A Challenge to GW2 Players: Start a Conversation!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

Sometimes I log into the game with a specific purpose. Maybe it’s collect one or two hearts in between reading assignments or while on a break from essay writing. Usually in this focused state of mind I don’t pay much attention to map chat and my guild is empty save for a real life friend who doesn’t log in very often.

But sometimes I want to see who it is I’m in a zone with, and so I’ll say something to spark up a conversation. Sometimes it fails miserably, other times it evolves into a huge discussion.

When you’re playing today, go into the game and just say one thing on /map to get something started. Ask a question, make a comment, discuss something you read on the wiki. There are a lot of interesting people out there, and it’s well worth your time.

I make a point of any time I see someone ask a question or make a comment, saying something in response. Often that’s the end of it, but it can be fun to engage with people, even if it’s just in a single line of red text.

Edit: Changed the title from “for” to “to” so it didn’t look like I was criticizing the player base for not being conversational (I wasn’t).

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

I do this all the time. Mostly regarding the topic about the atrocity that is the Guild Wars 2 PvE “End game.”

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Posted by: Pants.8315

Pants.8315

Challenge accepted.

My faith in the forum was almost restored until somebody found the need to troll this…

Your opinion on the end-game isn’t really relevant to the OP. It’s also subjective, and un-constructive, this would be counter-productive in starting a conversation. Perhaps an argument, but not a conversation.

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

I didn’t have a lot of time this morning, I logged in for ten minutes and tried twice, but Ashford Fields seems to be not very populated. We did manage to get together a few people for the group event ghost boss, but nobody talked.

I’ll try again this afternoon while my turkey is roasting.

Posted by: sainguine.2870

sainguine.2870

Why? I get in game to get a few things done and blow off steam.the conversation would just be “Hi” followed by a “Hello” and then on to business as usual.the action is fast paced and lends no time to standing around slinging idle chatter.besides ,why talk when i wont see you again anyways-ill go up to the pub and chat with some honeys if i get lonely.Also i have exhausted that aspect of the game ,the chat,since i have been doing it since UO and DAoC-its just boring now

Posted by: Aramanth.1546

Aramanth.1546

“Does the warrior trait talking about +10% crit affect greatswords as well, or is it normal swords?”
“Go kill yourself nub.”
“^”
“lol yeh u suk at this.”

That’s why I don’t bother with map chat.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

Never really have to do this on Tarnished Coast. Seems no matter what map I zone into, there is always a conversation going on.

And sometimes if it does die down, a simple “It’s too quiet…” will get a bunch of replies and spark up a conversation again.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Kargion.6352

Kargion.6352

I see conversations going on but they are mostly why this game is or is not better than WoW. Why can’t people just talk about the game at hand lol

Also you go “has the dragon spawned yet” and no one says anything. Either your ignoring them, or you don’t know what they mean and should ask so you can go kill a dragon lol