64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

I wanted to point you to our FAQ about the new 64-bit client, currently in beta. We have a lot of feedback and questions in that thread, so please feel free to add your thoughts there!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: skillze.7689

skillze.7689

my hot fix for bad fps and stuttering was to add the b4bit client exe to nvidia control panel 3d management and selected my high performance graphics card as the default.
i now have smooth 50ish fps with all highest settings running on a laptop with two graphic cards

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Well I was seeing some increase in FPS and load times for sure.. but at the expense of having massive screen colour blooms randomly shooting out at me.. making it pretty much unplayable.
My take is that its to do with camera and lighting cos it hits from certain angles when moving and then fills with surrounding colours and particle effects.

Never had any issues except occasional crashing sometimes (had a really bad couple of weeks after the September patch but that seems to off been patched out)

System – Desktop
i7 – 3770k
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. SP1
ASUS P8Z77-VPro M/B
16GB Ripjaw DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX550Ti GPU
GW2 runs off dedicated Mushkin 256GB SSD

Getting a solid 60FPS pretty much everywhere now with VSYNC ON (drops to 40 ish in mass warfare situations, that’s a nice 15-20FPS gain from previous).
Most settings set to medium or High.. I don’t use refection’s or shadows/shaders anyways but pretty much all other options are on so no issues with FPS and no stuttering except when the screen bloom erupts. – Note I have tried turning everything right down and right up .. but same thing happens… had it a lot in Fractals and especially Verdant Brink.

Guess it’s back to downloading the 32bit client again – - 3 more hours of zzzzzz

Attachments:

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

my amd pc runs much smoother on latest beta drivers. nice! Hope u ll incorporate dx12 on amd mantle addons.

fx 6300 hd 7790

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Glass Hand.7306

Glass Hand.7306

I’m very pleased with the beta 64 bit client so far. No crashes on heavy content with every graphical option to the max where previously I was getting regular crashes on world boss events like Teq. No impact on frame rate either. Loading seems smoother also. I haven’t timed it but there seems to be less disk activity.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Name.9128

Name.9128

Well I was seeing some increase in FPS and load times for sure.. but at the expense of having massive screen colour blooms randomly shooting out at me.. making it pretty much unplayable.
My take is that its to do with camera and lighting cos it hits from certain angles when moving and then fills with surrounding colours and particle effects.

Never had any issues except occasional crashing sometimes (had a really bad couple of weeks after the September patch but that seems to off been patched out)

System – Desktop
i7 – 3770k
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. SP1
ASUS P8Z77-VPro M/B
16GB Ripjaw DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GTX550Ti GPU
GW2 runs off dedicated Mushkin 256GB SSD

Getting a solid 60FPS pretty much everywhere now with VSYNC ON (drops to 40 ish in mass warfare situations, that’s a nice 15-20FPS gain from previous).
Most settings set to medium or High.. I don’t use refection’s or shadows/shaders anyways but pretty much all other options are on so no issues with FPS and no stuttering except when the screen bloom erupts. – Note I have tried turning everything right down and right up .. but same thing happens… had it a lot in Fractals and especially Verdant Brink.

Guess it’s back to downloading the 32bit client again – - 3 more hours of zzzzzz

Just want to point out you dont have to wait 3 hours for the full download. You can use the same dat file with both clients

-Skydis

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Vienna.1579

Vienna.1579

I have a GeForce GT 730 2gb DDR3 ram graphic card. I did not notice any difference between 32 and 64 bit client. I get up to 30 + fps, I guess that’s all what my graphic card is capable of, but ok it’s a graphic card for web browsing, running windows, movies,..not for video games.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Michael Conrad.6704

Michael Conrad.6704

I just recently I have started having incessant disconnectivity problems. I’m using Windows 10 on a 64 bit (8 GB RAM) PC with an AMD A8 5600K APU with Radeon HD Graphics.
Do you think downloading the 64 Bit Client will help ?

Thanks !

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

Well if it is a DC problem it might not really help, but is it’s a game crash you should try it out for sure. Well you should try it out anyway as some others already said it seems you can use you game files (excluding the exe) with the 64 bit exe so you don’t have to wait forever to download the entire game.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

I’m not sure why, but I get more crashes out of the 64-bit client than the 32-bit one, but I also get bluescreens out of both occasionally. Now I’m actually worried about my computer every time I load up GW2… =/

Win8 64-bit
16Gb RAM
4Gb vRAM
… and plenty of other nice specs. I’m not running the game on a doorstop; right up until it randomly crashes, the game runs absolutely beautifully.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

(edited by Swift.1930)

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

So far in the past 7 or so days absolutely not one problem, but, also not one change in performance, so, for me no difference between the 32bit and the 64bit client.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Cadmius.5421

Cadmius.5421

Encouner one glitch with the 64 bit client. During the level 60 personal story, I was unable to ascend into the tree to talk to the pale tree. Using the 32 bit version cured the problem

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Cadmius.5421

Cadmius.5421

In Re 64 bit client:

I was unable to purchase gems using the 64 bit version. However, on the 32 bit version the transaction processed properly.

Houston ve haf a probolink

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Is there a special way to do this with Windows 10? I’ve suddenly started crashing on Tequatl and it’s getting a bit old. Dragon Stand is the only other place I have problems since HoT went live.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Landofden.8632

Landofden.8632

I have had nothing but crashes for days now whenever I do Tequatl. World bosses are now accompanied by freezing, disconnects, 5fps.

Before HoT, I pretty much had more than 60fps in all areas, sometimes 30 in places like Black Citadel.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Heezdedjim.8902

Heezdedjim.8902

I have tried the 64-bit client and overall it installs easily and works fine. However, I have a strange graphical issue with it that makes it unusable.

The issue is that there is a strange shimmering effect; like a visible refresh flicker or something, that affects all text in the in-game UI. It’s very distracting and visible on all of the text elements in-game.

This is with Windows 10, latest Nvidia drivers, i5-4690K / GTX 980. I play with all in-game settings and control panel settings set to max or near max quality.

The client performs very well; I didn’t have any particular issues with the 32-bit version, but the 64-bit works just fine too. The only problem is this strange shimmering makes it so I can’t play with the 64-bit one, though I would love to.

With everything exactly the same, if I exit and go back in with the 32-bit client, no text shimmer, so for now I’m sticking with that one.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Hantu.2815

Hantu.2815

Installed the 64 client. Noticed a dramatic decrease of performance. When i Auto-detected my graphics were low – medium at best, running around 40 FPS

On the 32 client i run every setting on highest on 50-60 FPS and it is smooth until epic warfare.

I did the NVidia control pannel trick, but i only run 1 graphics card anyways. it did not help the performance. The crashes on the 32 bit client are getting old really quick, and happen even when I reduce my graphics to the lowest. Any advice?

Edit to add: I do not experience any bleeding graphics or distorted artifacts like some others report

my PC:

GeForce GTX 760
AMD FX 8350 eight core
16 Gb Ram
Windows 10 Pro

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

I just wanted to let Nvidia users know, that they released a game ready update yesterday that specifically fixed some issues with the GW2 64 bit client.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

Noticed a minor problem:

Normally, when you log into the game (before hitting PLAY), you get a screen with some articles on the left side and the PLAY button on the right. It works fine with the 32-bit client, but the messages piece hangs indefinitely with the 64-bit client. The rest of the 64-bit client seems normal (and faster).

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Heishi.8530

Heishi.8530

Not specifically a GW issue, but I’ve noticed Overwolf has issues recognizing the 64bit client. Though I wonder if naming it the same would help. I don’t know how many people actually use Overwolf, but I figured it was worth noting.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Michael Conrad.6704

Michael Conrad.6704

I feel the need to ammend my comments. The game is not to be faulted in any way. My ISP came out on Thanksgiving Day to install a new modem. This absolutely fixed my problem. I now also have the 64 bit client to boot ! :-)

(edited by Michael Conrad.6704)

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Bellerophon.1624

Bellerophon.1624

Not sure if you are interested in that feedback, but on linux side, 64 bit client(on wine of course) is like a breeze. It fixes pretty much every bug I had in 32bit version. No disconnect anymore, and perf is much more stable too, almost no frame drop. I’ve been testing for a few weeks.
I am using archlinux x86_64 with latest wine-staging
CPU is core i7 2600k and GPU is Gibabyte Nvidia gtx 770 OC. Driver/kernel and all the rest are latest.
So I guess you could pretty much make Linux/Wine support official(deliver the client bundled with wine or something^^)

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

64bit client is great. I no longer get out of memory crashes in large groups

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Doktaduck.8410

Doktaduck.8410

I’ve had very limited amount of crashes since updating to 64bit. Thanks.

Quick question though, is there a way to tell if I’m still using the 64b version? I did rename it when using, now I can’t see any indicator of whether 32 or 64..

Also can someone provide a list of folders/files that would make up a “clean” install?

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Makato.3517

Makato.3517

So i decided to run the 64bit thinking it would give me a greater performance boost. Everything started off great in fact in SPVP I felt like i had a huge boost in reaction ( seeing how i didn’t have any troubles before) but then I started to lag… And lag hard. I asked chat and the matches players if they were experiencing it too but of course with my luck they were not….

I also started seeing issue with Chrome with lead me to think it was a memory leak issue. Luckily I had a backup of the game already and just over wrote the files ( the dat file that is). Really hope these minor issues get resolved soon so I can feel comfortable about playing on this client again.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: DJRiful.3749

DJRiful.3749

So i decided to run the 64bit thinking it would give me a greater performance boost. Everything started off great in fact in SPVP I felt like i had a huge boost in reaction ( seeing how i didn’t have any troubles before) but then I started to lag… And lag hard. I asked chat and the matches players if they were experiencing it too but of course with my luck they were not….

I also started seeing issue with Chrome with lead me to think it was a memory leak issue. Luckily I had a backup of the game already and just over wrote the files ( the dat file that is). Really hope these minor issues get resolved soon so I can feel comfortable about playing on this client again.

You don’t need to overwrite anything, both 32bit and 64bit uses the same asset game files. Just the client launcher is different.

Attachments:

Stormïe ~ Tarnished Coast | My little monster <3 – http://valid.canardpc.com/6nbdeq

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Old Roy.5924

Old Roy.5924

I just started playing GW2 for the first time, and I have only downloaded the 64-bit client. I run it under WINE in Linux (Mint 17.3) and occasionally in Windows 10. Maybe because I am not in a dungeon or raid (or whatever they’re called here) but I do not notice any lag or hiccups in either OS. Windows is a few FPS better, but both are above 30fps, and usually around 50+ or so.

I was quite surprised and pleased at how organized the game is. Using one big datafile/archive is really sweet! My next goal is to get my kids into the game and run it off a shared server (NAS) like we do with 95% of our steam games (FPS shooters tend to need local installs). I suppose that is a whole different thread: sharing the shard, as it were… clients would be local (I assume there’s a location over-ride like “GW2-64.exe -location <here>” or something).

Usually playing GW2-64 under WINE on Linux Mint 17.3 – and lovin’ it.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: AdelaisAer.4109

AdelaisAer.4109

Stupid question, but should I redownload the 64-bit client now that it’s no longer in Beta? Or was it automatically updated to reflect that? Also, should I bother with the 32-bit client or is it no longer needed (since I have a 64-bit system)? Thanks in advance.

One who prefers their own Elysium, a collected being of brilliant ambience and nurturing.

64-Bit Client Beta FAQ

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Hey all,

Now that the 64-bit client it out of beta, we have a new FAQ up now. Find it here.

If you have questions, please post in the new thread on the subject.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)