70g to make basic exotic insignias.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kuu.3954

Kuu.3954

The gossamer patches are a killer, even for basic insignias. I feel for any of you guys that use medium armor.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

The gossamer patches are a killer, even for basic insignias. I feel for any of you guys that use medium armor.

Last time i checked, gossamer insignias cost the same for any armor weight.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Plautze.6290

Plautze.6290

I suppose Kuu was referring to the price of hardened leather, which medium armor uses the most.

And it is indeed a killer. Ori, ancient wood and gossamer are okay to buy, but hardened leather is just ridiculous. Further more, requiring 5 patches to make one insignia seems to be a very cheap trick to artificially increase the “exoticness” of exotic armor.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Mindblower Torxx

Posted by: Kuu.3954

Kuu.3954

Yes, I just meant that medium users will be having to use leathers to make the insignias + the armor which is more expensive.

Anyone starting the game and wanting to craft is gonna be a little daunted. Lol.

Wanze.8410

Yes, I just meant that medium users will be having to use leathers to make the insignias + the armor which is more expensive.

Anyone starting the game and wanting to craft is gonna be a little daunted. Lol.

well, if its about the price of leather, you should say so in the topic and not pretend to be talking about insignias.

And i dont know why you would craft basic exotic gear (with vanilla stats), as those exotic stats can be acquired quite cheap compared to crafting by other methods.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

^ Pedantry is strong in this one today.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

well, if its about the price of leather, you should say so in the topic and not pretend to be talking about insignias.

And i dont know why you would craft basic exotic gear (with vanilla stats), as those exotic stats can be acquired quite cheap compared to crafting by other methods.

It’s not healthy for the discussion to be deliberately obtuse. -_-

Insignias are a part of the armor-crafting process to get to 500, making Ascended gear available. Even for crafting Ascended gear, the Ascended insignia requires the Exotic one. Even getting a loot box from a fractal, conversion through the Forge requires an exotic insignia.

Kuu’s statement happens to drive home the point that the leather component is entirely too costly and affects the entire playerbase.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Insignias are a part of the armor-crafting process to get to 500, making Ascended gear available. Even for crafting Ascended gear, the Ascended insignia requires the Exotic one. Even getting a loot box from a fractal, conversion through the Forge requires an exotic insignia.

Kuu’s statement happens to drive home the point that the leather component is entirely too costly and affects the entire playerbase.

Too costly for whom?

Server: Devona’s Rest

Wanze.8410

You can level your crafting just fine with using salvaged (cheap) exotic insignias only.

And OP was talking about basic exotic insignias and not stat swapping ascended gear.

And for those that think t6 leather is too costly for ascended armor, they can use the grandmaster mark system, which doesnt require an exotic insignia (or t6 leather for anything else).

Rauderi.8706

You can level your crafting just fine with using salvaged (cheap) exotic insignias only.

Roundabout method that won’t occur to newer players.
A fine tip for anyone who comes across it, though.

And OP was talking about basic exotic insignias and not stat swapping ascended gear.

Given that Berserker is still the most desired stat set…
I really shouldn’t have to spell this out.

And for those that think t6 leather is too costly for ascended armor, they can use the grandmaster mark system, which doesn’t require an exotic insignia (or t6 leather for anything else).

Grandmaster still requires crafting 500. So let’s hope, even with the insignia tip, the (newer) player isn’t building up to crafting Leatherworking grandmaster marks. Then again, it’s not like anyone really wants to play Engi or Thief anyway.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Yea, the price for leather is beyond ridiculous, yet Anet refuses to address the root of the problem.

INB4 someone says “Leather is fine. You should be buying all your gear instead of crafting it anyway”

Well if that’s the case, why have such an in depth crafting system in the game? Honestly, if we weren’t meant to craft our own gear, we would have an extremely simplistic crafting system. Yet we don’t, so clearly we were meant to be able to craft our gear as a viable alternative to buying it. Yet the asinine prices of leather prevent crafting from being a viable alternative.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Well if that’s the case, why have such an in depth crafting system in the game?

Crafting serves one purpose in the game. It drives the economy.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Yea, the price for leather is beyond ridiculous, yet Anet refuses to address the root of the problem.

INB4 someone says “Leather is fine. You should be buying all your gear instead of crafting it anyway”

We don’t like the high price of leather. That’s very different from it being “bad” or “ridiculous.”

Further, what’s wrong with buying gossamer patches on the TP? The price is 2.4 gold, compared to crafting which is over 10g.

There’s nothing wrong with crafting, but there’s nothing special about it either.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The ascended insignia requires the same amount of hard leather to make as the exotic one. Compared to the total cost of ascended armor, it represents a relatively small portion. Aka, if you can’t afford the insignia, you can’t afford ascended armor to begin with. Even if I were to send you all the hard leather you needed, if you think 90g is a lot, it would still be a bad idea.

And of course, for crafting itself you can use soldier/shaman/etc standalone insignias.
http://gw2crafts.net/leatherworking_400.html

Essentially, all problems are artificially created. The total cost of 0-500 is 30 gold more than what I spent on it, and gold was harder to come by back then.

We don’t like the high price of leather. That’s very different from it being “bad” or “ridiculous.”

Further, what’s wrong with buying gossamer patches on the TP? The price is 2.4 gold, compared to crafting which is over 10g.

There’s nothing wrong with crafting, but there’s nothing special about it either.

Those patches get crafted in 5’s per craft.. You can’t do anything with a single one.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

Yes the price of medium armor is kitten compared to the other two, has been for a while. Probably won’t be fixed. Because of it, leatherworking is the only crafting I have that isn’t maxed.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

if its exotics check if ur stats can get aquired trough WvW, reaso i only use stats from WvW vendor.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

You don’t buy leather off the tp. You salvage for it.

Posted by: SirJack.4760

SirJack.4760

If you’re gearing a character with exotic gear, look for named exotic gear first, like Devona’s, Shiro’s, etc. I think it’s Nika for medium berzerker gear, which is 2-3g per piece, compared to the craftable Berzerker’s Emblazoned gear, which is 15-20g per piece.

If you’re going for ascended gear, yeah, it’s a sizable increase to the previous prices.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Too costly for whom?

Almost everyone, barring the top few percenters.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Too costly for whom?

Almost everyone, barring the top few percenters.

Every couple of months I sell 100-150g worth of leather I get from playing wvw to players with no patience. I have 5 characters in full ascended and have max all crafting, some even duplicates. I’m really not sure why leather is so expensive but it’s kind of nice for me to make some easy gold.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Players make 60G per month by simply doing their dailies. They can make another 53G by converting laurels to T6 to sell along with their mystic coins. That’s before all of the other active ways to earn gold in this game.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

I don’t really think this is about players not having money for it. It’s about the discrepancy between light/heavy and medium. Why should it cost more for a medium armored character to get geared? Aren’t we all supposed to be on a level playing field.

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t really think this is about players not having money for it. It’s about the discrepancy between light/heavy and medium. Why should it cost more for a medium armored character to get geared? Aren’t we all supposed to be on a level playing field.

Have you calculated the actual cost differences? Not saying they’re the same but I’ve yet to see anyone in any of these threads to do a cost comparison.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I remember when Clothies were feeling this pain. That said, the discrepancy is even higher now.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I remember when Clothies were feeling this pain. That said, the discrepancy is even higher now.

Except that they changed the crafting recepies inbetween to adjust them cost wise. It made all crafted ascended armor more expensive. The difference between cloth ascended before and the other armors was easy 30-40% and there was no alternative method to get ascended armor back then. So from an absolute standpoint, yes the imbalance is higher. Not so sure about that when factoring in for inflation, gold per hour gain and everything else.

All I see here is another of the famous:
“Something I WANT AND CARE ABOUT is to expensive. Arenanet has to change it now now now!”

Here’s a hint: they’ll adddress the issue eventually and the economy will rebalance.

Here’s another hint: there will be a new item/aspect of the game/etc. which will become “to expensive” and people will whine.

Until then, be smart, read up, save gold and stop wanting everything yesterday or pay up for having no patience. You really do not want to play the “this is unfair” card with some of the crafting things in this game. There was way bigger imbalances in the past, yet we all survived.

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

Every couple of months I sell 100-150g worth of leather I get from playing wvw to players with no patience. I have 5 characters in full ascended and have max all crafting, some even duplicates. I’m really not sure why leather is so expensive but it’s kind of nice for me to make some easy gold.

2 month of playing => leather worth 150g => 2.5 insignias. 2 months of playing = 2.5 insignias. Yeah. Just think about it. Its ridiculous.

Here’s a hint: they’ll adddress the issue eventually and the economy will rebalance.

That is the problem: we don’t know if they will fix it. They already tryed, that failed, and Anet stays silent since then. What I personally whant at that point is someone from Anet to show up and just say something on the topic. They are working to fix this kitten? Great. They don’t care about leather economy cause they don’t have spare resorses? Okay. They are happy with current state of the market? Just some communication, please.

(edited by Ider.1276)

Ayrilana.1396

2 month of playing => leather worth 150g => 2.5 insignias. 2 months of playing = 2.5 insignias. Yeah. Just think about it. Its ridiculous.

That is the problem: we don’t know if they will fix it. They already tryed, that failed, and Anet stays silent since then. What I personally whant at that point is someone from Anet to show up and just say something on the topic. They are working to fix this kitten? Great. They don’t care about leather economy cause they don’t have spare resorses? Okay. They are happy with current state of the market? Just some communication, please.

Insignias don’t cost 50-75 gold. Please research the costs.

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

Have you calculated the actual cost differences? Not saying they’re the same but I’ve yet to see anyone in any of these threads to do a cost comparison.

A certain type of item makes it very easy to compile this data if you look at certain sites.
http://www.gw2spidy.com/search/of%20knight%27s/2?rarity_filter=5&min_level=&max_level=
http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/2796
http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/1956
http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/1099

Did you notice the difference in leather consumption between medium and heavy armor is 78 vs 60 pieces of Cured Hardened Leather Squares?
I guess our armor are mostly made of patches…

Ascended price differences are nastier, Even though they don’t use t6 leather materials.

Ayrilana.1396

A certain type of item makes it very easy to compile this data if you look at certain sites.
http://www.gw2spidy.com/search/of%20knight%27s/2?rarity_filter=5&min_level=&max_level=

Did you notice the difference in leather consumption between medium and heavy armor is 78 vs 60 pieces of Cured Hardened Leather Squares?

Ascended price differences are nastier, Even though they don’t use t6 leather materials.

Easy and yet you’re one of the first to highlight the differences.

So heavy is at 87G, light is at 93G, and medium is at 106G. Not as large of a gap as people have made it out to be. Especially considering that medium armor has been the cheapest of the three for the majority of the time that the game as been live. The costs haven’t ever been balanced.

ArchonWing.9480

Referring to ascended insignias.

Though I don’t think it’s ridiculous by any means for ascended armor. 150g over 2 months is 2.5g a day, which is really casual. That amounts to doing a set of dailies and chopping 10 trees each day. That’s barely playing the game. Not to mention the leather being sold is in excess, and we haven’t even counted the value of anything else earned.

And of course, hardened leather isn’t even a big deal in these cases. Thick leather is a bigger deal, and that, as nobody would like to admit, isn’t that hard to get. So that’s almost another issue.

Of course, WvW players such as Justine and myself are going to be extra cynical when it comes to these complaints since WvW doesn’t make nearly the same amount of gold as PvE.

But hey, for the sake of comedy
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Grips&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8156&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
86g17s7c

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Guise&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8180&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
115g83s28c

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Leggings&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8072&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
105g4s21c

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Shoulderguard&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8096&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
86g16s7c

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Striders&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8132&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
99g94s39c

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/index.php?title=Special:RunQuery/Base_ingredients_query&Base_ingredients%5Bitem%5D=Zojja%27s%20Visage&Base_ingredients%5Bid%5D=8204&Base_ingredients%5Bquantity%5D=1&wpRunQuery=true
81g81s82c

~575 gold total…. And of course, the gloves/boots/shoulders aren’t as important as the other three.

Compared against 2014
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2d6wwf/approx_how_much_does_a_full_set_of_ascended_armor/

Compared against 2015… https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2sab80/how_much_does_it_cost_to_make_ascended_armor/

/met with a huge shrug

As of the April 19, 2016 update, a reward of 2 Gold coin was added to Daily Completionist.

Login rewards were introduced with the December 16th, 2014 update.

In other words, Ascended armor hasn’t really gotten more expensive than it has since 2014 yet there are more ways to earn gold. This isn’t even accounting for when the prices spiked during HoT release, when it was heading towards 1000 gold.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Nova.2890

Nova.2890

Welcome to your endgame. Crafted Exotic and Ascended is the best gear you can get in game. All the stats are the same regardless of where you get your exotic from, you can craft ascended gear, raids drop nothing that is better than what you can craft. You are surprised that exotics cost that much? Have to have an investment somewhere if you aren’t going to make raids drop anything better.

I always kind of chuckled when i heard people call this game fashion wars. Played for a couple months, got some characters to max level, decked them out with gear and then realized…it really is fashion wars, there is nothing to strive for, no sense of reward from end game content (raids) besides how something looks.

So don’t hold your breath that they will do anything to help reduce the cost of exotic gear, it is the only thing to work for.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Welcome to your endgame. Crafted Exotic and Ascended is the best gear you can get in game. All the stats are the same regardless of where you get your exotic from, you can craft ascended gear, raids drop nothing that is better than what you can craft. You are surprised that exotics cost that much? Have to have an investment somewhere if you aren’t going to make raids drop anything better.

I always kind of chuckled when i heard people call this game fashion wars. Played for a couple months, got some characters to max level, decked them out with gear and then realized…it really is fashion wars, there is nothing to strive for, no sense of reward from end game content (raids) besides how something looks.

So don’t hold your breath that they will do anything to help reduce the cost of exotic gear, it is the only thing to work for.

Saying Exotics and Ascended are the best gear you can get in game makes no sense. Ascended and Legendaries are the best you can get in the game. Ascended and Legendaries have the same stats. Exotics have worse stats than them therefore they’re not the best in game.

It makes as much sense to say Rare, Exotics and Ascended are the best gear you can get in game.

The OPs point is that crafting exotics is too expensive. Lets take a Medium Berserker coat as an example.

• I can put the highest buy offer on the TP for 2g 25s right now for a Nika’s Coat (or buy one outright for 3g 34s).
  • I can buy one in WvW for 1g and 200 badges of honour.
  • I can buy one for 42,000 Karma from Keeper Jonez Deadrun.
  • I can get one with 330 dungeon tokens (or as the final reward in the WvW or PvP reward tracks).
  • I can craft it for 17g 65s.

That’s the problem. It’s so much more expensive to craft than it is to get it from any other source. It used to be about as expensive to craft as it was to get it from the TP but since they messed with leather refinement and insignia recipes it’s now over 7 times more expensive.

In case there’s any doubt about where the expense comes from:

• A single Bolt of Gossamer (2 scraps) costs 90 copper.
  • A single Hardened Leather Square (3 sections) costs 98 silver 39 copper.

You need 10 Hardened Leather Squares per insignia and 5 Gossamer bolts. That’s 30 sections and 10 scraps. That’s why leather is so expensive and gossamer is dirt cheap because you need so much more leather than cloth and without the leather the cloth is pretty much useless.

You’re right though, I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them to do anything, they purposefully created the situation and seem quite happy with it. I’d make sure to stock up on Gossamer before the next expansion though before the “fix” that “problem” too.

Edit: whoops, copper, not silver

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

Anet, take heed.

Attachments:

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

Rauderi.8706

Query from the wiki puts a Berserker’s Intricate Gossamer Insignia at a little under 14 gold. It’s a bit excessive for a single component.

Though, where it gets more uneven is in what those insignia are used to craft. Looking at Exotic gear:
Berserker heavy chest: …still under 14 gold. The bulk of the cost is heavily in the insignia.
Berserker medium chest: 18.5 gold, because of the additional hardened leather.

Consider the parallel inequity in Ascended gear, when silk was out of control and leather was in the tank. That armor type imbalance was the reason why players recommended a change to patches/insignia in the first place. Instead of doing it right for a healthy market, ANet overcorrected and gave us another mess.

Many alts; handle it!

Wanze.8410

Query from the wiki puts a Berserker’s Intricate Gossamer Insignia at a little under 14 gold. It’s a bit excessive for a single component.

Though, where it gets more uneven is in what those insignia are used to craft. Looking at Exotic gear:
Berserker heavy chest: …still under 14 gold. The bulk of the cost is heavily in the insignia.

Consider the parallel inequity in Ascended gear, when silk was out of control and leather was in the tank. That armor type imbalance was the reason why players recommended a change to patches/insignia in the first place. Instead of doing it right for a healthy market, ANet overcorrected and gave us another mess.

And you can buy Nika´s Exotic Medium Berserker Armor Set for 15-20g for the whole set so I dont know, why people would craft one.

Wanze.8410

Easy and yet you’re one of the first to highlight the differences.

So heavy is at 87G, light is at 93G, and medium is at 106G. Not as large of a gap as people have made it out to be. Especially considering that medium armor has been the cheapest of the three for the majority of the time that the game as been live. The costs haven’t ever been balanced.

The new grandmaster mark system is even more balanced. 20 Grandmaster Armorsmith Marks cost you 377g for a full set, 20 Grandmaster LEatherworker Marks 407, so not even 10% price difference.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Why all the discussion. The point is that anet takes after a ‘fix’ which didn’t work another quintillion aeons to fix it. That’s what I think is the most annoying thing. Why the heck does it take always kittening ages to fix such simple things.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Rauderi.8706

And you can buy Nika´s Exotic Medium Berserker Armor Set for 15-20g for the whole set so I dont know, why people would craft one.

Great. Now buy the Viper set for the non-power meta.
Stop deliberately missing the broader point for the sake of apologetics and protecting your investments.

This is an issue that will not be fixed with hidden work-arounds or ignoring the problem.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: polarbear.2497

polarbear.2497

It only costs 13g to make a Berserker’s Intricate Gossamer Insignia. Not 70g.

Wanze.8410

Great. Now buy the Viper set for the non-power meta.
Stop deliberately missing the broader point for the sake of apologetics and protecting your investments.

This is an issue that will not be fixed with hidden work-arounds or ignoring the problem.

The viper set isnt from a basic insignia to which the OP was referring, its HoT content. And for those, the material costs (except maybe minstrel and trailblazer, where leather isnt the issue) are ok in my opinion, as they were not meant for new players.

Wanze.8410

Why all the discussion. The point is that anet takes after a ‘fix’ which didn’t work another quintillion aeons to fix it. That’s what I think is the most annoying thing. Why the heck does it take always kittening ages to fix such simple things.

Didnt they introduce a direct way to farm leather?
Didnt they introduce a way to farm all tiers of leather in level 80 maps?

If players still prefer to buy their leather on the tp instead of farming it themselves, its their decision.

The fact that the leather price isnt falling tells me that the mayority of the player base is willing to pay those prices.

Ayrilana.1396

Anet did add a way to farm leather except some people also want it to be on par with other gold farming methods otherwise they feel that it’s just a “waste” of their time.

Rauderi.8706

Anet did add a way to farm leather except some people also want it to be on par with other gold† farming methods otherwise they feel that it’s just a “waste” of their time.

†and silver and mithril and orichalcum and elder wood and ancient wood

Many alts; handle it!

Ayrilana.1396

Anet did add a way to farm leather except some people also want it to be on par with other gold† farming methods otherwise they feel that it’s just a “waste” of their time.

†and silver and mithril and orichalcum and elder wood and ancient wood

They’ve stated that they’re not going to add nodes though out in the open world. All the complaints have pretty much been centered around that it’s for efficient to farm gold and buy the leather off the TP than to farm it. Coincidentally, that’s actually true for pretty much all of the mats on the TP too. It may actually be debatable as to whether it’s on par with Orichalcum and Ancient wood nodes.

A way was provided for players to directly get leather and to collectively have more control over the prices. Based on how many that I have been getting, and how difficult it was in the past, I consider it fairly successful.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Didnt they introduce a direct way to farm leather?
Didnt they introduce a way to farm all tiers of leather in level 80 maps?

If players still prefer to buy their leather on the tp instead of farming it themselves, its their decision.

The fact that the leather price isnt falling tells me that the mayority of the player base is willing to pay those prices.

Or, alternately, that the farm isn’t as large a source of T6 leather as you think and so supply is still nowhere near enough to meet the huge demand that was created when they messed with the leather recipes.

At the moment for Hardened Leather Sections supply is 17,040 demand is 166,818. For Gossamer Scraps supply is 5,500,000 demand is 400,847 (yep, millions). Ancient Wood Logs, supply is 180,000 demand is 88,000. Orichalcum Ore supply 665,000 demand 189,000. The ratios for the refined versions of those materials are similar.

Every other T6 mat supply exceeds demand, the prices are decent for wood and ore but, without hardened leather, gossamer is practically useless.

The output of that farm isn’t enough to even make a dent in that imbalance.

The prices won’t drop until supply outstrips demand. That isn’t happening while you need so much more leather than cloth or metal even when making cloth or metal armour.

• A Berserker’s Draconic Coat needs 10 orichalcum ore, 10 gossamer scraps and 30 leather sections.
  • A Berserker’s Exalted Coat needs 18 gossamer scraps and 33 leather sections.
  • A Berserker’s Emblazoned Coat needs 10 gossamer scraps and 45 leather sections.

Personally, I know that if it’s costing me 13g to make an insignia I’m going to hold out until I make Ascended armour. I’ll get exotics in other ways.

Rauderi.8706

They’ve stated that they’re not going to add nodes though out in the open world.

And so mistakes will continue to be made with RNG loot becoming the entirety of a major supply.

[/quote]
All the complaints have pretty much been centered around that it’s for efficient to farm gold and buy the leather off the TP than to farm it. Coincidentally, that’s actually true for pretty much all of the mats on the TP too. It may actually be debatable as to whether it’s on par with Orichalcum and Ancient wood nodes.
[/quote]

Except that it’s not true of the other materials. I know plenty of spots to find Ori and Ancient. Meanwhile, Gossamer is not used that often, and leather is overused.

As for it being “efficient” to farm gold and buy leather… where is the supply coming from? It’s almost non-existent in comparison to demand, and prices are still rising. With such a garbage market, players are going to hoard instead of sell, because it’s not meeting their anticipated/actual demand.

A way was provided for players to directly get leather and to collectively have more control over the prices. Based on how many that I have been getting, and how difficult it was in the past, I consider it fairly successful.

Except we haven’t had control. The impact has been negligible. I get more useful material playing the game regularly and not visiting the stability-denying, excessive-damage-dealing “group farm,” for which I can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen Lake Doric organize for it.

Many alts; handle it!

Ayrilana.1396

The output of the farm isn’t enough because people are not doing it as they’d rather do other farms that give them 30G+/hr and just buy them off the TP. You also have those that do the farm to get leather themselves so that leather won’t make it to the TP.

Using buy orders by itself can be misleading as you’re not accounting for when they were placed and if those who placed them are still actively playing. I could out 1M buy orders for leather at 1 silver each but would you consider that realistic demand? How about if it had done so a year or so ago when prices were lower but then have already quit the game?

The best way to see demand, imo, is to analyze how much is being consumed along with how many new buy orders are being created with the intention of getting full. Unfortunately, only Anet has access to this data.

Ayrilana.1396

They’ve stated that they’re not going to add nodes though out in the open world.

And so mistakes will continue to be made with RNG loot becoming the entirety of a major supply.

All the complaints have pretty much been centered around that it’s for efficient to farm gold and buy the leather off the TP than to farm it. Coincidentally, that’s actually true for pretty much all of the mats on the TP too. It may actually be debatable as to whether it’s on par with Orichalcum and Ancient wood nodes.

Except that it’s not true of the other materials. I know plenty of spots to find Ori and Ancient. Meanwhile, Gossamer is not used that often, and leather is overused.

As for it being “efficient” to farm gold and buy leather… where is the supply coming from? It’s almost non-existent in comparison to demand, and prices are still rising. With such a garbage market, players are going to hoard instead of sell, because it’s not meeting their anticipated/actual demand.

Except we haven’t had control. The impact has been negligible. I get more useful material playing the game regularly and not visiting the stability-denying, excessive-damage-dealing “group farm,” for which I can’t even remember the last time I’ve seen Lake Doric organize for it.

It’s RNG among the tiers of leather. Much better than what we have elsewhere. The salvageable items are also one of the primary drops from the mobs too.

I know spots to get Ori and Ancient logs too as I used to farm them years ago. Perhaps Anet should add more uses for gossamer?

Supply is coming from drops like it always has been. We don’t know how much is being generated on a daily basis so you can’t really state there would be an issue with supply if people bought it. Supply has shown any signs of having a downward trend.

Players do have control. Do the farm. Get for leather. List it on the TP. The more that do this, the lower prices will go. It’s only been negligible because, like I’ve said several times, the farm doesn’t yield a high gold/hour ratio like other farms so players prefer to do those and just buy the leather.

You’re telling me that you get more leather consistently from playing other areas of the game than you do from the leather farm?

Wanze.8410

We have control, we just opt not to excercise it because other farms are more lucrative.

And as long as there are more profitable farms, this will not change because we obviously can afford such high prices with our current income.

So if the mayority of the players are willing to pay those prices, are they really too high or is it, like in most of these cases, just a vocal minority complaining?

ArchonWing.9480

But is the “leather farm” really a good source of hard leather? If we’re talking exotic insignias, that’s really all that matters.