99% of the whipsers I get are negative

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

I get whipser rage after beating people in PvP

I get whipser rage after beating people in WvW

I get whisper gold selling ads

SOLUTION: Only my friends can whisper me: the option.

At least stop people from whispering me after they’ve already blocked me.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I get whisper rage after beating people in PvP

I get whisper rage after beating people in WvW

Consider those a compliment because they are, no matter how they are expressed. The appropriate way to say thank you to them is, LOL! Repeat as often as needed.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m sorry you have had a lot of negative experiences. I disagree, however, with your suggestion.

• Most whispers for most people are positive.
  • If only friends can whisper, then it becomes hard to meet people.
  • It also becomes difficult for people to share ideas privately. I regularly whisper new or returning players, when they start asking more esoteric or sometimes controversial questions, so that we don’t bore anyone.

I do agree that one shouldn’t be able to whisper or mail someone that you have blocked. But I don’t consider that to be a priority, since after the first negative whisper, I can block them just fine.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Genesis.4671

Genesis.4671

That’s the PvP community for you, tends to be like that in most if not all MMOs.

I’ve played since beta and have only ever had 1 person whisper harass me and very very rarely get gold spam.

Anytime you put a competitive mode in a game you will end up with sore losers and when the game has a large amount of children playing… well that number increases.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Quit picking on people and let them kill you sometimes?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: ImTasty.2163

ImTasty.2163

It does happen sometimes. I know one time, in a different mmo, I had this quest that was for 2 people but I was able to solo it. About halfway through I noticed a lot of guild spam In chat. I make an observation about that and the whispers I got in response you would swear I just punched their mothers in the face. This one guy whispered me 47 times. Simply put no matter what game you will have people like that. It’s nothing new. I do think being able to set chat options like allow g only friends to whisper is nice. Until then though just gotta add a few more to the block list.

Posted by: Daywolf.2630

Daywolf.2630

Or whisper tax. Not on the friend list? Can set non-friends a 0 to 10g tax per whisper, basically removing the money from the game though not into your bank.
For Science!

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I don’t think I’ve ever had someone whisper me in pvp

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I just tell them, “it’s ok. I still love you. Do you need a hug?”

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Or how about this: Newsflash, there are bad and good people in this world. Sometimes their true faces are revealed, you cant do anything about it, it’s up to you how you deal with it. If theyre being kittenes you can get back at em with a quick reply and then block them before they can reply, which will only make them feel like theyve lost.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

Just remember that thanks to the power of the internet, any anonymous coward, spoilt brat, bored teen and any other trolling parasites that exist in the world can act tough behind a keyboard and monitor because in real life they wouldn’t stand a chance against their betters.

Just block, laugh and hold your head up high.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: John.8507

John.8507

Only one negative whisper in PVP and that was someone on my own team! so i dont think its that negative so far.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

You have to accept a party invite from an opposing team member in WvW for them to talk to you. Decline party invite, job done! Any other unwanted whispers, that is what the block function is for.

(Interesting you bring up that you know that they have blocked you. Makes me wonder if there something more going on here than at first glance)

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I think this would be a pretty neat feature actually. It would definitely throw a spoke in the wheels of both PvP ragers and gold sellers. At very least we need a fix for that annoying whisper/block combo.

There’s been a few kittenbags in PvP who had a go at me, but I also get a few of positive whispers from people who dig my characters’ looks and want to know what skins I’m using.

Posted by: Sungtaro.6493

Sungtaro.6493

You have to accept a party invite from an opposing team member in WvW for them to talk to you. Decline party invite, job done! Any other unwanted whispers, that is what the block function is for.

(Interesting you bring up that you know that they have blocked you. Makes me wonder if there something more going on here than at first glance)

That is incorrect. You can block someone. Get their in game name. Unblock that person. Type a whisper with that person’s in game name. It happens all the time.

Nothing can be done, well, you can block them after the fact.

Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

at least you don’t get trolls. someone in my guild start some rumor about me being in ESL or soloing fractal50 with multiple account.

And I think people keep saying something on vent. For some reason I have a hard time knowing people are talking to me unless they make it clear. And Since I’m not sure, I’m a bit lazy to respond.

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

respond with this face :^)
always works for me

Posted by: Aniltiger.9186

Aniltiger.9186

Sometimes I loose a battle against another player. And most of the times i’ll just accept my defeat but these people who just killed me have to brag about it and do whatever they can to do so. So they whisper me, invite to groups etc and start saying all kinds of crap. that’s what annoys me the most.

How low esteem must a player have if he/she feel the need to brag about it to the player that got defeated…

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Players who whisper fall in 3 categories:

• Liars.
  • Cowards.
  • People in your list of friends who are not in the same guild.

Remember, kids: It’s rude to whisper in company.

Having an option to prevent whispers from anyone but the 3rd category would basically get rid of the other two.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Players who whisper fall in 3 categories:

• Liars.
  • Cowards.
  • People in your list of friends who are not in the same guild.

Remember, kids: It’s rude to whisper in company.

Having an option to prevent whispers from anyone but the 3rd category would basically get rid of the other two.

Hyperbole abounds…

If you think wanting to send someone a message in an ONLINE game makes you a coward or a liar; I’m sorry but that’s just plain wrong.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You ever try randomly whispering someone something positive and getting a positive whisper in return? :O

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]

If you think wanting to send someone a message in an ONLINE game makes you a coward or a liar; I’m sorry but that’s just plain wrong.

If you have something to say, you should say it out loud so the whole class can hear it.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Miku.6297

[…]

If you have something to say, you should say it out loud so the whole class can hear it.

We aren’t in a class. It’s an online game… Very different setting. The point of whispers, tells, or private messages is so you can communicate with others privately (or over long distances exe: different maps.). Not every conversation is for everyone, and not everyone wants to read EVERY conversation.

And do you honestly think it would be better to call people out in map chat EVERY time you disagree with them, or have a question about something, or just want to talk with someone that was on your team? Why wouldn’t you just /whisper and talk vs bringing the whole map into it?

(edited by Miku.6297)

MithranArkanere.8957

Because in whisper you can lie and nobody would hear and correct you.

That’s why I tell newbies to ask directly their question in map chat rather than asking if they can ask a question, then talk in whispers to whoever responds.

If whoever responds lies, in map chat they can be corrected. In whispers they can troll the newbie with all sorts of nonsense.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Miku.6297

So because a few bad players may lie, that means all chat should be conducted in public channels? I’m sorry but I simply don’t agree. Whispering is a good method of communication that shouldn’t be removed, and it’s uses have far more positive reaching ends then negative. I guarantee not everyone out there who uses whisper/pms to chat is looking to lie or trick someone; in-fact most people aren’t.

You even state that whispers can be used properly: “then talk in whispers to whoever responds”.

You have a seriously negative outlook on the player base, which from my experience isn’t as bad as you are painting it out to be. Also try to keep a level head and open mind when judging others responses in /map, having the wrong information but trying to help =/= to lying to troll.

(edited by Miku.6297)

MithranArkanere.8957

So? You think everyone in your town would try to steal from you? You think nobody would try to steal if you left the door open? And just because only a few people would try to steal your house you would not lock the door?

Of course not. Measures like that are taken against those who would do wrong. No matter how few they are.

The best way to prevent people doing wrong things is making them impossible. When that’s not possible, make things as hard as possible for them.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
No exceptions!

Posted by: Captain Unusual.9163

Captain Unusual.9163

I’ve whispered someone in pvp once, and been whispered by other people 3 times. Each time was just a compliment or question about part of our wardrobe.

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

I would like to see some options as for who can whisper me and who can’t. Our names are visible easily even from the forums. I once received a series of whispers from a very unhappy member of a class I felt needed some fixing and who was banned from the forums anyway. Of course I blocked him, but it does feel like some degree of privacy would be a good thing. perhaps an options to not receive whispers while in WvW with a from friends/ not from friends modifier. Even as far as an option to block whispers from people not on your friends list.

Miku.6297

Locking the door on my private home and removing the ability to have private conversations with others in a MMO are extremely different.

As you used some life examples… You’re right I don’t leave my door unlocked. But someone entering my home and stealing things is no where near the equivelent of someone sending a whisper. I agree with preventative laws and socially accepted norms when dealing with criminal activity or the safety of a person. However this isn’t about anything like this, it’s about the ability to send a private message in a game.

Why would we want to impede the ability to privately ask someone a question? Why would we want to remove the ability for them to respond privately. I’m afraid the “risk” of trolling is outweighed by the positive gains of private conversation.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

In real life we don’t pull out a megaphone, speakers and amp, etc in order to be sure that everyone in a mile radius can hear us answer a request for directions or the like. Why would we expect to do the equivalent in a game?

Posted by: JoshuaRAWR.4653

JoshuaRAWR.4653

Unblocks
sends abuse
Reblocks
Unblocks
Sends abuse
reblocks

Warrior 80 | Guardian 80 | Ranger 80 | Engineer 80 |
Thief 80 | Elementalist 80 | Mesmer 80 | Necromancer 80 | Revenant TBA

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Unblocks
sends abuse
Reblocks
Unblocks
Sends abuse
reblocks

So just block them and be done with it. And screenshot the convo and report it.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

I think it would be useful if members had some control over who can Whisper them. Players on my friend list, Guild members sure Whisper away, someone on the same map, maybe if I’m feeling very social, but that should be my decision. Right now we have 2 options turn off Whisper altogether or leave it open for anyone, a little bit of control sounds like a good idea to me.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I had a guy whisper and call me a “Try Hard” in PvP the other day.

His team was losing badly, and in the final moments of the match he seemed to think that I would just let him cap far because we were already going to win.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: mcwurth.2081

mcwurth.2081

sorry to say but if you get 99% negativity in your whisperbox, maybe this saysmore about you then about others.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

This is an issue in game. The problem is that whispers in two of the game modes make no sense and the third it does.

In PvE whispers can be reasonable and make sense. People talking back and fourth and potentially sharing information.

In PvP whispers from the other team make no sense, they are either using it as a distraction tool, in bad form, or are too much of a coward to voice it in map chat.

In WvW whispers from the otherside makes zero sense since it has less than a 1 in 10 chance to be a positive encounter. Likewise the fact that an enemy side should even have a choice to joining your group is not a good idea. These options should be removed.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

TheGrimm.5624

sorry to say but if you get 99% negativity in your whisperbox, maybe this saysmore about you then about others.

Or maybe they PvP or WvW. Lots of trolls out there.

TheGrimm.5624

I think it would be useful if members had some control over who can Whisper them. Players on my friend list, Guild members sure Whisper away, someone on the same map, maybe if I’m feeling very social, but that should be my decision. Right now we have 2 options turn off Whisper altogether or leave it open for anyone, a little bit of control sounds like a good idea to me.

I think you are on mark. Maybe a toggle on who can whisper you, friends/guilds/party members. Being forced to just turn off whispers in general is not a very good fix for the issue.

Miku.6297

This is an issue in game. The problem is that whispers in two of the game modes make no sense and the third it does.

In PvE whispers can be reasonable and make sense. People talking back and fourth and potentially sharing information.

100% agree whispers in pve are very useful, and usually trollish-ness is not as prevalent.

In PvP whispers from the other team make no sense, they are either using it as a distraction tool, in bad form, or are too much of a coward to voice it in map chat.

I don’t really see how a whisper in PVP is more distracting or in bad form then /map. Just because someone choose to use /whisper doesn’t mean they are a coward. They are taking their conversation or comments directly to the person, that’s not really showing cowardice. The whole coward thing can be turned around about map chat… Exe: They use /map chat so they can try to hide behind the masses and insight a call out war; rather then just keeping a PRIVATE discrepancy private. If you have a complaint about something someone is doing take it up with them, why do you feel the need to /map and try to get others to join in when the discussion isn’t going your way?

— Trash talk/distracting/etc are poor sportsman ship no matter what delivery method, If someone is offensive the best thing to do is just block them, if they are extremely rude, report as well.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

wow, that’s strange, i never get whispers in pvp after beating anybody, even not after beating them with necro-troll downed state.

TheGrimm.5624

100% agree whispers in pve are very useful, and usually trollish-ness is not as prevalent.

I don’t really see how a whisper in PVP is more distracting or in bad form then /map. Just because someone choose to use /whisper doesn’t mean they are a coward. They are taking their conversation or comments directly to the person, that’s not really showing cowardice. The whole coward thing can be turned around about map chat… Exe: They use /map chat so they can try to hide behind the masses and insight a call out war; rather then just keeping a PRIVATE discrepancy private. If you have a complaint about something someone is doing take it up with them, why do you feel the need to /map and try to get others to join in when the discussion isn’t going your way?

— Trash talk/distracting/etc are poor sportsman ship no matter what delivery method, If someone is offensive the best thing to do is just block them, if they are extremely rude, report as well.

I use coward here since the said trolls who are in bad form are not whispering to be polite to the rest of the match but don’t feel strongly enough to own up to their actions when made public and therefore whisper instead of using /map. Now I agree that has a positive side to not air it to the rest of the match but don’t mistake cowardice from courtesy please. I am also not denying that some people might use it in legit ways to disagree with one another, but I feel this is in the minority and still rarely end productively.

As I said it would seem a simple toggle change in options could go a long way and save ANet game admin time when reviewing people being reported. Then if people choose to leave the toggle off they are in the same situation as now. Sadly you have to expect trolls, but you don’t have to arm them with tools.

TheGrimm.5624

wow, that’s strange, i never get whispers in pvp after beating anybody, even not after beating them with necro-troll downed state.

Then consider yourself lucky and keep doing whatever you are doing. Good hunting!

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

Only the last solution is necessary.
Other ones don’t make sense.

Miku.6297

I use coward here since the said trolls who are in bad form are not whispering to be polite to the rest of the match but don’t feel strongly enough to own up to their actions when made public and therefore whisper instead of using /map. Now I agree that has a positive side to not air it to the rest of the match but don’t mistake cowardice from courtesy please. I am also not denying that some people might use it in legit ways to disagree with one another, but I feel this is in the minority and still rarely end productively.

As I said it would seem a simple toggle change in options could go a long way and save ANet game admin time when reviewing people being reported. Then if people choose to leave the toggle off they are in the same situation as now. Sadly you have to expect trolls, but you don’t have to arm them with tools.

Odds are the troll doesn’t really care if he has to “own up” to his actions, when/if made public. I simply feel the term “coward” is not ideal, it’s making a brash assumption, and/or accusation about the intent of another person; based solely on your personal assumption. Whispering something to someone, no matter what the message doesn’t guarantee that the whisper is trying to “hide” his message from the public. When you have a disagreement or if you insult someone in real life do you get a mega phone or PA system and broadcast it or do you say it to just them? ( I will admit I’m guilty of doing both, don’t suggest the PA thing though it can land you in hot water)

There are also a few reasons other reasons that whispering is better then map, things like landing on the same map doesn’t always happen, other times your queue pops and you leave, etc.

The idea of a toggle system seems like it blocks more positive interaction posability. Currently there is already a system in place to deal with negative, insulting, or unwelcome whispers: Block them. Players are already armed with tools to deal with unwelcome messaging.

TheGrimm.5624

When you have a disagreement or if you insult someone in real life do you get a mega phone or PA system and broadcast it or do you say it to just them? ( I will admit I’m guilty of doing both, don’t suggest the PA thing though it can land you in hot water)

I will take your advice on the PA thing. Known people in defamation cases, no fun there and a major time sync.

I have whispered compliments in the past to people so know where you are coming from. And in this case I am advocating it in the situation where it is the other team. Best case scenario of people on opposing teams whispering in WvW is setting up duels, which they can do outside of game or in game outside of WvW. PvP, pretty much the same, not sure why people would need to whisper the other team while in a match.

But I will try and stop derailing the OP’s thread. Good hunting to you!

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I just laugh and move on. If it gets to be real bad i just block em. No point giving anymore credence to someone acting like a child in a virtual world.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Kreweless.2196

Kreweless.2196

Someone blocks me and they can still send me hate.

Maybe put a cooldown (24hrs) on being able to whisper people you’ve recently blocked?

Miku.6297

Someone blocks me and they can still send me hate.

Maybe put a cooldown (24hrs) on being able to whisper people you’ve recently blocked?

If they block you, why not just block them? Pretty much solves your problem instantly without having to add weird CD thing. (with no confirmation for the block option, a forced CD might be irritating for missclicks)

Posted by: Gerrand.3085

Gerrand.3085

I had a hilarious incident with an old guild mate of mine. He quit the game when his brother did and eventually I parted directions with that guild’s leader.

Forward 8 months (and four guilds), the guildmate whispers me to ask how he can get hold of that guild leader. Even though he’s whispering me, I’m told he is off line and i can’t respond. The guy keeps messaging me and starts getting pretty irate. Eventually I think to mail him that i cant respond to him – which gets through. It turned out he had invisibled himself somehow (or blocked me?).

So yea. Only negative whisper I’ve gotten. I sent a negative whisper once. I was part of a pug-with-exact-class-joins-specified- speed party, a redundant warrior joined the group and some fool kicked my warrior instead of the new one. I was not complimentary.

Mostly I just get people asking me where pieces of my attire come from. Over and over again…

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I just laugh and move on. If it gets to be real bad i just block em. No point giving anymore credence to someone acting like a child in a virtual world.

This. If you’ve reduced someone to brat status by your mere existence, there’s no reason to even listen to them. “k”, block, move on.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.