80 levels! really?

80 levels! really?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cina Reas.6938

Cina Reas.6938

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t a level in an MMORPG conventionally marked by an improvement in character stats. If that’s correct them GW2 has less than a third of what was included in the original game!

Reading the wiki I can only see 14 points during experience gain, at which the character improves attributes, plus 10 intermediate points in which the character could improve via traits.

I guess I should be happy that I played to 80 when it was possible.

Grind Wars 2; the game that ate my brain.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Belidos.3704

Belidos.3704

That used to be the case years ago when MMO’s were new and only had a limited number of levels. Modern MMO’s tend to have more levels with the “upgrades” spread out, most of them are every 10 levels or so. It’s usually done this way to make the levelling process longer and keep the player playing for longer.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: simplesimon.2084

simplesimon.2084

You also have attribute growth

Level Increase Total
1 24
4 +30 54
10 +35 89
16 +35 124
22 +40 164
28 +55 219
34 +60 279
40 +70 349
46 +73 422
52 +80 502
58 +80 582
64 +82 664
70 +82 746
76 +85 831
80 +95 926

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

My idea when they announced the new way that statpoints are gained was already
that they really should now just divide max level by 4 .. so new max-level is again 20.

20 would fit perfectly with the way stats and traits are now gained, so that you get
at least something every level .. and we wouldn’t have the problem that you get
much stronger after specific level-ups and then weaker and weaker for the next 4 levels.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t a level in an MMORPG conventionally marked by an improvement in character stats. If that’s correct them GW2 has less than a third of what was included in the original game!

Reading the wiki I can only see 14 points during experience gain, at which the character improves attributes, plus 10 intermediate points in which the character could improve via traits.

It’s the same. They just lumped the stats together differently. Same with skill points.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

We used to get stats, skillpoints and traits on most levels.

Once in a while, you’d have someone come on the forum and say that they don’t feel that the leveling experience is serving its purpose due to the level scaling we have in place.

With the change to leveling, ANet didn’t change the amount of stats or skill points you get, they just lumped them together once every few levels. The result is that when you do get them, it usually comes with a significant change (your base stats are significantly increased and you get a bunch of skill points), instead of trickling to you slowly.

The same was true for trait points: When we had 70 points to allocate, anything that wasn’t a multiple of 5 was only a tiny increase in your base stats. Another downside of the 70 point system was that new players were particularly susceptible to spending trait points in ways that wouldn’t unlock a new minor or major trait (such as spending 3 points instead of 5 into a line).

From what I can see, the stance that ANet is taking with the change to leveling has the following points:

• You should spend time familiarizing yourself with new things whenever you get them.
  • Getting skill points should open new options for you.
  • Getting trait points should open new options for you.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

that they really should now just divide max level by 4 .. so new max-level is again 20.

Then each level would take 4x longer. One of the reasons why there is 80 levels is because they wanted them to occur more quickly for that extra sense of progression.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Then each level would take 4x longer. One of the reasons why there is 80 levels is because they wanted them to occur more quickly for that extra sense of progression.

Yepp .. levels would take longer .. however in the end 4-5 levels are now just 1 level
since you don’t get traits and stats .. and even only get weaker since mobs still get
better with every single level (i think)

So all that those fake level now do is that you see that the number of your level
increases .. but nothing else. Oh .. yeah .. get some crappy rewards.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I see, it is now impossible to reach level 80. Guess we have to tell this to the wiki-admins, seems like a very vital information. What level is now possible to reach?

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you haven’t actually played a character up since the changes, your are making uninformed options of the new system. Period.

I get if you have a bunch of 80s and don’t want to play thru the game again, but they HAVE provided MULTIPLE methods to level without actually playing (Crafting, EotM, Tomes, Scrolls, etc.).

If you want to know WHY they changed the leveling system, it’s to get new players into the game (and yes, more casual players). Pretty simple economic decision (but one I understand veteran Alcoholics may not like).

However, simply complaining about the new system without trying it is simply not fair.

I’ve tested the system in a few ways (not yet tried a full on new character to keep yet) and while I think the Trait acquisition system needs work, the rest of the changes are actually more interesting than getting the unknown and exact same spec buffs each level.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

80 levels! really?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Pretty simple economic decision (but one I understand veteran Alcoholics may not like).

Ah yes, the veteran alcoholics, they don’t like anything that isn’t at least 80 proof, quite honestly. Bunch of debbie-downers if you ask me. :P

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….