A Compromise for Others Who Don't Want Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arnox.5128

Arnox.5128

So some have jokingly suggested that perhaps mounts could be forgone entirely that we should have characters themselves making huge jumps and traveling fast and etc.

But then I began to think about that. Why the hell not actually? Why can’t we allow an option to have people enter into a special “Travel Mode” in place of a mount if you so desired. You wouldn’t have a mount but (assuming you had the required mount masteries unlocked) you would have the exact same speed and abilities as someone who is riding a mount. The only difference between the Travel Mode and actual mounts would just be cosmetic.

I personally think it would be pretty awesome to see a few of people’s characters booking it across the desert at high speeds, teleporting, and doing sweet jumps. The more I think about this, the more I really want this now. And one of the cool things is that ANet could implement this super easily since all the animation work for jumps/teleports/etc. are already there of course.

This would give the option to keep things centered on people’s actual characters and allow for even more choice in how people want to play the game at minimal cost and maintenance to ANet.

ArenaNet, please give us more skills!

(edited by Arnox.5128)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think that part of the reason they went with mounts is because their size gives them an excuse to take them away from us when need be. Entering a small cave or building? No mounts in that story instance. But if the abilities were in your character, then they can’t do that without it seeming … well, arbitrary and stupid.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: xikira.3264

xikira.3264

This I could totally accept because it is lore and immersion friendly. We use a similar system already in dry top.

“My potions are too strong for you, traveler.”
Potion Sella

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

What worries me is that this xpac does not require HoT ergo it may not feature gliding.
I never cared much for mounts save maybe moas for asuras.

But in no way can you compare that to HoT glider awesomeness. I hope gliding is a thing in Path of Fire. And by that i mean updrafts and gliding puzzles, not just “you can use them” as in core Tyria maps.

Arnox.5128

I think that part of the reason they went with mounts is because their size gives them an excuse to take them away from us when need be. Entering a small cave or building? No mounts in that story instance. But if the abilities were in your character, then they can’t do that without it seeming … well, arbitrary and stupid.

To be honest, no mounts in story instances seem pretty arbitrary as well. I mean, I don’t personally mind, but if we’re gonna talk about that then yeah.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

All ideas are welcome but seriously and obviously too late, the game is already coming out September 22nd. The only option for the anti mount crowd is to take a hike, I mean walk, until you need to cross a valley or reach a high plateau, then pray for a mount to pass by and give you a lift.

xikira.3264

All ideas are welcome but seriously and obviously too late, the game is already coming out September 22nd. The only option for the anti mount crowd is to take a hike, I mean walk, until you need to cross a valley or reach a high plateau, then pray for a mount to pass by and give you a lift.

I actually dont mind walking and I would choose walking over a mount. The problem is they are forcing you to use the mount to access many areas of the mount and story. So we do not get the option to “Take a hike” other wise I would gladly walk even if it took me 30 min or so out of the way.

Potion Sella

Hybarf Tics.2048

What worries me is that this xpac does not require HoT ergo it may not feature gliding.
I never cared much for mounts save maybe moas for asuras.

But in no way can you compare that to HoT glider awesomeness. I hope gliding is a thing in Path of Fire. And by that i mean updrafts and gliding puzzles, not just “you can use them” as in core Tyria maps.

You can glide in POF as long as you have HOT.
You can also mount in Tyria as long as you have GW 2.

Arnox.5128

That’s the beauty of this though. As I said in the OP, all ANet needs to do to make a Travel Mode is just to copypasta a bunch of running/jumping/teleporting animations and then slap the mounts code on it and call it a day.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I find this mount aversion perplexing. A mount, at least in this case, is like a tool. If I didn’t like keys, I wouldn’t avoid locked doors. I’d pick up the key, open the lock put the key away and not think about it.

This just feels like taking a stand to just to take a stand to me.

I don’t like mounts because immersion. How is a mount less immersive than walking everywhere? There are animals in the game. Races domesticate animals (including devourers used by charr in the game), seems to me that nothing could be more natural than riding a mount…for immersion.

In truth walking everywhere doesn’t make as much sense as riding a mount.

Hybarf Tics.2048

I actually don’t mind walking and I would choose walking over a mount. The problem is they are forcing you to use the mount to access many areas of the mount and story. So we do not get the option to “Take a hike” other wise I would gladly walk even if it took me 30 min or so out of the way.

Are you telling me you’re whining simply because you have to mount and dismount for a few seconds on each map. You do realize that 95% of the time you can be on foot and be swallowed whole by a 3 headed Hydra.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That’s the beauty of this though. As I said in the OP, all ANet needs to do to make a Travel Mode is just to copypasta a bunch of running/jumping/teleporting animations and then slap the mounts code on it and call it a day.

So, you essentially just want to not be able to see the mount?

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

no.

glad anet made the right choice and introduce mounts

Posted by: keramatzmode.1906

keramatzmode.1906

We live in 2017 where mounts trigger people in a videogame, to an extend you want a censorship because somehow you have personal problems with people using domesticated wildlife as a mode of transportation.

Seriously, you are making fun of yourself OP.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

That sounds so simple and elegant. I can’t see any reason why anet wouldn’t implement this by september.
/s

Hybarf Tics.2048

Why does a mount cross the road? Why does a mount jump over a valley?
Why does a mount jump very high to reach a high plateau?

a) To help the character.
b) To help us have more fun.
c) Because the obstacle is there.
d) To trigger some of us into a whining fit.
e) To hover over quick sand.
f) All of the above.

(edited by Hybarf Tics.2048)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

To be honest, no mounts in story instances seem pretty arbitrary as well. I mean, I don’t personally mind, but if we’re gonna talk about that then yeah.

I can see no mounts in the Core Personal Story, Living Story 2 and 3, and the HoT chapters. Those missions weren’t designed for them. Just like you can’t glide in the instances that were developed before HoT (including home instances). I wouldn’t be surprised if you needed mounts to some extent inside of the PoF chapters or Living Story chapters released afterward.

xikira.3264

I actually don’t mind walking and I would choose walking over a mount. The problem is they are forcing you to use the mount to access many areas of the mount and story. So we do not get the option to “Take a hike” other wise I would gladly walk even if it took me 30 min or so out of the way.

Are you telling me you’re whining simply because you have to mount and dismount for a few seconds on each map. You do realize that 95% of the time you can be on foot and be swallowed whole by a 3 headed Hydra.

I don’t think mounts belong in the game they ruin the immersion. Guild wars was one of the few games that didn’t sell out to mounts. They said in the past they would not use mounts and yet here we are.

Potion Sella

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I don’t think mounts belong in the game they ruin the immersion. Guild wars was one of the few games that didn’t sell out to mounts. They said in the past they would not use mounts and yet here we are.

Can you post a link to the source where they said they would never add mounts?

And it’s not immersion breaking. We’ve already used mounts before in the lore.

The tanks from the original personal story if you chose that mission are mounts. Technically the final part of Victory or Death is on top of a huge, flying mount.

Taimi uses Scruffy as a mount.

Countless NPC’s in Lion’s Arch use the flying brooms.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Wait until the next expansion reveals that Tyria is actually sitting on the back of a giant turtle flying through space. You’ve been riding a mount all along!!!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Jesus-hover over that ocean!

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

You keep mentioning immersion, but I’m not sure you’re taking the time to make sense of what immersion means.

Mounts appearing out of nowhere or disappearing into the ether would break immersion, yeah, if that wasn’t explained metaphysically. I could actually see the Jackal showing up in a coalescing cloud of dust. I could see the Springer dropping out of the sky after being called. I haven’t seen the visuals, so I couldn’t tell, but I’m keeping an open mind about it.

As for what OP is suggesting, I feel like that could be immersion-breaking. Granting the PC the powers of the mount without the mount itself puts a huge burden of disbelief (or “magic” or “rule of cool”) into justifying why the character can suddenly Superman-leap tall cliffs in a single bound or teleport across chasms. Or.. well.. fly without a glider. Like, seriously, if I can glide over deserts without hitting the sand, why can’t I just pop my glider and fly eternally? It stops making sense.

So my hope is that mounts will be executed in a way that feels more natural than “whistle, mount noise, suddenly-riding,” and I’ll hope they’re not rideable in capital cities, but it’s not going to bust my immersion if they’re done well.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Leo G.4501

You keep mentioning immersion, but I’m not sure you’re taking the time to make sense of what immersion means.

Mounts appearing out of nowhere or disappearing into the ether would break immersion, yeah, if that wasn’t explained metaphysically. I could actually see the Jackal showing up in a coalescing cloud of dust. I could see the Springer dropping out of the sky after being called. I haven’t seen the visuals, so I couldn’t tell, but I’m keeping an open mind about it.

As for what OP is suggesting, I feel like that could be immersion-breaking. Granting the PC the powers of the mount without the mount itself puts a huge burden of disbelief (or “magic” or “rule of cool”) into justifying why the character can suddenly Superman-leap tall cliffs in a single bound or teleport across chasms. Or.. well.. fly without a glider. Like, seriously, if I can glide over deserts without hitting the sand, why can’t I just pop my glider and fly eternally? It stops making sense.

So my hope is that mounts will be executed in a way that feels more natural than “whistle, mount noise, suddenly-riding,” and I’ll hope they’re not rideable in capital cities, but it’s not going to bust my immersion if they’re done well.

I’ll also be frank. I want a mechanic where you cross a line, you are launched off your mount and you’re prone for like 10 seconds before you can get back up. Said lines should be placed at the entrances of buildings/establishments meant for social/economical interaction.

If said mechanic were established, people without mounts would appreciate not having mounts in certain locations and people with mounts will eventually learn not to use mounts in specific locations. Preserve this feature for crowded cities and around specific locations where players mass around a central location (vendors, vendor hubs, crafting areas, banks, BL npcs, maps portals, etc).

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I find this mount aversion perplexing. A mount, at least in this case, is like a tool. If I didn’t like keys, I wouldn’t avoid locked doors. I’d pick up the key, open the lock put the key away and not think about it.

I don’t like mounts because immersion. How is a mount less immersive than walking everywhere? There are animals in the game. Races domesticate animals (including devourers used by charr in the game), seems to me that nothing could be more natural than riding a mount…for immersion.

I think a lot of it has to do with mount trolling in other games. Standing on top of NPCs, blocking views, clutter everywhere, etc.

I myself, was rather anti-mountish, but that’s because I was a a Guild Wars 1 traditionalist.

Now, after seeing them in the announcement video, I’m reservedly excited. I’m just hoping they’re disabled in cities.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Leo G.4501

I think a lot of it has to do with mount trolling in other games. Standing on top of NPCs, blocking views, clutter everywhere, etc.

I myself, was rather anti-mountish, but that’s because I was a a Guild Wars 1 traditionalist.

Now, after seeing them in the announcement video, I’m reservedly excited. I’m just hoping they’re disabled in cities.

I think this is something everyone in the thread can agree with. We should have “no mounts zone” areas mainly around heavily populated zones (like entering the trading post or crafting area) or stopping NPC interaction while mounted. I doubt many people would be oppose to that.

Posted by: Ravenflame.5890

Ravenflame.5890

I think this is something everyone in the thread can agree with. We should have “no mounts zone” areas mainly around heavily populated zones (like entering the trading post or crafting area) or stopping NPC interaction while mounted. I doubt many people would be oppose to that.

I can definitely get behind no mounts zones, especially as they aren’t really needed in cities anyway.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

no.

glad anet made the right choice and introduce mounts

I am/was in the no mount category. I like the way they have introduced mounts if we are going to have them in game. They are just another form of gliding or using aspects IMO.

That being said, there was no “right choice” in introducing mounts or introducing anything for that matter. Whether you want mounts or not, neither is right or wrong.

Posted by: lunarminx.3624

lunarminx.3624

So some have jokingly suggested that perhaps mounts could be forgone entirely that we should have characters themselves making huge jumps and traveling fast and etc.

But then I began to think about that. Why the hell not actually? Why can’t we allow an option to have people enter into a special “Travel Mode” in place of a mount if you so desired. You wouldn’t have a mount but (assuming you had the required mount masteries unlocked) you would have the exact same speed and abilities as someone who is riding a mount. The only difference between the Travel Mode and actual mounts would just be cosmetic.

I personally think it would be pretty awesome to see a few of people’s characters booking it across the desert at high speeds, teleporting, and doing sweet jumps. The more I think about this, the more I really want this now. And one of the cool things is that ANet could implement this super easily since all the animation work for jumps/teleports/etc. are already there of course.

This would give the option to keep things centered on people’s actual characters and allow for even more choice in how people want to play the game at minimal cost and maintenance to ANet.

That would be awesome! I would love to have super jump again along with super speed. My first mmo was City of Heros and I had super jump and super speed and both were amazing. If there was an option to obtain the skills for myself or have mounts that had them, I would pick to have them for myself. Mounts are a major clutter of space especially in cities! Just try to find the banker or mail box in Rift sometimes! because people are just too rude to dismount around npc. That is a major pet peeve of mine.

Posted by: Neva Eilhart.5347

Neva Eilhart.5347

It baffles me how somehow people don’t seem to get what mounts actually are in this game gameplay-wise.

Basically, mounts are zephyrite powers from dry top (the kind of powers the OP is requesting) mixed with a rather convenient perma-swiftness buff applied to your character. It’s pretty much that simple. It won’t be game breaking or whatever. And they fit IMHO in the new areas pretty well lore-wise.

I really don’t get what all this fuss is about.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Partly yes, but I think a lot of it is because of the perception of GW2 being sold almost as a different type of MMO, so when certain players see things like mounts or raids, they automatically kick back because these are more traditional MMO features and they are protective of their game against such things.

It is a bit misguided though, largely because what is overlooked is that MMO’s generally still need these features to attract a wider audience, but more significantly that Anet tends to adapt these features in a non-traditional way. Mounts are not being introduced as a pure speed/skin feature – they have additional design purpose taken into account during the design of the maps and environment.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Your idea sounds rather silly OP. Why would anyone want our super cool mounts to be replaced with turning our characters into The Flash, Superman or The Green Lantern?

Seriously, I don’t understand why some of you are so anti-mounts. Mounts are cool. Especially these mounts Anet has in store for us in PoF. Why would someone not want them?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Your idea sounds rather silly OP. Why would anyone want our super cool mounts to be replaced with turning our characters into The Flash, Superman or The Green Lantern?

Seriously, I don’t understand why some of you are so anti-mounts. Mounts are cool. Especially these mounts Anet has in store for us in PoF. Why would someone not want them?

Perhaps because not everyone thinks that they are cool?

Think about your favorite character.
Specifically his appearance.
How you spent hours choosing the right combination of armor pieces and dyes.
How proud you are of the results.
How much you enjoy having such a cool looking character.

Now realise that someone else thinks your character is unattractive, or otherwise visually unappealing.

You see, or perhaps you dont, we all have different opinions about what we think looks good.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Exactly. WoW does a good job at this. I can’t remember ever being hindered in my interactions with NPCs, vendors, etc. by other people with mounts. All the important vendors are inside a building and in WoW your char automatically dismounts the moment you walk inside a building. But even outside while being out- and about, questing etc. I don’t think I’ve ever successfully been trolled by mounted players.

So really, this ‘mountphobia’ I’m seeing from some people makes no sense to me.

LucosTheDutch.4819

Now realise that someone else thinks your character is unattractive, or otherwise visually unappealing.

You see, or perhaps you dont, we all have different opinions about what we think looks good.

Oh come on. There are 5 vastly different mounts. They are all well-designed and you can tell that the devs spend an incredibly amount of time animating them and making their movement look good, attractive and believable. You can’t tell me you think all 5 of them look ugly, that just seems dishonest to me.

Besides, how would “your character booking it at high speed through the desert” look any better? I think that would look incredibly stupid.

Clearly, there are way more people in the “mounts are cool” camp than the “mounts are lame” camp. If this wasn’t the case, Anet wouldn’t have added them in PoF. Or do you think the market researchers at Anet aren’t doing their job?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Oh come on. There are 5 vastly different mounts. They are all well-designed and you can tell that the devs spend an incredibly amount of time animating them and making their movement look good, attractive and believable. You can’t tell me you think all 5 of them look ugly, that just seems dishonest to me.

Besides, how would “your character booking it at high speed through the desert” look any better? I think that would look incredibly stupid.

Clearly, there are way more people in the “mounts are cool” camp than the “mounts are lame” camp. If this wasn’t the case, Anet wouldn’t have added them in PoF. Or do you think the market researchers at Anet aren’t doing their job?

So people who dont like the same things as you are dishonest…

What looks good or attractive is subjective. One could just as easily, and accurately, say that anet spent an incredible amount of time animating them and making their movement look bad and unattractive.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Wondrouswall.7169

Wondrouswall.7169

We live in 2017 where mounts trigger people in a videogame, to an extend you want a censorship because somehow you have personal problems with people using domesticated wildlife as a mode of transportation.

That is the world we live in. Remember the krytan floppy fish? And that was just a miniature.

PET PRECISION & DPS TESTS -OUTDATED-
Will update once Path of Fire releases.

Posted by: Andovar Edoras.2143

Andovar Edoras.2143

So…you basically want the zephyrite crystals again.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Exactly. WoW does a good job at this. I can’t remember ever being hindered in my interactions with NPCs, vendors, etc. by other people with mounts. All the important vendors are inside a building and in WoW your char automatically dismounts the moment you walk inside a building. But even outside while being out- and about, questing etc. I don’t think I’ve ever successfully been trolled by mounted players.

So really, this ‘mountphobia’ I’m seeing from some people makes no sense to me.

Actually, WoW does a crap job with this. In the main cities, that are the main hubs for pretty much all socializing, people purpously stand over NPC’s, Mailboxes and whatnot. I’m not even talking about the mess with the prattling heirloom mount that are seemingly always manned by AFK people at mailboxes and NPC’s. Also not talking about the seasonal events where seasonal NPC’s are blocked off with mounts that are big as mountains or bellowing smoke and are preferably stacked by hundreds to make the server lag out…. because ‘fun’.

I have no idea what version of WoW you played, or even when, but it has nothing to do with the massive trollfest it is today.

Again, mounts are fine as long as their implementation is well thought out. Not just plonk ’em in everywhere without so much as thinking it through.

That hardly qualifies as ‘mountphobia’, does it? It’s more ‘educated criticism’.

If anything, the group of people that want them ‘no matter what’ seems a bunch less empathetic about it than the ones that want a bit of restrain and thoughtfullness to it.

Rauderi.8706

I’ll also be frank. I want a mechanic where you cross a line, you are launched off your mount and you’re prone for like 10 seconds before you can get back up. Said lines should be placed at the entrances of buildings/establishments meant for social/economical interaction.

If said mechanic were established, people without mounts would appreciate not having mounts in certain locations and people with mounts will eventually learn not to use mounts in specific locations. Preserve this feature for crowded cities and around specific locations where players mass around a central location (vendors, vendor hubs, crafting areas, banks, BL npcs, maps portals, etc).

I’d be a fan of mounts being trained to be afraid of “strangers” (ie, anything with an interaction button). They’d just naturally shy away from heart vendors, etc.

Wouldn’t mind spawnable items having a limitation of being at least 300 range away from other interactable items, too.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I must say that considering the ideas they have with certain gliders and harvesting tools that having “mount” skins that follow the trend of super powered player characters isn’t that of a far off idea.

Though not as a standard must have thing.. imo.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Dravyn.4671

Dravyn.4671

How are there no horses in Tyria?

Arnox.5128

So, you essentially just want to not be able to see the mount?

I don’t personally care that much but other people do for a variety of reasons. And the Travel Mode would just look cool too.

Seriously, you are making fun of yourself OP.

I don’t actually have that much of a problem with it and I’m not “triggered”. lol Travel Mode would be totally optional.

Why can’t you just pop your glider and fly eternally with the mantaray mount? I think we tossed realism out the window the minute we started moving rocks around with our minds and began battling talking cats.

Immersion does not necessarily equal realism. A lot of it equals consistency in the world actually. And Travel Mode would actually be even more consistent with the game world than mounts, giving more focus to the characters themselves as per past games. Furthermore, when in the mode, you would have to summon up the energy to propel yourself that far and across obstacles would naturally require lots of concentration. And you can’t have it on in cities because the guards don’t want you getting to places you shouldn’t be. Hence, the lore reasons why you can’t just be in Travel Mode and still attack and why it can’t be used in cities.

Travel Mode is optional. You don’t have to use it at all if you don’t want to.

Rauderi.8706

Why can’t you just pop your glider and fly eternally with the mantaray mount? I think we tossed realism out the window the minute we started moving rocks around with our minds and began battling talking cats.

Immersion does not necessarily equal realism. A lot of it equals consistency in the world actually. And Travel Mode would actually be even more consistent with the game world than mounts, giving more focus to the characters themselves as per past games. Furthermore, when in the mode, you would have to summon up the energy to propel yourself that far and across obstacles would naturally require lots of concentration. And you can’t have it on in cities because the guards don’t want you getting to places you shouldn’t be. Hence, the lore reasons why you can’t just be in Travel Mode and still attack and why it can’t be used in cities.

That’s not really consistent, though. Nevermind that “where were you hiding that glider” question which inherently strains on immersion, if only because it’s a core mechanic. Or the lack of most of our other Season 3 masteries on the maps, though that’s more rooted in tool usage.
Because in GW2Land, special tricks often require tools. So is the proposal for travel to include the special tools we have to use to travel? Some bundle we pick up. Or perhaps summon? And then ride on?
Logically, mounts actually make more sense, as they are our traveling “toolkit”. I suppose, if we were to wish for a less ostentatious approach, we could receive a gift of crystals from the Zephyrites and use masteries to make those crystals better, which would be pretty cool, to be honest, and way less cluttery than actual mounts.

Many alts; handle it!

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Wait until the next expansion reveals that Tyria is actually sitting on the back of a giant turtle flying through space. You’ve been riding a mount all along!!!

Does that turtle go by the name of The Great A’tuin and carry four enormous elephants in its back? If so, kudos for making me smile.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

How are there no horses in Tyria?

Different planet and evolution chain? There are no smokescales or jade constructs on Earth, either. (thankfully!)

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

As someone playing only Asuran characters, having mounts is like playing Charr every now and then.

Its no big deal.

Posted by: Ranael.6423

Ranael.6423

Well, already without mounts there is some NPC hiding made by huge Norns and Charrs… and JP “trolling” is also a thing. We survived 5 years without “anti-Norn” zones… we will survive without “anti-mounts” ones I guess.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

It’s pretty much like it is with everything that Anet does: love the concept, hate the implementation. Loved the mastery idea (horizontal progression), hated it’s implementation. Love the idea of mounts, hate that they will be used to gate content. I love mounts in MMO’s, but I don’t want to have to have a mount to advance the core game. It’s the equivalent of a soft totalitarianism in game design philosophy.

Speaking of design, I was kinda hoping that Jason VandenBerghe would interact with the community on issues of design. But, I guess here he will follow the Anet philosophy and stand aloof.

(edited by Raine.1394)

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I don’t get the inherent disliking of mounts, seriously.

The only “sensible” argument I’ve seen (or well, the one I would readily agree with) is that they might bring with them the issues they brought into WoW.

But, to that end there’s 2 issues with that logic:

• Land mounts were fine in WoW, it was flying mounts which had a distinct problem because they removed the sense of danger. This is further trivialized because in the open world, GW2 just doesn’t really have much danger any more. Which is sad in itself, but there’s also nothing mounts could take away.
  • The mounts we’re getting sound quite unlike the ones in WoW. Ours seem to be more like an “exploration class”, a specialization you pick to determine your MetroidVania style exploration upgrade. Not a way to fast-traverse brought forth from necessity like in WoW.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

LucosTheDutch.4819

So people who dont like the same things as you are dishonest…

What looks good or attractive is subjective. One could just as easily, and accurately, say that anet spent an incredible amount of time animating them and making their movement look bad and unattractive.

This whole “everything is subjective” spiel is old, it’s not true, and needs to die.

While indeed a good portion of beauty is subjective, most of it is grounded in objective measurable reality. The ’ uncanny valley’ for example, is a real thing and almost universally applicable to all human beings, and it’s objectively measurable. The ‘golden ratio’ is also a real, objective, and universal standard for beauty. Build your composition according to the ‘golden ratio’, and your painting will look universally more professional and more attractive to 99,9% of all people. People who’s facial structure closely match the ‘golden ratio’ are universally considered more attractive than people who’s faces do not match the ‘golden ratio’. These opinions and views on beauty are universal across the whole world and independent from culture.

To say “one could just as easily, and accurately, say that anet spent an incredible amount of time animating them and making their movement look bad and unattractive” is just blatantly false, nonsensical and stupid, and you know it. Or are you saying the animators at Anet don’t know how to do their job?

Anet can’t please everybody, ‘t is true. But they can please the vast majority. And the vast majority wanted mounts, but the vast majority also didn’t just want mounts for a speed boost, they wanted them to be meaningful. And thus, Anet delivered us exactly that after 5 years of people asking for it.