600gold gone, due to websites lying

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SaberSamSlayer.7691

SaberSamSlayer.7691

Dusk tier 1 cost 220gold fair enough, but tier 2 is another 360gold + i needed 250gold to get the Ascended steel ingots for these Night blades and hilts.

I cant wait to see what tier 3 is, i feel Anet has gone the total wrong way about these precursors. i can see its just going to be a money fest.

600gold gone in minutes with no way to ask for it back.

Kinda sad , sorry if this is a rant.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Whilst the material value is very high, you needn’t spend hundreds of gold. They are designed as long term goals and can cost very little if you gather and craft. If you aim to complete quickly and not gather/craft, then the cost is naturally going to be very high, a mechanic in place to prevent everyone gaining precursors immediately.

I do think some of the materials costs are either overtuned or imbalanced when you compare different precursor reqs, but the gold bill people are footing is simply down to players wanting rush through and get the precursor as quickly as possible.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

Just to ask, did they ever claim legendaries would be less expensive than they were previously? They’ve just made the system feel more rewarding and more progressive than before. In fact it’s cheaper as far as I’m aware because you don’t have to outright buy a precursor off the TP.

| Lithia |

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

What websites are lying?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: sazberryftw.3809

sazberryftw.3809

What websites are lying?

Assumed they meant ANet news prior to new legendary system releasing.

| Lithia |

(edited by sazberryftw.3809)

Posted by: HtFde.3856

HtFde.3856

Whilst the material value is very high, you needn’t spend hundreds of gold. They are designed as long term goals and can cost very little if you gather and craft. If you aim to complete quickly and not gather/craft, then the cost is naturally going to be very high, a mechanic in place to prevent everyone gaining precursors immediately.

I do think some of the materials costs are either overtuned or imbalanced when you compare different precursor reqs, but the gold bill people are footing is simply down to players wanting rush through and get the precursor as quickly as possible.

That’s an error in thinking, though. If you sold the materials instead of using them to craft … would you have actually made a profit if you bought the precursor from the TP with the revenue from the material sale? Especially if you checked beforehand if selling, say, Deldrimor steel actually is better than selling the materials of which it is made?

The whole crafting concept is rather broken and the precursor crafting cost is WAY beyond what it should be. The whole problem started with ANet bowing to the guys with the big wallets, making the ascended materials not account bound.

PMI – Dzagonur Rallybot :)

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

plenty of posts here telling ppl the precusor crafting costs more than buying from the tradepost. Plus precursor crafting is for u to farm those items and not buy them from the tradepost.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It depends on whether the precursor you’re crafting primarily uses wood rather than ore.

HtFde.3856

plenty of posts here telling ppl the precusor crafting costs more than buying from the tradepost. Plus precursor crafting is for u to farm those items and not buy them from the tradepost.

Which sounds like a nice idea but kind of negelcts the fact that ascended materials are sellable (though they should not be) … so … if you gather the materials needed and SELL them on the TP instead of crafting the precursor you’re likely to make more than the precursor costs on the TP … which kind of defies the whole concept of making them craftable in the first place.

Posted by: Derdhal.6908

Derdhal.6908

I made my own Dusk a couple of weeks ago. I used Excel to know all I needed and then I searched all that stuff at TP. It was about 400 gold. Of course, I searched the “primary” mats, not “processed” and, of course, I had a lot of them in the bank so I didn’t buy all. It was your decision to buy deldrimor steel instead of gather the mats and make it yourself, one per day.

Posted by: Shados.1306

Shados.1306

The only point of precursor crafting (unless you have fun with doing it for the sake of doing it, which a lot of people do), is to put a cap on how much effort is required to get a precursor, since the mystic forge is so unpredictable.

So if all of a sudden everyone started putting dusks for 10000 golds and ascended materials went to 100 gold, you’d just say “fudge that, I’m going to make it myself”.
They are also an option for people who are just unable to set on that much gold and will spend it…you can just toss it in the collection instead bit by bit.

At current prices though, we’re very far from the point where they’re worth making (even when crafting is cheaper, the time it takes to do all the events, especially the bugged ones or the ones requiring failing, pending fixes, is just not worth it).

That’s fine though, you have an option if that ever changes. HoT made it really easy to get money to buy a precursor though (I made a Bolt just a few weeks after HoT, after failing at making meaningful progress ever since the original game’s launch), so for now its just not necessary.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I suspect the current situation of precursors being cheaper on the TP than from collections isn’t going to last.

Precursor prices crashed as soon as the collections were announced because of people panic-selling. But as word gets around that the collections aren’t a cheap and easy way to get precursors (which Anet never said they would be) it will settle down.

It might not ever match up exactly because it will be affected by precursors from drops and the Forge and the price of materials which is affected by all kinds of other things, but everything is kind of in flux following HoT coming out (especially ascended mats) so it’s not surprising they don’t match now.

But collections were mainly aimed at people who hated relying on RNG (either directly or via buying from someone who got a lucky drop) and wanted a guaranteed way to get a precursor, not people who wanted cheap precursors.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

As far as I know they only ever claimed you’d be able to get precursors without having to hope for the MF or random drop.

What compelled you to simply buy all of the ingredients? Why not work on collecting over the course of months?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Hakuryuu.8634

Hakuryuu.8634

Just to ask, did they ever claim legendaries would be less expensive than they were previously? They’ve just made the system feel more rewarding and more progressive than before. In fact it’s cheaper

>Fact it’s cheaper
>It’s cheaper
>Cheaper
>Cheap

Ahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I suspect the current situation of precursors being cheaper on the TP than from collections isn’t going to last.

Precursor prices crashed as soon as the collections were announced because of people panic-selling. But as word gets around that the collections aren’t a cheap and easy way to get precursors (which Anet never said they would be) it will settle down.

It might not ever match up exactly because it will be affected by precursors from drops and the Forge and the price of materials which is affected by all kinds of other things, but everything is kind of in flux following HoT coming out (especially ascended mats) so it’s not surprising they don’t match now.

But collections were mainly aimed at people who hated relying on RNG (either directly or via buying from someone who got a lucky drop) and wanted a guaranteed way to get a precursor, not people who wanted cheap precursors.

Assuming people do their research (huge assumption though) then buying should always end up cheaper. If the price of collecting becomes cheaper people would eventually shift to doing it that way which will push the price on the TP down over time until it becomes cheaper to buy again.

Posted by: Llethander.3972

Llethander.3972

Assuming people do their research (huge assumption though) then buying should always end up cheaper. If the price of collecting becomes cheaper people would eventually shift to doing it that way which will push the price on the TP down over time until it becomes cheaper to buy again.

The current problem is the fact that if you craft all the materials required to craft the precursor but, instead, sell those materials on the TP you will be able to buy the precursor from the TP AND still have made a profit.

This means there’s absolutely no point in crafting the precursor.

(edited by Llethander.3972)

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

The current problem is the fact that if you craft all the materials required to craft the precursor but, instead, sell those materials on the TP you will be able to buy the precursor from the TP AND still have made a profit.

You’re saying the same thing just phrase it differently.

I have to agree with Kisanth, IF the collections are cheaper (it’s actually a mixture of cheaper gold wise and the amount of effort required, but let’s not get into to much detail) players will do the collections and sell the resulting precursor. Thus increasing supply and reducing precursor price on the TP. At the same time the price of required materials will rise due to higher demand. Both effects will lead to precursors being cheaper off the TP than crafting them.

It’s the same effect as in almost every other MMO where gathering professions eventually end up being the most lucrativ since crafting professions alwaysend up with this conundrum (unless crafting is heavily timegated). Now with guildwars not having any gathering professions… I hope you get what I’m going for.

(edited by Cyninja.2954)

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

There might be no point in crafting them currently, but what’s current doesn’t stay the same forever. As Khisanth pointed out, there might be a time in the future (probably once ascended crafting for raids and the initial flood of precursor crafting goes down) that the scales tip back and crafting becomes the cheaper option for awhile.

Plus, options are always better in the end. Even with the net loss by the end, some people would rather do the slow and steady grind of the crafting over the long haul of just buying it.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Just to ask, did they ever claim legendaries would be less expensive than they were previously? They’ve just made the system feel more rewarding and more progressive than before. In fact it’s cheaper

>Fact it’s cheaper
>It’s cheaper
>Cheaper
>Cheap

Ahahahahahahahaha

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29185-Dusk
wait for the Acquisition panel to load and click on SL for shopping list.

It is considerably cheaper to craft dusk compared to buying it from the tp

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Dusk tier 1 cost 220gold fair enough, but tier 2 is another 360gold + i needed 250gold to get the Ascended steel ingots for these Night blades and hilts.

I cant wait to see what tier 3 is, i feel Anet has gone the total wrong way about these precursors. i can see its just going to be a money fest.

The thing is that Anet never said building legendaries would be gold free… They averaged out costs for stuff and dropped them into the equation.

Now I’m not agreeing with these decisions, I’m just saying.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

PAX South transcript

Finally, another example of something that you’ll be able to master with the mastery system, something that I think a lot of you love today if you’re a GW2 fan, is collecting, crafting and building. It’s a big component of GW2. And when I think of mastering collecting, crafting and building, I think legendary weapon is the ultimate version of crafting and collecting in GW2. So, there’s one component to building a legendary that is the hardest component to that experience – can you guys tell me what you think that is? [PRECURSORRRRSSS] Did you say precursor! oh that’s it! Yay! Clearly we need to do something about that… the mastery system will allow you to build out collections that send you on epic journeys across the world of Guild Wars 2, that, once completed, will reward you with precursor weapons to set you on your journey to building a legendary.

Nothing there on price. Just a way to acquire one through crafting.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

>Fact it’s cheaper
>It’s cheaper
>Cheaper
>Cheap

Ahahahahahahahaha

https://www.gw2bltc.com/en/item/29185-Dusk
wait for the Acquisition panel to load and click on SL for shopping list.

It is considerably cheaper to craft dusk compared to buying it from the tp

Of course, and it’s the only exception -along with Bifrost and its limited supply- thanks to Dawn. They both have the same crafting requirements, however the demand for Dusk will always be higher because it’s dark and edgy, and that’s the only thing you can back for this crafting system.

And Zap.
And Spark.

Which were the only ones being profitable to mass forge before as well.

Because all other precursors are undervalued on the tp.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Cyanchiv.2583

Cyanchiv.2583

Really? Tier 1 costs 220 gold? That’s funny, I didn’t spend anything at all to get it.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

I was already expecting this to contain stuff from a whiny idiot, like:

“I spent money on goId seIIer site and they screwed me, reset my account plz!”

Especially with a thread name like that. But it isn’t, thank goodness.
Well, technically the OP did whine abit though…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Zet.9130

Zet.9130

Buyer’s remorse? Easier to learn here than $650 monthly payments on a shiny slick boat that you can use 3 months a year and oddly enough isn’t a chick magnet. Or the ultimate RV w/ $578 monthly payments for the next 10 years (yes they do have 10 year plans) that gets 5 miles per gallon and is so loud that you can’t hear the radio when driving.

Anet’s top heavy loot model is the cause of the OP’s distress. Normal drops have 2 levels crap and crappier. As a player your top reward is the legendary weapon; including precursor and it’s upgrade to legendary. The model gives Anet a much smaller market/economy to control. Just like GW2 skills the fewer variables the easy it is to adjust. Sadly I find both the skills and loot drop model that GW2 uses while easy to control make a game that is unrewarding and aggravating to play.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

legendary crafting is for people who are happy to play the long game and build up materials as they play – it adds value to their gameplay. IT IS NOT designed for people that want to pay to win to a legendary – thats what purchasable legendaries are for. If you are daft enough to pay your way into a legendary designed for long term play then you are going to pay through the nose for it big time, doesnt take a genious to work that out.

Worse are people that are constantly looking backwards and saying omg i paid x, now its only woth y – you fundementally miss the point of rpg’s if you are doing that.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

You get achievement points for crafting the precursor.

Everyone loves achievement points!

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

There is a point for those of us who care about the journey more than the cost.

It’s like those who prefer to take the highway vs the scenic route. The scenic route is longer and typically more expensive (more gas stops, more food stops, more hotel stops, etc).

Precursor crafting is the scenic route.

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

thats a great way of putting it ^^

Theres the scenic route, and then theres the underground hyperfast rail link, different goals, both valid.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

HtFde.3856

Really? Tier 1 costs 220 gold? That’s funny, I didn’t spend anything at all to get it.

You did, you’re just not aware of it

All those materials you put in there (let’s not talk about the time invested) have a value. You could have sold those on the TP. That loss is what you spent. And – that’s the fun part – with many precursors selling the materials instead of crafting the precursor would have allowed for purchase of the precursor from the TP and a little leftover gold as well (and saved hours of time gaterhing bandit crests, geodes, etc.).

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

There might be no point in crafting them currently, but what’s current doesn’t stay the same forever. As Khisanth pointed out, there might be a time in the future (probably once ascended crafting for raids and the initial flood of precursor crafting goes down) that the scales tip back and crafting becomes the cheaper option for awhile.

Plus, options are always better in the end. Even with the net loss by the end, some people would rather do the slow and steady grind of the crafting over the long haul of just buying it.

It’s been 3 months and the price actually raises slightly for all materials because people get bored of farming and the supply is running low again.

The price will spike again after new set of legendaries are out in January or February.
So how about wait another 2 years for the price drop to happen?

Market will not fix itself if the demand is always high and supply is always low. The only way to fix it is Anet fix their crafting system or enhance the method of getting materials.

Soft wood component decreases from 4 to 2 is a step in right direction.
Now try to imply that on all of the other ones. Also drastically increase the methods of getting t2~t4 leathers.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: Attis.8367

Attis.8367

dusk is about ~1200-1300 gold on TP, so maybe it is still cheaper to craft it rather than buy from TP

I like when people complaining about how hard (costly?) Dusk is to get. Actually, its not that hard, since I see a LOT of people running around with Twilights. There’s nothing legendary about it when I do a run in a lvl 20-30 fractal and 4 of 5 people has either Sunrise or Twilight.

Anet, its time for new legendaries Swords plz….

Ayrilana.1396

Dusk was like 600-700 gold to craft the last I saw.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• If costs are the primary concern, it’s always going to be “better” to buy from the TP. It’s just easier to farm gold than to go to all the extra trouble the collection method offers.
  • If “doing it yourself” without depending on RNG is the primary concern, then the collection is always “better”, since you control how quickly you progress.

The worst way is combining the two methods: using the collection method and worrying about costs — that’s a recipe for disappointment.

The collection method is designed to appeal to people who want to do the work themselves (without disrupting the economy); the old method works fine for those solely interested in getting it done.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

(edited by Illconceived Was Na.9781)

Posted by: SaberSamSlayer.7691

SaberSamSlayer.7691

Thanks everyone for the replies i like to see what the community thinks about different bits and bobs.

I have a final verdict on Precursor crafting, after i just made Dusk.

The overall price of crafting Dusk was “1,326Gold 63Silver 21Copper” 150gold more expensive then just buying it. But i must say i got a lot for out of crafting Dusk, i was able to actually get angry at the price and happy when i final crafted it.

Unlike just buying from the trading post, i had an attachment to making the Sword, which was the real reward in the end.

Thanks everyone for the replies, please do keep them up i want to see how the community reacts to people changing there mind, and there thoughts on Pre- Crafting

Ayrilana.1396

I have a final verdict on Precursor crafting, after i just made Dusk.

The overall price of crafting Dusk was “1,326Gold 63Silver 21Copper” 150gold more expensive then just buying it. But i must say i got a lot for out of crafting Dusk, i was able to actually get angry at the price and happy when i final crafted it.

Unlike just buying from the trading post, i had an attachment to making the Sword, which was the real reward in the end.

Did you buy the crafted components directly from the TP at sell order prices (e.g. bought deldrimor ingots at nearly 10G each)?

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Moral: Always calculate costs yourself, rather than relying on potentially out-of-date/incorrect fan-websites.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

oh Wanze posted already.

It is cheaper to craft it. Just make sure you start with raw material and use buy order.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Ayrilana.1396

Yeah. You’re looking at a roughly 500G premium paid just to avoid the timegates.

Attachments:

laokoko.7403

so you can probably save like 550 gold from crafting?

that being said you probably need to deduct some of potential profit you can save from selling the timegates material. And factor in some tax.

Ayrilana.1396

that being said you probably need to deduct some of potential profit you can save from selling the timegates material. And factor in some tax.

Well that’s just the difference between the two. It’s less than that if you consider just the timegated materials themselves. Probably something I should have clarified in the post.

That said, when I ran the numbers last night, deldrimor ingots had a 3G profit margin after taxes and leather was slightly above 2G. Multiply that across the number that you need for the precursor and it adds up. I could go and calculate exactly what you get from crafting vs buying but with a gap that wide, there’s really no point and something that doesn’t matter that much to me.

The only advice that I can give people is to calculate the costs before they make the move to craft or buy a precursor. Determine if it’s worth the cost and time.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

…i was able to actually get angry at the price and happy when i final crafted it.

This is the reason to do the collection — if you care about having an attachment to the shiny. Glad it worked out for you and happy new year.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Or you can sell all the time-gated materials and earn more, and THEN buy the real thing on TP.

laokoko.7403

Or you can sell all the time-gated materials and earn more, and THEN buy the real thing on TP.

I probably should start playing again seeing how much people make just logging in a few minutes a day.

You need to factor in the tax though. Selling and rebuying add some overload.

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

I probably should start playing again seeing how much people make just logging in a few minutes a day.

You need to factor in the tax though. Selling and rebuying add some overload.

Don’t worry yourself, me and my son I’ve been playing for about a month he has leveled 3 characters to 80 and only has about 20g in his bank, after very basic kit on his 3 level 80s, the prices are astronomical when it comes to putting proper gear on them, of course I’m able to circumvent this ~somewhat~ by crafting his armor for him, well at least his first set anyway.

Server: Gate of Madness