how many people would this affect? (cause you know, like the OP, they’d be on here up in arms)

Even if it didn’t count against the max slots (like I don’t think the booster slot did), you know there would still be people upset about getting one because they “have no use” for it.

Any of these would be awesome, but I feel they would absolutely have to be trade-able. First, because there would likely be a modicum of rng involved in what you got (like the original GW1 bday minis). Second, depending on how many are in the set (which I’m assuming would be yearly, like the old minis), and potentially your luck with RNG, you may not necessarily have enough alts to collect them all without being able to trade.

Gems
Gold

Gems I could see, maybe, but if they went that route, I can’t see it being more than like 400 gems so as not to affect either their bottom line or the in game economy.

Gold, I think is even less likely than Gems, imo. If we got gold, it would have to be a pittance so as not to harm the economy in any fashion, as well.

Shared inventory slot could be like the level 80 boost that we got, a separate shared inventory slot that stacks on top of what we have already purchased because there is no limit. And there’s always a use for shared inventory slots until they fix the rip off that is “buy a bag slot for 1 character for 400 gems”.

When I meant unique skins I kinda meant like the dragon we got for the security set up.. You can only get that dragon by doing that, so maybe something similar. Doesn’t need to be something in a set, just something to say “hey, I’m still here after 4 years”, sadly picking a dye doesn’t give that satisfaction.

Good points about Gems and gold, honestly that idea only came from Big Achievement chests n stuff we already get.

Obviously these are ideas, but the dye pack for a gift was mostly due to Electro dye kits, they needed to bring the prices down from over 1000g per electro dye so the gift itself was for economic reasons, not because we’re valued long time customers.

….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Shared inventory slot could be like the level 80 boost that we got, a separate shared inventory slot that stacks on top of what we have already purchased because there is no limit.

There’s no limit that we know of. But, that’s what I figured you meant, which should be sufficient.

And there’s always a use for shared inventory slots

While I agree with you on this, I know many that don’t. Like the people that complained about getting the free one with the booster. “One slot is useless” kind of complaints. Not the “let me move this out of my way” complaints.

When I meant unique skins I kinda meant like the dragon we got for the security set up.. You can only get that dragon by doing that, so maybe something similar.

Unfortunately unless its a set of items which we either can select 1 of or get 1 at random, we’d just end up with the Queen Jenna issue all over again.

Good points about Gems and gold, honestly that idea only came from Big Achievement chests n stuff we already get.

That’s what I thought of too when you put them in the list, which seemed fine at first blush. Then I considered potentially how many people would be getting those items at the same time and what the influx of those items could potentially do (and cringed).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Mandar.9813

Mandar.9813

It’s simple, if someone had bought those dyes just before that gift came out, they were out hundreds, possibly thousands of gold.

If someone else was just about to buy those dyes but then received their gift(s) then that’s a sale that someone didn’t make on the TP and an expensive dye that someone else received.

Those who already owned all the dyes available from the collection had no options other than salvage or forging.

If we had known in advance that “hey, your 3rd year gift is an account bound set of dyes”, we could have bought our dye collections more strategically and saved the last few, most expensive dyes to get with the gift.

You may not see it this way, but many of us feel left out and excluded because we were avid collectors – we feel like we should be given another option or a way to sell the dyes.

The current situation is not going to change, but I would like them to include other options or a gift that every player can use, regardless of progress in a specific area.

It’s going to be very hard to please anyone who has enough gold to just buy themselves whatever they want. Many of the dyes that were an option are expensive and so people who own them have enough gold to actually want for little to nothing. Good luck please you guys at all :P. They didn’t let y’all sell them because they didn’t want to crash the market on them, because you know…the same people that held their value in high esteem would start to cry about how they are worth so little now.

Your Resident Devil’s Advocate

Posted by: nihavel.6592

nihavel.6592

I bet my 2 cent that we will have a BLC Weapon Skin, anyway…

They are trying to drop the price of the older one yet.

Posted by: Krogan Battlemaster.9634

Krogan Battlemaster.9634

It might be nice to offer more selection, but to sit there AND WHINE about what we got, is just petty. As was said, it’s not a personal gift, it’s a company giving their players what they think they want. And most players were MORE than happy to receive the dyes just for their character moving up in age. They could have made it account bound, and gave one item, but they didn’t. They thought of the best way to reward the majority of their players, and to make them all have a great third year.
The few elitist who sits there and expects them to hand them a reward they want, for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, besides logging in to their character after it hits another year older, is just ludicrous. I currently have every single Black Lion weapon skin, since the Balthazar skins first came out. Doesn’t mean I will kitten, moan, and complain about feeling left out if they decide to give players their choice of Black Lion skin, because I went out of my way to buy it when I did. I took the risks, knowing that at any point, Anet could change something. But you know what? I signed up and accepted those risks, when I agreed to buy it. Just because someone else will get a good reward for it, doesn’t belittle how good it was of the company to give out.
And, the people who are complaining are making it out to be like they ONLY gave out the dye packs and left them out of the loop. Are they forgetting about the 5 skill point package, the birthday booster, title, and the free boost to level 30 that we got as well? Oh, no, they must have thought those was leaving them out too since they have a good amount of characters and don’t need them either. This entire ranting and raving is going to get them no where.
As I said, while I do think it will be nice for Anet to offer more selection in their rewards, it in no way belittles what they gave us FOR FREE.

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I am just happy to get a birthday present. After all it is the thought that counts.

sephiroth.4217

Shared inventory slot could be like the level 80 boost that we got, a separate shared inventory slot that stacks on top of what we have already purchased because there is no limit.

There’s no limit that we know of. But, that’s what I figured you meant, which should be sufficient.

And there’s always a use for shared inventory slots

While I agree with you on this, I know many that don’t. Like the people that complained about getting the free one with the booster. “One slot is useless” kind of complaints. Not the “let me move this out of my way” complaints.

When I meant unique skins I kinda meant like the dragon we got for the security set up.. You can only get that dragon by doing that, so maybe something similar.

Unfortunately unless its a set of items which we either can select 1 of or get 1 at random, we’d just end up with the Queen Jenna issue all over again.

That’s what I thought of too when you put them in the list, which seemed fine at first blush. Then I considered potentially how many people would be getting those items at the same time and what the influx of those items could potentially do (and cringed).

I actually mulled this crap over at work today… Turns out I am very happy with the Dyes for a selection, knowing Anet hands out ingame things that would cost lots of money is another good reason to not spend money on the game and just be patient, just like I was grinning Ghastly shield and a few other things.

And to be fair, I was very happy about the other things, even if they were just bugs like fractal weapon chests on the TP or a few legacy armors here and there. (which I still have because I already bought the skins from gem store… lol)

….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

I am pretty sure the last dye collection was awesome because it let me get like 6-7 100-300 gold dyes that I would have never bought. I’m confused where you got the impression that they made a mistake with birthday stuff and that they don’t consider the community?

I thought this was going to be about new players. Because I got excited when I heard about the 3rd year thing only to find out it goes by character age, so with a 9 month old account I didn’t get anything. Which is fine, I can wait, but I did feel a little left out. In another year and half I’ll be celebrating my free dyes why you guys get a pony I guess.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

GW1’s birthday presents are useful.

GW2’s not so much. How many useless Queen Jennah’s are there in the world? How many stacks (of non stacking) experience scrolls can you give us?

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

With GW2 4th Birthday approaching, I would like to request the 2nd Year Birthday present “Birthday Blaster” to become Account Bound instead of Soulbound.

No Revenant can have it, since none are even 1 year old yet, and nobody who changed main(and now plays Revenant) can have it before another 1 year and 3 months goes by.

This restriction also serves no purpose compared to other Birthday Rewards.

All my characters, old and new, can use the Mini Queen Jennah(s) which I got for Year1. They can also all use the Birthday Finisher I received for Year3, as well as whichever Free(AccountBound)Dyes I picked. All Titles acquired from Birthdays can also be displayed by any character, old and new.

I hope to see some amazing 4th Year Birthday Gifts, including special Decorations, or Scribe Recipes for Decorations(even Recipes became Account Bound by now!) for our Guild Halls. Surprise us!

Almost 4 years, and still having fun in Tyria.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s a thought. I know I wouldn’t mind being able to give one to a low level char. However is the birthday blaster even used that often? I might use mine more but the short 10 minute buff and how food overwrites it means I very rarely use mine.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Although I loved Guild Wars Birthday Gifts, I ended up with quite a few duplicate mini-pets. Even with a random selection of minis, one can end up with a lot of the same ones.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I am pretty sure the last dye collection was awesome because it let me get like 6-7 100-300 gold dyes that I would have never bought. I’m confused where you got the impression that they made a mistake with birthday stuff and that they don’t consider the community?

I thought this was going to be about new players. Because I got excited when I heard about the 3rd year thing only to find out it goes by character age, so with a 9 month old account I didn’t get anything. Which is fine, I can wait, but I did feel a little left out. In another year and half I’ll be celebrating my free dyes why you guys get a pony I guess.

Brand loyalty / early adoption is why the gifts do not go by game age.

I felt left out also when the karka chest was dropping precursors during the initial invasion event…but I wasn’t there participating so it’s my fault.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t feel too bad; not everyone received a Precursor from the Karka event (chest).

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I am just happy to get a birthday present. After all it is the thought that counts.

As long as it’s not another Queen Jennah!

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

For the birthday I’d love to see some of the older BL skins added to Champ Bag loot tables. Considering the ticket cost of the oldest ones is not feasible for anyone to pay and the lack of new skins showing up, I think it would be a good way for Anet to add some more skins while not really having to put any effort into it. We also get some of the skins we’ve been wishing for for several years.

Everybody wins.

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I like the idea.

Posted by: Bollocks.4078

Bollocks.4078

I’d love if they did this. Then people could put one in shared inventory and delete the rest.

Edit: this was in response to the idea of making the Birthday Blaster account bound.

(edited by Bollocks.4078)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like the idea. I could put one in a shared inventory slot and free up space on all my characters.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”