A Balanced Economy

A Balanced Economy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nusku.3941

Nusku.3941

Q:

I feel like the economy at its current state is balanced, I feel that this is because if you are farming, then you make a reasonable profit compared to months ago, where thick leather sections were like 14 copper a piece. Now farmers can get a good profit, and likewise, the wealthier you are, the better you are able to play the market, as opposed to if you’re dirt poor, you can build your way up at a reasonable pace without becoming an elitist into newer market players. So to Anets economy group, I salute your efforts in helping develop a balanced market.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Frank.7452

Frank.7452

I made over 1,000 gold this Wintersday selling the 20+ stacks of Sigils of Mischief and Runes of Snowfall I had stashed in a guild bank for over a year, alongside several piles of leather, Mystic Coins, and a lot of other investments that have not yet peaked (or they may never). I bought the Sigils and Runes for 2 copper each, they’re now worth 50 silver because of a patch. The Mystic Coins were purchased for 75 copper when I got them – they were at 34 silver when I sold 2000 of them, because this patch also created demand for them.

This kind of long term speculation with large quantities of bottomed out commodities isn’t possible without multiple personal guild banks to hold 200 stacks of goods each. However, obtaining a fully upgraded personal guild bank is no longer feasible.

Previously, you could achieve this for about 70 gold in influence purchases, or by soloing Guild Bounty Practices for 3000 influence each.

I argue the economy isn’t balanced, because there now exist two classes of player – one that can store massive quantities of a commodity without even thinking about it – and another that will never be able to do this.

I can tell you all now that Silver is bottomed out around 10-14c, and it will shoot up to at least 10x that price when something comes in a patch that requires it, but only a small percentage of people can take advantage of this by banking 100g worth of it, and you can’t join that club anymore.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

I made over 1,000 gold this Wintersday selling the 20+ stacks of Sigils of Mischief and Runes of Snowfall I had stashed in a guild bank for over a year, alongside several piles of leather, Mystic Coins, and a lot of other investments that have not yet peaked (or they may never). I bought the Sigils and Runes for 2 copper each, they’re now worth 50 silver because of a patch. The Mystic Coins were purchased for 75 copper when I got them – they were at 34 silver when I sold 2000 of them, because this patch also created demand for them.

This kind of long term speculation with large quantities of bottomed out commodities isn’t possible without multiple personal guild banks to hold 200 stacks of goods each. However, obtaining a fully upgraded personal guild bank is no longer feasible.

Previously, you could achieve this for about 70 gold in influence purchases, or by soloing Guild Bounty Practices for 3000 influence each.

Only question is, what does your longterm speculation have to do with the balance of the economy?

There have been severe price drops on quite a few items. Great, you lucked out, more power to you. That has nothing to do with balance though.

I argue the economy isn’t balanced, because there now exist two classes of player – one that can store massive quantities of a commodity without even thinking about it – and another that will never be able to do this.

I can tell you all now that Silver is bottomed out around 10-14c, and it will shoot up to at least 10x that price when something comes in a patch that requires it, but only a small percentage of people can take advantage of this by banking 100g worth of it, and you can’t join that club anymore.

Except that players can now farm those 100g by just playing the game instead of having to run dungeons or farm Silverwastes since most materials give a good gold return. Let’s not even get started on how much money Halloween or Wintersday allows players to make (that is IF you decide to save and not go for super expensive skins, it’s always a trade off). Your argument does not make sense.

On topic, partly yes, the actual value of gold has increased (see gem exchange or multiple other inidicators). The way of gaining gold has changed compared to pre HoT. Farming and selling materials is now more lucrative and will remain this way until demand subsides or higher supply is introduced (unlikely over the shortterm). Downside is, if you want your stuff now (if it’s stuff based on materials) you have to compete with guilds and other individuals driving prices up.

Now is a great time to increase personal gold supply by selling high demand items on the trading post. The falling gold-gem ratio also favors players who want to get items off the gem exchange without having to spend real $$$ (100 gems were down to 15.50,- gold compared to peack prices of 26,- gold per 100 gems pre HoT).

There is definately a healthier supply and demand currently on the market. I’d say the major downside is the increase in cost for crafting ascended armor if wanting to nitpick (temporary until prices drop). Luckily ascended armor is still a waste of gold and running content which provides said armor as drops has been made easier.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Frank.7452

Frank.7452

There have been severe price drops on quite a few items. Great, you lucked out, more power to you. That has nothing to do with balance though.

My point is it wasn’t luck. The ability to store 20-40 stacks of any item that bottoms out, and just wait, means you don’t need luck – just time.

I also have a several stacks of Tequatl Runes I bought at the lowest TP price. No reason to believe those will be worth anything any time soon, sort of like Celerity Sigils – but if they do go up in value, I’m not necessarily lucky in my choices. I’m fortunate to have the ability to store them, as I was with Air Sigils when they were modified by a patch.

A lot of changes with HoT were for the worse, and one of them was removing the ability to obtain personal guild banks, while allowing a class of people to retain them.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

My point is it wasn’t luck. The ability to store 20-40 stacks of any item that bottoms out, and just wait, means you don’t need luck – just time.

I also have a several stacks of Tequatl Runes I bought at the lowest TP price. No reason to believe those will be worth anything any time soon, sort of like Celerity Sigils – but if they do go up in value, I’m not necessarily lucky in my choices. I’m fortunate to have the ability to store them, as I was with Air Sigils when they were modified by a patch.

A lot of changes with HoT were for the worse, and one of them was removing the ability to obtain personal guild banks, while allowing a class of people to retain them.

There are thousands of items that are bottomed out. You have no reason to believe any of them will gain value, so yes, it was luck unless you have inside knowledge of what is going to happen. You stocked up on a lot of valueless items and won the lottery. Is this a valid method? Sure, you are essentially using a high quantity of unused storage space on characters/banks slots for minimal investments that might pay big and as long as storage space has no value (which in this case it doesn’t or only minimal value) this is fine.

Still has nothing to do with balance. On the contrary, you are essentially hoping for arenanet to balance values accross commodities so your investments increase.

Storing 20-40 stacks is not as hard as people make it out to be. Every character slot can easily store 80 stacks of anything and as we know, new character slots are now cheaper compared to before thanks to the drop in gem-gold price favoring cheaper gems.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

You can still buy stuff and relist it immediately in high quantities.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

You can still buy stuff and relist it immediately in high quantities.

How do you choose your listing prices?

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

A Balanced Economy

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Percent of lottery winners who had spent their entire winnings within 5 years 44 %

I don’t know the numbers. You can search google. They can never save money because they choose to spend it all. You can alternately search for NBA player that go broke in a few years.

Richest 62 people as wealthy as half of world’s population, says Oxfam