5 main cities are dead. They need some love

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Yes but it’s really difficult making players not congregate in one central location to advertise for groups and such.

That’s why more experienced game developers like Blizzard have Tradechat which is visible across all the cities so it doesn’t matter which your in for LFG. Ohh wait and that’s right you can just solo que and it will make a group for you……

But no it’s not hard at all you just have to have good designers.

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

They must add content to force players to explore and go several places, not focus everything in just one place like LA that is now full-time overflow.

Even Mini-games as the brawl are kinda empty already O.o

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: LordNat.4963

LordNat.4963

I’d love to see events in the main cities, things that expand on NPC’s stories or just the history of the town/race.
Maybe like 10 smaller events that happen randomly and a big story meta event for each town. Maybe reward with tokens that you can use for cultural armor. It’d make the towns feel more alive and have people use them more.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I still see decent activity in rata, divinities, and occasionally black citadel, but hoelbrak and grove are dead as can be, which is sad because they are some of the most impressive towns (BC is still my favorite but only cause I’m a charr at heart). I don’t understand why people hate the grove so much, its an amazing town, and once you realize all the convenience locations are just on the 2nd level it no less convenient than anywhere else. plus everything glows at night, c’mon lol. Not to mention the interesting bar they have. I prefer it over the other town bars hands down.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

I still see decent activity in rata, divinities, and occasionally black citadel, but hoelbrak and grove are dead as can be, which is sad because they are some of the most impressive towns (BC is still my favorite but only cause I’m a charr at heart). I don’t understand why people hate the grove so much, its an amazing town, and once you realize all the convenience locations are just on the 2nd level it no less convenient than anywhere else. plus everything glows at night, c’mon lol. Not to mention the interesting bar they have. I prefer it over the other town bars hands down.

I put all my characters in the Grove because it is a pretty nice town. Still, it could use some improvement (more hidden off the map areas would be cool).

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I think it is unfortunate that the racial cities have no use except your story quest.
Frequently I wish L.A. didn’t exist, despite it being a great city in its own right. It feels like if you owned a huge house, but only kept the heat on in one room. We’re all squished in together, and all that work on the cities goes wasted.

I run with map chat turned off 90% of the time. I do wish we had other chat channels that we could join, like you find in basically every other mmo. I personally would avoid any global channel most of the time, but would love one for alliances of guilds, say.

As is, all of Tyria basically boils down to Lion’s Arch and a couple adventure zones. It’s unfortunate. But that’s the way they built it.

Posted by: RapidSausage.4620

RapidSausage.4620

this is just normal no matter what ANet does.
players will always find a city that best provides the facilities an has the accessibility they require.

GW1 had Kamadan, GW2 has Lions Arch.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Fotm kinda put the final nail in other cities population

And the open world’s population. I had to transfer to a higher pop server after the patch because many open world group events became spectator sports due to the lack of players on my server. It did help as little due to the sheer difference in number of players. But, you really should not introduce solutions to non-problems that kill servers, cities, and the game in general. I liked my home city and the open world much much better before the patch. The sad part is the degradation would be predictable in any thought experiment. Don’t understand why they would choose to do this to the game.

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

+1 pls A.Net don’t let the cities die
make so each city has something unique and WORTH spending lot of time there

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

this is just normal no matter what ANet does.
players will always find a city that best provides the facilities an has the accessibility they require.

GW1 had Kamadan, GW2 has Lions Arch.

You might consider the game pre-patch and post-patch. LA is currently in overflow for one reason and one reason only: FotM.

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

Any one else notice the 5 main cities are pretty much dead most the time except for on rare occasions?

Unless its just my server lol.

Lions Arch is turning into the main hub…which is sad imo…they are following most other MMO’s out there by turning the other great cities into ghost zones and only focusing on one city…

I know lore wise LA is the central hub for all races…but does no one else think the other cities need some love to?

LA seems to get all the love for events and everything. Why not have other events that effect the other cities once in a while.

I personally love the Norn city…its so dead though..other then the fact of NPC’s

People roleplay 24/7 in Divinity’s Reach on Tarnished Coast. Not sure about the other cities.

LA is where people go to find dungeon teams (there’s a new dungeon in the center of town so like, no surprise there), but the rest of the cities seem to get some heavy usage. I can’t really speak for Rata Sum or The Grove since I rarely visit them, but I’ve at least seen occasional roleplay in the Black Citadel and in Hoelbrak (just not the same scale as Divinity’s Reach).

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

I’d like to see a global LFG (global per server, if you make it cross server you WILL have jerks because you’ve removed the social penalties for being one)

Whether it’s just a channel or a tool.

I don’t like standing around any capital city spamming for a group. I’d much rather do that while doing something more productive.

Kerithlan.1659

Yes but it’s really difficult making players not congregate in one central location to advertise for groups and such.

Agreed…but then that should point to the need of getting a real looking for group system put into the game.

That way people don’t have to sit in one place all day spamming LFG and so on.

I am way against a dungeon finder with automatic party creation. That’s not what this game is about.

However, I am in favor of a system similar to Guild Wars’ party system. Opening the party panel allowed players to see which other players were looking for teams. I want a version of that which can be sorted/filtered/searched and encompasses the entire server. I think that’d sort the majority of problems.

Imagine being able to open a panel that allows you to find a dungeon group, find a guild, find a WvW raiding party, and so on. I think that’d be very welcome to the majority of players.

Kerithlan.1659

I remember =r when we were told the cities would all ave events going on and mini games.

I also remember reading how our personal home instance would change and people would react to us differently and we could invite friends to visit our home instances and see what we have built and so on….I dont see any of that…..

Hoelbrak has the keg mini-game. That’s all I can remember off-hand.

The content is there, it’s just not used. That’s partially because no one looks for it and partially because it isn’t well-advertised.

Posted by: Nageth.5648

Nageth.5648

Agreed…but then that should point to the need of getting a real looking for group system put into the game.

That way people don’t have to sit in one place all day spamming LFG and so on.

I am way against a dungeon finder with automatic party creation. That’s not what this game is about.

However, I am in favor of a system similar to Guild Wars’ party system. Opening the party panel allowed players to see which other players were looking for teams. I want a version of that which can be sorted/filtered/searched and encompasses the entire server. I think that’d sort the majority of problems.

Imagine being able to open a panel that allows you to find a dungeon group, find a guild, find a WvW raiding party, and so on. I think that’d be very welcome to the majority of players.

Agreed, some sort of bulletin board or something that lets you advertise grouping.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Player created global chat channels.

Technically trivial to implement, as it´s already here in the form of Guild chat.
And would give us players the tool to solve our problems dynamically without tying up a single Dev-hour writing some stupid LFG tool.

Polish > hype

Posted by: raenen.5807

raenen.5807

Other then for sake of story having more then 1 city is a complete waste of resources. Like having vendors that sell white gear on every corner. I would love to have the labor hours they spent on making the other cities put into making things less buggy.