64 bit install directory?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rich.3461

Rich.3461

Was just coming back to GW2 after not playing for a while.. no matter what I can’t seem to be allowed to put it on my 2nd SSD drive instead of my primary. (anyone know how to force the game to do this?)

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Was just coming back to GW2 after not playing for a while.. no matter what I can’t seem to be allowed to put it on my 2nd SSD drive instead of my primary. (anyone know how to force the game to do this?)

move the Exe to the folder you want then run the exe?

Rich.3461

Still installs it to my primary drive, since I wanted on my 2ndary SSD. Not really having good luck figuring this out, sorta odd the game doesn’t ask or consider its install location.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

that’s weird, mine always installs where the EXE is.

Rich.3461

Yeah, Got my C drive SSD and my D drive SSD.. ideally wanted it on my D drive but always installs to where my OS is, which isn’t ideal.

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

I am using a HD as main to S. O. and SSD as second to play. Just move the full installation folder to the new place and run the .exe as usual. You should have zero issues.

LOL censored!

(edited by Leon de Damasco.8105)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Rename Gw2Setup.exe to Gw2.exe and it’ll simply install to its current location. If you’ve already began installing it to Program Files, simply move the folder wherever you want.

Rich.3461

I am using a HD as main to S. O. and SSD as second to play. Just move the full installation folder to the new place and run the .exe as usual. You should have zero issues.

LOL censored!

Was just worrying about possible registry issues if I installed on C and moved the folder over… figured there would have to be an “official” way.. what a weird oversight :P

Posted by: Leon de Damasco.8105

Leon de Damasco.8105

Yeap, I understand.
Well, you can always move back.
GL with it.

Rich.3461

Pretty sad and frustrating this is even an issue but it’s driving me crazy. If I install the 32 bit client (it asks for an install location) will I be able to install the 64 bit version/exe over it without issue?

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

Pretty sad and frustrating this is even an issue but it’s driving me crazy. If I install the 32 bit client (it asks for an install location) will I be able to install the 64 bit version/exe over it without issue?

yes just rename the fire to Gw2.exe !! and you be fine . not only that you can move the file to any sdd or hd you wish to after you renamed the file

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Just move the gw2 folder. It is not tied to the registry.

Rich.3461

Fair enough, any idea if it’s Program Files, or x86? Trying to mimic what it “would” be.

Posted by: Rebel.5827

Rebel.5827

My problem is almost identical. Only difference, both my C (system) and D (game) drives are SSD. Other than that, our problem is identical.

I re-installed Win 10-64 bit and now GW2 won’t give me an install location option. I want it to drive D for the higher speed.

I submitted a workaround request to tech support, but will be greatly surprised if my request is answered.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

This is a windows problem, not a GW2 issue. If you happened to install to c:\programs or c:\programs (x86), then it’s going to be slightly harder, because those folders are restricted (for a variety of reasons).

Generally speaking, I install games to c:\games so I don’t have to worry about that.

Fortunately, for GW2, it’s trivial: copy the entire folder and paste it anywhere you alike (you don’t even have to “cut” if windows honks at you). The game will run from anywhere in windows.

Be sure to update any shortcuts to “point” to the preferred location. Or in e.g. Rebel’s case, perhaps have one shortcut for the non-system drive (D) and one for the original location (overkill, but some people like that).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Rebel.5827

This is a windows problem, not a GW2 issue. If you happened to install to c:\programs or c:\programs (x86), then it’s going to be slightly harder, because those folders are restricted (for a variety of reasons).

Generally speaking, I install games to c:\games so I don’t have to worry about that.

Fortunately, for GW2, it’s trivial: copy the entire folder and paste it anywhere you alike (you don’t even have to “cut” if windows honks at you). The game will run from anywhere in windows.

Be sure to update any shortcuts to “point” to the preferred location. Or in e.g. Rebel’s case, perhaps have one shortcut for the non-system drive (D) and one for the original location (overkill, but some people like that).

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried it but the default GW2 folder is in “Program Files” so after copying the GW2 folder to D drive (which worked with changing the path for the shortcut). I was unable to delete the original 32G file. New problem, I don’t have enough real-estate to have a 32G dummy file on my C drive.

So it looks like GW2 is toast. I’ll re-install win10, and get rid of GW2, and look back on the fun times I had in GW2, with no prospect of enjoying any new times there.

Of course, maybe in a year or so, I’ll try again, and maybe the GW2 devs will have fixed this problem and not created brand new ones that make the game unplayable.

(edited by Rebel.5827)

Rebel.5827

BTW: Don’t loose your installation, because the new installation process does not allow for any variation in the install path. In other words: you won’t be able to install the game to: “c:\games”

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

It appears the 64 bit ‘installer’ is not an installer, but is the 64 bit version’s bootstrapper which automatically downloads the game into it’s current directory. : / Would be nice for instructions. It also probably won’t make shortcuts so you have to do that manually too.

The game does not depend on any other installations, so if you get rid of the original folder, the game will still work from any new folder just fine.

Also, this game shouldn’t be able to update itself (without admin elevation) if it is installed in one of the protected program files folder, so it probably won’t work well in that folder and is best to place it in an unrestricted folder.

If you need to remove something from the program files folder, you need to login using a administrator account, if you still can’t do that, then your windows folder permissions may be messed up.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

BTW: Don’t loose your installation, because the new installation process does not allow for any variation in the install path. In other words: you won’t be able to install the game to: “c:\games”

That’s not true. Something else must be going on that it’s not working for you.

In your shoes, I would contact support and get some tech support from ANet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I’ll try to explain it that this game has no installation. The installer is just a bootstrap. in reality you have two files Gw2.exe and Gw2-64.exe, which are the 32-bit and 64-bit versions respectively, and when run these download all the neccessary files to two folders, bin and bin64, and a huge (30GB+) data file, Gw2.dat, as well as a few files to Application Data for machine-specific configuration.

Of course, that probably made no sense to anyone, so I’ll put it simply, to not have any problems download the installer, rename it to Gw2-64.exe and put it in “My Documents\GW2” or something (as this folder is always 100% accessible on any computer regardless of security restrictions), put your Gw2.dat file with it and then run it to download the missing files and launch the game.

There is no registry usage, its completely portable. All it does for “installation” is put some files in Application Data as I said earlier.

If you can’t understand this then get someone who does to do it for you.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

(edited by Hannelore.8153)

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

You can move GW2 folder anywhere and just launch it from there. It’s a portable MMO!
I tested it, moved folder from Program Files on C: to and it still worked even without need to re-enter password. MAGIC.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Fair enough, any idea if it’s Program Files, or x86? Trying to mimic what it “would” be.

Doesn’t matter. Mine’s in neither (i don’t keep games in Program Files, i prefer them having a separate directory).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November