A Gentleman's & Ladie's Guide to GW2's "Online Etiquette"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kaine.3501

Kaine.3501

There are a few things I would like to discuss about the online etiquette of GW’s 2.

1. When placing another player on ignore there is no need to tell the chat channel “I IGNORED KAIDE!!!” like you won a great battle….just simply block the player in question. And remember to always be a gentleman and never tell other players to block this person as well…let them reach their own conclusions.

2. If your guild cannot get into WvW because its full….before you tell other people to leave….you should just transfer to a lower populated server so that your guild can all get in.

3. When reviving another player do not stop halfway through the revive and run off because you see something shiny.

4. If someone has a legitimate concern about GW2 please do not tell them to go back to world of warcraft.

5. Discussing Politics and Religion in chat channels is for hooligans….not a refined gentleman like yourself.

6. If you think that people are screaming at you WHEN THEY TALK IN ALL CAPS simply wear ear muffs when you play. This will stop an argumentative response.

7. Do not fly your guilds banner from a keep in WvW if it does not help out your team.

8. When in WvW if your team needs help do not run over and start attacking the giant grub worm….nor should you complete the jumping puzzle…..go aid your allies in their time of need.

9. Remember that not everyone in the game is a troll….so there is no need to spam troll at everyone that talks in chat. You are above those kinds of shenanigans.

10. If you need siege in WvW….don’t just scream for it….go pay the man some coin out of your own pocket and help out your DR deprived team.

Please feel free to add more to the list.

Attachments:

Server: Kaineng
Name: “Kaide” (Kaine is just the account name)

(edited by Kaine.3501)

Posted by: SamTheGuardian.2938

SamTheGuardian.2938

1. Every great once in a while it’s fun to do

2. Not the best choice for everyone, one of the great thing about leading a guild is you’re ability to downsize at will

3. From my observation: Most people stop performing a res only when the incoming damage begins to risk their own life. It would be silly for you to both lay their dead.

4. if their concern is about the endgame then their concern is that GW2 has no raids and is therefor not enough like WoW for them. Recommending they go back to a game that better suits their taste makes more sense than allowing them to try and change GW2

5. It’s especially fun around 2 AM in guild chat. If you’re going to discuss these things and risk making life long enemies best do i with the people you are closet too in the game

6. BECUSE PEOPLE SH0ULDN’T BE CORECTED WHEN THEY MAKE MISTAKES

7. Guildies first, server second.

8. I agree.

9. Twice in a row

10. Unless you’re too poor to do so like the 99% of us (oh boy, there is something disturbing about that number) in which case asking for help makes much more sense than shrugging shoulder and heading back to PvE

Posted by: Robotsonik.4935

Robotsonik.4935

Since this is a “Gentleman’s” guide, I’ll assume I’m exempt since I’m a girl. Yay!

Posted by: Twinkiman.2610

Twinkiman.2610

Those are words I can respect.

/signed

Posted by: Raven Paradox.1860

Raven Paradox.1860

11) Revive someone that is in front of you and being attacked by a ranger with a longbow so they can get up without being forced to call you a moron. Seriously, people say they didn’t rez me because I lashed at them, yet I wait a bit before I say “umm… help?” and get fierce. Those are the types of people that actually do need to go back to WoW.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

3. When reviving another player do not stop halfway through the revive and run off because you got distracted.

i disagree.

i am not staying to be killed if the enemy players are pounding on me.
my warrior can only tank so much damage before i need to roll away and heal.

Kaine.3501

3. When reviving another player do not stop halfway through the revive and run off because you got distracted.

i disagree.

i am not staying to be killed if the enemy players are pounding on me.
my warrior can only tank so much damage before i need to roll away and heal.

I never said you were being attacked….I said distracted….Ill change it to shiny

Posted by: Kymbre.6384

Kymbre.6384

Since this is a “Gentleman’s” guide, I’ll assume I’m exempt since I’m a girl. Yay!

Best response so far. I guess us ladies of GW2 are exempt.

Kaine.3501

I changed the title to include “Ladies”….I do apologize

Posted by: Soulbound Soldier.6148

Soulbound Soldier.6148

So glad I’ve been following this guide in my time on GW2 so far.

Posted by: Pixel Seven.5472

Pixel Seven.5472

Don’t call others bookah even if they are. They might get offended.

Server: Desolation
Aliases: Nukkavieru, Äpärä, Vahinkolapsi, Nirpp

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

What I find funny is that the official strategy guide actually has a section similar to this post.
I think that is a big clue they need to sticky this post. I edit this later and provide the page number when I get home from work.

EDIT: article starts on page 42 but pertaining to this post it is on page 43

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

(edited by Krosslite.1950)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

11) Thank someone for resurrecting or otherwise being nice to you

12 ) Be nice to Newbies . You were one once yourself after all

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Don’t call others bookah even if they are. They might get offended.

Silence, Bookah.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

If you need a guide for this, than you’re doing something wrong in real life…

By this apparantly negative comment I mean:
this guide is either common sense to you, or it is wasted on you anyhow.

It’s a fun post, but will only reach those who don’t need it.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Kimbald.2697

Of course I don’t fully agree on every point made, but that’s because I’m quite capable of making my own decisions in the social game of life.
Transferring this to a virtual life comes natural.

No one can hide who he is in an anonymous game…

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

1. I’ll tell everybody to block that person I just blocked, considering I only block gold spammers…

5. Good, I can talk politics then without being a hooligan! (not being a gentleman)

6. I will tell people to stop shouting, because it’s highly annoying when people type in all-caps. Besides, I find it more friendly to say: “you don’t need to shout” then “don’t type in all caps”. It delivers the message better.

8. If I ever do get into WvW, I most certainly won’t be helping my team. I don’t want to go there, I must go there to complete my 100% (unless they have changed it by the time I have reached that last percent).

The rest I agree upon but I also think that they are normal behaviour…. Any sane thinking and decently raised person would think those “rules” are normal….

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

>>11) Revive someone that is in front of you and being attacked by a ranger with a longbow so they can get up without being forced to call you a moron. Seriously, people say they didn’t rez me because I lashed at them, yet I wait a bit before I say “umm… help?” and get fierce. Those are the types of people that actually do need to go back to WoW.<<

Bein’ revived is a service and a favor, not an obligation. It’s always cool to revive people when you can, but it is never cool to insult people if they don’t feel like they can get to you, or they’re in the middle of doing something else. Saying “help please” is fine, saying “thank you” is important; if I see you call anyone a moron for not reviving you I will block you and I will not be reviving you in the future.

Adding to the list; if someone comes to help you, in a fight or to revive you when you’re down, say “thank you”. If yer in the middle of a big battle an’ don’t have time to type – and that happens – say thanks when it’s all over. Showin’ some appreciation costs you nothing but it repays the person for taking the time to do a good deed.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Kimbald.2697

11) Revive someone that is in front of you and being attacked by a ranger with a longbow so they can get up without being forced to call you a moron. Seriously, people say they didn’t rez me because I lashed at them, yet I wait a bit before I say “umm… help?” and get fierce. Those are the types of people that actually do need to go back to WoW.<<

This comes across rather arrogant, sorry to say…
As if in WoW people are never polite, gratefull or helpfull.

The WoW community consists of human beings, and a few bots, just like GW2.
What makes you think all WoW players are rude or demanding?
Of course there are those, but to simply state that WoW is where those people belong is so incredibly biased of you.

The list contains just that, that one rule. A variation of nr 4.
I was afraid, upon reading that one rule, that this is the one that many who were supporting this list, would actually break…
And you just did.

Note: you might say it is a joke, but that’s the kind of jokes that gentlemen or ladies don’t make…

(edited by Kimbald.2697)

Posted by: Ardrea.7045

Ardrea.7045

Raven Paradox.1860

11) Revive someone that is in front of you and being attacked by a ranger with a longbow so they can get up without being forced to call you a moron. Seriously, people say they didn’t rez me because I lashed at them, yet I wait a bit before I say “umm… help?” and get fierce. Those are the types of people that actually do need to go back to WoW.

This rule doesn’t belong on the list.

As others have said, reviving a friend is a voluntary service, often done cheerfully, and deserving of a friendly thank you. If someone does not revive you, that’s their choice. If they’re a Gentleman or a Lady, they’ll certainly try if they can. If they don’t feel they can reach you safely, or if they feel they need to spend some time making the location safe enough to spend the time to revive, that’s their choice too. Getting snippy at a volunteer not seeing to your needs fast enough for your liking, or because the volunteer feels it’s not safe; well, that’s just bad form. I would not revive a “complainer” either.

Jack of Tears.9458

The arrogance…

I’m quoting someone else there, (Raven Paradox, above) so I’d prefer you cut my name off your quote of my quote when you start getting irate at people.

Kimbald.2697

The arrogance…

I’m quoting someone else there, (Raven Paradox, above) so I’d prefer you cut my name off your quote of my quote when you start getting irate at people.

My sincere apologies!
The quoting you did appears different than the usual quoting here.

I did read through the posts, but that one slipped by me, untill i saw it at your post between those arrows.
I simply took it for your own suggestion, emphasised with those arrows…

Of course I took your name of, and again: sorry.

And to add: I might want to rephrase that first line, coming out overly aggressive indeed.
The rest of my post I stand by, but no reason to get all defensive over it either on my part.

Jack of Tears.9458

My sincere apologies!
The quoting you did appears different than the usual quoting here.

Yeah, for whatever reason I don’t always get the “quote” tool when I’m lookin’ at a thread, so I have to copy and paste instead. Problem fixed, no harm done.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Yeah, for whatever reason I don’t always get the “quote” tool when I’m lookin’ at a thread, so I have to copy and paste instead. Problem fixed, no harm done.

If you use the permanent link and edit the last part of the URL so that it has the post number followed by /quote, e.g. “/332819/quote”, you can get around the missing tools.

And to stay on topic, I only have two rules when it comes to etiquette:

1. Treat other folks how you would like to be treated
  2. If someone is behaving badly, give them the benefit of the doubt until they’ve proven themselves to be an irredeemable jerk.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes there are other reasons for folks doing things that annoy you that have nothing to do with them being a jerk. That guy that cut you off on the road – maybe he just found out his wife is in the hospital. The person that ran off after only rezzing you half way? Maybe her guild mate was in trouble (we use Teamspeak when we WvW) and she had to go. At least the next person that comes along only has half as much to do to revive you.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: Sinfullysweet.4517

Sinfullysweet.4517

I love this list, made me smile!

[OTG] ~ [GAME]~ [ROAM]~[AUTH]~ [LOFT]
Current Home: Yaks Bend Former Home: Maguuma/TC/SBI
Sin’s Characters on Gw2efficiency

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

It’s either; “A Gentleman’s and Lady’s” (singular), or, “A Gentlemen’s and Ladies’,” (plural).

You’re getting closer, though.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’ve seen far too many armchair commanders in WvWvW screaming and throwing toys out of prams in an attempt to get people to bend to their whim.
To these I say:
If you want to command respect, respect those you command.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

Best response so far. I guess us ladies of GW2 are exempt.

Of course ladies are exempt from the guide, its just us boys/men that need to be told how to play well with others ;-)

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

I’ve seen far too many armchair commanders in WvWvW screaming and throwing toys out of prams in an attempt to get people to bend to their whim.
To these I say:
If you want to command respect, respect those you command.

Sometimes I just reply back with warcraft 3 quotes to them… though not sure they get it…

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

11. Nobody has the right to tell you what to do. (i.e. the OP)

Kimbald.2697

Loxias, since the OP started out by writing for the ‘gentlemen’ only, I assume he is a gentleman himself.

Therefore, not by gaming etiquette, but by common politeness, it should surely be:

A Lady’s and Gentleman’s guide…

Aside the grammatical point you make of course.

Keep on editing OP

Kimbald.2697

Now, if the OP were to start with mentioning the lady before the gentleman, one could easily conclude he is being male chauvenistic piggish about females needing more etiquette guidelines in a game.

Maybe slow down on the editing a bit OP.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

1. There is no achievement for winning an argument in Lion’s Arch Mapchat.
  2. It’s hard to read emotions and intentions over the internet. Don’t assume by default that someone’s being short with you.
  3. Unless they’re Asura. Ha ha. Get it?
  4. I’m sorry. That was a pretty terrible joke.
  5. Someone who doesn’t share your sense of outrage isn’t necessarily a “fanboy/fangirl”
  6. If you’re a roleplayer, please don’t mock someone else’s style of roleplay or choice of character. Intentionally embarrassing someone who’s trying to be creative is pretty low.
  7. If a Dungeon team is going absolutely nowhere and you want to leave, that’s fine. But at the very least, give them some advance notice and one or two more tries, and be polite about it.
  8. Value your newbies. They’re your most vulnerable and most valuable member of the community.
  9. If you find yourself losing your cool in-game, snapping at people or just not having any fun, take a few deep breaths and step aside for a while. Log out, if you have to. No dungeon team likes having an irate teammate. PVP’s never fun if you’re furious at everyone. And the forums are just going to rub salt in it.
  10. Learn to use the Block/Report tools. Block trolls—don’t feed them. If someone’s being impossible, rude or just plain inflammatory in /map, turn them off.
  11. Try and be rational and tone down on the hyperbole and angry rhetoric when posting on the forums. There’s a simple reason for this: If you want a decent discussion and you want the devs to take notice of what you have to say, be civil about it. Even if you’re upset. Especially if you’re upset. The game is by no means perfect and you very well should bring up honest criticisms and complaints. Just do it in a way that isn’t insulting to anyone who disagrees with you.
  12. Having a valid complaint doesn’t make you a hater. It doesn’t threaten someone else’s enjoyment of the game. A full-throated defense of ArenaNet shouldn’t drown out valuable criticism, and very often the most loyal and passionate fans are the ones who genuinely want to see problems fixed and gameplay improved.
  13. The highest form of courtesy is the courtesy you show yourself. Don’t let other people stomp on your fun or drag you down.
  14. Take it easy around Trahearne. Use few syllables and talk slowly. He’s not the greenest lettuce in the crisper.
Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Arsenal.2601

Arsenal.2601

1. It is in terribly poor form to show up to a dungeon party wearing the exact same armor with the exact same dye pattern as another player. If this happens, quickly excuse yourself, and change your colors.

2. When hopping upwards toward Vistas or other elevated areas, a gentleman never follows too closely behind a woman in skirted armor.

3. In a similar fashion, for heaven’s sake, an Asura should go around a Norn in skirted armor, not underneath.

4. If defeated repeatedly to the point where one finds oneself no longer wearing a single stitch of armor, a quick switch to town clothes and making haste to the nearest armor repair is in order.

5. All value their personal space. So do not be that person who stands inside of another person merging bodies together like some awfully grotesque Star Trek teleportation accident.

6. Respect your vanquished foes, for they have died honorably at your sword. Do not engage in victory dances above their slain corpse.

7. Additionally, if one sets a foe on fire, and this goes for the Norn in particular, it is not an invitation to use the burning bodies to light your tobacco pipe.

8. When receiving an invitation to a guild one would rather not join, “get lost!” is a highly inappropriate and ill mannered response. The correct response should be “No thank you, get lost.”

“I’m always achieving greatness!”

(edited by Arsenal.2601)

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

Nice additions Eveningstar.

I must add. That MMOs like this wonderful game are a way for people to get away from Real Life for a time.

Some may be handicapped. Some may be having troubles not only with things happening to them in RL, but to their family members. There are times when people’s need to vent their frustrations is more then called for. As others have said. If you’re getting mad at stuff in the game. Step away from the keyboard and take a break from the game.

There is an increasing awareness of bullying as well. More and more people are starting to stand up to this type of behavior.

Bullying also takes place in MMOs. Many of us came to this game to escape this type of behavior that was present in other MMOs and the companies that made and ran them really didn’t give a darn.

I have to say that overall in this game to date I have not witness any massive bullying either in chat or folks actions. The fact that this thread was made would state otherwise.

If you feel you are being harassed or you don’t like how someone is acting. Report them. There are rules of conduct that people are required in writing to follow. This is something that is managed by customer service. Let them do their job.

Most of all have fun. If you aren’t having fun then step back and try something different. Be it in game or in RL.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Kimbald.2697

1. It is in terribly poor form to show up to a dungeon party wearing the exact same armor with the exact same dye pattern as another player. If this happens, quickly excuse yourself, and change your colors.

2. When hopping upwards toward Vistas or other elevated areas, a gentleman never follows too closely behind a woman in skirted armor.

3. In a similar fashion, for heaven’s sake, an Asura should go around a Norn in skirted armor, not underneath.

4. If defeated repeatedly to the point where one finds oneself no longer wearing a single stitch of armor, a quick switch to town clothes and making haste to the nearest armor repair is in order.

5. All value their personal space. So do not be that person who stands inside of another person merging bodies together like some awfully grotesque Star Trek teleportation accident.

6. Respect your vanquished foes, for they have died honorably at your sword. Do not engage in victory dances above their slain corpse.

7. Additionally, if one sets a foe on fire, and this goes for the Norn in particular, it is not an invitation to use the burning bodies to light your tobacco pipe.

8. When receiving an invitation to a guild one would rather not join, “get lost!” is a highly inappropriate and ill mannered response. The correct response should be “No thank you, get lost.”

I like Arsenal’s list better than the initial one, I must say.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

If you use the permanent link and edit the last part of the URL so that it has the post number followed by /quote, e.g. “/332819/quote”, you can get around the missing tools.

And to stay on topic, I only have two rules when it comes to etiquette:

1. Treat other folks how you would like to be treated
  2. If someone is behaving badly, give them the benefit of the doubt until they’ve proven themselves to be an irredeemable jerk.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes there are other reasons for folks doing things that annoy you that have nothing to do with them being a jerk. That guy that cut you off on the road – maybe he just found out his wife is in the hospital. The person that ran off after only rezzing you half way? Maybe her guild mate was in trouble (we use Teamspeak when we WvW) and she had to go. At least the next person that comes along only has half as much to do to revive you.

Having a bad day is no excuse for treating others badly. I have bad days, I don’t get in the game and treat others badly.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

When reporting someone, do not announce it to all and sundry. As well as being bad form, it will likely result in revenge reporting, making it harder for ArenaNet to find out exactly who was at fault.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: Arghore.8340

Arghore.8340

I would like to see nr.5 in the OP changed:

5. If you can’t talk IRL politics or religion with gentle(wo)man’s respect, do not talk about it at all.

Mainly because I personally think that these topics are supposed to be talked about, where it generally goes wrong is the lack of respect people have for the opposite or different point of view. Thus it is not so much the subject that is the problem, it’s the lack of gentle(wo)man behavior… Biggest issue here is though, politicians themselves seem to lack this general understanding of human interaction, and entirely give off the wrong example (especially during election time), so if you see any politician or party sink to the level of ‘adhominin’ they are not worthy of your vote. On-subject discussion with good argumentation is what we need, if only for setting an example for humanity as a whole…

I also made sure i put IRL in the guideline, as it is fairly clear that politics and religion are to be talked about in the ingame sense. In fact, it would be quite entertaining to see a discussion between the races about the subject of religion. The same would apply though…

We are peace, we are war. We are how we treat each other and nothing more…
25 okt 2014 – PinkDay in LA

(edited by Arghore.8340)

Posted by: akuzum.5263

akuzum.5263

Addition:
Don’t write “LVL <number>, fully exotic <class> LFG <DungeonName>” on map chat.
It just sounds you are an eBay toon or you are showing off which is hilarious!

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

1. If someone is behaving badly, give them the benefit of the doubt until they’ve proven themselves to be an irredeemable jerk.

Everyone has bad days and sometimes there are other reasons for folks doing things that annoy you that have nothing to do with them being a jerk.

Having a bad day is no excuse for treating others badly. I have bad days, I don’t get in the game and treat others badly.

Maybe behaving badly wasn’t the best choice of words on my part. If someone ignores my request for help, or runs over my corpse, or is a little curt, I don’t get angry, I assume they’ve got something else going on in their lives that’s distracting them or keeping them from being their normal friendly, helpful selves.

If someone trains a bunch of mobs on you then laughs when you die, or is overtly rude, well I think that falls under “proven themselves to be a jerk”.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

It’s spelled Lady, not Ladie.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: UKNightWatch.5742

UKNightWatch.5742

Kaine, you are very able at giving us a chuckle!

I particularly liked “If you think that people are screaming at you WHEN THEY TALK IN ALL CAPS simply wear ear muffs when you play. This will stop an argumentative response.”

And when you apoligised to the ladies I did smile a little.

As for the grammar or spelling, we get the point! That said, here are some examples of how the title could be made out;

“A gentleman’s and lady’s guide to ‘Guild Wars Two’ online etiquette.”— single gentleman and single lady so to say but applying to many readers.

“A guide to ‘Guild Wars Two’ online etiquette for ladies and gentlemen.” — plural and all!

Who am I to spout ways of wording a title? My grammar is awful. (Just last week we had to stop her from dancing on tables at a family get together!)

Any way, this post is a joyful read that is both interesting and has lots of good input.

I agree with most of the OP except I can not comment too much on WvW as I have participated in that very little.

No rig in my sig? Only posted if needed!

(edited by UKNightWatch.5742)