A-Net prooves themself wrong

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Right now we are in a position where A-Net simply and plain is repeating stuff out of
context to calm situations or hide.

everyone knows there is no new contend or any effort to change it.
Of course you get the regular answers…..
- Adding 10 minutes of text box clicking is new content.
- Some dungeons have 10 trees and flowers added or moved to another position
so those are completely new dungeons-
Dry top is a new map, doesn’t matter it usefull for players or not.

I just learned to ignore all that and lower my expectations completely.
I am not A-Nets target group anyways.

But when i went to Lions Arch in GW1 yesterday i was completely mind blown.
I didn’t have the chance to play GW1 for a longer time and was highly surprised to find LA totally overcrowded and full of life.
The chat was relaxed and people just were there for fun and excitement.
Groups were formed people goofed around and the whole experience was so incredible refreshing and reminded me why GW1 is so far superior to GW2.

Coming back to GW2 today hit me like a hammer.
People were thrown out of groups, the regular zerker crap was going on and of course
the always present mind numbing grinding mixed with the poisoned environment that
comes with all that.

Dear A-Net i am tired of hearing everything is ok with GW2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing is ok ….regardless you tell me 2456 times.

This game is a shadow of itself as well A-Net.
GW1 proved you can be on line with your customers and even topping their wildest dreams.
Listening to whatever is wanted and delivering the absolute least effort to offer something that could be considered to be related to the topic is not cutting it.

you want examples ?

People were crying for skills………… you delivered 1 new healing skill of course totally useless…….
People were crying for new contend…… you delivered Text Box clicking
People wanted new maps…… you delivererd Dry Top.
I still don’t get it. This map just exists because the event of a ship falling down.
As long as you don’t craft amber weapons or the back piece this area is so incredible useless except for …. yepp.. going back to mind less farming and angry people.
Yes it is a map but it is impossible to go there for half sane people.
Same with Sun Island. This map was created as kinda vacation area.
So why the heck isn’t there something to go on a vacation ??
No beaches to group up and hang out.. no building no activities.
It is just there and there is absolutely no reason to go there
except the daily Pinata Queen.

Dear A-Net………….
bring purpose back to the game.
Don’t create something just for the sake of people crying.
try to listen what they really want. They want adventure… excitement and epic storys.
They want to explore and discover.

It’s not that you guys even have to think, it’s all there.
Open the whole map……. there are huge dwarfen mines and halls to explore,
treasures and history is to discover, tombs to be found……..

It’s all so easy……
What about instead you do a survey with 10.000’s of people who are not playing GW2
you start a survey asking the players who actually play the game.

If you wanna ask people who are not playing, ask the guys who played GW1
and refuse to touch GW2.
These people will tell you exactly what to do. You don’t even have to be creative.

In short … don’t deliver excuses instead what people really want and stop
telling them what they should want.

GW1 made A-Net an awesome company, don’t throw this all out
for the appealing thought of getting same success without delivering at least half the effort you put in GW1.

You already destroyed the connection to the people…. don’t destroy the whole game.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

GW1 and GW2 was created by 2 group. I mean literally, GW1 team really cared about the game and it’s player. I think they really enjoyed making and improving these games for us…the fans. There was constant updates and expansions to keep us entertain till this day.

I think GW2 became too corporate, they have no personal connection to us, it became all about the gem store (which gets updated quite a lot) and money. I understand it’s a business, but how about trying to retain a good gamer base that GW1 created. And don’t get me started about constantly keeping us in the dark about the future of the game, total failure.

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

your tellin me that you played through the living story and you came out of it thinking “I was literally just clicking through boxes for 10 minutes”.

Dry top is useful as hell, I spend all my time there. I am not going to use all of the skins, but I still want to complete the collection. Even if you dont care about that, you at least have to go there to get some ingredients for mawdrey. You can also make some good money farming dry top. but I wont tell you how hahaha

I am assuming your mentioning aetherpath towards the top, and come on, dude. YOUR TELLIN ME that you went through aetherpath and thought it was the same as the other path but they moved some kitten around?

They cant just open up the map. That takes a lot of time. They ARE opening up the map, but you didn’t seem to like that when they did it with dry top.

The only real valid points you had was the thing about zerkers and the skills. Every time they add a new LS chapter, it takes me probably 2 hours to go through it my first time. And I am still getting hours from replaying the LS for achieves and other loot.

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

GW1 is a very close knit community because it’s population is probably only several hundred (if that) at this point. Few people really do anything in GW1 any more other than idle in the various hub zones to chit chat. GW1 is also pretty much a single player game with group lobbies (town hubs).

GW2 is a high population MMORPG, people can afford to be selective and picky in who they bring with them because there’s always going to be people filling the gaps

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

Would comment but it’s pointless
takes a drink

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

All those people in gw1 are just there in towns to chat and do nothing, maybe reminisce. They will log off and it will be tumbleweed all over again. You cannot call that “playing the game” either.

Nice try though.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Your entire post is worth about as much as the pixels used to form the letters on the screen.

Development is harder than “just opening up the map.” It is foolish to believe releases or providing what the community wants is “just so easy” , especially when the community itself doesn’t even know what it wants.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

maybe we should compare between gw 1 developement and guild wars 2 development

Gw1 transition from prophecy to faction
20 or more new maps
tons of new monsters
2 new class
tons of new skills

this took about 1 or 2 years

GW 2 over 2 years
Redesign of the game questing and lvling
Redesign of wardrobes
1 new healing skill
1 new map and 2 new dungeons
redesign of lion arch
constant new story arc

In the end on a developement timeline its prety much similar but they have shifted focus elsewhere then on class themselves.

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

to the people saying there are only about 100 players in gw1 that do nothing and just sit in towns and “chit chat” ….oooh how wrong you are..

while its true gw1 has less players than gw2, and less players than it used to have it still has plenty of people actively playing trough the story line and not just sitting in towns chatting.

there are also people doing organised speed clears of elite areas that take time,effort, team coordination and plenty of team communication (something i barely see in gw2)

GW1 has 3 continents, missions, instances, dungeons and people are scattered across all of it and its the main reason why you cant see the whole player base on a single spot.

Also, the community is driven mostly by events. If there’s AB event people will massively group at those places, same goes as today’s Halloween even.

People are massively grouping in LA, Kamadan, ToA, grouping, forming pugs, communicate with each other, teaching each other about the “new” festival quests, rewards and farming places.

im sorry… but the OP is right about the differences between the community in gw1 and gw2….

i could go lvl 1-80, play wvw, LS,gear up, sell stuff,..even do all the dungeons without speaking with a single player in gw2.. what kind of a mmo is that?

in gw1 (atm during the festival) i go to ToA, ask about the thing people are doing most, 3 people explain me in whisper chat what i need to do before i could join them.

i do it, come back and join a party of 8 players. the 7 players give 5-10k gold to the leader and work together for a common goal (farming skeletons in UW)

You’d think people will run away with 70k gold? dont kid your self, been there since the festival started and never had or heard anyone mentioning of a scammer.

This is the difference between the communities of gw1 and gw2.

….and then there are those people who simply shrug their shoulders and say " i miss gw1 too bad its dead" and never look back on it. Its not as dead as you think, come take a look instead of being nostalgic of your favorite game

(edited by Vukorep.3081)

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I am assuming your mentioning aetherpath towards the top, and come on, dude. YOUR TELLIN ME that you went through aetherpath and thought it was the same as the other path but they moved some kitten around?

They cant just open up the map. That takes a lot of time. They ARE opening up the map, but you didn’t seem to like that when they did it with dry top.

He was obviously talking about all the little pointless changes to dungeons, not Aetherpath TA (which coincided with removing another path for some stupid reason). Some of those pointless changes being removing the room in CoF by the Acolytes, the hackjob of removing the SE P3 JP skip, moving some boxes around in CoE, allowing the golem boss to move in CoE, and the wealth of little inconsequential adjustments that were done to many Fractals. This is what Anet has been doing for dungeons rather than making new ones.

As for making new maps taking a long time, look at the next quote referenced:

If you’re talking about 2years, then you could probably include Nightfall as well into “what GW1 added in this time”. NF added even more than Factions did.

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

20 or more new maps
tons of new monsters
2 new class
tons of new skills

GW 2 over 2 years
Redesign of wardrobes
1 new healing skill
redesign of lion arch
constant new story arc

In the end on a developement timeline its prety much similar but they have shifted focus elsewhere then on class themselves.

Not sure what to answer here…………………….

A-Net needs same developement time and ressources or even more to develope next to nothing?
1 new skill, wardrobe and text box clicking vs 2 new continents, 100’s skills and monsters………

Try that in any other company of this planet. The headoffice would be chased out witch pitch forks by the owner. Well…. maybe the ownership is the problem here.
They seem fine to kitten off all the loyal people and cater to imaginary new players

kolompi.1287

Yes, and you know why they are going through the story? To get the HoM rewards in GW2… I’m sorry but the fact is, the people you see there now are there for Halloween and nothing else.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

What I got from the OP’s post is that he thinks there’s a better community in Gw1 than Gw2. Quite possibly true. I suspect it’s partly because they aren’t complaining all the time.

kolompi.1287

What I got from the OP’s post is that he thinks there’s a better community in Gw1 than Gw2. Quite possibly true. I suspect it’s partly because they aren’t complaining all the time.

Oh they are complaining, here, that GW2 is not GW1 enough.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I never really understood why people are saying: “GW1 had x,y,z and GW2 doesn’t so Anet needds to add x,y,z to make it more like GW1”
If GW1 is soooo much better then GW2 why aren’t you playing that instead?

With so many classes, skills, maps, etc. There should be LOTS of stuff to still do and explore. If you stopped playing GW1 because you’ve done it all, then even if GW2 added all that, it’ll just be a matter of time, before this game too grows stale and old and people stop playing. Thats just the nature of video games. If there was a video game that offered everything everybody wanted all the time, even that game would eventually die out because player would get bored after a certain amount of time and complain and move on to the next new shiney game that offered what they were looking for. They’ll never be satisfied.

In short, play and enjoy this game for what it is. If you are tired of it, it’s time to reevaluate your gaming needs and move on.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Another long unreadable spew of GW1 the best game in the universe. Haven’t seen one in a while.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

I had an awesome idea, but of course, again, it won’t matter, but…heres hoping it gets read and thought about by someone in a position to make a difference:

So i did “Reset Night” for the 2nd time this weekend. I got into Mumble and listed to my server’s best and brightest lead us on an extravagant journey of battling the evil Blackgate server on EB. The fights, the emotions, all of that was a throwback to the fun and excitement that i remember back when i first stepped into Molten Core (WoW) many years ago, for the first time.

It was epic! It was even more fun than <gulp> The Battle for Lion’s Arch.

So my thought here is, why can’t we have better loot tables or chances at more exotics on Reset Night all across the board? Just that one night. Every tower commander or rank 300+ player has a guaranteed rare drop, with a high chance of an exotic?

I think this would fix ALOT of the issues in the game right now with people complaining about loot, WvW in general, and content.

Lets face it, the PvE content of this game, with the seemingly limited resources that Anet appears to be showing is dismal at best, so why not harness the greatest mode in the game and make it a true source of end game?

My god man! Its player generated!!! In my opinion, is such an easy solution to an environment where the developers are throttling content based on resources, so why not? Its high risk/high reward, which is the F2P catch phrase, no?

But, truth of it all. They won’t. Gonna go cry myself into my ham sammich. Thanks fer readin.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Surbrus.6942

Anet abandoned GW1 like 7 years ago, and who’s to say that we aren’t still playing GW1? It only reflects positively on the game that it can go so long without any new content and still have so many loyal players… whereas GW2 has gone only 2 years with hardly any new (permanent) content and it doesn’t look like it could ever last another five in this state.

GW2 doesn’t even have basic functions that GW1 did, and there is no reason whatsoever to argue against many of the suggestions of “just do what you did for GW1”. Trait/skill templates, more skills, more classes, more interesting mechanics, more good skins (not clipping/stretching messes), more maps, more game modes, more PvE-PvP skill splits, more interesting enemies, more content… those are a few suggestions that you cannot possibly argue against.

Then there’s a lot more suggestions of “just do what GW1 did”, which could be argued against (make more challenging/complex skills/content, but that might “confuse new players”).

kolompi.1287

Anet abandoned GW1 like 7 years ago, and who’s to say that we aren’t still playing GW1? It only reflects positively on the game that it can go so long without any new content and still have so many loyal players… whereas GW2 has gone only 2 years with hardly any new (permanent) content and it doesn’t look like it could ever last another five in this state.

GW2 doesn’t even have basic functions that GW1 did, and there is no reason whatsoever to argue against many of the suggestions of “just do what you did for GW1”. Trait/skill templates, more skills, more classes, more interesting mechanics, more good skins (not clipping/stretching messes), more maps, more game modes, more PvE-PvP skill splits, more interesting enemies, more content… those are a few suggestions that you cannot possibly argue against.

Then there’s a lot more suggestions of “just do what GW1 did”, which could be argued against (make more challenging/complex skills/content, but that might “confuse new players”).

More skills = lots of duplicates, most skills weren’t even used. Ever.
Not clipping/stretching meshes? Are you for real? GW1 is a clipping nightmare.
More maps… yeah, more interesting or memorable? Nah. The larger areas like Crystal Desert or the Desolation were memorable but each map by itself?
More interesting enemies? I will agree with that. The groups were usually well-designed to use builds that synergize.
Templates? I fully agree.

One thing though, everyone who played GW1 should take off their 2" thick pink glasses and look at these games more objectively. I don’t mean list numbers but forget the whole "GW1 was better because… (i was younger, happier, etc….)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think the real problem with GW2 is that ANet doesn’t know what they want this game, or even themselves, to be.

Back with Guild Wars, the old Arena Net was free to be themselves, and to make the game that they wanted to make. Yes, they had to meet some goals and make money, but there wasn’t the same kinds of pressure that the current ANet is under now. Guild Wars was the result of Arena Net being who they really were. No apologies needed or given.

Today’s ANet isn’t that lucky. They’re like the High School kid that’s a nerd, but tries to hide it from everyone so he can fit in. When a writing assignment (GW2) comes up in class, he starts to type and by morning he’s made a start on an awesome and epic story. And then, he realizes what will happen when he turns it in, so he goes back, guts it, and throws in references to football and drinking. It’s crap, but those of us that know what we’re doing can see the remains of what was going to be awesome.

Worse, his dad (NCSoft) has gotten him a job at his office (China release) for “job experience”, and is proudly showing off his “jock” son. If he lets his real self show now, his dad will lose face and dinner that night will wind up looking like the start of an episode of Law and Order.

ANet wants GW2 to be both the game that does things differently, and a game that fits into everyone’s preferences and draws everyone in. These things don’t really go well together, and they wind up tearing the game apart with it. And this is why Guild Wars seems to be a “better” game in some respects than GW2.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Surbrus.6942

Not clipping/stretching meshes? Are you for real? GW1 is a clipping nightmare.

Ok let’s just say more effort put into the armours. Since almost all armour in GW2 is designed for humans, then just lazily stretched onto the other four races, there are a whole lot of armour pieces that just look downright horrible. Norn and Sylvari are often given mega-shoulders, and Charr would probably be better to be simply excluded from new armour the majority of the time, since the quality of Charr armour is so bad it generally just elicits a vicarious feeling of embarrassment on behalf of Anet for even releasing something like that.

The main issue with armour is that for GW2 Anet’s policy is clearly “quantity over quality”. Yes it would be more work to make higher quality armours that actually fit the other four races, but seeing how small a selection those races have, it could be argued that that is a wise use of dev resources rather than just making yet another human outfit that looks bad on the other four races. Again if we look at GW1, each armour set was designed for each class and sex, which means that the same armour was made 20 times to ensure quality.

Yes, some new skills will overshadow others, and some will not be used at all. How is that any different than GW2 now, besides the point that GW2 has hardly produced anything new? The existence of all the new heal skills besides the Ele and Mesmer heal were basically forgotten a month later… whereas the new Ele and Mesmer heals simply became the only heal for those classes you see in PvE. The main argument for simplifying GW2 so much in comparison to GW1 was that it would be easier to balance… however the balance in GW2 is arguably worse, since there just do not exist the tools for any sort of self balancing meta, due to a massive lack of options.

And not everyone is speaking from a point of view clouded by nostalgia.

kolompi.1287

“Yes, some new skills will overshadow others, and some will not be used at all. How is that any different than GW2 now, besides the point that GW2 has hardly produced anything new?”

How are 100 skills out of you would never touch 90 better than 10 that you actually use? It’s basically the same like you said. So you would prefer quantity over quality in skills but not armor?

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

20 or more new maps
tons of new monsters
2 new class
tons of new skills

GW 2 over 2 years
Redesign of wardrobes
1 new healing skill
redesign of lion arch
constant new story arc

Corrections:

• Exactly 1 year from the release of Prophecies(GW1) was Factions
  • Only 6 months from the release of Factions was Nightfall
  • 10 months after the release of Nightfall was EoTN

So it only took 2 years and 4 months after the release of GW1 for all of that new content.

In 2 months, it will have been 2 years and 4 months since GW2’s release.

And then we can really compare.

Posted by: Lucky.9421

Lucky.9421

PS – When I say ‘content’, I don’t just mean soulless MMO amusement park gameplay for players to chew through and consume. Anet really fleshed out the world in interesting and creative ways.

They really took their universe to imaginative places in those two and a half years. I just wish they can recapture that magic again.

Surbrus.6942

How are 100 skills out of you would never touch 90 better than 10 that you actually use? It’s basically the same like you said. So you would prefer quantity over quality in skills but not armor?

Yes, quality of armour (who wants to use horrible looking armour?), and quality of skills. The other 90% of skills aren’t simply thrown away and never used, as the game has a lot more depth than GW2 and many of those skills can see use in different builds, non-meta builds to challenge meta builds, etc.

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

Yes, and you know why they are going through the story? To get the HoM rewards in GW2… I’m sorry but the fact is, the people you see there now are there for Halloween and nothing else.

I can tell you for a fact GW1 is not as dead as you think, there are a ton of regulars and active guilds.

Zquests always being run, speedclears, vanquish, pvp is populated especially during the events which are always now, just depends what it is on.

If GW was dead I wouldn’t be playing it… and I enjoy it more than GW2 much of the time because it’s not a zerg DPS spam 1 type of game and I loooove my monk so nya~

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’