5 years from now Items

5 years from now Items

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gele.2048

Gele.2048

Q:

question for arena net in a game where u dont have item progression ,what we gonna have on our characters i have ascendent gear and 5/10 years from now i’m gonna have the same statcs whit 0 items stronger ? as well same lvls ? nothing else no carrot on stick to chase ?
I love to make my character stronger whit skills items statcs and i don’t think i’m not the only one but seriously for everyone out there that thinks this is smart question as well, do u guys like to build the best gear out there on the first year of playing the game and use that gear years and years out of the line just keep on changing the skins on it ?
sorry for the bad English guys not my native language….

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Guild Wars is not a game about chasing the gear treadmill, no. There’s actually a lot of us who bought this game PRECISELY because of that reason. Keep in mind that originally, Exotic was meant to be the highest stat tier; we were already quite upset by the introduction of Ascended gear, which was likely put in as a compromise to players like you who do like chasing higher stats.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Hint: In ‘vertical progression’ games, you’re not really "getting *STRONKER" if the enemies are properly scaled. You’re just seeing bigger white numbers than you did a couple weeks ago. Let the deception sink in a bit then ask us if WE’RE the crazy ones again please.

GW1 survived for 8 years doing exactly what you claim is ridiculous. What’s even better, try health pools of 500ish and ‘HUGE ATTACKS’ coming in the form of…. “Whoa! 129 damage!!”

This game is based off of an instanced semi-strategy game. They’re doing great leaps (at the detriment of their true fans) to make it more ‘appreciable’ to all the other ‘classic MMO’ sillies out there.

Mmmkay…

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The previous game, Guild Wars 1, had no gear progression at all and only 20 levels. People played it for years.

Gear progression games are usually games where you grind dungeons to get higher gear. When an expansion comes out, that gear is now second rate and you level some more and start the grind again. This game isn’t a gear progression grind game, by design, and you shouldn’t expect it.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Not interested in gear treadmill games where every couple months everything I’ve worked for becomes garbage and I have to start acquiring new gear all over again. No thanks, been there done that got the T-shirt. There’s plenty of those kinds of games on the market if that’s what you like.

I prefer getting better at my game, not my gear getting “stronger” (which is fake anyway since those kinds of games increase the monster’s and player’s health).

5 years from now Items

Gele.2048

well guys there is reason why gw1 is there where is it and wow where is it, also having the same gear for years to come don’t u think its super boring ?
And gw 1 had million skill combinations while gw 2 have nothing its more linear ,everyone is almost the same and u cant compare them on same lvl or even same type games.I mean come on gw 2 had 1 healing skill new in 2 years while gw1 had more then 1500 skills ,dual class system free set on skill not define by weapon (beside warrior,paragon)and whit just that it had more depth inside the game while i feel gw2 is more shallow and noob to CASUAL almost kitteneth friendly from a guy that got more then 17k achievement points and a guy that have god walking among mere mortals and 50/50 eoth in gw 1 so i know the difference a lot, also gw 1 was single player game, story driven whit multilayer aspects and trading not MMO .

5 years from now Items

Gele.2048

Also healing gw2 have soft healing while gw1 had the holy trinity which add more depth to pvp/dungeons etc.Here we have same gear zerker mainly in pve rush dps shallow and extremely stupid dungeons to do no end game at least gw 1 had end game elite areas player driven economy not GEM economy .PS the end game in gw 2 is turning into gem store skins u have 50 of those whit gems and 1 in game that u have to work for completing tasks etc etc .And the worst AI in any game ever written we all have seen it it makes the pve game dps rush even more there is no reason anyone to tank while gw 1 had and we had option to make tanky gear whit tanky runes here kill it faster take the gold and start different path or different dungeon cuz u farming and farming to buy gems whit gold so u can play the end game which is SKINS!!!or you use credit cards.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

WoW is the success story it is because it’s perfected many of the sneaky addictive mechanisms to hook players in and keep them playing. Notice how Blizzard has never announced plans for a WoW 2? That’s because they don’t want two games competing for their own massive player base. They even canceled their mysterious Project Titan MMO for likely the same reason. And the players themselves have invested so much time and energy into WoW that the thought of dropping it all and leaving is frankly terrifying to them.

Games like Guild Wars are catering to a different audience, the ones who don’t want the game to be about gear treadmills and running raids over and over and over for a 0.02% chance to get that new gear you want. (Although arguably, GW2 is heading down that path now.)

GW1’s massive skill options was fun, yes, but there was also a downside. It made balancing a real headache, and to be honest, outside of a small selection of top tier skills, the vast majority of skills were never, ever used. Orison of Healing was the baseline heal skill to which all other healing skills were compared, but no Monk worth his salt EVER carried it on his bar. (If he did, it was a dead giveaway that you were dealing with a newbie.)

5 years from now Items

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

No more boring than playing a Red Queen’s Race where you’re chasing better numbers in order to fight monsters that have better numbers, and in the end the gameplay is the same as if the numbers had never increased at all.

What I find interesting is trying out new skills, new tactics… new forms of gameplay, basically. If I’m doing the same thing as I was doing before, it doesn’t make a difference if I’m dealing 10DPS to monsters with 1000 health or if I’m doing 10000DPS to monsters with 1000000 health. While if the gameplay is different, it likewise doesn’t matter if I have the same statistics I had before.

If the endless carrot-dangling is your idea of fun, there are plenty of games that cater for that. People are free to play what they enjoy… and that goes for us as well as you.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

You know, this thread has furthered my desire to reinstall GW1 and take my old characters for a spin

I loathe gear progression. Heck , after my first GW1 character finished the story, I had the rest of my characters “ran” to Droknar’s Forge, to get the max armor and weapons, so I wouldn’t have to worry about it while I played the rest of the game

5 years from now Items

Gele.2048

No more boring than playing a Red Queen’s Race where you’re chasing better numbers in order to fight monsters that have better numbers, and in the end the gameplay is the same as if the numbers had never increased at all.

What I find interesting is trying out new skills, new tactics… new forms of gameplay, basically. If I’m doing the same thing as I was doing before, it doesn’t make a difference if I’m dealing 10DPS to monsters with 1000 health or if I’m doing 10000DPS to monsters with 1000000 health. While if the gameplay is different, it likewise doesn’t matter if I have the same statistics I had before.

If the endless carrot-dangling is your idea of fun, there are plenty of games that cater for that. People are free to play what they enjoy… and that goes for us as well as you.

I see your point and i agree whit you on many lvls but gw 2 dosent offer different gameplay cuz the AI is extreme bad coding i mean kid whit 2 months in java Script can code something better :P also no new skills no new combinations no healing ,tanking, more then 2 years and not even word from arena net where they see this game in the years to come beside GEM store , so how then do u keep the progression in the game , that thing that makes you log in day by day to complete something if those things are not items .At least in gw 1 you had some titles that made u stronger vs types of enemies (sun spear vs demons /the faction titles in eye of the north add dmg and duration to some of the faction skills ) here we don’t have that beside the title of magic Find i have around 200% i don’t see difference and why i need this when every item that will drop will be less then the items i already have blues,greens /beside rares for chase to ecto so you can craft but why even craft when u are full ascendent gear to begin whit ?
How do you keep the player-base log in if they don’t chase items which are mainly easy to be done whit repeatable content .The living story is joke in 1 hour and u do 2 months of content and u dont have to try to be good even if u die million times its still dps rush zerker or assassin?
And that final question the feeling when u get dropped of something that you can use something that will make u feel better inside we don’t have it here !what will the reward from raids be then ?more Barby dress up .I know arena net started working on raids cuz im sorry to sey this even if i like gw 2 they seems to be losing numbers more and more they straggle not just how to make new players but how to keep the existing player-base stay and log in here .My friend list from 100 people i see only max 4 online in prime time thac sad where did all those player go?Chasing the carrot in different game ? and all those new that will come what they asking is the same question since day one on lunch most of us asked what should i do since i lvl up to 80 what is the END GAME here !

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

There’s things that Anet still needs to add that would complete this tier of items before they even think about releasing a stronger set of items in the gear treadmill.

• Ascended Food
  • Ascended slaying potions and utility nourishments
  • Ascended Runes
  • Ascended Sigils
  • Finish adding Ascended Trinkets so every lv80 gear stat has an ascended version.

Though this is sort of a gear treadmill in a way, the introduction of ascended tier wouldn’t really be complete without those 5 things as a minimum. They could go a little faster than they are now though…

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

I don’t know about you, but if I wanted to play a gear grind game, I would play something like WoW or Diablo or Path of Exile. If they ever design gear with better stats than ascended (legendary maybe?), it will probably take a couple of years at least. This is just not that type of game where all you do is kill monsters all day to get a new piece of equipment.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Umm… 5 years? Thread title smacks of vast optimism.

Very well, I’ll bite.

Gemstore still selling useless vanity items, very little substance in the game beyond the living world, no sign of expansions, new races, new weapons, new professions, etc… oh and craftable precursors are still on the backburner.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

5 years from now Items

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Games are supposed to be about skill not how big your wand is.

Server: Gate of Madness

5 years from now Items

Posted by: hydeaut.1758

hydeaut.1758

There’s things that Anet still needs to add that would complete this tier of items before they even think about releasing a stronger set of items in the gear treadmill.

• Ascended Food
  • Ascended Runes
  • Ascended Sigils
  • Finish adding Ascended Trinkets so every lv80 gear stat has an ascended version.

Though this is sort of a gear treadmill in a way, the introduction of ascended tier wouldn’t really be complete without those 5 things as a minimum. They could go a little faster than they are now though…

you forgot:

• ascended infusions
  • legendary armor (and maybe even trinkets)

5 years from now Items

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

You know, this thread has furthered my desire to reinstall GW1 and take my old characters for a spin

you know what? i did just that recently. suddenly … all the boredom, frustration and anger about gw2 washed away. now i’m back to min-maxing gvg and ha teambuilds i’ll never actually play and heroing endgame content. i didn’t drop gw2 all together (still doing something here and there now and then) but that little voice in my head that says “you totally want to play gw1 again” is completely right. i did duncan, uw and urgoz recently and i can’t wrap my head around how anything (except the aetherblade path in ta which i really like) in gw2 could compete with that in terms of content quality.

that said, btt: no item prog plz. i somehow managed to bury my deeply rooted wrath, anger and hatred towards everyone responsible for ascended gear deep inside me, don’t you dare to ever wake it.

5 years from now Items

Gele.2048

I don’t know about you, but if I wanted to play a gear grind game, I would play something like WoW or Diablo or Path of Exile. If they ever design gear with better stats than ascended (legendary maybe?), it will probably take a couple of years at least. This is just not that type of game where all you do is kill monsters all day to get a new piece of equipment.

My friend i grind more in gw 2 then in any of those games each day dungeons paths world bosses cursed shore so i can have gems to buy the END game Skins and yes i swing the sword over and over and over and each time i find good grind farm place arena net will nerf it .

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

• Ascended Food
  • Ascended Runes
  • Ascended Sigils

you forgot:

• ascended infusions
  • legendary armor (and maybe even trinkets)

Working up to Ascended Infusions would require the devs to add Masterwork, Rare, and Exotic Infusions first.

Walk in Baby steps man. Walk in Baby steps. (then again, Babies crawl, so….there you go!)

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

question for arena net in a game where u dont have item progression ,what we gonna have on our characters i have ascendent gear and 5/10 years from now i’m gonna have the same statcs whit 0 items stronger ? as well same lvls ? nothing else no carrot on stick to chase ?

Yes, that was the idea. That was one of the reasons i bought this game. And i am still disappointed (to put it mildly), by the existence of ascended gear. Having more of that hamster wheel stuff? No, thank you, i’d rather not see it here.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

Please look up horizontal progression. Then reconsider your purchase.

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

nm

Just read your last line.

(edited by Prophet.6257)

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I love to make my character stronger whit skills items statcs and i don’t think i’m not the only one but seriously for everyone out there that thinks this is smart question as well, do u guys like to build the best gear out there on the first year of playing the game and use that gear years and years out of the line just keep on changing the skins on it ?

- Your character won’t become any stronger with gear grind. It’s just the same if you deal 1000 damage to a monster with 1 million health than if you dealt 1500 damage on monster with 1.5 million health. If stuff is dying too fast they are just going to buff resistances so that the player experience stays the same. It already happened and it was one line in patch notes.

What gear grind does is
1) separate population of players who have played for a long time from those who are just starting
2) slower player progression through the game
3) provide a cheap alternative to designing an actually challenging game

5 years from now Items

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

oh trust me, they have progression. Ascended was the single worst decision they made. They literally became like all of the other MMOs out there the day they announced it. And no they don’t need more progression they need it to remain where it is now.

Skins are good so long as everyone can get to them. No one should be forced into doing parts of the game that aren’t part of the play style we should have actual “play as you like” mechanics in this game by now. Karma is going to waste big time in this game.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

5 years from now Items

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

oh trust me, they have progression. Ascended was the single worst decision they made. They literally became like all of the other MMOs out there the day they announced it. And no they don’t need more progression they need it to remain where it is now.

Skins are good so long as everyone can get to them. No one should be forced into doing parts of the game that aren’t part of the play style we should have actual “play as you like” mechanics in this game by now. Karma is going to waste big time in this game.

Agreed.

- Your character won’t become any stronger with gear grind. It’s just the same if you deal 1000 damage to a monster with 1 million health than if you dealt 1500 damage on monster with 1.5 million health. If stuff is dying too fast they are just going to buff resistances so that the player experience stays the same. It already happened and it was one line in patch notes.

What gear grind does is
1) separate population of players who have played for a long time from those who are just starting
2) slower player progression through the game
3) provide a cheap alternative to designing an actually challenging game

Totally correct.

you know what? i did just that recently. suddenly … all the boredom, frustration and anger about gw2 washed away. now i’m back to min-maxing gvg and ha teambuilds i’ll never actually play and heroing endgame content. i didn’t drop gw2 all together (still doing something here and there now and then) but that little voice in my head that says “you totally want to play gw1 again” is completely right. i did duncan, uw and urgoz recently and i can’t wrap my head around how anything (except the aetherblade path in ta which i really like) in gw2 could compete with that in terms of content quality.

Hrm, well I never did do Winds of Change… think I’ll give it a go!

Anyway, to the OP… this game was sold to us in good confidence that it would never be what you ask for. Ascended Gear has already cracked that promise. No further divergence will be tolerated. Sorry. Go someplace else.